Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bloodychill posted:

The sense I'm getting from the last couple pages is that FF13 is a bad game on every level possible. Like here's a few people including myself going "the way they use language is stupid" and then there's a bunch of people going "NO NO NO THAT'S NOT RIGHT. It's ACTUALLY awful because the story, pacing, and characters are complete poo poo." Like at this point, it sounds like an argument about whether it's the consistency or smell of literal poo poo that is so bad. God it even has terrible music.

gently caress that game. gently caress it forever, it is the worst Final Fantasy (yeah, worse than 8 and 3DS) and I am just glad FF14 and FF15 exist so that it is not the last idiot note to end the series on.

I like FF13, probably more than the average goon. But liking something doesn't mean ignoring its flaws.

Also the music is great, I don't think many people disagree with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

bloodychill posted:

God it even has terrible music.

Your opinions are bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEEr1jnvFTw

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
FF3 DS is garbage and there isn't much you can say about it thats good

FF13 had a fun combat system and good music and i didn't pay much mind to the plot other then as a visual spectacle, which it did well usually

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Baal posted:

I would be hard pressed to say something nice about FF3 since I haven't played it, but the music in the game is okay and it gave me Cloud of Darkness in Dissidia?

So yeah

It gave us the first job system so that's something

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Srice posted:

True enough

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

mandatory lesbian posted:

FF3 DS is garbage and there isn't much you can say about it thats good

FF13 had a fun combat system and good music and i didn't pay much mind to the plot other then as a visual spectacle, which it did well usually

The game's pretty as a picture but any game that spends thirty hours giving me piss easy fights the whole way through, then throws nothing but bullshit hard self-healing timed DPS checks every other encounter, then remixes the enemies so I actually can't backtrack to the solitary place in the game where I can do sidequests because as it turns out a REALLY USEFUL accessory is gated behind a sidequest that I didn't do because I didn't think I gave that much of a poo poo but then the stupid death pope is bullshit hard so I gotta at least try and then I realized I didn't give a poo poo and I turned the game off and never played it again.

What I'm saying is that FF13's battle system is stupid and it's only marginally improved in 13-2.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The game's pretty as a picture but any game that spends thirty hours giving me piss easy fights the whole way through, then throws nothing but bullshit hard self-healing timed DPS checks every other encounter, then remixes the enemies so I actually can't backtrack to the solitary place in the game where I can do sidequests because as it turns out a REALLY USEFUL accessory is gated behind a sidequest that I didn't do because I didn't think I gave that much of a poo poo but then the stupid death pope is bullshit hard so I gotta at least try and then I realized I didn't give a poo poo and I turned the game off and never played it again.

Ahahahahahaah

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What I'm saying is that FF13's battle system is stupid and it's only marginally improved in 13-2.

actually, it was fun

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Srice posted:

thats true but it was terribly implemented in the DS game since it hurt you for switching, which i absolutely detested

8-Bit Scholar posted:

i disagree

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think a lot of people here have played the original FF3, but I assume that one's not particularly noteworthy either otherwise I'm sure someone would be jumping to say something

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Baal posted:

Ahahahahahaah

did you actually read that i got bored after like 5 words and jumped to the end

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The only good Final Fantasy was Revenant Wings I just can't get enough Captain Vaaan of the Sky Pirates

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Erg posted:

actually, it was fun

Depending on your definition of the word.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I saw DPS race and knew who he was talking and that just tells me he's a salty baby and lost to one of the few bosses who isn't braindead.That being said the rest of that post is long-winded and boring as gently caress so that tells me why he loves 12 so much.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 15, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

XIII has a fun combat system when you're afforded full access to it. XIII's issue is that it takes so long to give you that.

Taking on Vercingetorix was great and is probably the best toughest boss in a mainline FF game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Baal posted:

I don't think a lot of people here have played the original FF3, but I assume that one's not particularly noteworthy either otherwise I'm sure someone would be jumping to say something

it's different and better in some ways (it doesn't hurt you as much for switching i think) but the major design faults (the main one always being the whole no safe points in the final dungeon thing) are still present

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Give it another chance. It is a hilarious gem.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Baal posted:

It's slightly better in that later jobs are a straight upgrade so you don't run into the job switching penalty as much and they didn't adjust for having less enemies on screen by giving them multiple attacks per turn but then you still have more enemies at once so... It's still a slog.

I probably couldn't pick which was worse between that or 2 tbh

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 15, 2016

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yes opinions are subjective, you also just posted a dumb paragraph about why the battle system was stupid because the "stupid death pope is bullshit hard". An opinion I don't agree with because he wasn't really bullshit hard

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

XIII is my favorite FF.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baal posted:

I saw DPS race and knew who he was talking and that just tells me he's a salty baby and lost to one of the few bosses who isn't braindead.That being said the rest of that post is long-winded and boring as gently caress so that tells me why he loves 12 so much.

The game doesn't teach you how to play it effectively, and it doesn't care if you do or don't for literally tens of hours, and then suddenly expects you to play the game "right", regardless of how you were playing or what classes you'd been building beforehand. It's absolutely garbage game design. Imagine if you were playing Mario and the first 7 worlds are all copy and pasted versions of level 1-1, and then you get to 8-1 and you suddenly have to hop across flying turtles over a deadly gap with no solid ground between the start and the goal. Sure, you can do it if you're good at the game, but you've never faced anything like that before, so by the time you teach yourself how to play the game, you've probably lost all interest.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

it's different and better in some ways (it doesn't hurt you as much for switching i think) but the major design faults (the main one always being the whole no safe points in the final dungeon thing) are still present

Sakurazuka posted:

It's slightly better in that later jobs are a straight upgrade so you don't run into the job switching penalty as much and they didn't adjust for having less enemies on screen by giving them multiple attacks per turn but then you still have more enemies at once so... It's still a slog.

RIP FF3 it seems you are doomed forever to be a game absolutely no one cares about, even moreso than FF2

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

fun is doing things i like. i like playing FF13 therefore it is fun

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The game doesn't teach you how to play it effectively, and it doesn't care if you do or don't for literally tens of hours, and then suddenly expects you to play the game "right", regardless of how you were playing or what classes you'd been building beforehand. It's absolutely garbage game design. Imagine if you were playing Mario and the first 7 worlds are all copy and pasted versions of level 1-1, and then you get to 8-1 and you suddenly have to hop across flying turtles over a deadly gap with no solid ground between the start and the goal. Sure, you can do it if you're good at the game, but you've never faced anything like that before, so by the time you teach yourself how to play the game, you've probably lost all interest.

Take a chill pill.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My biggest problem with FF3 is that you have to fight every single random encounter because trying to run away is basically suicide. I don't know if they changed that in the remake.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Well, okay then, good talk.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I care about nes ff3 but I am phone postin so i can't type many words right now

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You have like a talent for both trying to insult a game while not actually tackling any issues the game has so it makes you come off as insanely biased and is if I shouldn't take a single of your posts seriously because so many of them are covered in tiresome hyperbole.

Like " Sure, you can do it if you're good at the game, but you've never faced anything like that before, so by the time you teach yourself how to play the game, you've probably lost all interest." holy poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That Mega64 video with Sakaguchi where he tries to make every game worse than the last one until he gets to 4 and gives up because it's supposed to be FINAL Fantasy is probably 100% accurate

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

FFXIII does a super good job of teaching you to play it. The party gets divided into changing groups that specifically teach you how to use various roles together, and the eidolen fights are basically tests to see if you understand a roles mechanics

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Fister Roboto posted:

My biggest problem with FF3 is that you have to fight every single random encounter because trying to run away is basically suicide. I don't know if they changed that in the remake.

The remake changed it so fighting battles is also suicide.

Also I like 3 a lot because it has great music and the game has a surprising amount of charm for a late-gen NES RPG but it is definitely janky and flawed and I won't pretend it's a missing gem even though it's one of my favorite FF's for completely irrational reasons.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Baal posted:

RIP FF3 it seems you are doomed forever to be a game absolutely no one cares about, even moreso than FF2

FF2 tried something radically new in it's leveling system and while it failed really bad i like it from that perspective cause it set the trend of final fantasies all being different and unique

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FF2 tried something radically new in it's leveling system and while it failed really bad i like it from that perspective cause it set the trend of final fantasies all being different and unique

Yeah, FF2's worth talking about even though that game's steeped in lovely mechanics and bad gameplay and horrible grinding skills poo poo. It sets a lot precedents for the series and gave us some iconic monsters, a different levelling system, and attempts to innovate instead of just being iterative. FF3's job system makes it worth remembering, but it seems like it does far less comparitively.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Baal posted:

Also I'd assume that those who have have done so on an emulator so at least the whole save point thing stops being an issue. But yeah if I'd have to pick one I prefer FF2 over 3 because even though both are bad 2 is bad in memorable hosed up ways, while 3 is just kind of there, being bad.
(no loving way I'd ever replay the NES versions of any of the games though)

But some of the music is very cool and good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HswVZ4u9Ycg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbcGA_N9Hmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKk0Cu3hZxk

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Games shouldn't teach you how to play with full efficiency. Learning that is most of the fun.

FF13 teaches you along the way that you need to bring Sentinels in to survive big hits, Ravagers to stagger, Commandos to deal high damage to staggered enemies and that Saboteurs and Synergists are also very handy and shouldn't be abandoned for trying to kill as soon as possible. If you know all of those things, there's literally nothing in either XIII or XIII-2 that you need to know in order to win against any enemies.

13 does sort of assume that once you get to Archylte Steppe, you're going to take the time to explore and do some quests and level up now that you have freedom and the boss at the end of the chapter is tuned for that.

Like, saying FF13 doesn't hold your hand enough is mindblowing to me when almost all criticism about the game is that it does it for a good 20 hours too long.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
FF2 also sets a precedent for all FF games being bad

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

FF2 gave us SaGa.

It will always hold a special place in my heart forever if just for that alone.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Baal posted:

Yeah, FF2's worth talking about even though that game's steeped in lovely mechanics and bad gameplay and horrible grinding skills poo poo. It sets a lot precedents for the series and gave us some iconic monsters, a different levelling system, and attempts to innovate instead of just being iterative. FF3's job system makes it worth remembering, but it seems like it does far less comparitively.

the nicest thing i can say is that FF3 creating the job system but kinda messing up how to do it helped them correct those mistakes so FF5 could be so dang good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Veib posted:

Also I'd assume that those who have have done so on an emulator so at least the whole save point thing stops being an issue. But yeah if I'd have to pick one I prefer FF2 over 3 because even though both are bad 2 is bad in memorable hosed up ways, while 3 is just kind of there, being bad.
(no loving way I'd ever replay the NES versions of any of the games though)

But some of the music is very cool and good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HswVZ4u9Ycg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbcGA_N9Hmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKk0Cu3hZxk

It's probably weird to say I feel a sort of nostalgia for tracks like that even though my experience with them is Dissidia and Theatrhythm, but god drat if that old rear end game music isn't still nice sounding.