Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Frogmanv2 posted:

Except we have signed and ratified laws stating that we will offer refuge to people in fear of torture and murder in their homeland.

poo poo, we helped draft them.

quote:

On 30 October 2012, the Labor party resolved to excise the entire Australian mainland from the migration zone, in order to remove any incentive for asylum seekers traveling from Indonesia to try to reach the mainland instead of the previously excised territories which are closer to Indonesia.[4] The legislation to excise the mainland itself from the migration zone was passed by Parliament on 16 May 2013

As Ratbag Craig said, the Refugee Convention has become a farce and we should just back out of it. When Indonesia agrees to ratify it we can reconsider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
The only reason LNP and the Greens want to pass legislation that will hinder the power of preference deals is because they've made a preference deal.

Makes sense.

#Vansplaining

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

LibertyCat posted:

oh, bullshit. They're free to return to their home country any time they want.

It's well known that fire is hot, that's why you don't put your hand in it.

Hhm?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

LibertyCat posted:

As Ratbag Craig said, the Refugee Convention has become a farce and we should just back out of it. When Indonesia agrees to ratify it we can reconsider.

"we can step out of it, until there's a country in the way that would mean we wouldn't need to act on it, then we can step back in when there's no requirement for us to act"

libertarian logic

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

LibertyCat posted:

Or we could just back out of our unethical and disgusting attempts to avoid doing the right thing, such as the legislation you posted :shrug:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

LibertyCat posted:

If you're going to jump on a boat, throw away your documentation, and come to Australia, you should know what to expect.

What documentation would you expect a refugee to have with them? Like, what would satisfy you that someone didn't "throw away" their documentation?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

that just means you were too cowardly to tweet heinous poo poo like "maybe the ALP aren't literally perfect"

*adds to ignore list*

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We're going to build a wall and make Indonesia pay for it. And people are going to come to Australia, but they are going to come here legally.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 15, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Jumpingmanjim posted:

We're going to build a wall and make Indonesia pay for it.

Do we still confiscate and destroy boats? We could make it out of the flotsam they already paid for.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Do we still confiscate and destroy boats? We could make it out of the flotsam they already paid for.

We also buy boats and put asylum seekers on them from our ships and then push them back to Indonesia.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

AlphaDog posted:

What documentation would you expect a refugee to have with them? Like, what would satisfy you that someone didn't "throw away" their documentation?

If everyone was bar-coded and chipped none of this would be an issue

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Australian Loser Party

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
being a lolbertarian is so 2012. that poo poo is older than ron paul

Trumpism is the new hotness

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Jumpingmanjim posted:

We're going to build a wall and make Indonesia pay for it.

Eddie McGuire is already practicing this in the mirror, for when he runs for Prime Minister

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Konomex posted:

I specifically voted for Stephen Smith

did you see him Crean himself just now

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Negligent posted:

did you see him Crean himself just now

This has to become a thing.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Did anyone else catch this on 7.30 last night:

quote:

LEIGH SALES: Let's get you to flesh out a bit more detail on some things you touched on today. One thing is that you said Labor is committed to trying to take the economy to full employment. What percentage unemployment do you consider to be full employment?

BILL SHORTEN: [waffle]

LEIGH SALES: And so what would be your target for the unemployment rate?

BILL SHORTEN: Five per cent.

:eng99:

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

So "full employment" is literally labour's always lower interest rates line in that it has no substance and only exists to be a sound bite.

Don't know why I was hoping for more.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Birdstrike posted:

Did anyone else catch this on 7.30 last night:

:eng99:

No, uneployment!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Full employment does not mean 0% unemployment guys

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
5% is considered "full" employment under certain situations.

It's an economic term, not a literal one.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Typical ALP. Caving at 5%. The greens will make it 100% via envirogulags where we mine tree amber.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

We had an unemployment rate of 4% only a few years ago, and we had actual full employment for a few decades. To come out and make a big policy announcement about full employment and set your target at 5% is weak as piss. They should be committed to providing anyone with the capacity and desire to work with a job.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
He really wanted to say full communism but he's been scared off by management in his time with the unions

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BBJoey posted:

No, uneployment!

:allears:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

open24hours posted:

We had an unemployment rate of 4% only a few years ago, and we had actual full employment for a few decades.
We stopped having 4% unemployment because of an economic crisis from which we are still recovering, and if a politician promised to recreate the post-WW2 boom they'd be deservedly mocked for promising more than they could deliver.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The aim low strategy is the perfect complement to the small target.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

You guys think EvilElmo salutes his Bill Shorten portrait every morning before logging in?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I can't believe that the greens voted to murder gays and frak every farm. I am so disgusted. I know what I must do now, vote 1 shorten

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
If ALP-ites are so outraged at the Greens stopping debate on a gay marriage bill, why aren't they just as outraged that their own party didn't pass such laws when they had the chance a few years ago?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's a dog's breakfast, a complete dog's breakfast and, you know, tossing another can of Pal into the dog's breakfast does not make it a good breakfast.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Can someone explain precisely what's going on with the greens and the voting reform thing in the senate? At the moment there are a bunch of terrible stories going around about it which don't really explain the machinations behind it

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

ewe2 posted:

It's a dog's breakfast, a complete dog's breakfast and, you know, tossing another can of Pal into the dog's breakfast does not make it a good breakfast.

dog enjoys it though.

(don't feed your dog pal, it is shithouse)

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Amethyst posted:

Can someone explain precisely what's going on with the greens and the voting reform thing in the senate? At the moment there are a bunch of terrible stories going around about it which don't really explain the machinations behind it

Just going to copy some stuff from yesterday first:

Gitro posted:

Fun times in the upper house. Microparties and Labor trying to wedge the greens and introduce new bills for debate to stymie the senate reforms, then drumming up some righteous indignation because the greens voted against debating their own bills.

quote:

What the hell just happened in the red chamber?

* Crossbenchers have been cooking up a plan with Labor to try and embarrass The Greens and the Government

* The government has been threatening to call a double dissolution election if it can’t get the ABCC bill through the Upper House BUT the Coalition wants to get Senate voting reforms through first to make it more difficult for crossbenchers to be re-elected

* Labor and some crossbenchers are angry because the Greens are supporting the Senate voting changes, ensuring the bills will pass and clearing the path for the government to use ABCC as a trigger

* Crossbenchers interrupted debate when the Senate started today, pushing for a series of bills to be listed for debate including the ABCC legislation, gay-marriage legislation.

* The government and The Greens voted together against Labor and most crossbenchers

* The Government therefore voted against "bringing on" for debate on the ABCC bill that it wants to have up its sleeve for a double dissolution trigger

* The Greens therefore voted against "bringing on" debate on its own bill to legalise same-sex marriage

* Labor and the crossbenchers argue, in particular, that the government's decision to stymie debate on the ABCC bill weakens its case for a double dissolution election

Senate voting reform includes optional preferential voting, so you'd only have to fill out 6 boxes to vote below the line (after which your vote would just exhaust and it would be considered that you didn't want it going to anyone else). Arguments for are that it makes BTL voting easier and avoids messy/lovely preference flows (I imagine why the greens are supporting it). Also been argued that it will hinder minor party/independents representation (I imagine also why LNP are supporting it). Senators like Ricky Muir and Glenn Lazarus are obviously against it for that reason. ALP are siding with the crossbenchers to fight the LNP and Greens on it. Passing the bill also wipes away a double dissolution trigger.

Greens and LNP want to pass it and get it out of the way. ALP and independents/microparties brought forward a motion to debate the green's SSM proposal to stall voting/passing it. So the greens voted against debating their own proposal.

edit: from SMH, a summary of the changes for the reform:

quote:

Optional preferential voting "above the line" on the Senate ballot paper which will allow up to six boxes to be numbered, rather than just one
A change that will mean a ballot is still valid where the voter has numbered one or fewer than six boxes above the line
An increase in the number of allowable mistakes from three to five when a person casts their vote below the line, as long as 90 per cent of the ballot is correctly filled in
The abolition of group and individual voting tickets
Restrictions on the unique registered officers for a particular party
Logos on ballot papers to reduce confusion about parties with similar names

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 16, 2016

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Guys whats a good super fund to go into? I had all my stupid lovely funds bundled by my bank (St. George, BT super) and now they've done the leg work I want to shift it into an actual good fund because Im 30 now and realise I should be ensuring I have money by the time I am allowed to retire (presumably 90 years old)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

The Narrator posted:

Just going to copy some stuff from yesterday first:

Senate voting reform includes optional preferential voting, so you'd only have to fill out 6 boxes to vote below the line (after which your vote would just exhaust and it would be considered that you didn't want it going to anyone else). Arguments for are that it makes BTL voting easier and avoids messy/lovely preference flows (I imagine why the greens are supporting it). Also been argued that it will hinder minor party/independents representation (I imagine also why LNP are supporting it). Senators like Ricky Muir and Glenn Lazarus are obviously against it for that reason. ALP are siding with the crossbenchers to fight the LNP and Greens on it. Passing the bill also wipes away a double dissolution trigger.

Greens and LNP want to pass it and get it out of the way. ALP and independents/microparties brought forward a motion to debate the green's SSM proposal to stall voting/passing it. So the greens voted against debating their own proposal.

Thanks. It looks like the media are lazily playing along with labor and the cross benchers, since almost all of the headlines I've seen on this are along the lines of "GREENS VOTE AGAINST GAY MARRIAGE" without any explanation of the wider context.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

open24hours posted:

We had an unemployment rate of 4% only a few years ago, and we had actual full employment for a few decades. To come out and make a big policy announcement about full employment and set your target at 5% is weak as piss. They should be committed to providing anyone with the capacity and desire to work with a job.

He could literally just say the bolded part, exactly as written, when asked what he means by full employment and avoid falling into a trap of having to nominate a percentage. Having to say 5% or 4% is a losing preposition either way because very few people really understand what full employment means and to most voters, saying 5% suggests that you're not working for "full" employment at all or it requires you to give a lengthy explanation about different economic principals which cannot be reduced to a sound byte

Has Labor announced what they're going to do to reach 5% unemployment?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Amethyst posted:

Thanks. It looks like the media are lazily playing along with labor and the cross benchers, since almost all of the headlines I've seen on this are along the lines of "GREENS VOTE AGAINST GAY MARRIAGE" without any explanation of the wider context.

Yeah, that's the narrative that people have been picking up, and the headline successfully fooled me yesterday. Makes for a much more dramatic angle.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Anidav posted:

You guys think EvilElmo salutes his Bill Shorten portrait every morning before logging in?

You log in very day?

Laserface posted:

Guys whats a good super fund to go into? I had all my stupid lovely funds bundled by my bank (St. George, BT super) and now they've done the leg work I want to shift it into an actual good fund because Im 30 now and realise I should be ensuring I have money by the time I am allowed to retire (presumably 90 years old)

Australian super is apparently pretty good and most industry super funds are also pretty good. What industry do you work in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

EvilElmo posted:

Australian super is apparently pretty good and most industry super funds are also pretty good. What industry do you work in?

I work in IT for a club. looking at the industry super page I dont really see a IT related one and Australian Super seems to be the biggest fund.

• Locked thread