Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Apparantly a couple OV-10's were dusted off, refurbished, and have been flying sorties against ISIS: http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/ov-10-broncos-were-sent-to-fight-isis-and-they-kicked-a-1764407068

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Do Astronauts have to have pilot licenses?

Nowadays that depends on the kind of astronaut you are. The pilot types require so many flying hours a year, so they do. The scientist types do not.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

PittTheElder posted:

Nowadays that depends on the kind of astronaut you are. The pilot types require so many flying hours a year, so they do. The scientist types do not.
It really bummed me out for some reason to learn that the Space Shuttle Pilot didn't actually do any piloting :(

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Alereon posted:

It really bummed me out for some reason to learn that the Space Shuttle Pilot didn't actually do any piloting :(

Oh so they came from flying Airbus?

:rimshot:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Alereon posted:

Next thing you know they'll be saying the Space Shuttle Door Gunner doesn't ever actually use the Space Shuttle's door guns.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
A fair number of scientists learn to fly since they get to go everywhere by T-38.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
The Army's Airforce using the Navy's Army's Airforce's Navy to be the Army's Airforce's Navy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTxCtDpLyk0

e: (The ending picture reminds me of the old graphic/painting someone did for the KFS servers a billion years ago that is basically my avatar.)

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 15, 2016

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Went to an interview at Pratt and Whitney at their engine manufacturing plant. Saw some super cool engines. I couldn't take photos, but the whole plant was very old. They told me they were using the same buildings that predate WWII. The manufacturing floor had a brick surface, which I was told was used because dropping an engine on it would damage the floor less than a regular concrete one. Saw the F-100, F-119, F135, and V2500 engines. Not sure what was opsec, but the lab they showed me had F-135 parts all over it in various states of disassembly. Very cool stuff.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Couple of black market hellfires found on a US bound Serbian flight.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sniffer-dog-portland-bound-combat-missiles-serbia/?linkId=22255052

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
If someone was trying to smuggle weapons into Portland, they should have hidden them in a crate of fixed gear bicycles or wrapped them in skinny jeans, since that wouldn't have drawn any attention.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Alereon posted:

Actually, almost no astronaut who's title was "pilot" flew their spacecraft. That job was almost exclusively done by the Commander, or Command Pilot in Gemini.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Yeah but the Orbiter actually looks like a plane so the pilot should fly it :(

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So umm, who 'flew' the space shuttle back down from space?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The space shuttle computers were in charge of almost the entire process. There's one step, and for the life of me I can't remember which, that NASA made manual on the insistence of people who didn't want a computer flying the orbiter.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Safety Dance posted:

The space shuttle computers were in charge of almost the entire process. There's one step, and for the life of me I can't remember which, that NASA made manual on the insistence of people who didn't want a computer flying the orbiter.

Gear deploy. The doors couldn't be closed in orbit and if an errant computer command opened them, it would be a death sentence.

Usually the Commander flew the shuttle, though STS-2 did preform a manual reentry for flight-test purposes.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

The computer

Well except for STS-2 where they flew the entire goddamn re-entry by hand so they could push the envelope a bit to better dial in the autopilot.

The pilot does have one important job, as he's the guy that hits the gear down switch, which must be done manually. After Columbia they eventually built a 15 foot cable that would go from the cockpit to the middeck that let the computer lower the gear if they wanted to try to recover a damaged and crewless orbiter.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Sounds like some manual flying going on here, but I guess it could be a voice just constantly complimenting a computer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W4cfIyNvts&t=311s

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

Sounds like some manual flying going on here, but I guess it could be a voice just constantly complimenting a computer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W4cfIyNvts&t=311s
The commander usually takes the stick when they come out of the heading and alignment circle until touchdown, but that's like 2 minutes of flying

They had some custom Gulfstream that could be configured to fall out of the sky in a similar manner to the orbiters to let them practice

Step 1 was to deploy the thrust reversers in flight

Epiphyte fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 15, 2016

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Epiphyte posted:

The commander usually takes the stick when they come out of the heading and alignment circle until touchdown, but that's like 2 minutes of flying

They had some custom Gulfstream that could be configured to fall out of the sky in a similar manner to the orbiters to let them practice

Step 1 was to deploy the thrust reversers in flight

Gear out, thrust reversers deployed. 16 degree glide slope. They called "touchdown" at something like 30ft, 'cause that's how much taller an orbiter was than that gulfstream. So flying flat with reversers out at 20 feet, they could just pull all that stuff in and fly away to do another practice approach.

NASA was awesome.

edit: actually an 18-20 degree glideslope, and "touchdown" at 20 feet. Ridiculous.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 15, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It's a fairly normal thing for a variety of professions. Pilots aren't special.

It's a fairly normal thing for cases where a patient is a clear and *imminent* danger to himself or others. Like, if your patient is saying that he's going to kill his ex-wife and you can't talk him down and he leaves the office, then you have a duty to report in most states.

