Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Since I am a corporate attorney, I don't usually have to deal with the minutiae of service of process rules. However, I find myself dealing with the minutiae right now; and, of course, the defendant is impossible to find. After doing some research, I think Florida might have one of the strangest substituted service provisions in the US:

Most of the statute is perfectly normal until you get to this part:

Fla.Stat. 48.031(6) posted:

 If the only address for a person to be served, which is discoverable through public records, is a private mailbox, substitute service may be made by leaving a copy of the process with the person in charge of the private mailbox, but only if the process server determines that the person to be served maintains a mailbox at that location.

I'm rather puzzled. Are there Florida attorneys here that have used this method of service? Does any other state allow substitute service on the "person in charge of" a private mailbox?

That statutory provision isn't talked about in any of the Florida practice guides I've seen. It just doesn't seem...I don't know...to be "due process." It's not like the guy "in charge of" the "private mailbox" getting served has any listed obligation to even mention the service to the guy who is actually getting sued. Now, granted - you've got to go through quite a bit of due diligence to get to the point where this provision is relevant; but still it seems crazy.

And I apologize for posting about CivPro for those who might be triggered right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Google says California has a similar provision. Surely Florida has some case law on the statute?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

joat mon posted:

Surely Florida has some case law on the statute?

It absolutely must, right?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I mean, IANAL but I googled florida serve process private mailbox and found a case that talks about service on a private mailbox. McDaniel v. Firstbank Puerto Rico

That case the substitute process to the mailbox provider was invalid but only because they served process at the mailbox center instead of at the defendants home. Their address was publicly listed, so they failed to meet the requirement that the mailbox service be the only publicly available address.

If you've done your due diligence and the mailbox is the only publicly available address, then substitute service is absolutely fine leaving it with the guy in charge of the box. Basically the courts down here adhere strictly to the service statute. The substitute service at the mailbox is done to prevent a potential defendant from hiding behind a PO box. I'm sure there's also some contractual duty or something on the owner of the mailbox place to notify someone when they receive service.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 12, 2016

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
It's very common for people to rent out private mailboxes and then abandon them, I've worked in collections and we get refused mail from those places all the time. The business probably doesn't have any information other than "that guy stopped paying for his mailbox six months ago." This is relatively tame, there are people who go to extreme lengths to dodge bill collectors and process servers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If he stopped paying for it months ago then service would probably be ineffective because part of the statute requires that the server verify he has an actual mailbox at the place. If it isn't current he doesn't have a box.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

If there's enough at stake, private investigators can and do serve process. Costs more, but they have their ways. There's also no rule against serving process at multiple locations. It can be messy, but one of those services might be effective.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's kind of amazing how much the courts are ok with dodging service.

In Illinois there's a statue for serving notice in evictions that's a precondition to the complaint, and it's actually impossible to do without the defendant agreeing to accept it. I really want to rent the finest airbnb downtown and then just dodge forever.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

joat mon posted:

Was it as much of a cluster as it sounds like it was?

It lasted about 5 hours when it should have lasted 2-3 (pretty typical for depositions requiring translation) and we had some technical issues we worked through, but considering the logistics it was pretty impressive.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Does BigLaw ever get better? 2nd year and Im tired.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 13, 2021

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sab0921 posted:

Yes, when you use that job on your resume to get a sweet government job and rediscover weekends. (Also, loans gone in 10 years.)

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

nm posted:

Yes, when you use that job on your resume to get a sweet government job and rediscover weekends. (Also, loans gone in 10 years.)

The only point of big law is loans gone in like 3 years. this $3000 a month better be doing something.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sab0921 posted:

The only point of big law is loans gone in like 3 years. this $3000 a month better be doing something.
Sanity is worth something.
Also pensions and vacations you're expected to use. I get like 5-6 weeks of vacation with one week mandatory vacation. It is pretty sweet. I turned down probably $40k more per year for this job, and I don't regret it.
You can't enjoy money if you don't have time to spend it on cool poo poo. (Rent and leased cars are not cool poo poo)

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

nm posted:

Sanity is worth something.
Also pensions and vacations you're expected to use. I get like 5-6 weeks of vacation with one week mandatory vacation. It is pretty sweet. I turned down probably $40k more per year for this job, and I don't regret it.
You can't enjoy money if you don't have time to spend it on cool poo poo. (Rent and leased cars are not cool poo poo)

When I started law school, I did it with the promise of a job in a minor local governmental office. I was seduced, and regret my decision every single day. I don't even get the cool leased car because of loans, and drive an 11 year old toyota :(

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Sab0921 posted:

It can. At some point (for me it was towards the end of my 2nd year) I found the combination of being better at stupid menial work (like making sig pages / marking up printer proofs etc), getting to delegate that work to new 1st years and being more involved in higher level aspects of transactions made the job actually not bad. Still long hours, and you still have to deal with your bosses and clients, but some aspects can get better.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Case before mine is a guy trying to terminate his parental rights to adult children.

