Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
Wizard's hat is back on the gem store for 200 gems. 7 days only BUY BUY BUY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

John Lightning posted:

ARE YOU SERIOUS!?
*runs out the door, aimed towards home; getting out his credit card on the way*

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I got mine when it was town clothes.

Hey, anyone remember town clothes?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

to be real though being a member was actually really fun and all the minigames like castle wars were part of the reason why

Until the part where castle wars is 100% people grinding out the four thousand hours of castle wars you have to afk through to get the super completionist cape. You have to unlock this set of armor which takes 3,977 hours. For reference, that's about 11 hours a day, every day, for an entire year straight of playing that minigame.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Magres posted:

Until the part where castle wars is 100% people grinding out the four thousand hours of castle wars you have to afk through to get the super completionist cape. You have to unlock this set of armor which takes 3,977 hours. For reference, that's about 11 hours a day, every day, for an entire year straight of playing that minigame.

i stopped playing before that was around, so that sucks to hear

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

So I was zooming around a map, swooped down inside a cave I saw and over a little lake with a bunch of crap in it, then a message popped up to say I'd just completed a jumping puzzle. That... cannot be right can it? It's the one in Sparkfly with the broken cubes and uh well there were inquest in there as well. I forgot the name of it but how the hell did I do that? Hang on I'll go look it up in the Wiki. Oh, Hexfoundry that's the one. Oh, huh, not a terribly hard one. I bet someone switched them all just before I got there or I lucked out and it isn't one that's protected by a no fly zone.

gently caress yeah, glider supremacy, even some of those shittier vistas are easier now that I can just zoom in from somewhere else. What we need now are little mini gliders for pets/minions so they can keep up, although there's something kind of fun about being halfway through a kill and seeing them come around a bend like the calvalry arriving.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is this game CPU intensive?

I got the PC parts in, everything is working fine but I'm still getting 10 FPS in this, the only thing holding me back still is this worthless piece of poo poo CPU which is bottle necking me.

Just wondering why most everything else seems to be working fine but Guild Wars is still being a bitch, hell I set it to best performance, it set everything to low and I'm still at 10 fps.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Next on Junkyard Wars: Team Sadbrains and Team Carnegie go head to head in our functioning PC challenge!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Is poutine delicious? Why yes, god yes, yes!!

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Canada?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

No, Ethiopia.

km_
Nov 15, 2005

ItBurns posted:

Next on Junkyard Wars: Team Sadbrains and Team Carnegie go head to head in our functioning PC challenge!

I loved watching that show back in the day. I disliked how they screwed the American team named the New England Rubbish Deconstruction Society (the NERDS).

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Alteisen posted:

I got the PC parts in, everything is working fine but I'm still getting 10 FPS in this, the only thing holding me back still is this worthless piece of poo poo CPU which is bottle necking me.

Just wondering why most everything else seems to be working fine but Guild Wars is still being a bitch, hell I set it to best performance, it set everything to low and I'm still at 10 fps.
you can thank all of the legacy GW1 engine code which loves to dry hump your CPU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Change your frame rate from unlimited to 60 or 30 fps. Even though you're getting 10, it still is making GBS threads it's bricks. It'll help a bit.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Alteisen posted:

What model cpu you got? outside of wvw and world boss fights im getting 80+

GW2 like most mmos is all about the cpu

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
There's no real way around the game being CPU intensive, it's constantly calculating where to draw things and predicting people's movements (this is why other players will charge off into the sunset when you D/C instead of freezing in place.) It won't eat your whole processor in some vain attempt to get that sixth frame per second at Frozen Maw at least, but the frame limiter setting just stops it from running as fast as it's allowed in all situations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

CLAM DOWN posted:

No, Ethiopia.

God I wish ethopia was in charge of poutine. It would taste better.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Wait now ArenaNet is talking about fixing Skyhammer so that it doesn't make me want to punch my monitor when it comes up?

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/pvp/Skyhammer-Design-Discussion/first

What fantasy world are we living in? I feel like I don't even know what is going on anymore.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Skyhammer is the only fun spvp map, hth

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Only thing I'd change about Skyhammer is have there be fewer spots where you can get punted to your doom. Most importantly the platform where the Skyhammer control panel is, on like 90% of it you're one knockback away from death.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
NO FUN ALLOWED

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Visidan posted:

What model cpu you got? outside of wvw and world boss fights im getting 80+

GW2 like most mmos is all about the cpu

CPU
AMD Sempron 2650 18 °C
Kabini 28nm Technology

According to speccy.

Everyone tells me this is a giant pile of poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alteisen posted:

CPU
AMD Sempron 2650 18 °C
Kabini 28nm Technology

According to speccy.

Yeah, that's a giant pile of poo poo :( Sorry

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Skyhammer should be left unchanged, but voting for it applies a buff to you called "Just here to have fun!" that disables any skill on your bar which is not a control effect, and reduces your outgoing damage and healing to 0.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Skyhammer is laid out in a really annoying way and I'm glad its a dumb gimmick map because if they take away the dumb gimmick they may as well scrap it, and I like using Banish.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as someone who sees pvp for the pointless, broken sham it is, i have no opinion on this matter

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
They should make the hammer shot more powerful and make it so you can only go up there every once in a while, like stillness or tranquility. that way its less snowbally either way. Even without the hammer the map is still fun as hell though. Love the jump pads.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Alteisen posted:

AMD Sempron 2650

Your phone is more than likely stronger than that.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Which of these statements is correct: "Should of stuck to SW:ToR" or "Should have stuck to SW:ToR"?

A: Neither, the only MMO worth your time and money is Star Citizen.

C: Should of stuck to STO

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hi guys. I need some help with performance in this game, specifically the wildly fluctuating FPS I get. I know people keep saying this game is "very intensive" and "hard on your system" but I can push over 200FPS no problem.

The issue is I am getting 204FPS, 150FPS, 220FPS, 180FPS, 107FPS, 170FPS, 90FPS, 160FPS....just as I am running around and killing stuff. This makes it feel "weird" to play. As you can see, the fact the game gets to 200FPS+, I do not have a slow system. The issue is the massive swings that seem to have no rhyme nor reason. The only exception is if I look at the floor where I get around 240FPS consistently.

I have every single setting maxed at 1920x1200, with vsync off (I always have v-sync off in any game that requires dexterity/dodging), apart from:

- shadows which I had to set to medium or the game stutters like crazy when panning the camera (why is this??)
- post processing (i just don't like the look)

I also have "Effect LoD" unchecked as I do not want to limit particle effects.

I did try turning V-Sync on as my FPS never goes below 80 really, but it makes the game feel like there is mouse lag.

Is there some other setting, apart from shadows, that is broken and needs unchecking? I have messed around with obvious ones like disabling supersampling and turning off AA, but this makes no difference at all.

I have disabled core parking ages ago (not related to this game), and have no temp/mem issues:

- GPUS are 55-60 °C, only 700mb of 4gig used (lol?)
- Max temp of any CPU core is 49 °C

PC is:

5930k @ 4.5ghz
Asus Rampage 5 Extreme mobo
16gb DDR4 @ 3ghz
Samsung 950 pro 512gb
2x EVGA gtx 980 classified in SLI
Corsair 1200 Watt PSU

Thanks.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Try fiddling with your character model options?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Can you actually tell the difference between 200fps and 150fps with your eyeballs or are you just going off the fps number :psyduck:

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CLAM DOWN posted:

Can you actually tell the difference between 200fps and 150fps with your eyeballs or are you just going off the fps number :psyduck:

No of course I cant, but I can feel the responsiveness changing every second. As I said, "it feels weird". I'd lock it 60 if it didn't feel laggy.

The question is, why am I getting over 100FPS variance when some systems don't even hit 100FPS? That seems crazy.

e: Set the frame limiter to 60 and left v-sync off...feels "smoother" but there are still little hiccups now and again. What a weird rear end loving game engine!

spud fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 16, 2016

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
Hammer guardian on Skyhammer is some of the funnest spvp I've had in GW2.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

spud posted:

No of course I cant, but I can feel the responsiveness changing every second. As I said, "it feels weird". I'd lock it 60 if it didn't feel laggy.

The question is, why am I getting over 100FPS variance when some systems don't even hit 100FPS? That seems crazy.

e: Set the frame limiter to 60 and left v-sync off...feels "smoother" but there are still little hiccups now and again. What a weird rear end loving game engine!

100% placebo

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ItBurns posted:

100% placebo

No, the FPS really is changing by sometimes 100 every few seconds. That is not normal.

I didn't even put an FPS counter on until I got fed up of the little stutters and varying mouse responsiveness, and wondered what the gently caress is going on. I am not talking about some First Person Shooter here that is buttery smooth at 60FPS, and then am claiming to be a pro-gamer that needs 100FPS+ buttery smooth because my eyes are special or something. The game is NOT smooth and responsiveness IS changing every second, with little hiccups in smoothness every few seconds also.

spud fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 16, 2016

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i capped my frame rate because i am a gangster

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

CLAM DOWN posted:

There's a restraunt near by that makes the best loving burgers, right? I saw one of their side dishes was poutine of all things, and as far away as canada as I am I had to try it right?

They put loving fried cheddar balls in it and it was loving disgusting. Like, the few pieces of non fried curd in there really added to the flavor and it was pretty nice, but that cheddar ruined it.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

John Lightning posted:

Alright, finally I could complete my muscle wizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i took a screen i think it looks quite cool