Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
So in the last four days I learned that the only thing its tier or below that a Pennsylvania cannot instantly send from full health to "Killed them so hard that they died to death" is another Pennslyvania.

And it wasn't from a lack of trying either

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Both the Nagato Proto and Ersatz Yorck suffer from the critical flaw of Not Being a Pennsylvania.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

James Garfield posted:

Nah it's still garbage. The Kongo 1931 is fine with the same slow firing/high damage setup, but the Nagato Proto does less damage for its tier, is slower, and dies faster.
Compared to the Ise you sacrifice a lot of damage over time (Proto does ~10% less damage per minute, and is a tier higher) and your scout plane, and all you get for it is an extra knot and marginally better secondary guns. If the Ise had the same health it would be a much better tier 6 than the Nagato Proto (the BBV is better in every meaningful way, too).

The Nagato Proto might be OK if it had something like 720 damage per bullet, Ersatz Yorck range or noticeably better penetration. Maybe two of the three.

The Ise BBV is the Nagato Proto with torpedo bomber capability.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Konigsberg 1927 is pretty good for super kitkat mode.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I learned you can game the matchmaker by being in a 3 man platoon at higher tiers. Normally I almost never get to use my Yorktown because MM wants to match me with another Yorktown/Taiho which are almost never around. But in a platoon I often just get matched with enemy battleships. Though without other scouting and combined with stronger AA on the surface combatants I guess it's still kind of balanced.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Actually, thinking about it, I should amend my previous statement: The Konigs is good for Superkitkat IF and ONLY IF the Kitkat is an idiot who forgets he has guns.

Also, the Repulse is my spirit animal.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 15, 2016

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BMXXLApnCQ

That ram by the pubbie at ~9:40 is something I can see happening way too often already.

It also seems like they're changing how salvo firing torpedoes will work out now, unless there's a macro/option that non-Chinese speakers are unaware of.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There is nothing quite like some dumb sub surfacing next to your BB thinking you can't possibly hit him and then doing some 16 inch ASW.

Duo
Aug 4, 2002
Trying this boat game out since I really want to be a submarine. Just bought my first German one and looking forward to failing miserably.

Also applied to goons as nattybro!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Submarines are odd because sometimes you'll do incredibly amazing and sometimes the enemy will either all die before you can get in among them or you'll get turbofucked by all the ASW guys happening to go where you are.

But when they work it's wonderful. Just a neverending fountain of BB tears.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
You will know when you have "gotten good" at Submarines when you kill literally the entire enemy team with yours, preferably with multiple deck gun kills.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Submarines are odd because sometimes you'll do incredibly amazing and sometimes the enemy will either all die before you can get in among them or you'll get turbofucked by all the ASW guys happening to go where you are.

But when they work it's wonderful. Just a neverending fountain of BB tears.

I keep getting more the latter than the former. I still haven't figured out my choice in sub nation though. I'm getting the impression the german ones stealth better due to the smaller size compared to the jp? I know the jp subs are slow as hell but their end game is a sub that launches dive bombers.

Even when I'm trying specifically to round the map to catch the BB unaware, I still get spotted and mopped by the enemy ships before I get close to the BBs. Meanwhile, it never fails that my team's BBs walk right into the enemy sub torps with a happy gleeful grin on their face.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
US subs are balanced, much like their carriers. They benefit from retaining rear torpedo launchers through all the high tiers.

Japanese subs are big and fat, making it harder to avoid torpedoes. But they get high damage long range torpedoes and several get 8 frontal tubes. They also get scout planes which are handy on a sub.

German subs are small and nimble. Their torpedoes are shorter ranged but faster, making them good for killing other subs.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 17, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
The reason you might be getting spotted so easily may be due to sonar . sonar 'pings' every X seconds depending on the ship using it, and various ships have different sonar ranges. British destroyers, for example, have particularly good sonar.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Panfilo posted:

The reason you might be getting spotted so easily may be due to sonar . sonar 'pings' every X seconds depending on the ship using it, and various ships have different sonar ranges. British destroyers, for example, have particularly good sonar.

Yeah, I figured it was the sonar that was catching me. Other times, I'm getting caught just because I'm still figuring it out in some ways. Ie, I'll be running on the surface for speed to get near a fight and then spot a destroyer who has obviously been spotting me for awhile and bee lining to fix the problem. Meanwhile, our own destroyers had run off to kamikaze their ships at the start like the pubbie light tank drivers of WoT.

