Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninjew
Aug 3, 2004

Yooo getting back into the game. Can someone toss me an invite to the channel? I'm 'ceezy' = on KGS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
Added you

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

The resign

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Humanity starts the fight back!

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Well that was unexpected! I really want to see some analysis so we can see where it all went wrong. Or right if you're Lee Sedol.

What would the sentiment on team DeepMind be? Personally I think (or hope) that'd I'd be excited. This sort of thing could be exactly what's needed to put an upper bound on its strength and maybe it shows where there's still margin for improvement. But I dunno, maybe having it play more games against itself would be even more valuable. It can play a lot more games that way at least.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
The beginning of the comeback was when Alphago responded wrongly to the L11 wedge that Lee Sedol played in the top middle.

Demis Hassabis on Twitter posted:

Lee Sedol is playing brilliantly! #AlphaGo thought it was doing well, but got confused on move 87. We are in trouble now...

Mistake was on move 79, but #AlphaGo only came to that realisation on around move 87

Lee Sedol wins game 4!!! Congratulations! He was too good for us today and pressured #AlphaGo into a mistake that it couldn’t recover from

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
for those with lots of games on ogs, this is kinda neat

http://vatcss.info/games/gotstats/

i win way more often as white for whatever reason. maybe cause i get white when playing weaker opponents? i suppose that makes sense.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

totino boy posted:

for those with lots of games on ogs, this is kinda neat

http://vatcss.info/games/gotstats/

i win way more often as white for whatever reason. maybe cause i get white when playing weaker opponents? i suppose that makes sense.

Ditto. I mean I'm a small sample size candidate, but going 10-2 as white and 14-22 as black is a pretty stark difference.

It also said my most triumphant victory was against Shadonra (4d) in an intense game. Meanwhile in reality Shadonra was on pace to beat me by like 100+ until he lost due to time out (I think he timed out of all the 2015 goontourney games simultaneously).

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pander posted:

Ditto. I mean I'm a small sample size candidate, but going 10-2 as white and 14-22 as black is a pretty stark difference.

It also said my most triumphant victory was against Shadonra (4d) in an intense game. Meanwhile in reality Shadonra was on pace to beat me by like 100+ until he lost due to time out (I think he timed out of all the 2015 goontourney games simultaneously).

I think the silliest thing that I've happen is winning by a margin greater than 81 in a 9x9 game (Japanese rules of course).

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Game 5: White has 1 group; black has 4. No wonder B is going to lose

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hi I'm Dancer I'm a total loser with no Go experience, and I made a KGS account with the same name. Could someone grant me access to ITGO?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Can I get an invite to ITGO? pmrowla on KGS

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Well, while Lee Sedol lost last night it was by a very thin margin, capping off a really entertaining series. I have been following all the matches, even falling asleep watching them late into the night. I think Game 4 was won due to the Horizon Effect and that humans only barely have the ability to put a move outside of the purview of AI. Since AlphaGo's AI will be "unfrozen" and it will be allowed to learn from the 5 matches against Lee Sedol, I highly doubt any human will be able to take advantage of this effect ever again. I would still like to see a match with Ke Jie, if only to shut his arrogance down.

Some people are obviously despondent about this historic loss for humans and while I'd rather avoid the sticky philosophical issues in this thread, I will say that this despondency is just silly. Pretty much every online Go server has seen a massive surge in registrations. News outlets like Time, ABC, the NY Times etc etc are writing at length about Go. When's the last time Time magazine has written about Go?

We seem to project onto computers a rigidity of thought, but AlphaGo is teaching us to cast away this prejudice. In our losses we let that prejudice reflect back on us, but even in this early stages of computer dominance, we've already seen the humans adapt because of AlphaGo's dominating play. Fan Hui has said since he played AlphaGo that he is now a much better player. And indeed, due to tournament wins he's risen about 300 spots in the world rankings. And I think we've watched Lee Sedol change and adapt his tactics. Would we have ever seen a move like White 78 in Game 4 if Lee Sedol wasn't under so much pressure to find a way to beat AlphaGo?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Welp, just won a game against a sandbagger by 0.5 points because he forgot to take a dead group of mine off the board. I did as well, but he was the first to hit done and I didn't bother to look it over. Serves him right. There's really no way someone who has once attained the rank of 2k is suddenly now a 17k player.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Overwined posted:

Welp, just won a game against a sandbagger by 0.5 points because he forgot to take a dead group of mine off the board. I did as well, but he was the first to hit done and I didn't bother to look it over. Serves him right. There's really no way someone who has once attained the rank of 2k is suddenly now a 17k player.