"Might kill himself at some point in the future" isn't the standard for reporting in any profession.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
What the hell?

Did they put the jetway back on the plane after a gear collapse to get the passangers off? Did the truck run into the plane?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ardeem posted:

Did they put the jetway back on the plane after a gear collapse to get the passangers off? Did the truck run into the plane?

No, because no one was aboard at the time. Yes.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Epiphyte posted:

4 minutes in this case, manual control comes in at around 2:00 and he flies the HAC and the approach. It's "only" 4 minutes, but considering the video starts at 78,000 feet and Mach 2...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Ola posted:

4 minutes in this case, manual control comes in at around 2:00 and he flies the HAC and the approach. It's "only" 4 minutes, but considering the video starts at 78,000 feet and Mach 2...

Four minutes from 80,000' and 1000mph to 0' (it's florida..) and 250mph... I am pretty sure a cinder block flies better.

There's a MIT course on youtube, about aircraft engineering that uses the space shuttle as it's test subject. The amount of computer control is remarkable. And "how on the edge" many of the systems are. IIRC, the CG needs to be in a 3' cube or else the shuttle won't be controllable on re-entry. The profile for which surfaces start working at which speeds and altitudes is something else too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

Oh so they came from flying Airbus?

:rimshot:

Oh, were the Air France 447 pilots trying to get into orbit?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nerobro posted:

Four minutes from 80,000' and 1000mph to 0' (it's florida..) and 250mph... I am pretty sure a cinder block flies better.

There's a MIT course on youtube, about aircraft engineering that uses the space shuttle as it's test subject. The amount of computer control is remarkable. And "how on the edge" many of the systems are. IIRC, the CG needs to be in a 3' cube or else the shuttle won't be controllable on re-entry. The profile for which surfaces start working at which speeds and altitudes is something else too.
Pretty sure my time hi-fidelity Space shuttle sim shows re-entry is really not that difficult :colbert:
https://youtu.be/7khTvpYeoVM

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

Pretty sure my time hi-fidelity Space shuttle sim shows re-entry is really not that difficult :colbert:

TIL that there is a space shuttle procedural sim more detailed than orbiter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abptKlRqXxM

Godzillion
Feb 29, 2016

slidebite posted:

hell yeah played the gently caress outta that on the atari

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I was once given the gift of "Virgin Interactive Space Shuttle Simulator"

I could not figure out how to play it - it was generally a simulation of many, many obscure toggle switches

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nebakenezzer posted:

I was once given the gift of "Virgin Interactive Space Shuttle Simulator"

I could not figure out how to play it - it was generally a simulation of many, many obscure toggle switches

Watched like 10 people in a row smash into the ground on a shuttle simulator NASA/USAF had at a fair for middle and high school science educators. I was one smug grade-schooler when I landed that beast first try.

Thanks, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat and Jane's simulators!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The shuttle landing sim at the McAuliffe-Shepard* Discovery Center has been broken every time I've gone. I did pretty well on the lunar lander, though.

*Why does she get top billing? Shepard was first, and he actually made it in to space.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Watched like 10 people in a row smash into the ground on a shuttle simulator NASA/USAF had at a fair for middle and high school science educators. I was one smug grade-schooler when I landed that beast first try.

Thanks, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat and Jane's simulators!

Had something like that at the local gaming/robotics convention when I was a teenager. They always had flight sims, and one of them was Microsoft Flight Simulator X running the first helicopter tutorial (where you start in the air and fly through gates around an island), hooked up to a seat with realistic helicopter controls. I ended up flying through all the gates and going farther than everyone else that preceded me, all while trying to explain to the guy running it that I really didn't have any clue what I was doing.

Which is true: I can't fly sim helicopters worth a drat. That same convention had a V-22 Osprey sim and I flew it perfectly professionally until I had to switch to helicopter mode for the landing, at which point I flipped over and crashed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Colonial Air Force posted:

The shuttle landing sim at the McAuliffe-Shepard* Discovery Center has been broken every time I've gone. I did pretty well on the lunar lander, though.

*Why does she get top billing? Shepard was first, and he actually made it in to space.

:vince:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

The shuttle landing sim at the McAuliffe-Shepard* Discovery Center has been broken every time I've gone.

There's one at MSI Chicago. It's not hard to land if you know it flys like a brick. At least, in the simulator.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alphabetical order prob- wait gently caress thats a Challenger disaster joke

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

chitoryu12 posted:

Which is true: I can't fly sim helicopters worth a drat. That same convention had a V-22 Osprey sim and I flew it perfectly professionally until I had to switch to helicopter mode for the landing, at which point I flipped over and crashed.

In other words, you flew it as well as a lot of Osprey pilots.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

chitoryu12 posted:

Did it have an unbalanced load of Marines in back?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is there any other kind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Is there any other kind?

:golfclap: