Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bloody posted:

hey speaking of logs

i've got an application that generates logs on remote machines that are occasionally not on networks. currently, it just logs to local logfiles. what i would like is that when they aren't on networks, they keep logging to files; when they are on networks, they send their logs to a server of some sort, including any logging that happened when they were offline

is this easy

should be OK if you filter on the server to check for duplicates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
When you dump a log, don't forget to flush

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Bloody posted:

hey speaking of logs

i've got an application that generates logs on remote machines that are occasionally not on networks. currently, it just logs to local logfiles. what i would like is that when they aren't on networks, they keep logging to files; when they are on networks, they send their logs to a server of some sort, including any logging that happened when they were offline

is this easy

This sounds like a perfect job for something like rsync.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 15, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i gotta say, this wpf poo poo is really slick right out of the box. just doing stuff with the completely standard pages and templates looks really nice. now i have whoever designed our new client even more. why the gently caress are we having a c# backend serve javascript when it's as plain as day that we're never actually going to let anyone access the software through a standard browser anyway.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wpf is good

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Bloody posted:

wpf is good

it really is, which is why of course microsoft has no interest in supporting it going forward

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wpf is ehh pretty good except 1. microsoft doesn't support it properly and 2. sometimes mvvm just doesn't solve your problem well; you need to reach in and do some poo poo to the UI and WPF makes that prohibitively difficult

xaml pretty much sucks and the navigation scheme where your views are referenced with a URL that corresponds to your project structure, instead of IDK the data type that represents your view, no bueno. that's node-tier poo poo

on that note, C#'s concept of namespaces is poo poo. the decision to automatically put classes in namespaces based on the folder they're in, but the ability to gently caress with the namespaces disregarding the folder structure and names, was a definite Bad Move.

sql is better than ORMs, but it's a miserable loving language to maintain. testing, versioning, etc. are all clown circus travesties.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

What's the hot new thing that Microsoft wants you to use instead of WPF now?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

metro

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
my experience with wpf was "hey this is cool" when it was doing everything i wanted it to and then a lot of cursing and loving around when it somehow didn't for reasons i could not comprehend with the puny atrophied ui-related parts of my server programmer brain

imo microsoft should just go back with what made them great and bring back the win32 c interface to the forefront

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ctps: have read a bunch of haskell words. so far this is fine

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
how would you ever debug a speedpath in generated code? seems like a great way to get into an awful pickle

don't get me wrong, stuff like bluespec spits out awesome RTL, but ive only seen that work when timing wasn't critical

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

isnt that also superseded by Universal Windows or are they the same thing idk

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
it's a universal truth that regardless of language, the aws-sdk blows tremendous amounts of dick

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Blinkz0rz posted:

it's a universal truth that regardless of language, the aws-sdk blows tremendous amounts of dick

that's pretty cool that your mom works for amazon

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

oh i kinda assumed that metro uis were made with wpf. that's silly.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

how would you ever debug a speedpath in generated code? seems like a great way to get into an awful pickle

don't get me wrong, stuff like bluespec spits out awesome RTL, but ive only seen that work when timing wasn't critical

i will tell you once i better understand what the heck im even looking at. looks like there's a good syntax for specifying state machines though which bodes well for managing timing stuff

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

hackbunny posted:

I can't use sql, orms have spoiled me. validation hooks and change notifications are the things I miss the most when I'm using bare SQL, and schema migration is a pain

i don't speak orm so maybe i'm wrong, but it sounds like you're talking about check constraints and triggers?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Vanadium posted:

oh i kinda assumed that metro uis were made with wpf. that's silly.

nah, you're thinking of something else. metro uis are made with the tears of people who like things that are attractive, consistent, and wouldn't be improved by a swift gasoline bath followed by application of fire

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Soricidus posted:

nah, you're thinking of something else. metro uis are made with the tears of people who like things that are attractive, consistent, and wouldn't be improved by a swift gasoline bath followed by application of fire

you are a weird nerd

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Bloody posted:

you are a weird nerd

thank you

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

fart simpson posted:

i recently saw a bit of the source code to one of our android apps and all the methods seemed to be side effecting calls that dont return a value and after years of doing haskell and elm i was shocked

also is this functional enough for you

code:
Intent viewMapIntent = new Intent()
                    .setAction(Intent.ACTION_VIEW)
                    .setData(Uri.parse("geo:0,0?")
                            .buildUpon()
                            .appendQueryParameter("q",
                                    PreferenceManager.getDefaultSharedPreferences(getActivity())
                                            .getString(getString(R.string.pref_location_key),
                                                    getString(R.string.pref_location_default)))
                            .build());
:getin:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

i will tell you once i better understand what the heck im even looking at. looks like there's a good syntax for specifying state machines though which bodes well for managing timing stuff
???

every so often i get to thinking we're similar then you bust out something like this. in your experience, speedpaths are on control signals not datapath??

i went looking for folks talking about haskell/verilog and found d** l**'s article about a toy project smoking OTS verilog simulation times which hits me like that "just use grep locally! it works on these 200MB datasets" one calling hadoop bad

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh idk i work in a vacuum nobody uses terminology around me what is a speedpath

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the longest combinatorial sequence that limits the clock rate. which signal won't get to the next pipe stage. ill admit i had a very small window into that side of things, but most of the ones I saw were on addr[21] out of a 48 bit bus, not a control signal

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh gotcha. yeah everything i do is very slow so its never ever been a concern

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So I'm thinking about starting a personal terrible programming blog, but I've never done web stuff before. I'm leaning towards hosting on github, since that seems easy and popular. Is that a good choice? And should I use a static site generator? If so, which one would this thread recommend?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
use tumblr

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

VikingofRock posted:

And should I use a static site generator? If so, which one would this thread recommend?

https://jaspervdj.be/hakyll/ of course
(i have zero experience with it and no idea if it is any good)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

MeruFM posted:

use tumblr

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

ctps: have read a bunch of haskell words. so far this is fine

have you made a monad yet

can you generate a hardware monad now?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

eschaton posted:

have you made a monad yet

can you generate a hardware monad now?

whatever thing he's using likely already has a monad instance defined

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i don't speak orm so maybe i'm wrong, but it sounds like you're talking about check constraints and triggers?

kinda, except outside of the database, written in a sensible programming language and actually debuggable

MeruFM posted:

use tumblr

thirding this. it's a good blogging platform, very easy to use. be prepared however to fight with a lot of bullshit that will never, ever get fixed, and awkwardly implemented social networking features (like you comment to a post by reblogging it, which is bad enough on its own, but then the UI mixes reblogs and likes and makes it impossible to find the comments, and comments to the comments are invisible altogether) that are inexplicably popular

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
That reminds me: whatever blogging platform you choose, disable comments

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

hackbunny posted:

kinda, except outside of the database, written in a sensible programming language and actually debuggable

yeah, this

it doesn't really matter whether your CRUD is in sql or EF, but for the love of god keep your business logic inside your code

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c haskell s: tried to write a fizzbuzz with guards; failed

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
ok, so with wpf, the basic way to dynamically populate lists, trees, etc is just to bind them to a collection, then have that collection throw off the right events when they change? that feels too god damned easy. like, can i seriously filter my list of items by a particular metadata by just clearing the collection my listview is bound to and then repopulating the collection using a query against my sqlite database on that metadata? this can't be real, it feels too sane. i have to be missing something.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bloody posted:

c haskell s: tried to write a fizzbuzz with guards; failed

Post it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

code:
hello :: (Integral a) => a -> String
hello x
	| mod x 15 == 0 = "fizzbuzz"
	| mod x 3 == 0 = "fizz"
	| mod x 5 == 0 = "buzz"
	| otherwise = show x
it seems that the issue arises from the last case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also the haskell tutorial got to the quicksort part and was like "look @ how good this is" and so i rewrote it in c# and was like drat c# is good

• Locked thread