There was this guy on KGS who reached around 2k iirc but then suffered an accident and became a 15k or something like that.

He explained this on his KGS profile.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Overwined posted:

Well, while Lee Sedol lost last night it was by a very thin margin, capping off a really entertaining series. I have been following all the matches, even falling asleep watching them late into the night. I think Game 4 was won due to the Horizon Effect and that humans only barely have the ability to put a move outside of the purview of AI. Since AlphaGo's AI will be "unfrozen" and it will be allowed to learn from the 5 matches against Lee Sedol, I highly doubt any human will be able to take advantage of this effect ever again. I would still like to see a match with Ke Jie, if only to shut his arrogance down.

Some people are obviously despondent about this historic loss for humans and while I'd rather avoid the sticky philosophical issues in this thread, I will say that this despondency is just silly. Pretty much every online Go server has seen a massive surge in registrations. News outlets like Time, ABC, the NY Times etc etc are writing at length about Go. When's the last time Time magazine has written about Go?

We seem to project onto computers a rigidity of thought, but AlphaGo is teaching us to cast away this prejudice. In our losses we let that prejudice reflect back on us, but even in this early stages of computer dominance, we've already seen the humans adapt because of AlphaGo's dominating play. Fan Hui has said since he played AlphaGo that he is now a much better player. And indeed, due to tournament wins he's risen about 300 spots in the world rankings. And I think we've watched Lee Sedol change and adapt his tactics. Would we have ever seen a move like White 78 in Game 4 if Lee Sedol wasn't under so much pressure to find a way to beat AlphaGo?

same. agreed.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
im excited to get back to playing go after watching it for 4 hours a day over the past week

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

totino boy posted:

im excited to get back to playing go after watching it for 4 hours a day over the past week

I've played 45 games since last Thursday :shepface:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Overwined posted:

I would still like to see a match with Ke Jie, if only to shut his arrogance down.
He would probably be smug a gently caress even if he only took one game because it would be against a stronger version.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

If someone could invite me to ITGO (huzenhagen) that'd be great. Can't wait to get brutally owned as i work out how to play this game

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Some factoids:
  • The "casual games" in which AlphaGo went 3–2 against Fan Hui were 0+3x30s blitz.
  • In game four, before Lee Sedol played 78, AlphaGo had rated that move uninteresting, 1 in 10000 odds of being played.
EDIT: Welcome newbies, please enjoy my Go quickstart guide.

Xom fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 15, 2016

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Is Lee Sedol the last person who will ever win a game against AlphaGo?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Michael Redmond quoted that 1 in 10000 stat during last night's commentary. One of the AlphaGo developers tweeted that by move 89 (or something in there) black had realized that its response to White 78 was a mistake. I was curious about how AlphaGo expressed this, but we'll probably never know.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Overwined posted:

Michael Redmond quoted that 1 in 10000 stat during last night's commentary. One of the AlphaGo developers tweeted that by move 89 (or something in there) black had realized that its response to White 78 was a mistake. I was curious about how AlphaGo expressed this, but we'll probably never know.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
such a good movie

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So why was AlphaGo "frozen" for the duration of the series? A human opponent could potentially learn and adapt to a particular opponent's strategy...why handicap AlphaGo from being able to do that?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Alphago requires thousands of games to learn. Any games played against Lee would barely change anything.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

jivjov posted:

So why was AlphaGo "frozen" for the duration of the series? A human opponent could potentially learn and adapt to a particular opponent's strategy...why handicap AlphaGo from being able to do that?

