Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

Because that part of the voter's pamphlet was made up before Trump entered the race would be my guess

Trump entered the race earlier than Kasich did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Slate Action posted:

Ohio:

"I want someone with experience in politics" - 43%
"I want someone from outside the system" - 50%

omg

I hope somw of that outside number is Cruz??

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dolash posted:

I'm trying to figure out who the Republicans will put up for 2020. Rubio's going to go down a humiliating failure, Cruz might hold on for contending well with Trump although a lot will ride on how he handles losing the nomination. I guess Kasich isn't too badly damaged, even if he loses Ohio he hasn't been publicly crushed like the others and can go back to his day-job then run again on his qualifications. Jeb! is dead as gently caress for blowing so much money with no returns, Walker proved himself incompetent at the national level, Rick Perry's star has faded, Huckabee and Santorum never had a shot, Carson's done his thing, Christie was Reeked, Fiorina is out...

Obviously if Trump somehow won, even assuming we'd still have elections in 4-8 years is a jump so nobody can guess what the GOP of that dark timeline would look like.

Pence, Mitch Daniels, any number of crazy Tea Party Congressmen, Thune, Mike Lee, Brownback, Nikki Haley, Brian Sandoval, Snyder (he did explore running, before the current shitstorm coming out of Flint), empowered billionaires, WWF personalities

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I really want Newt and Cain to make another run at it even though Trump is pretty much a weird mix of those two guys with an extra bonus layer of entertainment

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

I would guess Russia because Putin is a big tuff man and doesn't ride little girl bikes.

Obama rides a little girl's bike?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

rear end cobra posted:

I really want Newt and Cain to make another run at it even though Trump is pretty much a weird mix of those two guys with an extra bonus layer of entertainment

Cain was taken away from us too soon. If he ran in the 2016 cycle, he probably be beating Cruz, Rubio, and Kasich.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Dolash posted:

I'm trying to figure out who the Republicans will put up for 2020. Rubio's going to go down a humiliating failure, Cruz might hold on for contending well with Trump although a lot will ride on how he handles losing the nomination. I guess Kasich isn't too badly damaged, even if he loses Ohio he hasn't been publicly crushed like the others and can go back to his day-job then run again on his qualifications. Jeb! is dead as gently caress for blowing so much money with no returns, Walker proved himself incompetent at the national level, Rick Perry's star has faded, Huckabee and Santorum never had a shot, Carson's done his thing, Christie was Reeked, Fiorina is out...

Obviously if Trump somehow won, even assuming we'd still have elections in 4-8 years is a jump so nobody can guess what the GOP of that dark timeline would look like.

I'd say Rubio, Cruz and Kasich will be back for sure. I don't know if you've noticed but the GOP has no problem nominating the previous cycle's losers. Huckabee and Santorum will always be back because they're running for the money not to win. Jeb! feels unlikely, he was humiliated pretty bad, plus the only advantage he had was his apparent inevitability and the money he raised with it, clearly that can't work again. Walker (remember him?) is difficult to guess, he burned through his money like an idiot.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
They see me pollin'
They hating

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Pence, Mitch Daniels, any number of crazy Tea Party Congressmen, Thune, Mike Lee, Brownback, Nikki Haley, Brian Sandoval, Snyder (he did explore running, before the current shitstorm coming out of Flint), empowered billionaires, WWF personalities

Tom Cotton is 100% going to be the next conservative darling: young, handsome veteran, quick rise through the ranks (one term in the House before ousting an incumbent senator with ease, already distinguished himself from the rest of the freshman class), enormous hawk and conservative in all other avenues.

I think Bill Haslam will be a major contender too: two-term governor of a decent-sized state (TN), billionaire, able to govern like a moderate in spite of his lunatic state legislature. Assuming the party hasn't completely swallowed itself in some orgiastic Trump death-spasm, I could see him being a strong candidate.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Slate Action posted:

Ohio:

"I want someone with experience in politics" - 43%
"I want someone from outside the system" - 50%

:vince:

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
please let donald trump win it all so there is no contested convention. let the koch brothers witness the billions of dollars they poured into politics burn away and their careful infrastructure they have built be drowned in a tide of orange bronzer.

let them choke on it, before they go from this earth i want them to know that their dreams of a 3rd world united states where they ruled was destroyed by a man who sold steaks for the sharper image. and that they can never ever fix it.

let the repiblicans eat the poo poo they have cultivated for nearly the past 20 years. i want to see each and every one of them have the face of christie at the convention. or them rush the stage and stab him to death like cesear. its the ides of march, lets do this poo poo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Franco Potente posted:

Tom Cotton is 100% going to be the next conservative darling: young, handsome veteran, quick rise through the ranks (one term in the House before ousting an incumbent senator with ease, already distinguished himself from the rest of the freshman class), enormous hawk and conservative in all other avenues.

I think Bill Haslam will be a major contender too: two-term governor of a decent-sized state (TN), billionaire, able to govern like a moderate in spite of his lunatic state legislature. Assuming the party hasn't completely swallowed itself in some orgiastic Trump death-spasm, I could see him being a strong candidate.

Good additions.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Unfortunately many idiots believe this also applies to Canadian Cruz.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Franco Potente posted:

Tom Cotton is Palin-level stupid, though.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dapper Dan posted:

please let donald trump win it all so there is no contested convention. let the koch brothers witness the billions of dollars they poured into politics burn away and their careful infrastructure they have built be drowned in a tide of orange bronzer.

let them choke on it, before they go from this earth i want them to know that their dreams of a 3rd world united states where they ruled was destroyed by a man who sold steaks for the sharper image. and that they can never ever fix it.

let the repiblicans eat the poo poo they have cultivated for nearly the past 20 years. i want to see each and every one of them have the face of christie at the convention. or them rush the stage and stab him to death like cesear. its the ides of march, lets do this poo poo.

The Koch Brothers aren't going to be hurt all that much by a Trump presidency. Hell, they'll probably end up getting most of what they want.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/709852195487809536

was this posted? lol this is what happens when rubio gets back to his local dealers in FL

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dapper Dan posted:

*looks at menu momishly* Oh I just don't know, everything looks so delicious.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Obama rides a little girl's bike?

According to that dude he does

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Dapper Dan posted:

Amen. :o:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Ohio GOP - "do you feel betrayed by your party's politicians?"

YES - 57%
NO - 39%

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Maoist Pussy posted:

Tom Cotton is Palin-level stupid, though.

Somehow, I don't think that will be insurmountable problem for the electorate.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Slate Action posted:

Ohio GOP - "do you feel betrayed by your party's politicians?"

YES - 57%
NO - 39%

Rip Kasich lol

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

DaveWoo posted:

The Koch Brothers aren't going to be hurt all that much by a Trump presidency. Hell, they'll probably end up getting most of what they want.

The stories we have seen about the Kochs so far seems to indicate that they are strongly anti-Trump, but weren't convinced spending money on ads would work.

Threatening trade wars is going to keep the Kochs firmly in the anti-Trump space. The fact that he is ending the GOP at the national level after they spent so much money building up the party probably doesn't sit too well with them either.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Franco Potente posted:

Tom Cotton...handsome

What now?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

TyrantWD posted:

The stories we have seen about the Kochs so far seems to indicate that they are strongly anti-Trump, but weren't convinced spending money on ads would work.

Threatening trade wars is going to keep the Kochs firmly in the anti-Trump space. The fact that he is ending the GOP at the national level after they spent so much money building up the party probably doesn't sit too well with them either.

this. also remember that the kochs want things that they can control, people they can buy. political creatures. trump is anything but controllable. he is capricious and his massive unfavorables as well as his outsider appeal threaten to undermine them since all of their people are insiders. thats why they are strongly anti trump.

also remember, the one thing above all else that trump cares about is his brand. which does not align in the least with the kochs.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Compared to most of the bridge trolls that comprise the political stage (see: Cruz, Ted), Cotton is downright Brando-esque (if a bit giraffe-like).

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/meetthepress/status/709853454534119424

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Spoiler: they won't.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

yowza!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
You know what still astounds me is you can listen to people talk and length about how toxic Donald Trump is, how he could possibly destroy the party, that he is terrible in every way and in the next breath they say they will support whoever the Republican nominee who very well could be Trump.

What the gently caress is wrong with these people, you aren't supporting your shity local sports team, this is the president of the United States and you just told me how Trump is one of the worst things to ever happen to Republican politics but you would still vote for him because he has an R next to his name.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Those pained bottoms have quite a long time to heal, and also hear Hillary's voice in their ears

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
50% wanting an "outsider" is much lower than the previous primaries and Trump won't get 100% of that bloc, so that is actually not a super hopeful result for Trump. It depends how the "experience" section of the vote splits.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Three Olives posted:

You know what still astounds me is you can listen to people talk and length about how toxic Donald Trump is, how he could possibly destroy the party, that he is terrible in every way and in the next breath they say they will support whoever the Republican nominee who very well could be Trump.

What the gently caress is wrong with these people, you aren't supporting your shity local sports team, this is the president of the United States and you just told me how Trump is one of the worst things to ever happen to Republican politics but you would still vote for him because he has an R next to his name.

He may be the worst thing ever but he's OUR worst thing ever.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

That's odd, Cotton looks like the sexiest man alive right now.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

is that a GOP member? not enough mouth boogers

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Three Olives posted:

not all are like this. my dad is a republican and he has always voted straight r, even with palin (he liked mccain a lot). but he wouldn't vote if trump was on the ticket and he has been a life long repub. he said he would vote for hilary. i believe him because every time i mention trump he looks like he is going to throw up and doesn't want to talk about it.

CalvinCoolidge
Dec 27, 2008

Three Olives posted:

They're probably just saying that so people won't think that they're racist. Then they go home and worship at their personal Trump shrine.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dapper Dan posted:

not all are like this. my dad is a republican and he has always voted straight r, even with palin (he liked mccain a lot). but he wouldn't vote if trump was on the ticket and he has been a life long repub. he said he would vote for hilary. i believe him because every time i mention trump he looks like he is going to throw up and doesn't want to talk about it.

There are a lot of dads like this, it seems.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Ohio GOP - "would you be satisfied with a Trump vs. Clinton matchup?"

WOULD BE SATISFIED - 53%
WOULD SERIOUSLY CONSIDER THIRD PARTY VOTE - 41%

Ohio seems to be the least happy about Trump/Clinton of all five states today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm tingling with anticipation!

For reference when I went to vote in suburban Cleveland today, the line was held up by a tiny ~90 year old man with a walker. The poll worker was repeatedly asking him if he wanted the Democratic or Republican ballot, and he was loudly and proudly proclaiming his desire to vote for Trump.

His wife finally had to come over and indicate that he wanted the Republican ballot.

• Locked thread