Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes that could never happen in a well trained western military

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAfIDeDB-mY

Oh

It'll buff right out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

How I imagine that went down:

"Hey, let's give those poor freezing grunts down there a show and do a sweet RTT swingaround."

"Isn't the air thinner up here? I might just be the gunner, but I do know we don't fly as well at high altitude."

"Nah, we'll be fine. Plus someone down there HAS to be recording this."

Coming to a dead stop and pointing the nose down also doesn't seem like the best idea, but then again whirly birds confuse the poo poo out of me with that whole blades acting as a giant wing thing. Would that be an example of "settling with power?"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

loving clickbait. It's actually not a horrible article, and corrects the misleading headline halfway through. Hiding is fine. Disguising as a civilian person/vehicle/aircraft is not.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Coming to a dead stop and pointing the nose down also doesn't seem like the best idea, but then again whirly birds confuse the poo poo out of me with that whole blades acting as a giant wing thing. Would that be an example of "settling with power?"

I think thats just a straight up stall.

edit: Wait, no, helicopter physics are weird.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 14, 2016

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

hobbesmaster posted:

edit: Wait, no, helicopter physics are weird.

Right? One of my neighbors has flown a helicopter for the hospital for about 20 years now and I don't know what he's talking about half the time. We get the occasional fly over from him or one of his buddies.

e: oops, I guess Russia lost one too many T-90

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/14/world/russia-syria-withdrawal/index.html

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Dead Reckoning posted:

The technology was fielded during the war, but LGBs were less than a fraction of a percent of munitions dropped and were basically reserved for high value targets, not the sort of thing you send a Bronco to get. There was some dicking around with laser spot trackers for CAS missions as well, but given the immaturity of the technology, I'd still be really curious how often it was used in the war. Despair was saying that the fact that they used laser designators on later blocks of aircraft was justification for calling the mod program a success. I'd disagree, as it's equally possible* that the Marines rushed an immature technology into combat and never really employed it to its full potential, but called it a success anyway.

*more likely

Well, no, we weren't using the Bronco to drop LGB's on Hanoi, but there was in fact a period of the Vietnam War where LGB's were being used regularly.

Hundreds of Paveways alone were dropped over the course of the war.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Forums Terrorist posted:

do you guys have bots

I built and used a few IRC bots for SIPR and JWICS.

They'd do things like list all my UAV's and fast movers I had stacked up in my ROZ, their call signs and plane type as well as on station times.

I could setup a ROZ with IRC and a radio and it would work beautifully until it didn't.

The until it didn't is when I'd find myself with no GBS feeds showing my preds, no LOS links like Rover or others to see what my manned recon planes were broadcasting.. And SIPR IRC went down because our tenuous connection was just that. Then all I'd have is a radio.

Controlling (in the mission control sense not terminal attack) preds via radio is the most goddamn difficult thing on earth, and those loving trailer monkeys never shut the gently caress up. Ever. And controlling manned may be easier over the radio but if I can't see what they're seeing I can't blow it up, and we can't send an assault force after the target, either. Once we became used to constant real time ISR and comms we came to rely on it. And oh god why am I remembering this poo poo. I hate UAV's so loving much.

Back to the bots though: There was a medevac status bot at one point in the war, and I know the RAPCON IRC room (RAPCON meaning radar approach and control, I believe) was using a version of my bot to list active ROZ's and poo poo.

If any of you are in a SIPR IRC channel and you see a bot idling doing nothing that's possibly my years old bot that I dorkily scripted to say "I am protected" anytime someone says "Do you have stairs in your house?"

And yes I've used DCC to get a girl I was getting deployed loving from to show me her lopsided boobies.

The GWOT was bizarre. Glad I'm retired.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Settling with power or vortex-ring-state is where the rotor flies through its own downwash when the ship is going straight down above a certain speed. Increasing engine power and rotor pitch have the opposite effect when this occurs, increasing the rate of descent. The recovery for this situation (I think) is slipping sideways and praying you have enough altitude left as the most likely place you will find yourself in VRS is during a landing maneuver.

But this is not what happened here. The apache has plenty of forward speed and simply ran out of height for the amount of lift/engine power he had available, same as what would have happened to an analogous fixed-wing airplane.

This is settling with power:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG7bL8Ox-VI

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It doesn't surprise me, given that because they can't drink and gently caress in their teens to blow off steam, young middle/upper-class Saudi men do poo poo like this: http://www.greenprophet.com/2010/03/saudi-arabia-death-toll-driving/

...and thus Saudi Arabia has the highest automobile accident rate in the world. So it'd make sense that giving them high-performance military air/rotorcraft would result in them doing stupid poo poo. The guy flying that was probably one of like 10,000 'Princes' and knew he'd never get in trouble for doing it.

A reminder that Apollo astronaut Gene Cernan once flew a helicopter directly into a river because he was hotdogging it for a bunch of women on a boat.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 14, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Right? One of my neighbors has flown a helicopter for the hospital for about 20 years now and I don't know what he's talking about half the time. We get the occasional fly over from him or one of his buddies.

He was at a high density altitude and an unusual attitude which is why I was thinking retreating blade stall but probably just CFIT.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Tsuru posted:

Settling with power or vortex-ring-state is where the rotor flies through its own downwash when the ship is going straight down above a certain speed. Increasing engine power and rotor pitch have the opposite effect when this occurs, increasing the rate of descent. The recovery for this situation (I think) is slipping sideways and praying you have enough altitude left as the most likely place you will find yourself in VRS is during a landing maneuver.

That makes more sense than any other explanation I've seen, thanks. Probably because it didn't have a bunch of weird words and diagrams with twirly arrows (which I kind of understand now). For some reason I was thinking it only occurred at low altitude due to ground effects, but I guess it can happen anywhere? It's just close to the ground where it's most prevalent/dangerous?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

those loving trailer monkeys never shut the gently caress up. Ever.

Or they never answer because they don't want to monitor the radio.

I kinda want to go whisper a bot now.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tsuru posted:

But this is not what happened here. The apache has plenty of forward speed and simply ran out of height for the amount of lift/engine power he had available, same as what would have happened to an analogous fixed-wing airplane.

This is settling with power:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG7bL8Ox-VI

So that part where he pulls up to a sickening halt and somehow yaws around so that his nose is pointing in the direction of travel again is actually safe? Seems like a fixed wing plane would not behave well if you tried to yaw like that in a stall.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
If I remember correctly the pilot wasn't used to the high altitude - leading him to believe he could pull the manoeuvre off.

Of course, I read that so long ago it could well have been from a YT comment instead of an official report :suicide:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PittTheElder posted:

A reminder that Apollo astronaut Gene Cernan once flew a helicopter directly into a river because he was hotdogging it for a bunch of women on a boat.

Was this before or after Apollo? Because that would be amazing in two entirely different ways. EDIT: It was during. He almost got thrown out of the program but Deke Slayton insisted he stay in. The guy who tried to get him canned quit in protest.

Also Jim Lovell blew out his cockpit's electrical system trying to plug in a do-it-yourself flashlight during a night flight, then found his carrier again using the ship's phosphorescent wake and landed without instruments.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 14, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Can anyone just write mirc script bots that deal with actual live military assets? :staredog:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

So that part where he pulls up to a sickening halt and somehow yaws around so that his nose is pointing in the direction of travel again is actually safe? Seems like a fixed wing plane would not behave well if you tried to yaw like that in a stall.

That's called a hammerhead stall and you'll see a few at every air show.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The Apache was executing a maneuver known as "Return to Target." A hammerhead stall (straight up, fall back, turn into the fall) at that altitude would've not only been a hull loss, but they'd have just dropped like a rock and died on impact, either by ~sudden deceleration~ or a pretty big fireball. As it stands, both were uninjured, but probably wished they'd died than go through the debrief.

EDIT: \/ what he said \/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 14, 2016

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

It's a standard aerobatic maneuver, both for helicopters and aircraft. In a plane it's fine as long as the wings are unloaded around 0G at the top of the maneuver (and thus not technically stalled). Then it's called a hammerhead.

