Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how every one of Batman's rogues are coming out of Indian Hill. Can't wait until Selina gets sent there and injected with experimental cat syrum, or Edward gets tortured by having endless trivia questions read to him.

Though I mean, it being BD Wong it doesn't make it that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

twistedmentat posted:

Edward gets tortured by having endless trivia questions read to him.

Endless games of Trivial Pursuit. Batman will some day defeat him by finding the same edition of the game and just looking at all of the answers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CynCyanide posted:

Endless games of Trivial Pursuit. Batman will some day defeat him by finding the same edition of the game and just looking at all of the answers.

How will he do that when Batman can't sit down?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I see Penguin got early access to Oculus Rift this episode.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Detective No. 27 posted:

So I see Penguin got early access to Oculus Rift this episode.

I have a similar reaction to it. This "technology of the future" stuff is probably really cool if your eyes are "normal".

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Psyched to have seen the proto-Joker corpse in one of the tubes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

They didn't invent the name Victor Fries, that's his name in the comics, and has been since the beginning.

I know, that is my point. They did not need to go that route.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

evilmiera posted:

Then why have Mr. Freeze at all? Just have "Cold Gun Man" or something.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

Then why have Mr. Freeze at all? Just have "Cold Gun Man" or something.

The thing is at this point it would totally be acceptable to have a character introduce himself as "Mr. Gunman. Cold Gunman."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

evilmiera posted:

So also get rid of Edward Nigma as his name is also puny?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it does good to remember that while this show is trying to keep one footplanted on the Island of Police Proceduralism, the other foot is unabashedly in the Sea of Comicbookstuff. So, while they will try to normalize certain aspects of the comics that make them hard to take totally seriously--for example, punny names like "Victor Fries" whose name is pronounced in German as "Freeze" getting the American "Fry-s" pronunciation--they're still going to at least use those names wherever possible. It's part and parcel of Gotham.

Dollmaker? Dr. Dahlmacher.
Mr. Freeze? Mr. Fries.
Baltus Loonman? Balloonman!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Though his name isn't a pun, I really hope we get Kite Man sometime.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Morena Baccarin had her baby March 2nd. She says she stayed on the show as long as possible but Lee will be taking a little break from appearing for a while around the end of the season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The commercial for this week's episode showed just how much the kid who plays Bruce has grown.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Hope the show goes long enough to get Batman

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how Bruce's letter if basically "I'm not Batman yet, but I will be."

The Psycho-billy club Tank Girl was preforming at was kind of a neat set piece, though giving her a Joker/Harle look was a bit much.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I'm so glad to see Lori Petty in something again. She put on a pretty good performance.

Hell, the guy playing Matches did pretty good, too.

They're sending lil' Brucey on a path that will make it slightly more plausible that he's a streetwise detective, especially given the fact that up to now, he's been portrayed as... well, pretty much as you'd expect a rich, lonely, perhaps slightly snobby kid to be portrayed.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

tarlibone posted:

I'm so glad to see Lori Petty in something again. She put on a pretty good performance.

Hell, the guy playing Matches did pretty good, too.

They're sending lil' Brucey on a path that will make it slightly more plausible that he's a streetwise detective, especially given the fact that up to now, he's been portrayed as... well, pretty much as you'd expect a rich, lonely, perhaps slightly snobby kid to be portrayed.

Dude playing Matches nailed the "old man full of regrets" role. And it sounds like they're doing the typical "Bruce travels the world to become wise and skilled" thing but on a smaller scale with him going street rat and learning a bunch of skills that way to make him more street wise and observant/aware of his surroundings.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

The Psycho-billy club Tank Girl was preforming at was kind of a neat set piece, though giving her a Joker/Harle look was a bit much.

I dunno, I thought she displayed some pretty Jokery traits, namely her desire to introduce Bruce to violence and the Dark Knight homage that was her interrogation. I'd kind of like it if random people who make Gotham a worse place just keep acting like the Joker.

Also, from this week's harsh AVClub review: "Having one of your best villains/performers locked up is never a good idea." Pfft. Tell that to season 2 and 3 of Hannibal.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In that underground fightclub scene with Mr. Cupcake, right as the scene starts, there's two people shouting names.

The first person shouted "GRUNDY!". The second shouted "SOLOMON!". I think the dude with the mowhawk was Solomon Grundy, or will probably become the comics Grundy somewhere down the line.

Closed Captioning all day e'rry day.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I hope this doesn't mean we lose either of Alfred or Bruce as far as regular screen time goes :ohdear: but otherwise I am enjoying how Bruce's development is going. The stuff he wrote in his letter at least shows that the writers understand what Batman strives for, or at least TAS-era and on Batman.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I totally see them following the story of Bruce and Selina shaking up, becuase it gives both of them a lot more screen time. Alfred though. Maybe he joins the police force?

Or goes to work for whatever Gotham's version of Argus is.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Alfred can still team up with Lucius Fox and go at the Wayne Enterprises conspiracy angle.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
Anyone else catch the band posters for Sol Invictus all over Tank Girl's club? "The unconquered sun" and all that.

Dunno if it's part of the comics, but I thought it was a nice touch anyway.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Wow. Who would have thought there'd be a Faith No More reference in there?

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

tarlibone posted:

Wow. Who would have thought there'd be a Faith No More reference in there?
Sol Invictus is a punk band. Not that I know a drat thing about them; I had to google them just to see if they made it up for the show or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Invictus_(band)

Honestly it's a pun I'd more expect to find in a Superman show, but they made it work considering Matches' conversation with Bruce. "Here's to you, son!" Bruce is also standing right in front of one of the posters when Lori Petty asks him, "Who doesn't want to play God?"

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 16, 2016

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

tarlibone posted:

Since season 2 i think, she's been a regular on Orange Is The New Black.

That episode really felt like a season finale. Was it a season finale? I didn't think they were done just yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There are 8 episodes left.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Wow, that got surprisingly intense. For a show that's normally a goofy diversion, Bruce confronting Malone actually managed to be good TV.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AtraMorS posted:

Sol Invictus is a punk band. Not that I know a drat thing about them; I had to google them just to see if they made it up for the show or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Invictus_(band)

Honestly it's a pun I'd more expect to find in a Superman show, but they made it work considering Matches' conversation with Bruce. "Here's to you, son!" Bruce is also standing right in front of one of the posters when Lori Petty asks him, "Who doesn't want to play God?"

Can't wait until young Bruce runs into young Clark who's visiting Gotham with his parents.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Wow, that got surprisingly intense. For a show that's normally a goofy diversion, Bruce confronting Malone actually managed to be good TV.

The interrogation scene felt extremely ripped from The Dark Knight.

I liked what they did with Bruce and Malone though. Giving Bruce the chance to take revenge and then realise it's not going to give him the closure he wants is better than the Nolan-Wayne who wanted revenge but had the chance taken away.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Alchenar posted:

The interrogation scene felt extremely ripped from The Dark Knight.

The dark knight ripped it off from Batman 66

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL5AN6LSggA

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Renewed muthafuckas.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Renewed muthafuckas.

Aw yiss.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
The scene between Bruce and Matches was actually a pretty legitimately great dramatic scene. Did they bring in a different set of writers for it?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wait until it turns out Matches wasn't the man who killed Thomas and Martha.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think they'll keep him as the actual shooter, it's just there's still the mystery of who hired him to do it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

bbf2 posted:

The scene between Bruce and Matches was actually a pretty legitimately great dramatic scene. Did they bring in a different set of writers for it?

I want more of this and less of the goofier parts of the show. I mean I still want them to have gothic/horrific and twisted villains and all, but still.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gonz posted:

In that underground fightclub scene with Mr. Cupcake, right as the scene starts, there's two people shouting names.

The first person shouted "GRUNDY!". The second shouted "SOLOMON!". I think the dude with the mowhawk was Solomon Grundy, or will probably become the comics Grundy somewhere down the line.

Closed Captioning all day e'rry day.
I took that scene as those guys playing Marco Polo only with the name Solomon Grundy instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Oracle posted:

I took that scene as those guys playing Marco Polo only with the name Solomon Grundy instead.

Huh.

Come to think of it, that's a pretty good possibility, too.

• Locked thread