Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

Yeah this. Mech and spaceship games are going to be amazing with a headset. I'm not sure how a third person game like Souls would even work.

when ive seen 3rdperson demos you are the orbiting camera but with free look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That's what the reprojection is there for.
The what?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Videos I saw of the feed from a VR headset show it really jittery. I guess that means that it is following head movements very carefully and that's a good thing, but does our brain automatically correct for that when it is inside the headset in the same way it does for real life?
If the framerate and input polling are fast enough, yeah. That's why the 60fps games on PSVR get scanned out at 120hz, and each frame is reprojected at the last possible moment to the current head position at that moment in time. Its better if the game just runs at 90/120 from the start, but that's what makes 60fps games like Driveclub work comfortably.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

when ive seen 3rdperson demos you are the orbiting camera but with free look.

Well yeah, but I can see a lot of people not reacting well to that physiologically.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Man, what happened to make the price of Vita headsets go up? I remember picking up 2 for $18 and now they're going for $40 a piece. I feel like I should have gotten ten of them when I had the chance, and now I need a new cheap alternative.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

How many ears do you have??

acksplode
May 17, 2004

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/asynchronous-timewarp-examined/ (Asynchronous Time Warp = reprojection)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Man, what happened to make the price of Vita headsets go up? I remember picking up 2 for $18 and now they're going for $40 a piece. I feel like I should have gotten ten of them when I had the chance, and now I need a new cheap alternative.

I imagine the supplies are startling to dwindle since there's no big call for them anymore.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I need a new cheap alternative.
http://www.amazon.com/Afterglow-LVL-Wired-Headset-playstation-4/dp/B00ZJEMQW2

cheap, comfortable, not terrible sound quality

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

How many ears do you have??

I have zero to negative audiophilia so I just carry around earbuds that I continually swap between my PC, my PS4, and my phone. I am also a klutz so I've gotten them tangled up in things and snapped them, or lost the rubber bud part, or lose the headset entirely, so I like to have extras on hand

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
So psvr literally won't work at all without the camera? That seems crazy that they would announce the bundle without it since I imagine basically no one has the camera.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

homeless snail posted:

If the framerate and input polling are fast enough, yeah. That's why the 60fps games on PSVR get scanned out at 120hz, and each frame is reprojected at the last possible moment to the current head position at that moment in time. Its better if the game just runs at 90/120 from the start, but that's what makes 60fps games like Driveclub work comfortably.
That's not what I mean though. Your head naturally jerks around a bit when you move it, and for your own vision this is no problem because your eye movements and your brain counteract it. But say, if you watch a GoPro video that was filmed from someone's head, or this video feed, it looks like it's jerking and jittering around all the time. What I don't know is if you put on the headset, do your eyes and brain treat what you are seeng as real things and activate that compensation system, or do they still act like its on a screen?

Edit: reading the article by the Oculus guys earlier it took me a bit to figure out that juddering =jittering and not some technical jargon they were using.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 16, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tgent posted:

So psvr literally won't work at all without the camera? That seems crazy that they would announce the bundle without it since I imagine basically no one has the camera.

they want the report headlines to read below 400. retailers are bound to do a bundle deal on them.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's not what I mean though. Your head naturally jerks around a bit when you move it, and for your own vision this is no problem because your eye movements and your brain counteract it. But say, if you watch a GoPro video that was filmed from someone's head, or this video feed, it looks like it's jerking and jittering around all the time. What I don't know is if you put on the headset, do your eyes and brain treat what you are seeng as real things and activate that compensation system, or do they still act like its on a screen?

The jitteriness of the GoPro video is unsettling because it's not caused by your own movements, so your brain can't do the math that presents your consciousness with a stable image. As long as the VR is faithfully reproducing the effects of your head's movement in the display with little delay (this is where reprojection helps), it should feel totally natural.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Someone I know wants $250 for an old PS4 (cuh-1001a I think) and it comes with The Bat Men. Good price? Should I hold out and try to find a matte one? Help.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
PSVR seems cool... I'll wait for the inevitable price drop/bundled game & camera that will be out by holiday 2017 though.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tgent posted:

This sounds insane, but the PS4 camera had 900k of sales back in March of 2014.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/20/5529874/ps4-playstation-camera-sales-scarcity

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I will not buy that stupid camera.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Firstborn posted:

Should I hold out and try to find a matte one? Help.
it seems like the chances are good that if you have an old one with the fake buttons you will probably develop disc drive issues at some point. i wouldnt risk it but if that $100 is the difference between you buying a ps4 or not then do what you gotta do

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
gently caress. It's only the difference of a month or so, maybe, but I guess i should hold out. damnit.

E: I'm mildly annoyed that websites where I can buy cheap ps4s tend to use stock pictures (of the shiny old model) and don't have model information available.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 16, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Firstborn posted:

gently caress. It's only the difference of a month or so, maybe, but I guess i should hold out. damnit.

if your disc drive breaks it will cost you the 150 to get repaired anyway. better safe than sorry. also if you're on a budget the new model uses like half the power of the old one which saves a couple bucks here and there i guess

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

loving finally. It's been torture having to sit on the PS VR stuff for this long, but at least now the cat's out of the bag. The press is getting about four hours to play a bunch of stuff, so I'm eager to see what the write-ups will be like, but the short version is that anyone wondering if the PS4 can handle VR will be very pleasantly surprised.

There's some really good demonstrations of the tech already in place, so I'm expecting (hoping?) that the previews end up being a bunch of "oh, hey, this is actually really solid"-type impressions. Without a doubt, the strongest thing PS VR has going for it right now is ergonomics and overall visual quality (as in a lack of screen door effect).

My Vive should be here in a few more weeks, Rift a few more after that, and between now and October, I get to see how some of the more promising demos are coming along before they get shown off properly at E3.

VR's actually happening. I loving love how spoiled we're all gonna be with games (VR and otherwise) by the end of the year. :dance:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Videos I saw of the feed from a VR headset show it really jittery. I guess that means that it is following head movements very carefully and that's a good thing, but does our brain automatically correct for that when it is inside the headset in the same way it does for real life?

Videos of VR output often have really bad tearing because the video isn't synchronized to that display at all and is running at a different frame rate, some of that jitter feel could just be the way the feed is being captured and converted. Because they're not streaming it at 90fps or 120fps, its being streamed at 60fps. (Or 30? Or 24? gently caress I don't even know)

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Yoshida confirmed there will be VR + camera + move bundles in North America. No price announced yet.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah he cites large numbers of cameras sold as one reason for having the base package unbundled but those people would probably buy anything anyway - they bought a useless camera already

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, drat. No Man's Sky in VR will be awesome.

At that price point I am pretty tempted but I'm gonna need some reviews from people who wear glasses so I can see if it's something I can use.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I have one and I don't even know why.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

At that price point I am pretty tempted but I'm gonna need some reviews from people who wear glasses so I can see if it's something I can use.

I don't think they've said anything about PSVR support for this game.

Ace Combat 7, on the other hand... Feel the Rush of Superior Air Power

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The people who've tried all of them say PSVR is the one that most accommodates glasses, cause it doesn't strap directly to your face like the others.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I'm going to buy a psvr and a bunch of molly and die from my epilepsy while playing Rez

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They should make a bundle that includes Rez and the Trance Suit

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

This is what I really wanted to know.

Now, here's the big question. Will there be a PS4 + VR + Camera + Move package as well?

I'm still PS4-Less. Should I just wait until October? I think I can wait that long to make the purchase. I really want the headset.

I'd say the probability of a bundle including a PS4 itself is at least 90%. Anyone else agree?

I am very happy over the PlayStation VR. I want one. I'm annoyed they pushed it back to October, but I can live with that. They probably just want to really sell it for Christmas. Also, it gives me more time to save up the $$$ to buy all I need.

Here's hoping it is great and really catches on. Even if the PSVR isn't as powerful as the competitors, it is cheaper and plug and play into a PS4. For that reason, it has so much more potential to go mainstream :)

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Gotta get those 399$ headlines.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Did I miss something or was there already an announcement where Sony said "The Last Guardian is actually a thing that will be released"?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did I miss something or was there already an announcement where Sony said "The Last Guardian is actually a thing that will be released"?

They went so far to give it a release date, yes.

Of 2016.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes, it was redebuted at E3 2015.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I bet lots of people are gonna buy PSVR, get home, and then find out they need to buy a Ps Camera as well.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If you can drop 400 without even looking up what else you need, the annoyance will last about 30 seconds and most of it will belong to a gamestop employee.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would hope you could at least use the headset without a camera for flat mode, and it wouldn't just lock you out for no reason if you don't have a camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Is the camera being used for the head tracking? Or just some kind of walk-around-the-room tracking.

• Locked thread