Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hra Mormo posted:

They're not, they're garbage ideas which act as band-aids for terrible internal balance in codices, except GW being GW we now have what we have. Even when a better game like WMH does it it sucks, you're stuck with units which are only worth taking in a theme list and will never get fixed because then they'd be too good in the theme list. Sure you could just toss the whole formation/theme list from the updated rules, but now you have a bunch of people with entire armies no longer legal by the current rules.

Units that are garbage should get fixed so you can take them when you want. Trying to fix it with formations is the laziest option possible.

Well, that's the thing. I don't think they are actually trying to fix anything.

I don't disagree with you though. They should absolutely tighten up the core game before putting anything ontop.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

BULBASAUR posted:

Well, that's the thing. I don't think they are actually trying to fix anything.

yeah lol they ain't tryin to fix poo poo, Formations exist to sell more models. Formations are obviously resulting in better sales numbers for these lovely bundles and such, especially for the tiny effort they put in. Throw a sheet of paper with some words on it into the box and all of a sudden these box sets that would normally gather dust are selling out. GW doesn't make good business decisions very often but the figures show that these lovely Formations are moving product. Is it at the expense of cannibalizing their own customer base? Who the gently caress knows, they don't have metrics for that kind of thing!

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I don't think that GW realizes just how unfriendly this lovely game is for new or returning players right now. It's always been obtuse and lovely but this is the fuckin' worst. From an outside perspective, their strategy seems schizophrenic; are they trying to sell more and more bullshit to an ever-dwindling hardcore fanbase or are they trying to draw in new players with utter trash like Age of Sigmar? AoS has to be a huge loving loss for them, that poo poo is dead.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Hra Mormo posted:

They're not, they're garbage ideas which act as band-aids for terrible internal balance in codices, except GW being GW we now have what we have. Even when a better game like WMH does it it sucks, you're stuck with units which are only worth taking in a theme list and will never get fixed because then they'd be too good in the theme list. Sure you could just toss the whole formation/theme list from the updated rules, but now you have a bunch of people with entire armies no longer legal by the current rules.

Units that are garbage should get fixed so you can take them when you want. Trying to fix it with formations is the laziest option possible.

I agree with Bulbasaur in that I definitely think it's about selling models and not fixing anything. The game is a total unbalanced mess, but I don't think formations can't work--even in a game where all the units are good, it's OK to have bonuses for either fluffy, suboptimal strategies or more/less flexible ones. But yeah, as-is, they're just not good for anything other than moving models and the "free stuff" formations are straight-up unbearable.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Phyresis posted:

I don't think that GW realizes just how unfriendly this lovely game is for new or returning players right now. It's always been obtuse and lovely but this is the fuckin' worst. From an outside perspective, their strategy seems schizophrenic; are they trying to sell more and more bullshit to an ever-dwindling hardcore fanbase or are they trying to draw in new players with utter trash like Age of Sigmar? AoS has to be a huge loving loss for them, that poo poo is dead.

This is pretty much what turned me to WM/H this go-round. I was getting the itch, and the cost of the new rulebook and a codex alone was like "nope."

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Iron Crowned posted:

This is pretty much what turned me to WM/H this go-round. I was getting the itch, and the cost of the new rulebook and a codex alone was like "nope."

Yeah I really like GW's printed materials from a quality standpoint, but the cost of entering the game and staying with an army seems pretty untenable as a business strategy, especially given how little support those materials get from an editing and FAQ standpoint.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
My problem is that some of these data slates are very lacking in substance for something you buy. Like, I got the Hellbrute one, and that was cool because it expands on the fluff a bit more. Then you have something like Kharns butcher hoard which just has a cover sheet, the rules, then the copywrite info.

That and it looks like some of the formations are gimped in a way that contradicts the fluff does what looks like an attempt at balance, while others are trying to be extremely fluffy at the expense of them being pretty powerful.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Balance is otiose in the niche.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Buy my loving Deffkopta you stupid GW idiots!!!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
More cultists with a better picture and basing. Just upgraded from an iPhone 5 to 6, turns out the camera is nicer--who knew?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I'm looking at needing a mad scientist nurgle type guy. Maybe a dude in a dude in labcoat with a big axe or something.

Think an inquisitor scientist who's experiment went very very wrong.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Naramyth posted:

I'm looking at needing a mad scientist nurgle type guy. Maybe a dude in a dude in labcoat with a big axe or something.

Think an inquisitor scientist who's experiment went very very wrong.

