Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Stairmaster posted:

Of course this would also mean that tower of gray is a faster than light beetle.

Well, Joutarou couldn't stop time then so it wasn't faster than light yet :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
"His presence in the manga is possibly inspired by Yes (musical band)."

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Stairmaster posted:

The idea that star platinum is faster than light comes from the fact that it does have the ability to stop time which some fans assume is where its super speed comes from and the fact it could keep up with silver chariot which people think is faster than light because it caught hanged man while traveling between two reflective surfaces.

Of course this would also mean that tower of gray is a faster than light beetle.

The only reason Silver Chariot caught Hanged Man was literally because he could exactly know where it was going to be. He had a huge predictive advantage in knowing where Hanged Man was moving.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, the lightspeed thing is stated a handful of times. The important thing is that it sounds really cool which is why Araki said it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You have to think of statements like that as sales pitches and not canonical power statements, because that's what they are

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Baal posted:

You have to think of statements like that as sales pitches and not canonical power statements, because that's what they are

Yeah, at this point that's where I'm leaving it with a lot of abilities.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Baal posted:

Paging Dragonball fandom.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Whis is the only guy you can say for sure moves faster than light and that's just when he's flying across the universe.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What about Instant Transmission does it even count as movement???

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's like one of my favorite Futurama skits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83SQ9Runp2Y

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Apes-Ma posted:

"His presence in the manga is possibly inspired by Yes (musical band)."

gently caress yes...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9JXG2FqEzs

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

The Flintstones one is better.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How is there not a billion Cromartie DIU crossovers?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
To dip back into dumb bullshit Stand power levels, doesn't Jotaro mention that Crazy Diamond is faster than Star Platnium and that's why Jotaro had to stop time to avoid getting socked in the face when he first met Josuke or did I totally make that up?

This is the only thing I've ever seen of Yu Yu Hakusho and I kinda really wanna watch it.....

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Moltrey posted:

To dip back into dumb bullshit Stand power levels, doesn't Jotaro mention that Crazy Diamond is faster than Star Platnium and that's why Jotaro had to stop time to avoid getting socked in the face when he first met Josuke or did I totally make that up?

This is the only thing I've ever seen of Yu Yu Hakusho and I kinda really wanna watch it.....

I'm pretty sure Star Platinum's powers, other than time stop, were just its strength and precision. It's really fast, but there are faster stands like Silver Chariot. And yeah, I'm pretty sure he said CD is faster.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Moltrey posted:

wow

yes, watch yuyu hakusho

kuwabara is my bro

apparently yuyu hakusho can be watched here now: http://www.funimation.com/shows/yu-yu-hakusho/videos/episodes

Condiv fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 15, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Moltrey posted:

No it was because crazy diamond broke through Star Platinum's guard.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
To go back to random song guesses for the ending:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RaspberryCommie posted:

I'm pretty sure Star Platinum's powers, other than time stop, were just its strength and precision. It's really fast, but there are faster stands like Silver Chariot. And yeah, I'm pretty sure he said CD is faster.

I thought Star Platinum was shown to be faster than Silver Chariot in the Anubis fight.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Staah purachinum's quickness may be attributed to its timestop ability leaking through until he discovered it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
how does one leak the ability to stop time

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sometimes,

the time will flow out

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
like his bowel movement, jotaro's time stop leaks out of him let wet and soggy feces

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Baal posted:

how does one leak the ability to stop time

stopping time for fractions of a seconds, which makes it look even faster while not being as conspicuous as "wow why can't I climb this staircase"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Actually he was only able to stop time once he put on his time cap

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Moltrey posted:

This part of the Manga from when I read it (literally like two weeks ago) is a little weird. Crazy Diamond doesn't like outpunch Star Platinum or even out move him, but he does succeed in breaking his guard, so he could have hit him, but Jotaro avoided it with Time Stop. The thing is, after that Jotaro doesn't say 'I'd lose without Time Stop', he just thinks 'If I didn't have Time Stop this could be difficult'; he still seems to think he could win without Time Stop, he would just have some difficulty and there's a good chance Crazy Diamond could do some real damage. The thing is he says that while his hat is literally getting turned to mush on his head by Crazy Diamond's Restoration Ability.

