Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tommy 2.0 posted:

During Sun and Fun (what a loving poo poo show) it isn't uncommon for more than a few of our sectors to have 2-3 trackers. Winter months will have our AR Routes with a tracker drat near half the time.

I'd really like to see Cedar Key during the Sun 'N Fun departure push. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

This is how ZJX does it, every area. What you talk about is pretty god drat logical and how they "train" tracker is the dumbest poo poo. Glad to hear you are doing that. Typically what I see is:

Tracker: Another set of eyes (stands behind, to the side if needed).
R-Side: Keeps doing their thing.
D-Side: Keeps doing their thing.

During Sun and Fun (what a loving poo poo show) it isn't uncommon for more than a few of our sectors to have 2-3 trackers. Winter months will have our AR Routes with a tracker drat near half the time.

I've gotten a surprising amount of push back for preferring to do it like this. When people make me sit down as the tracker I feel completely useless as I'm basically just trying to keep up with what the R-side is doing instead of scanning for conflicts so airplanes don't touch each other.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

MrYenko posted:

I'd really like to see Cedar Key during the Sun 'N Fun departure push. :allears:

That area is full of people who wouldn't make it in FSS. Needless to say that area is a EEO nightmare. It is 6 figure welfare. That area is so bad they don't even bother to speak up for themselves when the other areas tell them to shut up and color since they aren't real controllers. Luckily for them they don't catch a fraction of SunNFun as the North Ares(Brunswick/Jekyll). The West Area deals with it a little bit, but the large disgusting absolutely loving unsafe overwhelming majority of SunNFun bullshit is dealt with by one drat sector at ZJX. We feel really bad for Jax Approach though because everything we deal with they eventually deal with. Plus all the VFR Tards that are already in their airspace. I honestly want to be a fly on the wall over there one day during that week.

So yeah, it would be interesting to see cedar key during sun n fun, but only because you would sit there like :psyduck: with what they are freaking the gently caress out about. It will literally make you angry.

fknlo posted:

I've gotten a surprising amount of push back for preferring to do it like this. When people make me sit down as the tracker I feel completely useless as I'm basically just trying to keep up with what the R-side is doing instead of scanning for conflicts so airplanes don't touch each other.

Sorry you are dealing with that. I will say a few controllers came in from other facilities trying to do it the "wrong" way. They tried it the way you prefer, the way ZJX does it, and they will never go back because it JUST MAKES SENSE.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 25, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bruce Dickinson and the Iron Maiden 747 are out and about today; Call sign is Atlanta 666, if you see them. Should be well on their way to Tulsa as of right now.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

MrYenko posted:

Bruce Dickinson and the Iron Maiden 747 are out and about today; Call sign is Atlanta 666, if you see them. Should be well on their way to Tulsa as of right now.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ABD666/history/20160225/1900Z/KFLL/KTUL

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Sounds like the Senate killed the ATC Privatization portions of the aviation bill. We'll see how funding goes in the next month.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

We'll see how funding goes in the next month.

I'm gonna get a kick out of them highlighting exactly why the union is for privatization :allears:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The irony of the entire thing is hilarious. Seriously, congress is so incompetent that a public sector union is pro-privatization.

Up is down. Dogs and cats living together. Etc.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Up is down. Dogs and cats living together. Etc.

That man has no dick.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

Tommy 2.0 posted:

That area is full of people who wouldn't make it in FSS. Needless to say that area is a EEO nightmare. It is 6 figure welfare. That area is so bad they don't even bother to speak up for themselves when the other areas tell them to shut up and color since they aren't real controllers. Luckily for them they don't catch a fraction of SunNFun as the North Ares(Brunswick/Jekyll). The West Area deals with it a little bit, but the large disgusting absolutely loving unsafe overwhelming majority of SunNFun bullshit is dealt with by one drat sector at ZJX. We feel really bad for Jax Approach though because everything we deal with they eventually deal with. Plus all the VFR Tards that are already in their airspace. I honestly want to be a fly on the wall over there one day during that week.

So yeah, it would be interesting to see cedar key during sun n fun, but only because you would sit there like :psyduck: with what they are freaking the gently caress out about. It will literally make you angry.

Sorry you are dealing with that. I will say a few controllers came in from other facilities trying to do it the "wrong" way. They tried it the way you prefer, the way ZJX does it, and they will never go back because it JUST MAKES SENSE.

This perfectly describes the Coastal area. (Low Altitude Vero / Fort Pierce area). They work about 8% of the traffic in the building, but think they're God's gift to ATC.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Two_beer_bishes, share with us your fate. Where have you gone, sweet prince?

