Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

On the other hand I'm going to make it browser crashingly massive. :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Casual debate among friends is cool and good.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Casual debate among friends is cool and good.

Its nice when people can have a civil discussion instead of just dumping low effort pejorative posts. Everybody learns.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

On the other hand I'm going to make it browser crashingly massive. :twisted:

The Miho Morikawa thread forced me to switch to Chrome from Firefox.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
helck is cool and good

someone made a berserk comparison, and having read this and berserk back-to-back, i agree that a comparison can be made with the fantasia arc. in both stories, a human kingdom transforms and raises itself to new heights, but they explicitly force mixed feelings into the audiences, that everything is really hosed

also, helck the manga is very okay with humanity dying off through its own self inflicted foolishness, and while it sucks and a ton of cool flashback characters got merked, the series implies that it's not an existential threat. humans are but one of the civilisations in this world, others, like the demons, can carry the torch. the demons are cool people with their own cool civilisation and can self actualise in their own ways

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's not really self inflicted, almost nobody in the human kingdom had any say in the forced transformation. It's way more comparable to a coup, where a small group overthrew the natural state in the name of personal power.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
My belief is that Helck will probably have a bitter sweet but still very uplifting ending. It'll be both sad and beautiful. :cry:

Or if could just be one big happy ending and I'd be fine with that too but I'm predicting the former.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Believe in Helck!!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

enough of this arc. fighting is boring, get back to the silly stuff

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

I agree but some fight is important.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Davincie posted:

I wonder if Helck's author planned all that out when he was doing the initial silly stuff, or if he just to go for the grim downfall of humanity stuff partway through.

Also it's kinda funny they used the whole mikaros mindbreak twist on Edil and Hyura when Helck and whatever the mercenary leader's name was haven't met again yet. Then again I guess Helck himself is kinda reserved for whenever the author feels like writing silly antics.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fghts are best when they're contrasting with the humor though, and except for the peeking on helck chappies those have been missing from this arc.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I suspect that if you told people that they could suddenly become super buff and can fly and finally defeat their ancient enemies, you'd have a plurality of people signing up. Of course, the body wrenching transformation and mind control and egodeath would not be disclosed.

a cartoon duck posted:

I wonder if Helck's author planned all that out when he was doing the initial silly stuff, or if he just to go for the grim downfall of humanity stuff partway through.

It feels remarkable consistent, downfall of humanity was introduced very early on in the series. In contrast, Berserk felt that it changed a ton, the initial arc was insanely grimdark, then we got flashes of humanity in the Golden Age, finally we have Guts heavily relying on his friends (who had gone through their own character development arcs).

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

My favorite anime Gunbuster started out with robots doing trapese and push-ups. Three episodes later it seems like humanity is doomed and by the final episode I was bawling like a baby.

I think it was planned. It's cool to surprise your audience.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

My favorite anime Gunbuster started out with robots doing trapese and push-ups. Three episodes later it seems like humanity is doomed and by the final episode I was bawling like a baby.

I think it was planned. It's cool to surprise your audience.

That ones actually a bit different, gunbuster original idea was as a sendup to aim for the ace, hence the title. So the first handful of episodes are near beat by beat recreations of that and the second half is the original material.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I think it was planned.

Pretty sure it wasn't, since Anno said he and the team behind it just did whatever seemed fun and cool at the time and put it in for the hell of it, hoping it'd all work out.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

tsob posted:

Pretty sure it wasn't, since Anno said he and the team behind it just did whatever seemed fun and cool at the time and put it in for the hell of it, hoping it'd all work out.

Ah I didn't know. My understanding was there was a complete script bouncing around in limbo before Anno got ahold of it but I have no clue how much it changed after that. Apparently it "moved him to tears" so I assumed that the more serious and emotional things that happen later were there early on.

Either way I feel like it was planned with Helck.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well I could be wrong. I'm just going off what I've heard, since I never cared enough to look it up, being one of those peons that wasn't all that wowed with Gunbuster (beyond the ending). I could simply have heard wrong.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Ah I didn't know. My understanding was there was a complete script bouncing around in limbo before Anno got ahold of it but I have no clue how much it changed after that. Apparently it "moved him to tears" so I assumed that the more serious and emotional things that happen later were there early on.

Either way I feel like it was planned with Helck.

I have no proof of this, but the way they're talking in the episode 5 preview makes me think Gunbuster was originally intended to end on episode 4.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Droyer posted:

I have no proof of this, but the way they're talking in the episode 5 preview makes me think Gunbuster was originally intended to end on episode 4.

Which was pretty emotional and some pretty serious stuff had happened by then.

From what I remember of Aim for the Ace! Gunbuster basically leaves parody mode and becomes it's own thing after episode one. At least until you find out who's sick and dying in ep 5 but it's played completely straight at that point.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

tsob posted:

Well I could be wrong. I'm just going off what I've heard, since I never cared enough to look it up, being one of those peons that wasn't all that wowed with Gunbuster (beyond the ending). I could simply have heard wrong.

That's OK.

