Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Obama has already picked Sri Srinivasan, and is just waiting for Tuesday's primaries to be over to announce.

-really smart guy Green Crayons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Oh my God! We've found attack ads that are misleading! What is this world coming to?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
NYT is reporting that Obama's pick will come "shortly" probably by the end of the week. Likely to be Sri.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

NYT is reporting that Obama's pick will come "shortly" probably by the end of the week. Likely to be Sri.

That's really too bad. I definitely like Paul Watford better.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Ogmius815 posted:

That's really too bad. I definitely like Paul Watford better.

Yeah, but he has no realistic path to the bench with less than 50 Democrats in the Senate. I wouldn't want to go through the nation's worst nomination fight knowing the whole while that I didn't have the voters either.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

dpbjinc posted:

Oh my God! We've found attack ads that are misleading! What is this world coming to?

We should definitely just let them all go by unremarked on because that solves the problem

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah, but he has no realistic path to the bench with less than 50 Democrats in the Senate. I wouldn't want to go through the nation's worst nomination fight knowing the whole while that I didn't have the voters either.

Save him for Hillary and the Dem Senate...hopefully.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Srinivasan would be the first :siren: not Christian (edit: uhh, not Judeo-Christian) :siren: Justice, that would be cool enough in itself.

Also the first Justice who is an immigrant?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Antti posted:

Srinivasan would be the first :siren: not Christian (edit: uhh, not Judeo-Christian) :siren: Justice, that would be cool enough in itself.

Also the first Justice who is an immigrant?

What do we know of his jurisprudence?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

gohmak posted:

He has an MBA so I'm suspicious.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

gohmak posted:

http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/03/an-assessment-of-judge-sri-srinivasans-rulings-or-i-read-all-these-ferc-cases-so-you-dont-have-to/

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gohmak posted:

Very little. He's a "no record to attack" candidate.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

More importantly, how is his name pronounced?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Looking forward to congresspeople embarrassing themselves mispronouncing his name

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

evilweasel posted:

I don't care about his acceptability with Republicans, I want to know if he is the right choice to start unfucking what the conservative Justices have hosed. If not then let Hillary (hopefully Sanders) Give us another Sotomayor.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It's taken almost a decade, but we finally get a sequel to my favorite weeks-long comedy event, BBC World Service Reporters Try to Pronounce "Barack Obama".

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

gohmak posted:

I don't care about his acceptability with Republicans, I want to know if he is the right choice to start unfucking what the conservative Justices have hosed. If not then let Hillary (hopefully Sanders) Give us another Sotomayor.

Agreed. The last thing we need is another Kennedy.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I think it's Shree Shren-ee-vah-sahn?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm seriously lolling at the idea that when Hillary wins, she'll somehow be able to get another Brennan through the Republican Senate rather than needing to nominate someone like Sri, who has a low key record. Sri checks every box but woman, and it will raise a huge shitstorm when he's not even given a hearing. If nominated, I really wonder if he'll get a hearing. I hope Obama et al spoke to the nominees about being potential sacrificial lambs.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Slate Action posted:

I think it's Shree Shren-ee-vah-sahn?

http://youtu.be/XWjiAuHpjWA

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gohmak posted:

The current Supreme Court is so far right that a moderate candidate will make it move so far and fast leftward that it will make your head spin. He won't be another RBG or Sotomayer but he will be part of a solid majority of Sane People and there won't be a meaningful difference between putting him or RBG's much younger sister on the court for a decade or so because the main task will be unfucking the law that the conservative majority has made.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm seriously lolling at the idea that when Hillary wins, she'll somehow be able to get another Brennan through the Republican Senate rather than needing to nominate someone like Sri, who has a low key record. Sri checks every box but woman, and it will raise a huge shitstorm when he's not even given a hearing. If nominated, I really wonder if he'll get a hearing. I hope Obama et al spoke to the nominees about being potential sacrificial lambs.

Given that Trump is going to be the nominee (or he'll be robbed at the convention) it is highly likely that a President Hillary gets a Democratic senate (for two years, then loses it in 2018 because the map is brutal then).

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm seriously lolling at the idea that when Hillary wins, she'll somehow be able to get another Brennan through the Republican Senate rather than needing to nominate someone like Sri, who has a low key record.

If Hillary wins it's possible the Dems win the Senate, too. But yes, it's possible only she wins the Presidency. Hell, it's possible Republicans win the White House and keep the Presidency.

I think if you're Obama and the Dems, you take Sri right now if you can.