Human, not space marine, right? If so, try looking at McMourning from Wyrd's Malifaux range. The old metal one (with the proctologist glove) if you want cartoony, the newer plastic one with the head on the platter if you want slightly less cartoony/more sinister.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Fabius Bile could work if you like doing conversion work. He is not as bulky as your typical marine, and is wearing a long coat.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

jadebullet posted:

Fabius Bile could work if you like doing conversion work. He is not as bulky as your typical marine, and is wearing a long coat.
A long coat made of faces stitched together. He's actually aged remarkably well for a 2nd ed sculpt.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Germ posted:

Human, not space marine, right? If so, try looking at McMourning from Wyrd's Malifaux range. The old metal one (with the proctologist glove) if you want cartoony, the newer plastic one with the head on the platter if you want slightly less cartoony/more sinister.

I can see the labcoat guy working. Is he metal though?

SRM posted:

A long coat made of faces stitched together. He's actually aged remarkably well for a 2nd ed sculpt.

Yeah that's pretty good. He's in finecast so chopping him will be easier.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Naramyth posted:

Yeah that's pretty good. He's in finecast so chopping him will be easier.

I didn't know that Finecast still existed

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

No new Finecast. It's only used as it should be: for the molds that were for metal models.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Not entirely true, they've made new moulds just for finecast. The thunderfire cannon is a totally new cut compared to the original. God I hope all that poo poo ends up in plastic at some point

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I have a finecast tfc. It honestly isn't a bad kit. The tracks were all one piece which was very nice.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TTerrible posted:

Not entirely true, they've made new moulds just for finecast. The thunderfire cannon is a totally new cut compared to the original. God I hope all that poo poo ends up in plastic at some point

As in IG player I have accepted that this will never ever be the case. :(

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Iron Crowned posted:

They dropped the Finecast name because it's got a kind of toxic association at this point. It's just resin now. I got a resin Thrakka back in January, and aside from a bubble or two under his feet it's a pretty much perfect cast.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Besides from the occasional bendy sword and green-stuffable bubble, GW's resins have gotten much better since they dropped Finecast. But I'm so much happier now they're forging ahead with making everything plastic, GW's still probably got the best plastics I've worked with.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

SRM posted:

They dropped the Finecast name because it's got a kind of toxic association at this point. It's just resin now. I got a resin Thrakka back in January, and aside from a bubble or two under his feet it's a pretty much perfect cast.

Just got an Illuminor Szeras yesterday for my ally game this Friday and beside from a small bubble that cut off a kneeguard which I fixed with a touch of greenstuff it was fine. Even took a basecoat of paint with no cleaning because I'm impatient.

Still has a case of the bendy staves, but that'll be fixed with a lighter when I get home.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
30 years of grim, dark, grimdarkness:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm curious what they can really do to be novel at this point beyond just rereleasing the original RTB01 Marines. Like a plastic kit of Mk. 6 guys would just fit in with Heresy stuff and not seem like anything too special.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I know a guy who hates beakies, but plays Raven Guard. :wtc:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

Even as a guy who will never play Space Marines, beaky armor is the best and if they stuck with those kinds of looks for their marines I might be tempted to buy them.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

What? Something not AoS?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

Its impossible to hate beakies, you must be mistaken.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Its impossible to hate beakies, you must be mistaken.

My roommate hates beakies.

I made a punch captain on a bike to spite him.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The Warstore used to have a bits service, and it included a bits buyback program. I sold them all my beakie helmets and got $100. Suck it, beakailures :smug:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I used to hate beak helmets when I first saw the old Marine artwork but then realized I just hate the old artwork and that beak helmets are ok.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I hope they delebrate 30 years of 40k the same way they celebrated 30 years of Fantasy :v:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Uroboros posted:

I used to hate beak helmets when I first saw the old Marine artwork but then realized I just hate the old artwork and that beak helmets are ok.

I really like the helmet on the Heresy/Maximus/IV helmets that have the same vents as the beakie and are pointed a bit but are downturned more so they look like a proper gas mask. I think thats a good midway point.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

TTerrible posted:

I hope they delebrate 30 years of 40k the same way they celebrated 30 years of Fantasy :v:

Goddamn you.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Uroboros posted:

That's pretty much how I feel too.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Speaking of beak helmets, what ever happened to those Forgeworld Ravenguard upgrade helmet kits where one of the helmets was a bird skull? They still have an upgrade kit, but no bird skull helmet.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

Inshallah. :getin:

That would be beautiful, but I don't see it happening. 40k was updated too recently and is selling too well despite their best attempts at ruining the game.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Naramyth posted:

I can see the labcoat guy working. Is he metal though?

The old one is metal. The new one with the head on the plate is plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Out of interest how well do the Malifaux human miniatures scale when next to 40K humans. They have some really interesting sculpts.

• Locked thread