Anyway, I can't wait for the next chapter. Reading it on my tab at lunch yesterday was really cool. XD

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Jeungs character and arc are also present in aim for the ace. Episode 1 is directly referential but afterwards a lot of stuff is still taking from ace.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Jeungs character and arc are also present in aim for the ace. Episode 1 is directly referential but afterwards a lot of stuff is still taking from ace.

Yeah Ace takes a backseat and it basically shifts from parody to being referential by that point.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

tsob posted:

Yeah I can see that. I always kinda felt the individual parts of Gunbuster don't really complement each other, but rather compete with each other and each is a little bit worse off. Like you got Jung as the shoujo sports rival, but since Gunbuster is also at times a hard sci-fi show and a show about the horrors and loss of war that means she's in her first scene, then she and Noriko chill out on a beach, then Jung's willing to die for her, that's pretty much all the scenes Jung gets. You just never get a read on Jung really. Or we get stuff like love interest boy whose name I can't even remember since he basically just exists to die and show that fighting is bad and poo poo but since you only got much time inbetween talking about time dilation and living up to coochie's expectations he dies the episode he gets introduced in and it's all a bit too fast to get invested in.

Gunbuster just felt really slap-dash to me and it just never formed into a cohesive whole. I heard Diebuster's better about that so maybe I should watch that one one of these days.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

Yeah I can see that. I always kinda felt the individual parts of Gunbuster don't really complement each other, but rather compete with each other and each is a little bit worse off. Like you got Jung as the shoujo sports rival, but since Gunbuster is also at times a hard sci-fi show and a show about the horrors and loss of war that means she's in her first scene, then she and Noriko chill out on a beach, then Jung's willing to die for her, that's pretty much all the scenes Jung gets. You just never get a read on Jung really. Or we get stuff like love interest boy whose name I can't even remember since he basically just exists to die and show that fighting is bad and poo poo but since you only got much time inbetween talking about time dilation and living up to coochie's expectations he dies the episode he gets introduced in and it's all a bit too fast to get invested in.

Gunbuster just felt really slap-dash to me and it just never formed into a cohesive whole. I heard Diebuster's better about that so maybe I should watch that one one of these days.
I feel like diebusters was way more intentionally plotted out and even has recurring pieces of thematic symbolism that are present from the opening scene, carry through the whole show, and resound for the finale.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I still remember the love interest guy's name, mainly since Toren Smith was real

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I even forgot he was American until you said his name, all I remembered is that he died.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Eh I really don't feel like it was a slap dash. Sure Jung doesn't get much character development but I don't really think her development was at all necessary. Sure Iceman is there just to die and to contribute to Noriko's PTSD but that's not really bad or anything. As long as everything works toward whatever goal your trying to accomplish I think it's fine to have b characters that don't get much development especially when you only have six episodes.

Anyway I gotta eat.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

A picture of piuy would also be a spoiler to a new reader

I'm sorry

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The Miho Morikawa thread forced me to switch to Chrome from Firefox.

I'm sorry

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

.jpg posted:

I'm sorry

I'm sorry

.jpg is the source of all evils in the world, but also all hope.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Pandoras Gif.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

.jpg posted:

I'm sorry

I'm sorry

I miss a few things from Firefox but I think I prefer chrome.

Also nice to see ya again!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I was gonna divide up my post between these quotes but then decided it was probably obvious enough what I was talking about at any given moment.

Sharkopath posted:

Spoiler culture is bad and poisonous, but let's have some common courtesy and continue to perpetuate the myth of spoiler culture.

Sharkopath posted:

It's not a scene, single panels without dialogue where all subjects aren't visible is the equivalent of promotional stills for film where somebody is ensconced in shadow.

A picture of piuy would also be a spoiler to a new reader if you proscribe to the idea that any image at all would negatively impact the virginal reading experience.

If you use common sense it's easy to determine what is too revealing instead of blindly fumbling about because you are afraid of the dastardly spoilers.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

After the update is announced you'd think it'd be common sense that anything following it would be a potential spoiler.

:shrug:
Spoiler culture is bad because it results in people overreacting, stifling discussion, and acting ridiculously vicious over typically the most superficial aspects of fictional events, but that doesn't mean spoilers in and of themselves aren't still necessarily a problem. In the rules post for this subforum I ask people not to be jerks about spoilers in the same breathe I ask people not to be crybabies about them, and overall I've probably come down more on the crybabies than the jerks.

I don't think people should make such a big deal about spoilers, but I also think it's important to be considerate of other people's desire to not be spoiled. I also don't think just "Any" picture or piece of information constitutes a spoiler, and I laugh when I read posts/reports where people are mad about insignificant details like a new character showing up or what have you.

The issue with this particular picture and post was several-fold. First off, I actually agree that once the chapter/episode/whatever has been made available for everyone, "Spoiler" talk is immediately fair game and black bars are annoying anyway. As some others have commented, however, 4chan isn't exactly a board a lot of people feel comfortable visiting )for reasons both real and imagined), and some people can't access it anyway due to network restrictions, so I wouldn't really consider that a public release in the same way as having the chapter crop up elsewhere. Other people have already made this argument, I'm just agreeing with them. Secondly, the way checking the last post/scrolling through the thread works, a brief post like Burbo's followed by an enormous picture post like Sharky's are both going to show up at the same time on the screen, so a lot of people won't have the chance to register that they shouldn't be looking below Burbo's post before they've actually looked below Burbo's post - especially since images attract the eye moreso than text. This problem could just be solved by waiting a bit to post the picture, remote linking the picture, or heck, even double-posting "Gonna post this cool picture," then posting the picture. The latter scares off people who can't yet read the new chapter, but at least nobody gets taken by surprise.

The third thing is, well, the last few chapters have revolved around Edil and Hyura, Edil opening up to Hyura who he's come to love fighting against, and what's more showing some autonomy, the ability to break free of the king's control. So immediately following up the announcement of a new chapter with a (wordless) image of an heroic human (Edil by implication) with black wings and a shadowy face hovering ominously over Hyura who stands aghast, yeah, I can see how that would rub some people the wrong way with regard to implying the course of events and fate of the characters.

Anyway, this is a lot more about spoilers than I ever expected to be typing up and now the chapter's out anyway so it's all a bunch of stuff that happened in the past. My honest response to most spoilers is just "Huh, well then," but as the mod of this subforum I do have a responsibility to try and see and explain both sides and reach an arrangement - or at the very least an understanding - that both parties can accept (even if they ultimately still disagree).

TL;DR People should stop freaking out when other people posts spoilers or potential spoilers, but potential spoiler posters should also be a little more careful as a matter of common courtesy. Text can easily be skipped over the minute one realizes they're reading something they shouldn't, so talking about spoilers is pretty much never a problem IMO unless it's literally outta nowhere; a big image however is a bit more intrusive.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I meant what I said at the beginning of this tangent though: it really is a cool picture.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

I was gonna divide up my post between these quotes but then decided it was probably obvious enough what I was talking about at any given moment.

Spoiler culture is bad because it results in people overreacting, stifling discussion, and acting ridiculously vicious over typically the most superficial aspects of fictional events, but that doesn't mean spoilers in and of themselves aren't still necessarily a problem. In the rules
post for this subforum I ask people not to be jerks about spoilers in the same breathe I ask people not to be crybabies about them, and overall I've probably come down more on the crybabies than the jerks.

I don't think people should make such a big deal about spoilers, but I also think it's important to be considerate of other people's desire to not be spoiled. I also don't think just "Any" picture or piece of information constitutes a spoiler, and I laugh when I read
posts/reports where people are mad about insignificant details like a new character showing up or what have you.

The issue with this particular picture and
post was several-fold. First off, I actually agree that once the chapter/episode/whatever has been made available for everyone, "Spoiler" talk is immediately fair game and black bars are annoying anyway. As some others have commented, however, 4chan isn't exactly a board a lot of people feel comfortable visiting )for reasons both real and imagined), and some people can't access it anyway due to network restrictions, so I wouldn't really consider that a public release in the same way as having the chapter crop up elsewhere. Other people have already made this argument, I'm just agreeing with them. Secondly, the way checking the last post/scrolling through the thread works, a brief post like Burbo's followed by an enormous picture post like Sharky's are both going to show up at the same time on the screen, so a lot of people won't have the chance to register that they shouldn't be looking below Burbo's post before they've actually looked below Burbo's post - especially since images attract the eye moreso than text. This problem could just be solved by waiting a bit to post the picture, remote linking the picture, or heck, even double-posting "Gonna post this cool picture," then posting the picture. The latter scares off people who can't yet read the new chapter, but at least nobody gets taken by surprise.

The third thing is, well, the last few chapters have revolved around Edil and Hyura, Edil opening up to Hyura who he's come to love fighting against, and what's more showing some autonomy, the ability to break free of the king's control. So immediately following up the announcement of a new chapter with a (wordless) image of an heroic human (Edil by implication) with black wings and a shadowy face hovering ominously over Hyura who stands aghast, yeah, I can see how that would rub some people the wrong way with regard to implying the course of events and fate of the characters.

Anyway, this is a lot more about spoilers than I ever expected to be typing up and now the chapter's out anyway so it's all a bunch of stuff that happened in the past. My honest response to most spoilers is just "Huh, well then," but as the mod of this subforum I do have a responsibility to try and see and explain both sides and reach an arrangement - or at the very least an understanding - that both parties can accept (even if they ultimately still disagree).

TL;DR People should stop freaking out when other people
posts spoilers or potential spoilers, but potential spoiler posters should also be a little more careful as a matter of common courtesy. Text can easily be skipped over the minute one realizes they're reading something they shouldn't, so talking about spoilers is pretty much never a problem IMO unless it's literally outta nowhere; a big image however is a bit more intrusive.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Stop posting about posting, jeez!!!!

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Here's a spoiler free image

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

What we need is more train guy and less fighting.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

arguing about spoilers derailed both the thread and train guy's train, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

.jpg posted:

Here's a spoiler free image

I can't wait to see this animated.

• Locked thread