Edit: does the deep dive cut down on ping returns, or would you still be spotted? I've found that second depth nearly pointless because you move so slowly and take a huge penalty to your oxygen consumption. The only use I have had with it is to bounce down there to evade torps and then come back up some to knock out some of my own.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 17, 2016

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

JuffoWup posted:

Edit: does the deep dive cut down on ping returns, or would you still be spotted? I've found that second depth nearly pointless because you move so slowly and take a huge penalty to your oxygen consumption. The only use I have had with it is to bounce down there to evade torps and then come back up some to knock out some of my own.

https://youtu.be/Q9ePCtjIaFg

If you stop moving under the layer(deep dived) you become un-loving-possible to spot. So you need patience like a real submariner to stare the O2/Battery death counter down while destroyers pass overhead trying to guess where you are because they lost sight of you.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 17, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Today I challenged a Porter to war in all-chat and then killed him with the deck gun on my Cachalot for the final kill of a match.

War was won.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Tier 7 is starting to get busy but Tier 8 is still painful.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Groggy nard posted:

Tier 7 is starting to get busy but Tier 8 is still painful.

That's good because I currently have three tier 7 ships. But urghh.... Having to hoard 140,000ish exp takes forever when I'll be lucky to clear 800exp in a battle at tier 7.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Winning two KitKat matches will net you 5k free xp and it doesn't take that much to get 2k free xp on the daily kills ranking.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Best way to end tonight was killstealing the last sub after Night killed everything else(including the BB's that shot me down to 140 health) after going afk due to my roommates needing to borrow my printer(and my ability to use google to install drivers).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That sub was at 30 HP, my guns were 1 second from loaded, and the fucker was named 'Waffen SSS'. I had been saving that fucker all game while I killed an entire team in a Ning Hai.

GROGGGGYYYY! :argh:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sorry about running out on you guys mid-game. It turns out Comcast can sense when I'm in a competitive fight and choose then for an outage.

I suspect Dark Judge hax.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It's fine, I ran around the sub, killed their battleships, and finished off the sub that the incompetent pubbie DD couldn't kill.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We ran into an enemy team with 3 Laforeys for their entire DD squad.

Kommy and I beat 'em with a Benson and a Northampton. Northampton OP, nerf US 8 inchers please.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Tier 8 is showing signs of life.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I came across a foe today who has 500+ games in the Laforey alone. How can someone be that boring.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Night10194 posted:

I came across a foe today who has 500+ games in the Laforey alone. How can someone be that boring.

Autism :)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

He was also very bad at Laforeying, running off to an edge of the map and taking himself out of the fight before sailing straight ahead into 3 BBs and a Northampton. Without maneuvering.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Night10194 posted:

He was also very bad at Laforeying, running off to an edge of the map and taking himself out of the fight before sailing straight ahead into 3 BBs and a Northampton. Without maneuvering.

Could be a bot then. Who the heck knows, the world is full of odd people.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goons! Come! It is time for our botes to be fite!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

It's fleet battle time again! Bring your tier IVs!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

That sync-dropped T6 game with Goons was amazing. Although stopping into torpedoes was a bad idea.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Danann posted:

That sync-dropped T6 game with Goons was amazing. Although stopping into torpedoes was a bad idea.

Being shot by like 4 goon BBs in the Northampton and surviving only to get wasted by an M-Class in a gunfight was a highlight of my night.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Tonight was another wonderful night of Mumble enabled goon on goon murder, thanks to everyone who dropped in.

I will sleep well knowing that we made at least one Dark Judge player mad at us.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Applied as TythasV1

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Northampton will always have my heart but the Myoko is pretty great too. Had a great moment where a Repulse and I surprised one another at night while I was trying to reacquire his teammate and for once the torpedoes actually mattered!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Stuck losing over and over in my Yorktown because the only tier 7 carrier players are Sattnicom and ShootMeDead both of which have MVPed like every match they're in and are always platooned with a fleet mate so matchmaker is constantly pitting me against one of the two groups (or they fight each other and I'm left waiting in queue for 25 minutes). It is really frustrating. No matter how careful I am, no matter how much situational awareness I have these guys just zero in on me and sink me in 90 seconds. It is getting extremely frustrating.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

New update is officially announced.

British BB lineup.

Did someone just snip the history descriptions straight from wikipedia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goddamn this is gonna be awesome.

• Locked thread