Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Oh hey gbs! Actually your imagined insectopia is not that far off- using techniques similar to pavlov and his dogs scientists have been able to successfully train bees as biosensors. That is, they can be trained to seek out explosives, drugs, anything with a smell a bee can pick up. Plus their training takes hours compared to the months it takes for a dog to pick up similar skills. And they fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Don't the ants at chernobyl collect radioactive particles cos they're warm?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Free Cheese posted:

Oh hey gbs! Actually your imagined insectopia is not that far off- using techniques similar to pavlov and his dogs scientists have been able to successfully train bees as biosensors. That is, they can be trained to seek out explosives, drugs, anything with a smell a bee can pick up. Plus their training takes hours compared to the months it takes for a dog to pick up similar skills. And they fly.

Releasing clouds of bees in an airport to do security checks would probably be a great idea. :v:

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord

Mithaldu posted:

Releasing clouds of bees in an airport to do security checks would probably be a great idea. :v:

While I unironically agree with you I think they've found most success with mine fields

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TotalLossBrain posted:

The contamination problems at Hanford are usually tied to tumbleweeds (because they have very deep roots in an early part of their life cycle and suck a lot of nasty out of the ground), mice (because they eat everything), rabbits, and wasps.
Every animal that is killed on the reservation - over 550 square miles - is brought to a lab to be autopsied, stored, and eventually disposed of at the local rad waste processor. There's a herd of elk nearly 1,000 strong on site. They get hit by cars regularly.
I worked on site for a few years. It was the most miserable work experience I've ever had. Everyone is a WASP with conservative mindset. While sucking on the government teat, it's quite amazing.

:ohdear:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DemeaninDemon posted:

The idea is when something fucks up in a mine people don't get hurt. They die.

That fire? Have fun with no more oxygen.

Support structure breaks? Don't burrow into the rock just right? Have fun digging dudes out.

Sure, but writing a citation because there was a snickers wrapper in a garbage can without a lid on it probably isn't going to prevent a lot of underground fires or roof collapses.

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
I think if you find a snickers the you've found an unhealthy mofo

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MG2 posted:

I think if you find a snickers the you've found an unhealthy mofo

Maybe you're not aware, but the healthy peanut protein found in snickers really satisfies and can prevent Betty White from acting like a total bitch.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Literal welfare queens!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FrankieGoes posted:

Sure, but writing a citation because there was a snickers wrapper in a garbage can without a lid on it probably isn't going to prevent a lot of underground fires or roof collapses.

Yeah, probably not. It's probably a thing where they figure if things get sloppy anywhere on site, there is a chance that other workers who observe that standard being acceptable will spread the slackness until it does lead to something dangerous. This way every worker gets the "no sloppy trash baskets" message drilled into their heads.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Hah, I didn't notice that when writing it. To be fair, the middle-aged white guys are really good at tracking contamination everywhere.
In 2004, I watched Bill Nye being made to take off his pants because an HP (Health-Physics tech, deals with radiation & contamination) detected a speck of contamination on it after he tried exiting the refueling floor at the Columbia Generating Station nuclear power plant. He was doing recording for some future show.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TotalLossBrain posted:

Some kind of mud wasp?

Similar to mud daubers, my favorite OSHA bug. Bit of a backstory: The Hanford site in Washington State is where all plutonium production happened in the Cold War years. As you might expect, the place is a mess of a radioactive wasteland. Very expensive cleanup has been going on since the 90's.
Something the cleanup people are working with are 'fixants' - they affix contamination onto a surface. Say you have an underground valve pit for radioactive waste and it has radioactive dust all over everything. Trying to clean it (well) in place is crazy, so you spray a fixant on it.
Sometime in the mid/late 90's, a new fixant was looking very promising. It kept contamination levels down and was easy to apply and work with.
A few months after first use, however, stray bits of radioactivity were picked up in the nearest town, Richland, which is about 15 miles away. This increased over the summer. After some sleuthing, the culprit was found to be the mud dauber wasp. The new fixant contained glucose and the mud daubers took a liking to it. Then they'd spread out and build nests elsewhere. After a few months, they had finally gotten far enough away to be noticed.
The contamination was cleaned up and a different fixant used.

