Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I didnt realize that the Commonwealth would be THIS much of a pushover once they annexed Lithuania....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

I didnt realize that the Commonwealth would be THIS much of a pushover once they annexed Lithuania....

I'm jealous, in my Brandenburg game they inherited Bohemia as well

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

pointsofdata posted:

I'm jealous, in my Brandenburg game they inherited Bohemia as well
Ugh that would be ugly, but still handle-able when they own all of three forts in that huge landmass.

edit: its odd, too, because both Poland and Lithuania had (free) forts on the border but now they are gone :confused:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Star posted:

Couldn't you just conquer the lands, core, add to HRE for IA, then release them for more members IA?

If you wanted to waste thousand(s) of admin, sure.

Bort Bortles posted:

In fairness, it looks like Sweden is also invading them at the same time?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PleasingFungus posted:

In fairness, it looks like Sweden is also invading them at the same time?
They are, what I am trying to highlight, though, is the lack of forts. Notice they only have one near Krakow, out in Russia, and in Northern Lithuania. For a total of three. I have that many forts in Greece. Bohemia has that many forts in the Hungarian land that they own. Warsaw doesnt even have anything but the capital fort.

Its pretty :stare:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Did you edit the files to make AI border forts not free? Because that can break the AI.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

Did you edit the files to make AI border forts not free? Because that can break the AI.
Its Ironman.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Beats me then. They must have been in pretty dire financial straits at some point and demolished a bunch.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Bort Bortles posted:

Its Ironman.

Technically you can do Ironman with mods now (but no cheevos).

e; For the actual thing, it might be that the AI doesn't take into account the forts being free when it assesses its finances and decides whether to keep or tear them down. It sounds like it should be like that in any case, that is a criminally low amount of forts for P-L.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Do border forts stay free when they're not on the border? Most of the borders of that Commonwealth are a province or two past Poland or Lithuania (or Moldavia or Mazovia)'s 1444 borders.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

YF-23 posted:

Technically you can do Ironman with mods now (but no cheevos).

e; For the actual thing, it might be that the AI doesn't take into account the forts being free when it assesses its finances and decides whether to keep or tear them down. It sounds like it should be like that in any case, that is a criminally low amount of forts for P-L.
Hah fair enough. But yeah it is an Achievement-capable, correct checksum, save. Everyone else has quite a few Forts, Muscovy has a truckload in its interior. PLC used to have a bunch, too, (Podolia, Ingil, Moldavia, Mamaros, Smolensk, ect) but at some point they all disappeared. I crushed them pretty hard shortly before the annexation button was pressed by the AI so maybe they were in debt when they merged to become the Commonwealth and that screwed the AI up?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The Commonwealth was a bit of a push-over in my game as Sweden. Problem is I ignored most of it to gobble up the tasty coastal parts, so a certain absolute ruler of a formerly insignificant balkan nation gobbled it all up and now I'm getting wrecked

:doom: leads an alliance of all the big protestant nations about to wreck my Swedish armies poo poo. So much border to cover, why did I ally Kiev :negative:

Personally I'm a fan of the AI super state of GAZIKUMUKH that teamed up with Persia and hosed over Russia.

Danland is a funny story in its own right. Started out as a small Danish Norse state that beat up all the other states in the UK except the similarly norse (but scottish) Highlander state. Then after it started up colonisation I got messages about how DOOMSDAY had befallen Danland, turns out they converted to Nahautl?? So I teamed up with the Highlanders and took London for keeps.

Don't worry though, Norse danes are still strong in the states of Haiti and the USA

Also sports an Ibadi Tosan (Japanese) colony in Mexico.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
huh what map mod is that?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Theatrum Orbis Terrarum + revolutionary borders mod and TBARW transparent political map mod.

Once you've tasted the sweet nectar of map mods you can't go back to vanilla claydo mode.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
oh wow I didn't realise Theatrum Orbis Terrarum was compatible with other stuff.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

That map projection is making me nauseated, or maybe it's just the fonts and colors and awful design choices

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

That map projection is making me nauseated, or maybe it's just the fonts and colors and awful design choices

Yeah I'll definitely take "claydo" or w/e over that,

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Prop Wash posted:

It's the latter, the projection is actually amazing.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Dev stream for Mare Nostrum is up, and... replay feature! So you can rewatch how the world developed through the course of your game, which is nice :)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Allyn posted:

Dev stream for Mare Nostrum is up, and... replay feature! So you can rewatch how the world developed through the course of your game, which is nice :)
That is awesome.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Rolling into 1700 as Bohemia, and I'm thinking I've stalled out. The Commonwealth is firmly allied with France, who gobbled up Iberia and can swat away any land force it feels like. I've got a strong alliance with Scandinavia, and Austria is somewhat reliable and has a PU over Russia. I've got the HRE locked down, but can't get any IA. Next time I get elected, I'll enforce Catholicism on the remaining princes I have sway over and see if I start accumulating IA after that. I guess I could afford to piss off some of the electors with a new king and expand into Germany, hoping that I have time to regain their favor by the time he gets old. But other than that, I feel like this game has kinda stagnated and it might be time to move on to a country with a bit more horsepower and/or colonial tendencies.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pimpmust posted:

Theatrum Orbis Terrarum + revolutionary borders mod and TBARW transparent political map mod.

Once you've tasted the sweet nectar of map mods you can't go back to vanilla claydo mode.

It's your game man, do what you want with it, but I don't understand how you can stand it being so god drat dark.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Allyn posted:

For anyone who wants a link: https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/54595539

e: 20% Siege Ability against people you've built up Spy Networks in? Jesus.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 15, 2016

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

It's your game man, do what you want with it, but I don't understand how you can stand it being so god drat dark.

It looks darker zoomed out than it does otherwise, something about taking screenshots too. It's only the ocean that's dark as gently caress ingame.

It's EUIV: Gothic.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Some achievements got added to SteamDB that seem to go along with Mare Nostrum:

• Mare Nostrum: Restore the Roman Empire and own the entire Mediterranean and Black Sea coast lines.
  • Kuban Cigars: As Kuba, own or have a subject own Havana and be the world’s leading producer of Tobacco.
  • Kushite Restoration: As a Nubian culture nation, own the entire Egyptian region as core provinces.
  • The Fezzan Corridors: As Fezzan, control at least 90% of the trade power in Tunis, Katsina, Safi and Timbuktu.
  • Victorian Three: As Basoga, Buganda or Karagwe, reach administrative, diplomatic and military technology level 32.
  • The Animal Kingdom: As Manipur, unite the Bengal region and convert it to Animism.
  • Golden Horn: As a Somali nation, fully own the Horn of Africa region and have a monthly gold income of at least 50 ducats.
  • Kinslayer: As Tver, Yaroslavl, Ryazan or Odoyev, eliminate all other Rurikovich nations without changing your ruling dynasty.
  • Choson One: As Korea, own or have a subject own all Shinto, Confucian and Buddhist provinces in the world.
  • Sailor Mon: As Pegu, have at least 100,000 sailors.
  • Networking: Have 100 point spy networks in 3 rival nations.
  • The White Company: Hire your army out to one side in a war and then the other.
  • Time Bandit: Successfully steal a map from another nation.
  • With a little help..: As Ragusa, lead a Trade League of at least 5 nations and guarantee the Ottomans’ independence.
  • Just Resting In My Account: Corrupt the officials in a rival country.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

FadingChord posted:

[*]Victorian Three:
Paradox's cruelty knows no bounds.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

FadingChord posted:

With a little help..

Ragusa achievement!? Ragusa achievement!?!?

!!!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

FadingChord posted:

Some achievements got added to SteamDB that seem to go along with Mare Nostrum:

• The Fezzan Corridors: As Fezzan, control at least 90% of the trade power in Tunis, Katsina, Safi and Timbuktu.

Let me just say that the Paradox method of deriving achievements from dumb puns and pop culture references is the best.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Antti posted:

Let me just say that the Paradox method of deriving achievements from dumb puns and pop culture references is the best.

Getting a Father Ted reference into the achievement files just makes my favorite game into my even more favorite game.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

Ragusa achievement!? Ragusa achievement!?!?

!!!

Isn't Krabater already a Ragusa achievement, essentially? The only other option is to culture shift to Croatian which sounds... irritating

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

quote:

Mare Nostrum: Restore the Roman Empire and own the entire Mediterranean and Black Sea coast lines.

gently caress. gently caress!!!! I already did Basileus. Why are you making me do it again.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Allyn posted:

Isn't Krabater already a Ragusa achievement, essentially? The only other option is to culture shift to Croatian which sounds... irritating

that's an incredibly dumb achievement, though. i mean, like... why

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Allyn posted:

That's the easy way: start as Hungary, dump a bunch of provinces, culture shift, and done.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

It definitely looks like I will be able to get Master of India in time :v:

All of the provinces in Italy that I have I got with Threaten War, which has been amusing. Also got some land from Georgia, Multan, and Russia that way. Typing that last sentence reminded me to do it some more and i just got Ryazan from Russia and Venice from Milan :iamafag:
Other than the multitude of regencies this has been a really fun run once I got so rich that I could use money to make things less tedious.
I'm preparing for a war with Ming to take the provinces in India that they just hoodwinked out from under me while I waited for a truce to end.

Any other achievements you guys would recommend going for while I am this nuts?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

That's the easy way: start as Hungary, dump a bunch of provinces, culture shift, and done.

Oh, that's true. Huh. Guess it was easier before Ragusa started with a guarantee too :doh:

Bort Bortles posted:

All of the provinces in Italy that I have I got with Threaten War, which has been amusing. Also got some land from Georgia, Multan, and Russia that way. Typing that last sentence reminded me to do it some more and i just got Ryazan from Russia and Venice from Milan :iamafag:
Other than the multitude of regencies this has been a really fun run once I got so rich that I could use money to make things less tedious.
I'm preparing for a war with Ming to take the provinces in India that they just hoodwinked out from under me while I waited for a truce to end.

Own all silk provinces is doable from there for sure

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Bort Bortles posted:

Silk Road for sure, you could try to grab the unify Islam decision too. Depending on who's colonized what you could probably get the three Georgias. And if you haven't gotten it already, dismantle the HRE.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

So my last 5 games or so I have played as a chickenshit custom nation that was western tech already. How should I go about dealing with the tech disadvantage while playing as the Ottomans? Should I purposely tank my tech at the beginning to westernize quicker or just let them gradually pass me, or should I not even worry about westernizing at all? I'll fully admit that despite playing over 300 hours I'm not super great at the game.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 16, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Take Vienna.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DurosKlav posted:

So my last 5 games or so I have played as a chickenshit custom nation that was western tech already. How should I go about dealing with the tech disadvantage while playing as the Ottomans? Should I purposely tank my tech at the beginning to westernize quicker or just let them gradually pass me, or should I not even worry about westernizing at all? I'll fully admit that despite playing over 300 hours I'm not super great at the game.

The Ottoman tech penalty is barely a penalty. You won't have any trouble keeping up in tech and ideas, especially if Mehmed II sticks around for a few decades (and in my experience he usually does). The penalty just means you'll have less points to spend on development, aka the thing you only do when you're about to cap on points. Even then, you have the option to conquer Wien or Prague for free westernization.

The Ottomans are hands down the easiest country to play as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Allyn posted:

Hell yeah

• Locked thread