The software wasn't changing is what I assume they meant--they weren't tweaking any code but I assume it was still collecting the data from its games however insignificant it would be in the grand scheme of things

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So apparantly, Ke Jie has challenged AlphaGo: http://weibo.com/u/2865101843?refer_flag=1001030101_&is_all=1#_rnd1458063222095

I really hope the AlphaGo team will accept this, watching these matches has been very interesting.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rated PG-34 posted:

Alphago requires thousands of games to learn. Any games played against Lee would barely change anything.

gwrtheyrn posted:

The software wasn't changing is what I assume they meant--they weren't tweaking any code but I assume it was still collecting the data from its games however insignificant it would be in the grand scheme of things

So even "assimilating" or adapting to Lee's particular playstyle wouldn't help much or change much due to the sheer number of other Go information AlphaGo was drawing on?

elementc
Dec 2, 2015
All this alphago jazz got me to log into KGS again after not being on in quite a while. I've lost a fair bit of stongness but I am still more than capable to teach some beginners here and there if anyone needs some help.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

jivjov posted:

So even "assimilating" or adapting to Lee's particular playstyle wouldn't help much or change much due to the sheer number of other Go information AlphaGo was drawing on?

That's basically what they said at one of the press conferences. It needs upwards of tens of thousands to make significant change. They said even feeding it all of Lee Sedol's game records wouldn't do an appreciable amount.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

elementc posted:

All this alphago jazz got me to log into KGS again after not being on in quite a while. I've lost a fair bit of stongness but I am still more than capable to teach some beginners here and there if anyone needs some help.

I was just about to ask if anyone would be up for some 9x9s just to help me keep grasping the fundamentals...you available now?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Overwined posted:

They mentioned that Alphago keeps a running estimate of its chance of winning the game. I think the developers tweeted that Alphago's estimated odds of winning barely budged on moves 79-88, but Alphago's estimated odds of winning crashed on move 89. So Alphago might not have "realized" exactly where the mistake was, but it didn't think it was losing until move 89.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

mikeycp posted:

That's basically what they said at one of the press conferences. It needs upwards of tens of thousands to make significant change. They said even feeding it all of Lee Sedol's game records wouldn't do an appreciable amount.

Moreover it already has all of Lee Sedol's games up to the point he played AlphaGo. The real "learning" it will do will be at the hands of the developers as they analyze mistakes and fix the algorithms.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Overwined posted:

Moreover it already has all of Lee Sedol's games up to the point he played AlphaGo. The real "learning" it will do will be at the hands of the developers as they analyze mistakes and fix the algorithms.

It also has all of your matches, Ke Jie. AlphaGo is coming for you!! :getin:

I wonder if AlphaGo is "told" who it is playing so that it can emphasize analyses made on games played by that player as a human might.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

golden bubble posted:

They mentioned that Alphago keeps a running estimate of its chance of winning the game. I think the developers tweeted that Alphago's estimated odds of winning barely budged on moves 79-88, but Alphago's estimated odds of winning crashed on move 89. So Alphago might not have "realized" exactly where the mistake was, but it didn't think it was losing until move 89.

I think that's really cool.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I thought I had done this at some point...but I guess not; can I get added to the ITGO list? Username is jivjov, same as here.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Overwined posted:

As far as I know, it has 2 neural nets and a MCTS thing. Maybe something else as well but I forgot. I suppose they might be able to optimize some poo poo in the connections between everything, or maybe improve the MCTS a bit, but I think I read that they primarily still have a ways to go in improving the neural nets. They haven't reached the limit there.

And that will just be done by having it play itself. So it doesn't really have any algorithms to fix. Not in the classical way.

Overwined posted:

It also has all of your matches, Ke Jie. AlphaGo is coming for you!! :getin:

I wonder if AlphaGo is "told" who it is playing so that it can emphasize analyses made on games played by that player as a human might.

Doubt it.

What I'm wondering though, is this: AlphaGo doesn't give a poo poo about maximizing score, only about winning. That's why it plays slack but safe moves when it's sure it'll win, and why it goes crazy when it thinks it's behind. I wonder if they could change at least the last one: if it doesn't see a way out, it could go for keeping the difference as close as possible, so when the opponent makes a mistake it could as least profit from it. This wouldn't really work against an computer opponent but it might against a human. Forcing a human to not make a single mistake in the endgame would make it stronger, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm about to put in an order with GoGameGuru and wanted to run it by the thread first in case I'm missing a way to get a slightly better deal...I have the Mini Me Go Set and the Cheap Go Board in my cart right now...This looks like the cheapest way to get a decent set of stones and bowls, plus access to 9x9, 13x13, and 19x19 board space, without resorting to a flimsy paper/plastic board.

I'm just tired of using my thrift store $2.99 set that has stones that are smaller than dimes.