The reason you don't do it in an actual stall with the wings loaded is that most aircraft will flip upside down b/c of the lift differential. For helos it's just a thing they can do pretty much anytime because the wings are always moving and you can load/unload the disc as you please.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Apache was executing a maneuver known as "Return to Target." A hammerhead stall (straight up, fall back, turn into the fall) at that altitude would've not only been a hull loss, but they'd have just dropped like a rock and died on impact, either by ~sudden deceleration~ or a pretty big fireball. As it stands, both were uninjured, but probably wished they'd died than go through the debrief.

EDIT: \/ what he said \/

Hurr, yeah its called a wingover if theres no actual stall.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Was this before or after Apollo? Because that would be amazing in two entirely different ways. EDIT: It was during. He almost got thrown out of the program but Deke Slayton insisted he stay in. The guy who tried to get him canned quit in protest.

And the guy who tried to get him shitcanned was Jim McDivittt, Gemini 4 and Apollo 9 commander, and at this point NASA management. Deke Slayton tried to cover it up right off the bat, after Cernan came back he asked him 'at what altitude did your engine fail?' Cernan told him honestly what actually happened, Slayton responded 'at what altitude did your engine fail?'. This was all part of a big fight within the astronaut corps over who would get command of the last flight, broken into Gene Cernan and Dick Gordon camps. Then there was all the drama of switching Joe Engle out for Harrison Schmidt so that an actual geologist could go to the moon. Every part of the Apollo 17 crew decision was insane.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 14, 2016

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

VikingSkull posted:

I hope we sunk it in retaliation for that South corvette the other year

Y'know, I think that was sunk by a PRC sub.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Vietnam Lighters
http://imgur.com/a/yUfm0

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

This is cool beyond words.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

It is.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

I really want that "Swamp - gently caress It" one. Nice and succinct.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

"Why me"

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Faster Blaster posted:

Here's a Bronco, because Broncos are cool.

Is there a reason there isn't a wildly-popular civilian version of the Bronco?

I believe they've been used by forestry services (or is that not true), and they seem to be tremendously effective airplanes.

edit:

I mean, drat.

edit edit: oh god boxplanes

:neckbeard:

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 15, 2016

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Boomerjinks posted:

edit edit: oh god boxplanes

:neckbeard:

Best registration/plane combo ever.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Boomerjinks posted:

Is there a reason there isn't a wildly-popular civilian version of the Bronco?

http://discussions.flightaware.com/post144377.html

I think the reason is that they kind of 'oopsied' once before. I'd also imagine getting parts would be a royal pain in the rear end.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

TheFluff posted:

I guess this is one way to drop bombs :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7SVePYcPZE&t=68s

(at around 1:15 in the video, in case the start-at thing doesn't work)

Napalm would be ok. Would not try it with HE though.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

TheFluff posted:

I guess this is one way to drop bombs :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7SVePYcPZE&t=68s

(at around 1:15 in the video, in case the start-at thing doesn't work)
That's fine, but it's only really effective for small bombs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqIJL8lx00o

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Remember, no matter how secure your job is, it will never compare to “crash helicopter while showing off, go on to command the most powerful and most expensive vehicle man ever built”.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 15, 2016

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Blistex posted:

Napalm would be ok. Would not try it with HE though.

That's what retarding tail kits are for.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General-purpose_bomb#Retarded_versions

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

TasogareNoKagi posted:

That's what retarding tail kits are for.

They make Marines sit on bombs?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Blistex posted:

They make Marines sit on bombs?

They make a marine general argue for the need for VTOL bombs.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

wdarkk posted:

Isn't that just a cruise missile?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wdarkk posted:

Wikipedia says 111 are still in service.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Isn't that just a cruise missile?
Cruise missiles generally don't involve an "L" at any point.

hobbesmaster posted:

Wikipedia says 111 are still in service.
Savage.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I'm sure the Corps can find a reason to 'need' the L.