Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Not so. If you can afford to talk about buying an FAS, you can certainly afford to buy the rank for one. It costs about 1.5 mil, the missions are only 15k at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
imo Tun is better for fed rep grinding than 17 Drac. Its much closer to goatsec and not only do they have cash donation missions but they also have cargo donation missions which seem to give ya 3-5x the rep. Here are the cargo stuff they ask for

Available at Tun
-Algae
-Grain
-Fruits and vegetables

Available at Aleksandrov Gateway, LHS115 (2ish jumps away)
-Synth Meat
-Agri-Medicines
-Basic Medicines
-Performance Enhancers
-Progenitor Cells
-Reactive Armor
-Nonlethal Weapons

I ground out rear admiral by filling up my python at LHS115 with the stuff listed above, flying to Tun and turning everything in until my ship was empty.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Not so. If you can afford to talk about buying an FAS, you can certainly afford to buy the rank for one. It costs about 1.5 mil, the missions are only 15k at a time

Huh. With all the complaints about having to grind federation rank I assumed it was going to be in the tens of millions range.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

Huh. With all the complaints about having to grind federation rank I assumed it was going to be in the tens of millions range.

Most of those poor bastards are grinding Rear Admiral for the Corvette

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Even then, you can turn a profit of around 30 million credits grinding rep at 17 draconis, if you are so inclined.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Well sounds like I'm slapping a tiny baby size cargo bay in my vulture and roadtripping to 17 Draconis.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Buy a Cobra, getting around in a Vulture is miserable.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

K8.0 posted:

This. Having a beat-up Cobra as a mission runner is a Good Thing :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

Well sounds like I'm slapping a tiny baby size cargo bay in my vulture and roadtripping to 17 Draconis.

K8.0 posted:

If you have your heart set on using the Vulture for all this, throw on a big Fuel tank and buy the baby Cargo rack once you get close.

8-10 Jumps from a full tank in a vulture really helps compared to the barely 4 you'd normally have.

It's also cheaper than splurging on a jumbo fuel scoop.

Buy yeah, Cobra would be a lot better for actually running the missions stated, nevermind just getting there in the first place.

EDIT: Also I'm just sort of assuming you have an A Grade FSD on your vulture here. Otherwise you may as well just punch yourself in the balls every time you push the frameshift button even if you had infinite fuel on road trips.

Why yes, I did what you are thinking of doing in a Vulture to round out to Ensign, why do you ask :shepface:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 16, 2016

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Thirding cobra. I feel you on not wanting to give up the vulture yet, but you already said you're replacing it with the FAS, so you may as well reship now and bring the right tool for the job. Cobra can carry a respectable amount of cargo for a respectable distance, at a cheap cost. May as well try the Tun method listed above

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ok, the 1.5m or so it'd take to outfit a cobra is a much more affordable price than the asp anyway.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I unironically think the Cobra is the best ship in the game, everyone should have one.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

tooterfish posted:

I unironically think the Cobra is the best ship in the game, everyone should have one.

I sold mine for a courier but now that I have money again I will probably buy one again

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I think that of the asp, funnily enough. It's basically a cobra+

I own three skins for it and will continue to buy more, because I don't think I'll ever stop coming back to it, it's so drat good at so many things

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 16, 2016

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I threw this together and considering it's 19 jumps to Tun and 93 jumps to 17 Draconis I think I'll be heading to Tun. I've never really done cargo hauling before, am I missing anything crucial? I've only got 867k in my pocket so I won't be A ranking much.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/04D4C4A3D3A3D4C2727181800-03034800-2h.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==?bn=Cheap%20Cobra

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

tooterfish posted:

If the small hardpoints weren't in such a terrible position it'd be the best.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

I threw this together and considering it's 19 jumps to Tun and 93 jumps to 17 Draconis I think I'll be heading to Tun. I've never really done cargo hauling before, am I missing anything crucial? I've only got 867k in my pocket so I won't be A ranking much.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/04D4C4A3D3A3D4C2727181800-03034800-2h.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==?bn=Cheap%20Cobra
That's weird. The entirety of human space is only about 600LY across, and 17 Draconis is only about 200LY outside of that. That Cobra should make it to 17 Draconis from almost anywhere in the bubble in less than 30 jumps.

Are you using fastest route?

edit: You'll also need a fuel scoop to do Draconis efficiently, and downgrading the power plant to a 2A will give you better heat management.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/02A4C4A3D3A3D4C2727181800-03344801012h.Iw1-kA==.IwBhrSvKg===?bn=Cheap%20Cobra

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 16, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tooterfish posted:

I always loved mine

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tooterfish posted:

Are you using fastest route?

oh my god how much time have i wasted

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Is it worthwhile to bring guns and good shields out on these missions or is cargohold size the only important thing?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Shouldn't need guns at all.

I bring them purely to gank those jerk NPC Sidewinders that pull you over all the time. Some people use them to shoot cops to stop them scanning you, but that's not really necessary in the Cobra in my experience. Going silent and boosting away works fine in a small fast ship.

Cowcaster posted:

You live and learn. :mmmhmm:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

tooterfish posted:

Shouldn't need guns at all.

I bring them purely to gank those jerk NPC Sidewinders that pull you over all the time. Some people use them to shoot cops to stop them scanning you, but that's not really necessary in the Cobra in my experience. Going silent and boosting away works fine in a small fast ship.
You live and learn. :mmmhmm:

NPCs can see through silent running, it's just the insane cobra speed that's saving you. They need to be within 1.5 km to scan and there ain't no way, baby. #gottagofast

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Cowcaster posted:

Everyone here knows exactly what you did

It'll be way better for you now :)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Cowcaster posted:

Oh my god hahahahahahaha.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cowcaster posted:

:stare:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

On a major positive note, it no longer defaults to the "Economical Route" every time you quit the game.

On the bright side, you probably haven't had to buy/scoop fuel much at all. Now you actually have to keep an eye on that fuel gauge a bit now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Any suggestions on what I can or quote should enquote be doing with 1.2 mil in cash, an Adder fitted for rares trading (don't even have any shields on this, what the hell?), and a Viper Mk4 of unknown fit? Not sure I feel like flying another goddamn Witchhaul circuit but buggered if I have any idea what I want to do right now

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Any suggestions on what I can or quote should enquote be doing with 1.2 mil in cash, an Adder fitted for rares trading (don't even have any shields on this, what the hell?), and a Viper Mk4 of unknown fit? Not sure I feel like flying another goddamn Witchhaul circuit but buggered if I have any idea what I want to do right now

Sell all that garbage, buy a diamondback scout, and shoot bad mans in the RES nearest you. When you get bored (which will take a while because the DBS is the best), take your winnings, fit a cobra for smuggling, and make mad money doing smuggling missions out of Robigo. Then buy an asp and do literally anything with it because it's the best Mary Sue ship. Smuggle, explore, be an attack helicopter and blow up surface bases, cover it with rails and do space murder, anything but Power Play

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The nice thing about the Cobra mk III is that anything you can't outshoot you can outrun.

It really is a great do-anything cheap general purpose ship. I don't keep one around though; the hull is so cheap I just buy and outfit one as required.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo guys, have you read Galnet recently? Apparently after the first unidentified ship just kind of showing up at Maia, we now have a genuine Farragut-Battlecruiser doing the same poo poo. No-one can identify it, the Federation is confused -and the unknown battlecruiser is apparently helping pirates and unaligned groups.

quote:

An official inquiry from the Congressional Oversight Committee has been launched after reports surfaced of a pirate-aligned Farragut Battle Cruiser striking out at Federation battle groups in the LHS 3447, Fuleum and HIP 16996 systems. The inquiry will also investigate unconfirmed reports of a rogue battle cruiser outside Federation space in the Maia system.

Speaking under condition of anonymity, a source within the closed-door hearing said: "The scans said it was a Farragut and the Navy said it was a Farragut, but it's not one of ours and it had no clear identification code."

You can go trying to find it in Maia and those other listed systems. Looks like the Thargoids are impersonating our ships!

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
How far out am I going to need to go, to be the first nerd to scan stuff? 100 jumps? 200?

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

frest posted:

How far out am I going to need to go, to be the first nerd to scan stuff? 100 jumps? 200?

I jumped less than ~75 jumps before I got my name on about 20 objects. Go south of the galactic disk (or north I guess!) and you'll find stuff 200-300Ly out of the bubble.

edit: that reminds me, does anyone know what happens to your claims when you wipe your save? will they wipe the "Discovered by" tag on objects or change the name to my new save name?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

frest posted:

A couple of dozen or so. It's more a case of picking a direction than a distance.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sundowner posted:

I jumped less than ~75 jumps before I got my name on about 20 objects. Go south of the galactic disk (or north I guess!) and you'll find stuff 200-300Ly out of the bubble.

edit: that reminds me, does anyone know what happens to your claims when you wipe your save? will they wipe the "Discovered by" tag on objects or change the name to my new save name?

Well, wiping your save doesn't change the fact your old character discovered those objects, so as long as Frontier won't contradict me directly, I would assume neither happens. The tag with your old name on it stays.

Edit:

If you stay away from well-worn paths you can start finding new stuff as early as 10 jumps out. (Assuming 30+ ly jump range, of course.) The direction doesn't matter, as long as you move out of the way of all those other explorers.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 16, 2016

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Libluini posted:

Well, wiping your save doesn't change the fact your old character discovered those objects, so as long as Frontier won't contradicting me directly, I would assume neither happens. The tag with your old name on it stays.

Hm, that's fine I suppose. I want to wipe my CMDR for the challenge of starting fresh now that I'm more experienced at the game but I forgot about my claims. I'm not big on exploration, I just think it's cool to have left even a tiny mark on the game like that.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sundowner posted:

Hm, that's fine I suppose. I want to wipe my CMDR for the challenge of starting fresh now that I'm more experienced at the game but I forgot about my claims. I'm not big on exploration, I just think it's cool to have left even a tiny mark on the game like that.

Come on, couldn't you wait until I fixed that glaring typo? :mad:

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Sundowner posted:

I got bored of tooling around in my Vulture so I bought an Asp and basically said "second star to the right," and started jumping out towards the Pleiades nebula.

I'm getting the vibe that anything remotely near a landmark is gonna be tagged

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

frest posted:

I got bored of tooling around in my Vulture so I bought an Asp and basically said "second star to the right," and started jumping out towards the Pleiades nebula.

Yeah the general rule of thumb is to not go towards popular spots and landmarks because everyone will follow a pretty common path that's why it's good to start by going above or below the galactic disk.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

frest posted:

Not really, sometimes people are incredibly lazy and it's enough to come from an oblique angle.

Case in point: I'm slowly working through a list of black holes near the bubble, but because I'm travelling from black hole to black hole on my randomly assembled list, I had completely pristine systems full of high metal planets just 1-2 jumps from the landmark I was closing in on.

The landmarks themselves are a different matter, of course. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Libluini posted:

Not really, sometimes people are incredibly lazy and it's enough to come from an oblique angle.

Case in point: I'm slowly working through a list of black holes near the bubble, but because I'm travelling from black hole to black hole on my randomly assembled list, I had completely pristine systems full of high metal planets just 1-2 jumps from the landmark I was closing in on.

that reminds me too, I kinda wish Pristine rings weren't universal instances. two pristine rings 500Ly apart are basically the same instance in terms of available ore. it would be so cool if you found a pristine ring and it was actually a unique entity... you could share it with everyone or go all Treasure of the Sierra Madre and hide it away for yourself.

i guess it does make sense because a pristine ring 1000Ly outside the bubble is pretty useless. it would be cool if pristine rings actually had little mining station outposts with them... maybe they'd only appear within a larger bubble around civilized space but it would allow finding a pristine ring out farther actually have value because gently caress trucking 200 tons of ore 25 jumps before you can sell it.

• Locked thread