Wasps are cool and smart. They know what they want and how to get it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Here's a great read with regards to criticality accidents. The term refers to a situation in which the neutron balance in a nuclear material is severely out of whack, in a very bad way - more neutrons produced than neutron absorbed, leading to an uncontrolled chain reaction. Usually the reaction will fizzle out because the geometry gets blown out (literally) or some neutron poison is introduced. If the criticality is energetic enough, it will produce Cherenkov radiation. It's like a sonic boom, but for energetic particles. The particle in question will travel faster than the phase velocity for the medium it is traveling in.

If you see it, you're likely going to die. This is what killed Harry Daghlian in 1944 and Louis Slotin in 1945, likely the very first radiation victims of nuclear weapons.
Anyways, it's a great and ghastly read.

E: I probably got Cherenkov details all wrong, as pointed out by helpful goons below.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 15, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TotalLossBrain posted:

If the criticality is energetic enough, it will produce Cherenkov radiation. It's like a sonic boom, but for energetic particles. The particle in question will travel faster than the phase velocity for the medium it is traveling in.

If you see it, you're likely going to die. This is what killed Harry Daghlian in 1944 and Louis Slotin in 1945, likely the very first radiation victims of nuclear weapons.
Anyways, it's a great and ghastly read.

Cherenkov radiation doesn't have to do with how supercritical something is, it happens when charged particles travel faster than the speed of light in a medium. The blue flash during Slotin and Daghlian's accidents with that core weren't Cherenkov radiation, because the particles in question aren't traveling fast enough in air to do that. It was just straightforward ionization of the air in the room.

Which is plenty bad enough.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TotalLossBrain posted:

If you see it, you're likely going to die.

If nuclear materials are submerged in more than a few feet of water, you can stare at the cool blue glow all day with no problems.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

haveblue posted:

If nuclear materials are submerged in more than a few feet of water, you can stare at the cool blue glow all day with no problems.

I should have added "without a few feet of water shielding".
But then again, I messed up the details about it anyhow.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 15, 2016

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/6ODvJeG.gifv

Stay safe st.patricks day!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm the drunk guy bouncing excitedly as the roof collapses.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm the drunk guy bouncing excitedly as the roof collapses.

lol if this isn't your automatic reaction to watching a sickass tragedy unfold

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

lol if this isn't your automatic reaction to watching a sickass tragedy unfold

I like to think the dude who walks out of frame right as the collapse starts just kept on walking. He seems like he's got important stuff on his mind.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Cthulu Carl posted:

I like to think the dude who walks out of frame right as the collapse starts just kept on walking. He seems like he's got important stuff on his mind.

'gotta get out of here before they find the sawn-through beams...'

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Literally brought down the house

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Mozi posted:

It was an inside job.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Nude posted:

It was an inside job.

Fat thighs cant break rafter beams!!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mozi posted:

Too late, the carpenter sold you out.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

OSHA thread help: there was this one radiation incident that involved a worker bypassing a ridiculous number of safety procedures including an open pit and pressure plates in order to get deeper into a radioactive area, and he was eventually exposed to a rack of radioactive stuff that was supposed to be behind a sheet or grate or something. Does anyone remember the name of this incident?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Eight-Six posted:

OSHA thread help: there was this one radiation incident that involved a worker bypassing a ridiculous number of safety procedures including an open pit and pressure plates in order to get deeper into a radioactive area, and he was eventually exposed to a rack of radioactive stuff that was supposed to be behind a sheet or grate or something. Does anyone remember the name of this incident?

Sounds like the incidents at Nesvizh, Belarus and Soreq, Israel, probably the first because it’s the one with the open pit.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 15, 2016

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
the Nedelin disaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVrapD9-K3g

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nedelin_catastrophe

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Sounds like the incidents at Nesvizh, Belarus and Soreq, Israel, probably the first because it’s the one with the open pit.

First one's it, thanks, though I'll also be reading the latter because this poo poo is interesting.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

If this is the video I think it is, it contains a whole LOT of people being burned alive on camera.

FYI.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

"Do you have stairs in your house?"
"Yeah, but they're not protected."

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
That does not look like he's wearing proper protection gear. :colbert:

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Pointing it over your head seems like a bad idea

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Taken from the train thread:

MikeCrotch posted:

:stare:

I'm going to guess China.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

calvus posted:

Pointing it over your head seems like a bad idea

It absolutely is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9DkciMTsLI&t=73s

That feel when you have to blow on your flamethrower because it's on fire.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Zero One posted:

Taken from the train thread:

Do you have any other plans for what to do with your piles of slag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

It absolutely is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9DkciMTsLI&t=73s

That feel when you have to blow on your flamethrower because it's on fire.

That's the most russian thing I have seen in a while