It's not going well for him.

Edit: still going...

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 14, 2016

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

joat mon posted:

Google says California has a similar provision. Surely Florida has some case law on the statute?

It does; and the rule is surprisingly clear. The two-prong test is that the private mailbox has to be the only address discoverable through public records, and that the person serving the process must determine that the party to be served actually does maintain a mailbox there. The 'only address' part is the only one of the two that I could ever find any controversy on, and the 'public records' part of that prong is really cut & dry, especially in my case where I'm dealing with an internet-based company that doesn't have a real office. In a similar scenario, it's highly likely that you are likely to only be able to discover the business' state-registered address via public records.

Since I never really have to deal with civil procedure, I kind of find it fascinating. It almost makes me want to leave the Corporate world and go into private practice. Almost.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 13, 2021

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Lawgoons, how much do you deal with conflict of laws in your day to day practice?

i have a general belief that it is a thing that exists because i was told that in law school but have never seen evidence of it since

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Lawgoons, how much do you deal with conflict of laws in your day to day practice?

Not much.
However, our state law basically conflicts with itself, which is fun.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

nm posted:

Not much.
However, our state law basically conflicts with itself, which is fun.

The takeaway I got from law school was judges can just do whatever

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not even sure what it means anymore. Please cite me in your dissertation.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Every once in a while a contract has a choice of laws provision, and that means I have to change my default Westlaw jurisdiction. Does that count?

Usually it makes me grumpy. If I got grumpy enough I guess I could go out there and make a choice of laws argument to make the bad state stop touching me...

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

evilweasel posted:

i have a general belief that it is a thing that exists because i was told that in law school but have never seen evidence of it since

We had a workers comp file where the insurance contract required us to go to an international arbitration panel in Paris if we wanted to dispute over a $90k claim. The arbitration would have cost more than 90k, so we just threatened to go to court over the clause and they folded. That's the closest I have seen.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
All I remember about conflicts of law is it's the only thing more useless than international law.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

My dream is to specialize in conflict of international laws

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Sab0921 posted:

Maybe when you bring in business

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Twice in the last 5 years.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Tokelau All Star posted:

My dream is to specialize in conflict of international laws

War.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
So I got a formal notice today back from the school's code official that the school's decision to axe all hot water was wrong and never right but some places that were permitted previously will not have to be refitted with hot water.

I basically torpedoed an energy conservation policy because I had the gall to ask "hey, is this even legal?" I was apparently one of the only people that ever asked because this has been in place for at least 4-5 years.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

You still on track to graduate then move your taco truck to Austin?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Discendo Vox posted:

Pretty regularly. Dealt with it even more often as a clerk.

Doesn't come up in every case but matters a lot when it does.

Edit: in the past two weeks, I wrote memos or drafted motions on abstention, conflict of law issues, extraterritorial application of state/fed law, retroactive application of a statute, and some weird Chevron issues.

Fed courts and conflict of laws have actually been super helpful. It's hard to pick that poo poo up on the fly. I also love civil procedure, so maybe I self-select for this stuff.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 15, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 13, 2021

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Discendo Vox posted:

Interesting contrast with others in the thread (aside from it being important when it comes up, that's kinda a given). What's your area, again?

Labor and employment. I do a quite a bit of non-compete work, so there's a lot of procedural gaming and effort to get the suit in a more favorable jurisdiction (like one that will disregard a choice of law provision).

It's also related to the jurisdiction I'm in. Georgia used to be as hard as non-competes as California, so people would move to Georgia and file a declaratory judgment action.

Still happens for older non-competes. I had this come up in a case I worked on less than a month ago.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You still on track to graduate then move your taco truck to Austin?

I don't think I'll ever move this truck anywhere else. I've just about got it sufficient without me. Once it's bringing in enough money that I can pay a payroll company and someone else to handle taxes I'll just be able to sit back and collect checks. Might I move to austin later? I dunno. Depends on where life takes me.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
I practice in Canada and deal with conflict of laws a fair bit. Mostly inter-provincial issues, but occasionally foreign stuff as well.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Sab0921 posted:

#itgetsbetter

gvibes fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 4, 2018

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Sab0921 posted:

lol no, it actually gets worse. 4th year and its worse than its ever been and I'm gazing longingly at my window, really upset that they can't be opened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I hit the high point of my career yesterday when I found out that because my wife had a kid my unemployment benefit goes up about 1/3 over the prior cap. :hellyeah: