Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Does Japan just not do 1 room with 2 beds or something? Shopping around for hotels and pretty much every single one is a double bed room. Anyone got any good sites to book Japan holidays from the UK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
go here http://www.booking.com/

set filter to "twin bed". Or book airbnb :staredog:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
2 bed rooms are super common.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Thrasophius posted:

Does Japan just not do 1 room with 2 beds or something? Shopping around for hotels and pretty much every single one is a double bed room. Anyone got any good sites to book Japan holidays from the UK?

Use Airbnb.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
For some reason all the resources on the internet say to wait until you get to Japan to exchange currency because the rate will be better. From my experience that is utter bullshit as every single currency exchange I've seen has had a rate that is at least 10% worse than what our bank offered in Canada.

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016
Man, March 29th can't get here soon enough. Cannot wait for this trip.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

TWSS posted:

For some reason all the resources on the internet say to wait until you get to Japan to exchange currency because the rate will be better. From my experience that is utter bullshit as every single currency exchange I've seen has had a rate that is at least 10% worse than what our bank offered in Canada.

That's because those resources are for people from real countries like 'Merica

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

TWSS posted:

Cash currency exchange at the airports in Japan is very good. Cash currency exchange anywhere else in Japan is mostly not good.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Any recommendations for mobile apps (android) to help learning common phrases in Japanese, or to show people so that they know what I want to say?

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Vidaeus posted:

Any recommendations for mobile apps (android) to help learning common phrases in Japanese, or to show people so that they know what I want to say?

I used google translate to have a drunken conversation about Honda with two salarymen from Osaka.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah tbh google translate is p good, esp if you keep your sentences short and simple. They added a pronunciation guide under the Japanese text box.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Google translate is pretty good considering that it'll do an awful job if you throw anything that you might encounter at it. I put it on my Nexus 5 last year and used it for like 2 days just goofing off, but I didn't exactly strike up conversation with many people outside of restaurants and booking train tickets.

It has a really cool real time OCR thing where it'll automagically translate stuff on the fly.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Phone posted:

Google translate is pretty good considering that it'll do an awful job if you throw anything that you might encounter at it. I put it on my Nexus 5 last year and used it for like 2 days just goofing off, but I didn't exactly strike up conversation with many people outside of restaurants and booking train tickets.

It has a really cool real time OCR thing where it'll automagically translate stuff on the fly.

That doesn't work with Japanese I think.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That doesn't work with Japanese I think.

I just tried it, seems to work. Pretty cool

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It mostly works, but don't take it as gospel because it'll go off the rails into bad translation land really quick.

I used it on some promo thing at Coco ichiban that was talking about "try our hurricane swirl desert!" that had a bunch of katakana, and google translate was going off about "the temptation of the tropical hurricane kick".

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Another question. I've been looking around and trying to absorb as much info as possible but wanted to ask since so many people in this thread have actually been or live in Japan.

What would be a general itinerary for going in early December for 14 days? I was thinking flying into Tokyo, spending 3 nights in Tokyo, one night up in Nikko, then heading to Kyoto for 3-4 nights, Osaka for a couple nights, and heading to Hiroshima for a night before heading back to Osaka or Tokyo for the flight back. This leaves 3-5 days of unplanned days and I'd love to hear some ideas about stuff you guys thought was worth doing. We'll be getting the JR pass so getting around isn't a problem. If you guys think that it's worth spending more/less time in the cities I mentioned then definitely point that out as well.

Also would love to hear about any gems you guys know about for places to stay/eat.

Interests for the trip are basically general self-guided sightseeing, photography, food, and the like. Would like to get off the beaten path but not to the extent of camping. Not super interested in hiking Mt Fuji or going skiing/snowboarding since I live in Vancouver already.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Another question. I've been looking around and trying to absorb as much info as possible but wanted to ask since so many people in this thread have actually been or live in Japan.

What would be a general itinerary for going in early December for 14 days? I was thinking flying into Tokyo, spending 3 nights in Tokyo, one night up in Nikko, then heading to Kyoto for 3-4 nights, Osaka for a couple nights, and heading to Hiroshima for a night before heading back to Osaka or Tokyo for the flight back. This leaves 3-5 days of unplanned days and I'd love to hear some ideas about stuff you guys thought was worth doing. We'll be getting the JR pass so getting around isn't a problem. If you guys think that it's worth spending more/less time in the cities I mentioned then definitely point that out as well.

Also would love to hear about any gems you guys know about for places to stay/eat.

Interests for the trip are basically general self-guided sightseeing, photography, food, and the like. Would like to get off the beaten path but not to the extent of camping. Not super interested in hiking Mt Fuji or going skiing/snowboarding since I live in Vancouver already.

Can't do Fuji during winter, it's a summer thing.

I would recommend more time in Tokyo, cut Osaka, spend more time in Hiroshima.

5 Tokyo
5 Kyoto/Nara
2 Hiroshima
1 Nikko

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Himeji Castle is between Kyoto and Hiroshima, right? I'm gonna do 6 days in Kyoto with 1 or 2 days set aside for day trips to Himeji/Nara. Apparently they have an unlimited 2 day pass for that section of rail that can get you to Himeji and Nara.

I think there are other day trip destinations from Kyoto, maybe combine a stop at Himeji with an evening in Osaka?

I'm still in the planning stages of my own trip, but those are ideas I've had that you could apply to your own trip.

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 15, 2016

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Man, the people here are so loving nice they make Canadians look like a bunch of self-absorbed cunts. Random locals keep coming up to me and my girlfriend and giving us free poo poo. Thus far we've been given a set of ponchos, oodles of sweets and a few people even gave up their tables in busy restaurants so we could eat together.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

TWSS posted:

Man, the people here are so loving nice they make Canadians look like a bunch of self-absorbed cunts. Random locals keep coming up to me and my girlfriend and giving us free poo poo. Thus far we've been given a set of ponchos, oodles of sweets and a few people even gave up their tables in busy restaurants so we could eat together.

No you fool, those people are GAIJIN HUNTERS and they are extremely rude and trying to oppress you. Just listen to Ryan Boundless, he is extremely knowledgeable about these tricks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nobody is nice or kind here in Vancouver.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Nobody is nice or kind here in Vancouver.

Vancouver is America.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Americans are nicer and kinder than people in Japan.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
We can go through American customs and immigrations in Vancouver when transiting through Vancouver with a final destination in the US, so technically Vancouver sorta is America.

Just one step closer to righting the wrongs of 1781.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 15, 2016

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Possibly a dumb question: Thinking of a VPN for the months I'm gonna spend in Tokyo. Are there any aspects I should keep in mind that make this different from choosing a VPN in the USA? Do you guys have a preferred service?

Edit: looking around a bit and I found this thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746308&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

So I guess I'll look into it, hope this post helps someone out. Thanks guys.

SpiderLink fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 15, 2016

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Specifically in the case of Netflix, it's also in Japan now. So you don't need a VPN anymore. I don't know how the catalogs compare but at the very least I've been watching Better Call Saul, House of Cards, Marco Polo, Spartacus, Daredevil, and Narcos using Netflix Japan. Also that weird super Florida one. There doesn't seem to be any delay in them putting up the content either, I'm halfway through HoC S4 now.

If you want a VPN for other reasons though. I used StrongVPN for a few years and experienced no issues/downtime/etc.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 15, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Can you live without US Netflix for the few months you're living in a new country, or do you just GOTTA keep up with your shows?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I never used Netflix before I came to Japan and now I watch it all the time. Nothing kills a 40 minute train ride like the adventures of Frank Underwood.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you're going to Japan for a few months and your biggest concern is what VPN you need so you can continue watching Netflix, you may as well just not go to Japan.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
You need netflix so you can scout the hub for people to chill with.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
I appreciate your input and advice, but it's not for Netflix. I'll check out Strong VPN.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

SpiderLink posted:

I appreciate your input and advice, but it's not for Netflix. I'll check out Strong VPN.

That makes it sound way worse.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I would research whatever you're connecting to and see how much they fight against it these days. Netflix and Hulu are becoming pretty active in blocking lots of location services so I'm going to set up a personal VPN next time I'm back in the US.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tequila Sunrise posted:

That makes it sound way worse.

lol

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Steam? You can live without that too, I promise.

Although the videos on pbskids.org are blocked here :japan:

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
3 days into my 4 week work trip at an engineering office and I already can't stand the 12 hour work days.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
That's likely because you're confusing working with the appearance of actually working, a common mistake. Japan has the worst GDP generated:hours worked ratio of the G7 nations for a reason.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Sheep posted:

That's likely because you're confusing working with the appearance of actually working, a common mistake. Japan has the worst GDP generated:hours worked ratio of the G7 nations for a reason.

Even more surprising when I see employees clock out, only to return to their desks and continue working off the clock. Really, a lot of the people I'm working with over here are very hard workers, but boy do they sweat the small stuff sometimes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They're just playing Puzzles and Dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Taking a trip to Japan in July, thinking about heading down to Hiroshima. Anything particularly noteworthy there other than Itsukushima and the Peace Dome?