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

TangoFox posted:

This perfectly describes the Coastal area. (Low Altitude Vero / Fort Pierce area). They work about 8% of the traffic in the building, but think they're God's gift to ATC.

I would love love loving LOVE if areas were paid separate levels. Would be so drat funny seeing a level 6 area working 20 feet away from a level 12.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Two_beer_bishes, share with us your fate. Where have you gone, sweet prince?

ZNY! This is my first week and so far I'm really enjoying it! The maps are daunting but everyone is extremely nice and supportive.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Started my arrival sector simulations this week. Been interesting so far. I've learned that I don't like sharing arrival airspace with other controllers (worrying about your sequence along with 2 other controllers' sequence to adjacent runways takes some getting used to.) Learning to transition smoothly between differing types of parallel runway separation is a challenge.

It's funny though, the 50%-traffic familiarization problems that the instructor demoed for me were too busy for him to run effectively.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

two_beer_bishes posted:

ZNY! This is my first week and so far I'm really enjoying it! The maps are daunting but everyone is extremely nice and supportive.

When I was on my grandma's farm as a boy, my uncles would always be super nice and gentle to the cows/pigs before they slit their throats and hung them upside down to bleed out.

Good luck!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

two_beer_bishes posted:

Keep up the hard work. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Here's a video of Matt Lauer working at JFK

Matt Lauer worked in an air traffic control tower - and no one got hurt!

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

The Ferret King posted:

Keep up the hard work. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Here's a video of Matt Lauer working at JFK

Matt Lauer worked in an air traffic control tower - and no one got hurt!

Proof that tower is so easy that Matt Lauer can do it.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
He's pretty good at stuffing strip holders, at least.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

TangoFox posted:

I'm not sure how sarcastic this is, but anyone that has worked a busy tower can assure you the skill cap is MUCH higher than any radar environment. And it can get vastly more complicated.

I've seen Nellis radar controllers used to working red flag come up to the tower and turn ghost white. It's pretty hilarious.

Was I the only one cringing at RUNWAY THIRTY ONE?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Someone was asking when the last time ZLC had a tracker position, yeah? As far my guys know in the 1-2ish years they've been here the position is around, but no one fills it because why bother

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

*sigh*

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I've seen Nellis radar controllers used to working red flag come up to the tower and turn ghost white. It's pretty hilarious.

Sup, ex-Nellis buddy? :respek:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Tommy 2.0 has seen some things. And some stuff.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MrYenko posted:

:3: Garage bands on tour, the singer drives the van; nice to see the legendary rockers with their own plane still having the singer drive.

TangoFox posted:

I'd like to see Ms. Vanderbilt's son try it. (He'd probably actually be pretty good, he seems like the type).

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Was I the only one cringing at RUNWAY THIRTY ONE?

Yeah, shouldn't that be "TREE WUN"? I'm not even in the flying business, and I know that ain't right. Though my dad was an Army radioman, so maybe I care more about radio terminology than the average guy.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I love it when the weather person tells me not to cancel leave because there are going to be thunderstorms tomorrow :swoon:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Looks like two controllers I know are taking the bio assessment. Not sure what the FAA plans on doing with the results. Just want one more shot at the hiring before I turn 31.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
If they're controllers why are they taking the Bio Q? I thought that was for the Off The Street announcements only.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
They're tower. Didn't get a lot of info, but they were asked to take it for "informational purposes" or some such.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Ah ok. That's normal. I remember taking a bunch of tests back when I first went through the academy. All part of their data mining.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Note to self: Be nice to pilots; you never know when one of them is recording, and is going to put your stupid, pointless meltdown on YouTube. :v:

Also heard in the wild today: "No, all I see is call signs. I can't see codes, and I don't appreciate your tone of voice. All I can see is call signs, so what is his call sign?"

:commissar:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrYenko posted:

Note to self: Be nice to pilots; you never know when one of them is recording, and is going to put your stupid, pointless meltdown on YouTube. :v:

Link?

quote:

Also heard in the wild today: "No, all I see is call signs. I can't see codes, and I don't appreciate your tone of voice. All I can see is call signs, so what is his call sign?"

:commissar:

Yeah, there's a button for that but ok. What was the context? Terminal facility calling with a point out using the beacon code only? I realize it's not procedure but don't tell me you En Route guys are unable to see transponder codes ever, at all. Or, whatever it is you're talking about. Your post is very VERY absent of detail.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Link?

Yeah, there's a button for that but ok. What was the context? Terminal facility calling with a point out using the beacon code only? I realize it's not procedure but don't tell me you En Route guys are unable to see transponder codes ever, at all. Or, whatever it is you're talking about. Your post is very VERY absent of detail.

No, it's just some fully checked out en route controllers are really that loving inept at their job. I don't even think I blame the controller. I am pretty sure the fault lies on the dippity doo poo poo that trained them.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVYjqh_c3M4&t=586s

The majority of the angry controller is edited out, but you can hear him still talking to the guy about a procedure turn at ~9:45 or so. (Here's the plate for the approach the guy was on.) He was cleared FOSEL and the approach, but made the procedure turn at EMBRU, and the controller wasn't expecting it. We really don't do very many approach clearances, and some people really aren't comfortable with them.

The Ferret King posted:

Ya, a terminal facility called with a pointout. We can see raw beacon codes if they're untracked (like when an approach uses a local code for something,) or you can force it to display by manually inputting the code into the code list, or (as was the case here with a tracked target,) if you just pull up the track using the beacon code the approach controller just gave you. It's one button, and the four keystrokes for the code, plus enter. Hard stuff. The problem here was between the scope and the headset.

Tommy 2.0 posted:

No, it's just some fully checked out en route controllers are really that loving inept at their job. I don't even think I blame the controller. I am pretty sure the fault lies on the dippity doo poo poo that trained them.

Gentlemen, we have a winner, with the caveat that in this instance that I can't bring myself to blame the trainers.

Bonus hilarity: I've heard, more than once, "American Sixteen-Forty-Seven, say CID" over the air. :allears:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrYenko posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVYjqh_c3M4&t=586s

The majority of the angry controller is edited out, but you can hear him still talking to the guy about a procedure turn at ~9:45 or so. (Here's the plate for the approach the guy was on.) He was cleared FOSEL and the approach, but made the procedure turn at EMBRU, and the controller wasn't expecting it. We really don't do very many approach clearances, and some people really aren't comfortable with them.

Ah, yeah. The pilot goofed there for sure.

quote:

Ya, a terminal facility called with a pointout. We can see raw beacon codes if they're untracked (like when an approach uses a local code for something,) or you can force it to display by manually inputting the code into the code list, or (as was the case here with a tracked target,) if you just pull up the track using the beacon code the approach controller just gave you. It's one button, and the four keystrokes for the code, plus enter. Hard stuff. The problem here was between the scope and the headset.

Gentlemen, we have a winner, with the caveat that in this instance that I can't bring myself to blame the trainers.

Bonus hilarity: I've heard, more than once, "American Sixteen-Forty-Seven, say CID" over the air. :allears:

..Jesus Christ....

Back when I started, flight data at Ft Worth and Houston centers was still handled through the old HOST system (don't ask me what that stands for) and aircraft callsign info wasn't shared between facilities unless the HOST computer showed that aircraft's route to track through the specific sector. Calling with a beacon code was appropriate for both Terminal to Terminal, and Terminal to En Route coordination, as far as I knew.

Then ERAM rolled out and automation started becoming linked in more ways. We were then briefed that Centers would know our aircraft's callsign if they had a flight plan in the National Airspace System, but not for aircraft on local beacon codes remaining within a specific TRACON's area of jurisdiction. You center guys still don't see locally tagged aircraft callsigns from adjacent terminal facilities right? Callsign for NAS aircraft pointouts, beacon code for local code still? Or either way and hope the controller is smart enough to figure out their own control console?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Training thought of the day: I am the CRJ-200 climbing at 600ft/min.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

MrYenko posted:

I think the E175 gets that low when we're heavy and trying to make 36,000 but it doesn't usualllly sputter too hard til like 32k+.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I loving hate the 200. I'd rather be in a Dash.

I enjoy EMB145s that are lightly loaded doing a <500 mile hop. Seems like they climb like a rocket.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

I'm the CRJ-200 planning on doing .72 at the front of the line for Atlanta spacing.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

fknlo posted:

I'm the CRJ-200 planning on doing .72 at the front of the line for Atlanta spacing.

Wait, what, is that a thing? I feel like if i slow from .78 to .76 for turbulence penetration speed I get annoyed inquiries as to "my speed"... and we go .80 plenty if it's smooth..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Slaughter posted:

Wait, what, is that a thing? I feel like if i slow from .78 to .76 for turbulence penetration speed I get annoyed inquiries as to "my speed"... and we go .80 plenty if it's smooth..

It's absolutely a thing. Especially with Sky West. He told us he'd be able to give us at least .74 once he leveled off.

:fuckoff: