Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Diplomacy is pretty much a hobby unto itself with some notable fans being JFK, Kissinger, and Walter Cronkite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

T-Bone posted:

Arkwright preorders are live, yo: http://www.capstone-games.com/?mc_cid=939f250e5b&mc_eid=dd6017636c

e: $65 shipped too, not bad at all.

Oh hey, can be picked up at GenCon...welp there's $65 gone.

EDIT:

Impermanent posted:

Talk to me about this Arkwright. My top three games of the moment are Food Chain Magnate, Kanban, and Caylus. However, I found Madeira and Zhanguo to be absolute snore-fests. What is Arkwright like, and it is closer to the first three games than the second two?

Way closer to the first three. Arkwright is super-strict, mean economy game. The best simile I could make is it's like Puerto Rico met a mean-economy game (read: 18XX genre, Food Chain Magnate) and meshed. The timing is really strict, the luck is very low, and the choices are brain-burning while being all too few to do. It's kind of impressive at how few actual turns to do things there are in this game. One of my favorite games.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 16, 2016

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
All this talk of what is proper play etiquette regarding kingmaking, brinksmanship, spirit of play, etc. reminds me how Archipelago takes the arguments this thread is having and makes that the goal of the game. As in, part of playing Archipelago is figuring out how you view its semi-cooperative nature. Kingmaking is strangely implausible in that game because the biggest impact a losing party can make is to just force this competitive game to end in an "everyone loses" condition with the main risk being "does this cause a possible traitor to win?" While certainly not everyone's cup of tea, the game takes table politics and flips it on its head. The game is one pile of awkward racism away from being impeccably amazing.

*Though strangely I find Archipelago's weakest mechanic being the tried-and-true worker-placement part of it. The actions you preform as result of placing workers action discs are all interesting and fun, but the worker-placement board feels so unneeded. This issue is way more a nitpick than an actual negative and doesn't diminish my love of the game, but I keep having a nagging feeling that Archipelago could have been made using a different mechanic for action-economy that would have been as neat as the other parts of the game are.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 16, 2016

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Poopy Palpy posted:

Scoville made me feel super dumb. I took one look at the crossbreeding matrix and knew I wouldn't be able to plan more than one turn ahead, and I ended up being so bad at reading it I couldn't predict what a single crossbreeding would give me.

The scoville breeding is actually pretty simple. If you think of it as mixing paints instead of breeding peppers, the following rules all make sense:

primary color + same primary color = 2X primary color
primary color + different primary color = secondary color made by mixing
secondary color + same secondary color = black
secondary color + different secondary color = white
white or black + other color = the other color
white + black = phantoms
anything other pair = brown

Well, except for the white + black = phantoms. That should make a gray pepper, but I guess that's not cool enough for board gamers.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
Apparently CMON has a bloodborne boardgame.

I went from excited upon seeing the cover art, to worried when I heard it was CMON.

But maybe it'll be good right?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

It'll be the tits.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
It's being designed by Eric Lang, and apparently won't have minis. I'm looking forward to other people trying it and reporting back.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Hey anyone try mixing original + expansion cards for Chaos in the Old World? I'm having trouble deciding what to use.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

unpronounceable posted:

It's being designed by Eric Lang, and apparently won't have minis. I'm looking forward to other people trying it and reporting back.

Any additional details?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Bloodborne was good, a Bloodborne board game is not going to be good, at least not in the ways that Bloodborne was, lol.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They're making a Munchkin TCG :lol:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

I can't wait for Munchkin: The deck building game next

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bottom Liner posted:

Are they? All I can find is this article about trading cards - you know, like baseball cards - and nothing about a game.

I did however find out that in 2013 there was a Pathfinder expansion for Munchkin which, well, lol

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

"Organized Play" in a Munchkin product, riiiight

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Anniversary posted:

Any additional details?
He made a couple tweets about it but that's all I've seen.
https://twitter.com/eric_lang

Edit:

quote:

Bloodborne: risk management with a bit of groupthink, inventory management/upgrades and tactical play in an intense 30 minute card game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://twitter.com/eric_lang/status/709938605540528128

:whitewater:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I unironically hope that one day I find my niche in life the way John Kovalic has, that dude is gonna be illustrating lovely games until the day he dies and never want for anything.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kai Tave posted:

I unironically hope that one day I find my niche in life the way John Kovalic has, that dude is gonna be illustrating lovely games until the day he dies and never want for anything.

Between him and the Sentinels of the Multiverse guy, you're probably already a step ahead on the talent part.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Co-designed by none other than Kevin Wilson. :downs:

I skimmed through Lang's twitter and it's disappointing how strongly he turned to working with CMANO.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Only managed a half a game of 1824 yesterday. Shame, cause I think I would have won in the long-term...

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The orb game that comes with Race for the Galaxy: Alien Artifacts is garbage, right? Should I even give it a try? I just got the expansion after playing it a lot vs the AI.

And has anyone tried Xeno Invasion? I decided not to get it because it's supposed to be for more experienced players and I'm usually just dragging my normie friends into playing.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

golden bubble posted:

The scoville breeding is actually pretty simple. If you think of it as mixing paints instead of breeding peppers, the following rules all make sense:

I don't understand mixing paints either, but at least the matrix in Fresco is smaller.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The orb game that comes with Race for the Galaxy: Alien Artifacts is garbage, right? Should I even give it a try? I just got the expansion after playing it a lot vs the AI.

And has anyone tried Xeno Invasion? I decided not to get it because it's supposed to be for more experienced players and I'm usually just dragging my normie friends into playing.

It's not bad, but it increases the game length significantly because it can't be played simultaneously.

Xeno is good. Like aa, you can play with the cards and not the new invasion scenario. Haven't played it too much yet though.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

short

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
COIN is much better than Chaos in the Old World.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Gallerist is much better than Lords of Waterdeep.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Codenames is better than Cards Against Humanity.

(Am I doing this right?)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Those two are actually comparable, you hosed up dog

Planes are much better than cars.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

T-Bone posted:

Those two are actually comparable, you hosed up dog

Planes are much better than cars.

There's an argument for comparing COIN and CitOW too, from what I know about COIN.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah they're both 4 player asymetrical non-traditional wargames with heavy political aspects

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Some Numbers posted:

There's an argument for comparing COIN and CitOW too, from what I know about COIN.

You can play Chaos in 60-90 min and it's very much medium weight. The shortest COIN is like, what, Cuba Libre at 3 hours? And it's definitely a lot heavier than CitOW.

COIN is better, but they're both good for what they are.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

games with politics are bad though ugh

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Banana Man posted:

Hey anyone try mixing original + expansion cards for Chaos in the Old World? I'm having trouble deciding what to use.

I didn't like expansion cards since they didn't feel like they worked well compared to originals. My last game used them as Slaanesh and i felt like they lacked focus or any way to meaningfully impact strategy as Slaanesh.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Totally: asymmetric sides, area control, different victory conditions/paths to victory, not just about combat. I think they are pretty comparable.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Went ahead and got the patchwork app for android in order to test the mechanics out before paying 30 bucks for a physical copy. This game is straight up crack y'all. Been getting demolished in online play so far but getting better.

Thanks!

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Speaking of online games, has anyone found something that can compare to the old isotropic dominion server?

I still miss it :(

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

As dumb as this is, I can't really fault SJ Games for doubling down on Munchkin. That poo poo sells. At least they're starting to structure things so that they can work on other poo poo more effectively too.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

oxsnard posted:

Speaking of online games, has anyone found something that can compare to the old isotropic dominion server?

I still miss it :(

You can play Dominion.net against a computer. Not the same as people of course, but the interface is lickity split fast:
http://dominion.technowall.net/

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
What's the consensus on Ora et Labora? This isn't one that that was considered rushed and Not Very Good, was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

What's the consensus on Ora et Labora? This isn't one that that was considered rushed and Not Very Good, was it?
I played it ages ago and it was one of the few games where I got very bored half way through the game. You know how in Agricola the game ends when you have just finished setting up your engine and you only really run it for a couple of turns before the game is over? This turns out to be a really good thing in actuality. Ora & Labora is interesting at the start but eventually you just end up running your engine and the game (at least to me) just ended up dragging. The only time I was this bored playing a Euro was when I was playing a Feld game.

Le Havre does 80% of what O&L does, but is much more interesting, cut-throat and ends in a decent amount of time.

EDIT: Just as an anecdote, at my regular board gaming meetup I see tons of people still play Agricola, Le Havre being brought out now and again and still decent interest for Caverna, but I haven't seen O&L in months if not years.