So the way I read it it was like, Crazy Diamond is close to Star Platinum but maybe not straight up equal to him, but close enough that Josuke could give him a pretty good match if Jotaro didn't Time Stop.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Sometimes when you're young and can't control your time stops, it just kinda leaks out in the night, it's fine, whatever

Stairmaster posted:

No it was because crazy diamond broke through Star Platinum's guard.
Just went to check and yep you're totally right, whoops.

Condiv posted:

wow

yes, watch yuyu hakusho

kuwabara is my bro

apparently yuyu hakusho can be watched here now: http://www.funimation.com/shows/yu-yu-hakusho/videos/episodes
If I wasn't already watching original Dragonball and Hunter x Hunter right now, I would jump right on this

one day maybe

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

setafd posted:

stopping time for fractions of a seconds, which makes it look even faster while not being as conspicuous as "wow why can't I climb this staircase"

this always sounds retarded and even more conspicuous than the example you gave

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Star Platinum started out quick, then it got better and better at being quick, until it eventually became quicker than time.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

star platinum was fast and eventually turned out to be the same as the world because araki thought that sounded cool

the end

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Baal posted:

this always sounds retarded and even more conspicuous than the example you gave

SP is already so fast it looks like it has like eight arms when he's punching people, don't know why this is what puts you over

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

setafd posted:

SP is already so fast it looks like it has like eight arms when he's punching people, don't know why this is what puts you over

Because that's his power is to be fast and strong. If Araki actually wanted to tie their powers in with the other he would've loving done it. I have no objection to the idea if it's what actually was there, but it's not.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean it would still be stupid if he decided to do that because it changes Jotaro's powers entirely at that point, which is inconsistent with the fact Dio's stand is a mirror of his, but whatever at least at that point it isn't some garbage fan theory attempting to ruin Star Platinum and it's just Araki.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ruined!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

Whis is the only guy you can say for sure moves faster than light and that's just when he's flying across the universe.

Every blast hits the moon at near lightspeed when it happens, kamehamehas go into deep space in the same amount of time, and in the movies hit the sun in seconds, and they block/dodge that poo poo all the time ;) Also, Beerus goes faster than light after blowing up a couple of planets and Gotenks is near that when he circles the planet.

Dragon Ball is kind of consistent with things since they just fight each other and the only people that really follow their fights outside of tournament stuff where they're purposely not going all out is Satan. JoJos is waaaay all over the place with Stands, though.

Manga artists don't care that much about "feats."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Condiv posted:

wow

yes, watch yuyu hakusho

kuwabara is my bro

Well, time to rewatch this and see if I still like it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Darko posted:

Every blast hits the moon at near lightspeed when it happens, kamehamehas go into deep space in the same amount of time, and in the movies hit the sun in seconds, and they block/dodge that poo poo all the time ;) Also, Beerus goes faster than light after blowing up a couple of planets and Gotenks is near that when he circles the planet.

Dragon Ball is kind of consistent with things since they just fight each other and the only people that really follow their fights outside of tournament stuff where they're purposely not going all out is Satan. JoJos is waaaay all over the place with Stands, though.

Manga artists don't care that much about "feats."

Only in the anime :colbert:. In the manga time is vague enough you can assume substellar speeds. Also Dragonball is hella inconsistent about whether normal people can keep up with the fights or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

Only in the anime :colbert:. In the manga time is vague enough you can assume substellar speeds. Also Dragonball is hella inconsistent about whether normal people can keep up with the fights or not.

Stuff had to move at those speeds because they happened mid fight, for instance, giant rear end apes about to smash people and taking out the moon before they happened, or Gotenks clearly pulling a Superman 1 on panel. :colbert: Typically, the only time people see stuff is during tournaments since no regular people are around, and they either just see clashes and aftermaths, or everyone is playing up for the crowd. Satan is the only outlier and he's great.

Silver Chariot has to be hella fast as well. Even if he predicted where the path was going, he had to time stabbing it, which is ridiculous. JoJos revels in its inconsistency, which is one reason I like it. The only consistency is in a Stand fight in itself.