Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

30% reliability should mean there is a 70% chance to crash and burn, right? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jaguars! posted:

Luckily one dirty trick from the old games remains!

There's a better way to do that trick, though I only half-remember it from playing TTYD as a kid; You place either a track or Depot on either side (can't remember which) so the train goes back and forth constantly. Busses and trucks cross track, train goes smashy-smashy right through them to make a big dent in your opposition's road fleet :unsmigghh:.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Doesn't work in Locomotion, when road vehicles get stuck on the rail tracks for whatever reason, the trains pass straight through them. drat Chris Sawyer, takin all our fun :argh:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Road vehicles and trains go to great lengths to avoid each other in this game - trucks/buses that you've ordered to stop or breakdown will coast just long enough to clear any train tracks nearby (or come to a dead stop depending on the distance they have), they will also avoid entering the same tile as any tracks unless the one on the other side is clear.

I think the only things that can collide in this game are the trains. There aren't even any random disasters anymore like in the previous game.

Not sure if that's a result of limitations arising from the re-purposed RCT engine being used or if there was some other reason Sawyer wanted to avoid situations like that. He apparently ran into trademark issues with the original game so maybe one of the conditions of being able to use the correct names for things again was to make sure things (like planes) couldn't crash and be depicted in a bad light?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

That's a good point, few if any racing games that use licensed brands have damage models for much the same reason.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wow, that is some serious levels of butthurt. :doh:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Poil posted:

Wow, that is some serious levels of butthurt. :doh:

It happens with the Need For Speeds etc all the time. They don't want to see their pretty models banged up.

Though seeing a blog post saying "747 crashes! Kills 300 people!" might not be great publicity. The media is kinda bad about reading the actual story.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I remember in one of the old ones it would even tell you the driver was killed if a freight vehicle crash. Locomotion also has a disclaimer when you start it stating that the performance figures are not representative.

There was an article linked on the forums a while ago about the video game licencing. One, it's all dealt through the carmakers' legal departments, which are naturally risk averse. It's also small fry in car business terms so the non-gamer bosses tend to suggest terms that completely break the game. Two, none of the makers line up right; e.g one might allow panel damage but the car can't roll over, another allows it only to the base trim model only.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Jaguars! posted:

I remember in one of the old ones it would even tell you the driver was killed if a freight vehicle crash. Locomotion also has a disclaimer when you start it stating that the performance figures are not representative.

There was an article linked on the forums a while ago about the video game licencing. One, it's all dealt through the carmakers' legal departments, which are naturally risk averse. It's also small fry in car business terms so the non-gamer bosses tend to suggest terms that completely break the game. Two, none of the makers line up right; e.g one might allow panel damage but the car can't roll over, another allows it only to the base trim model only.

Both the original Transport Tycoon and Transport Tycoon Deluxe (and I guess OpenTTD) would have a headline like 'Driver killed in collision with X!' (it's actually been a long time since I played, I don't remember the exact phrase). It would be displayed for any trucks or empty buses that got hit.

The 'no damage' clause in most games also seems to be much rarer these days. Granted the last racing game I played was Next Car Game so that doesn't really count, but something like NFS: Hot Pursuit (which was the last other racing game I've played) also had rather significant damage modeled on their cars and most race objectives involved causing violent, and often fatal, collisions to knock out your opponents. Maybe it's just less of am issue these days, or the publishers have better negotiators working for them now?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Dont forget movies like Fast and Furious.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does the game run out of relevant names when it picks names like "Farm 3" or are those just, like, the names the map was seeded with?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Glazius posted:

Does the game run out of relevant names when it picks names like "Farm 3" or are those just, like, the names the map was seeded with?

Basically, it tries to name the industry after the city. So you'll get London Farm.
Or Christchurch Coal Mine 2

When an industrty is too far from a city or it can't figure out which city to put it in, it drops the city name, so you get Farm 3.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
After reading that list of vehicles I cant stop giggling. Every vehicle i named is making money!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Even Sponsored by GM is making an (admittedly pathetic) amount of money and that was deliberately put on a gimped route!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

1956-1964: Dieselization
Locomotion Soundtrack - A Good Head Of Steam/ Jumping The Rails
I much prefer Good Head Of Steam.

Click here to name a vehicle!

I planned to spend two more years modernizing before renewing expansion, but in the event I spent eight.

The moment I start playing, the second farm on our new Tuakau route closes down. We make the best of it and extend the route across the Waikato.

This is shortly followed by the print shop in Papakura closing down. This may have been because the feeder route was one of our worst, it received about one train of paper per year. Having a station nearby that doesn't serve them tends to have a negative effect on industries. Removing the junctions to the Papakura station does improve traffic flow. The Station itself is mothballed in case it comes in handy for later.

We create a station for the local paper based just south of the CBD. The shorter route means that trains from the paper mill at Henderson have a much easier time reaching their destination.

The Chowick express becomes our first railcar.

Towards the end of the fifties, the last of our mighty class Js are replaced, replaced by the slighter, cheaper, class 35.

Most of our medium duty trains are replaced by the class E8 locomotives.

Down south, slow, powerful RSD-15s take over the heavy coal and iron supply trains.

As the sixties continue, some of the last steamers give way to the Century series locos on high ticket routes.

The original station at Pokeno is finally given an upgrade to allow traffic to flow smoothly.

An odd thing happened here when directionalizing the station - removing one semaphore signal and replacing it with a traffic light ends up with two signals on the same side.

Any upgrade to our enormous number of grain carrier trucks is eagerly anticipated. Actually replacing them is a chore, but it's rewarded as we see faster service.

This is a logical add on to the new Printworks station, helping to prevent a goods backlog.

Spending the decade sorting out train routes makes for a short update, and it's hard to convey in screenshots the sense of achievement when I realize that there is nothing left to fix. I've been tweaking junctions, moving waypoints by as little as one square, building some signals and eliminating others, shifting trains and reprogramming their orders. Trams, ships and planes are relatively quick to fix, the only problem is that the fist wave of upgrades is now seven years old and aging rapidly...

And now it's time for the News!

Another industry killed by transport, as Burgundy's has lumber stations all around, none of which ever deliver cattle.

Good news for a mine that we are already serving!

The goods truck at Papakura was changed to mail.

Nooo! The humble Lion red is gone. DB Bitter reigns supreme.

Our multiple units carry a few bags of mail, so there are quite a few of these messages.

This closes another of our routes on the Hunua branch. We Deliver Jaguars is retasked to one of the Awhitu peninsular lines.

Did I mention we bought a 707? We bought a 707 for our busiest route!

Our focus on efficiency is slowly upping cargo volume.

About Time!

Various other models have arrived, our intercity buses are now TDHes, There's a few conrails about, MV Wu-tang secret has been upgraded and we have a class 47 and an M420 on trial.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 23, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

So is this a town laying out a new road grid to grow, or losing buildings to shrink, or what?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Glazius posted:

So is this a town laying out a new road grid to grow, or losing buildings to shrink, or what?
That's just the "transparent buildings" option so you can see behind them.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yeah, not the best screenshot of one but at that stage I was damned if i could be bothered going through the video again to find a better one.

OK, so now that our network is under control again, what shall we do now? Scrooge is willing to fund the construction of one secondary industry:

• Factory
  • Brewery
  • Food Plant
  • Winery
  • Paper Mill
  • Steel Mill

We need to think carefully about where we'd put it. A smart location could open up new clusters of industry. There's also the thread rule that requires that all rail is connected to the network to think about. (And the exemption for :dong: shaped railways.) Or we could not build at all and continue to connect to existing industries.

Here's our main routes:

And the rest of the industries on the map:

E: Oh, I think it's also time for a new thread title. Any suggestions?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Obviously the answer is a Brewery in Papakura. Keep the plebians happy with cheap beer while we bulldoze their homes to lay down new track.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Printing work on the coast in Drere Point. Can put some more wood into the paper mill in Mangataki too

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Obviously the answer is a Brewery in Papakura. Keep the plebians happy with cheap beer while we bulldoze their homes to lay down new track.
Very viable, thing one thing about that is that it'll put a bunch of grain trains onto the busiest section of line. Which farms should we get the grain from?

Veloxyll posted:

Printing work on the coast in Drere Point. Can put some more wood into the paper mill in Mangataki too

The main difficulty with this is the terrain in the area, which is hilly and forested. (Orere and Mangatangi BTW. Mangatangi, which has grown more or less independently to population 22,793, is 61 times it's IRL size :radcat:)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I vote for something food-related (Brewery, Food Plant) on the Okiwi-Tryphena island. :getin:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Pierzak posted:

I vote for something food-related (Brewery, Food Plant) on the Okiwi-Tryphena island. :getin:

ooh, original. We could dig some canals to some of the coastal farms and have a huge amount of ships.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pierzak posted:

This is a great idea. Let's get some cargo ships going.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jaguars! posted:

Very viable, thing one thing about that is that it'll put a bunch of grain trains onto the busiest section of line. Which farms should we get the grain from?

The main difficulty with this is the terrain in the area, which is hilly and forested. (Orere and Mangatangi BTW. Mangatangi, which has grown more or less independently to population 22,793, is 61 times it's IRL size :radcat:)

Ah. I couldn't quite tell based on the fonts. And looking them up on a real map never occured to me. >.>

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Ah. I couldn't quite tell based on the fonts. And looking them up on a real map never occured to me. >.>

Mangatangi is a lot easier to find on a map than it is in real life ;). Whatever we choose, I'll definitely also make up a line to the Mangatangi mill. The forest to the north looks ideal for a flatbed truck line.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Any other suggestions? I'd like to try and get an update out by the end of the week, since I'm away for most of next week.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Needs more breweries. Everywhere.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Find a way to erase those hideous AI bridges!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Decoy Badger posted:

Find a way to erase those hideous AI bridges!

Oh man, I wish I could. There's just not much scope to do anything, the exploits from the old game have been closed up. The industries and business model is so generous you can't really out compete them. :smith:

I suppose if I put the new plant on Great Barrier Island (the Okiwi-Tryphena Island) the AI will start building bridges from the mainland too. :arghfist:

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Alternatively, could you find a way to turn those AI bridges into giant dicks?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jaguars! posted:

If I'm reading this map right, how about the farm in Patumahoe? Maybe an extra track if necessary, and the plebians won't care about their homes getting demolished to route said track while they're getting cheap local beer from the new Brewery.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

All right, let's get caught up on this.

Credit: myself, Wikipedia, Optimist on the run

Stanier "Princess Coronation" Class 8P
Company: London and North Eastern Railway (LNER), and later British Railways (BR)
Designer: William Stanier
Wheel Arrangement: 4-6-2
First produced: 1937
Total built: 38
Total preserved: 3

You know, it's funny that Jaguars! said he didn't include the A4 in his scenario because streamlining never took off in New Zealand, because guess how a number of the Coronation class locos started off life. The "Coronation Scot" service was the LMS's answer to the LNER's streamlined services, capable of travelling from London to Glasgow in six hours. And the Coronations themselves were Stanier's answer to Gresley's A4 class.

The A4 may have ended up with the steam speed record, but the Coronations held it for a time, setting a record of 114mph in 1937. They also set a power record: 3,330hp being the highest cylinder horsepower set by a British steam locomotive. But then, setting new speed and power records was already beginning to feel a little childish in the years leading up to World War II - and once World War II started, any chance of setting new records went completely out of the window. High speed luxury expresses also fell by the wayside - but the Coronations' sheer pulling power allowed them to still be constructed during the war. Even if some of them came out streamlined in plain black!

Between 1945 and 1949, all the streamlined casings of the Coronation classes were removed - however, over the last few years the National Railway Museum's Dunchess of Hamilton has been restored to its original streamlined condition.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 10, 2016

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

And double post because hey, why not.

Credits: myself, Wikipedia, Phillip Capper

Standard 4MT Tank
Company: British Railways (BR)
Designer: Robert Riddles
Wheel Arrangement: 2-6-4T
First produced: 1951
Total built: 155
Total preserved: 15

The goal of the BR Standard classes was to provide a modern, standardised, economical and versatile steam locomotive fleet for British Railways - the logic being that it would be more economical to keep using steam (fired by local coal supplies) and gradually electrify the network rather than switch to diesel and expensive imported oil (note: this logic did not eventually get followed up on - more on that later). The leader of the design team was Robert Riddles, who had previously designed the War Department's "Austerity" locomotives, as well as working for the LMS. The LMS, thanks to the efforts of Stanier and his successors, were by now producing the best (in terms of simplicity and economy) locomotives of the Big Four, and most of the Standard classes took inspiration from LMS designs.

The Standard classes ended up as something of a mixed bag. The Britannia 7P light pacifics did an excellent job of providing express power to regions like East Anglia, that couldn't support the axle-loadings of previous designs. The 9F heavy freight locomotives proved themselves to be masters of the gradients typical of the UK's coal and iron ore regions in Northern England and Wales. Some classes produced less spectacular results, like the Clan class 6Ps and the 3MTs - or the singular 8P Duke of Gloucester, which only proved its true potential in preservation (and of course, as the BR 8P/SH 8P in Transport Tycoon, the final and most advanced steam loco in that game). Others did reasonable jobs, but were simply slightly more modern versions of pre-existing locos, designed with extra convenience features and fitting into BR's new L1 loading gauge.

The Standard 4 Tank fell sort of into that bracket as an evolution of a Stanier and Fairburn design (with a few small differences: the curved tanks were a requirement of the L1 gauge), but it still played an important role: chiefly suburban passenger work out of London, requiring fast acceleration and a fair turn of speed to cope with demanding start-stop schedules. Being a tank engine also helped with the fact that these suburban lines were essentially glorified branch lines, with no turntables. They were also seen on a variety of other branch lines around the country, filling useful roles.

Unfortunately, the time of the Standard Classes would be all too short, as the Modernisation Plan of 1955 decided that switching to diesel would be the way to go after all :doh:. So all of these shiny new locomotives that could have taken British steam traction through the 70s and into the 80s? Abolished from the national rail network by 1968, with the vast majority of them scrapped. The paradoxical upside of this was that the glut of steam engines being shunted off to the scrapyards meant that the railway preservation societies starting to spring up around the country had plenty of time to raise funds and buy some of the locomotives before they were all scrapped.

Had the locomotives been phased out more normally, the railway preservation movement in the UK would be nowhere near as strong as it is, and there would probably be far fewer steam locomotives running around on preserved lines today (see also the Beeching cuts that resulted in the axing of many of Britain's branchlines - several of which would become ideal sites for preserved railways. It's weird to have mixed feelings about this stuff). Of particular note was Woodham Brothers' scrapyard in Barry, South Wales, where 213 locomotives were saved from scrap. Of the 16 largest preserved railway sites in the UK (not counting the National Railway Museum, presumably), 162 of their 262 steam locomotives came from Barry.

Either way, the Standard Classes were a fitting way for steam traction in Britain to bow out.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Thanks again Paul, your series has been just the right mix of interesting and informative. We still have a few 4MTs, which I used for various light freight and secondary production transport. They're getting old now though and will might be sold off in the next upgrade if the type becomes obsolete.

I've started playing the latest round, but I don't know if i'll get it out before I leave on Saturday, I've got a trip to pack for, a couple of deadbolts to install and a car whose pre-engaged starter motor no longer engages :smith:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A short and sweet update is all I've got time for at the moment, enjoy.

1964-1967: Hardly a Rail in Sight
Locomotion Soundtrack - Steamin' Down Town
A jaunty number that accompanies the sixties.

Click here to name a vehicle!

We Build a quick and efficient truck circuit in Mangatangi. I quickly exhaust the stock of Truck names and keep buying them until I can't think of any more names off the top of my head.

I decide to build a food plant on Great Barrier, as a brewery would be limited to the few grain farms near the gulf. It's well within our coffers, so the other ideas you suggested may eventually show up as well. I like the way $3 million drifts away in the same way as a $10 bus stop.

Our first Target is Orewa Farm, with a convenient stream valley suitable for enlarging.

Scrooge is definitely going to have to get over his phobia of embankments here because it's impossible to create canals with only single level elevation changes. (I've been playing by this rule the whole time and by god it can be a pain in the arse.)

Three boats should keep the farmers happy. Each boat has a capacity of 200t.

Casting round for more business, Scrooge finds the Onetangi Farm. But going round the outside would take too long...

So the Navvies are called in again.

What, you mean you've never bifurcated an island before?!

We quickly exhaust the supply of ship names too.

And since we went to the trouble of digging the canal, it's logical that we service Ponui Island Farm too. My Dad bought sheep from Ponui Island once. He had to drive out to meet the barge and help herd them off. Well I guess that's my most New Zealand story ever.

With all these new ships, the sea lanes start to look rather crowded.

One of the towns on Great Barrier is just big enough for significant food shipments, so we truck some of the newly processed food to them. Including the debut of the mighty FORD TRANSIT VAN MK I!

And now it's time for the News!

This should help increase the efficiency of the southern part of the rail system.

The other varieties of Transit Van.

Burgundy somehow even had the water speed record! We put that right.

A classic rig becomes available.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 11, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

quote:

Scrooge is definitely going to have to get over his phobia of embankments here because it's impossible to create canals with only single level elevation changes. (I've been playing by this rule the whole time and by god it can be a pain in the arse.)
As designed. If I'm going to impose a rule, it's going to be either hillarious or obnoxious.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I definitely have no problem with that. aside from the single network rule, which was voted on by everyone, it's the one that's had the most effect. It makes me follow the terrain more.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
At this point, what's the largest plane that it makes sense to run? A 747 can probably carry more passengers than the entire real-life population of these villages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do you get a share of the proceeds from any building you build yourself, or is that abstracted out as the same share you'd get from successful transport of a third party?

• Locked thread