The Republicans might go for him, too, for fear of the opposite doomsday scenario happening.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Hillary wont win

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

corn in the bible posted:

Hillary wont win

Thanks for this helpful information forums poster corn in the bible.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hillary wont win

The absolute hottest of takes.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 15, 2016

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

TheAngryDrunk posted:

If Hillary wins it's possible the Dems win the Senate, too. But yes, it's possible only she wins the Presidency. Hell, it's possible Republicans win the White House and keep the Presidency.

I think if you're Obama and the Dems, you take Sri right now if you can.

The Republicans might go for him, too, for fear of the opposite doomsday scenario happening.

Well as Obama & The Dems you also nominate someone because you refuse to accept the Republican's definition of unprecedented.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

duz posted:

Well as Obama & The Dems you also nominate someone because you refuse to accept the Republican's definition of unprecedented.

Well clearly he nominates someone. He has already said he's gonna do that. The question is how "big" does he go with his pick. Sri may not have been his ideal pick, but given the circumstances I think he would be a good one.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hillary wont win

Would you like to Toxx that?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

There's some debate over whether the President even has the option of not nominating someone. The Constitution says the President shall, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate etc. Not may.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

And it makes sense, the authors might have actually conceived of a scenario where an imperial executive tries to cripple the Supreme Court by refusing to fill it. A senate gone full hog obstructionist, probably not as much, since it's a body of multiple people elected by the States. They might have made it even more glaringly obvious.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 15, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, if anything I'm expecting them to dredge up school papers and peripheral poo poo if anything. Though some of his first amendment-related decisions suggest he might favor overturning Citizens United and side with consumers over lovely advertising practices. It's a really bland record overall, which is why I'm expecting the usual garbage to try digging up decades-old poo poo like volunteering affiliations or any work prior to the bench.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

God help him if he ever played softball.

e: wait he's a man, so uh, god help him if he ever didn't play softball??

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

"Mr. Srinivasan [pronounced poorly], we have here a photograph of you serving on the bench, and not playing softball. We also dug up this baby photo of you and i see neither glove nor bat in your hands. Why, Mr. Srinivasan, do hate America?"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rygar201 posted:

There's some debate over whether the President even has the option of not nominating someone. The Constitution says the President shall, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate etc. Not may.

I kind of want the President to surf the edge of a constitutional crisis by citing the "shall" thing, and saying that the Senate will be assumed to consent in this case unless they vote specifically to say that they do not consent.

Really ride the wave of this "lol nothing matters" year.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Squizzle posted:

I kind of want the President to surf the edge of a constitutional crisis by citing the "shall" thing, and saying that the Senate will be assumed to consent in this case unless they vote specifically to say that they do not consent.

And then the case gets to the Supreme Court and Thomas has an aneurysm.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Squizzle posted:

As the man himself said at the last Correspondents Dinner, Bucket.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

And then the case gets to the Supreme Court and Thomas has an aneurysm.

Would a lower court have any possible jurisdiction over the case, or would the SCOTUS have original jurisdiction? Because the possibility of a 4-4 or a 5-4 with the contested Justice in the majority would probably drive Roberts, not Thomas, to the edge.

Dude would be chain-smoking during oral arguments with white-knuckled, shaking hands, and using the handle of a loaded revolver as a gavel. Good opportunity to take bets on whether "[INAUDIBLE MUTTERING]" or "motherfucker" appears more in the transcripts, imo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Squizzle posted:

Would a lower court have any possible jurisdiction over the case, or would the SCOTUS have original jurisdiction? Because the possibility of a 4-4 or a 5-4 with the contested Justice in the majority would probably drive Roberts, not Thomas, to the edge.

Dude would be chain-smoking during oral arguments with white-knuckled, shaking hands, and using the handle of a loaded revolver as a gavel. Good opportunity to take bets on whether "[INAUDIBLE MUTTERING]" or "motherfucker" appears more in the transcripts, imo.

I think they will probably have original jurisdiction, but there is no way in hell that a brand new justice would hear a case about their own appointment.

I honestly don't know if the court has ever spoke to silence on confirmation to be acquiescing, but I do know of plenty of other situations where silence is a presumptive approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think they will probably have original jurisdiction, but there is no way in hell that a brand new justice would hear a case about their own appointment.

I honestly don't know if the court has ever spoke to silence on confirmation to be acquiescing, but I do know of plenty of other situations where silence is a presumptive approval.

Any chance Obama goes for this?