Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I hate Java for the sheer verbosity of syntax, lack of multiple data inheritance (only multiple interface inheritance), rigidly checked exceptions (can't configure legacy much), etc.

Spring and AOP in general is a reaction to the problems that enterprise folks had dealing with so many teams writing spaghetti code across each other and trying not to go insane handling legacy Java (the days before auto-boxing, even). It's structured spaghetti code with @ and XML everywhere instead of more and more code that makes your eyes glaze over. But at least you can just hide away a lot of Java annotations in your IDE while folding over lines of code is not quite the same thing and won't get rid of bazillions of log statements that could be there from some other developer across the world (method injections to log when you login to a DB as required for some BS compliance, for example, written by a software compliance team).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

lack of multiple data inheritance (only multiple interface inheritance),

FWIW I can't say I've ever wanted multiple data inheritance, even in languages that supported it. In fact at this point I only rarely use data inheritance in favor of composition/interfaces

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I'm in kind of a weird position I think.

I've been doing software development for three years now. No prior background but I've led a few successful projects from zero to production now. I've officially been a software architect for a couple months (I was ready to leave but was offered a promotion and a big raise to stay). I'm making low six figures now (from what I can see not great for a software architect, but being a software architect after 3 years experience isn't really typical and it's high for a regular software engineering position).

Anyway, my organization has some issues outside technology that are starting to make my work stressful, so I'm thinking about getting into the job market again.

What I'm wavering about is, I have a pretty short work history for my position and my company is rather small (at our peak we'll have 3 developers working on something at a time). It seems like it's pretty unlikely that I'd be able to be "software architect" at a much bigger company. Does it look like I'm going backwards, career-wise, if I end up taking a "software engineer" or similar title? I feel like maybe I could reasonably try to be a "senior" or "principal" engineer or something like that, given my current status, but I have a hard time finding people with similar situations to me so I don't know how this looks to people on the outside.

My experience is mostly C# with MVC, WebApi, and angularjs if it matters.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 9, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

What I'm wavering about is, I have a pretty short work history for my position and my company is rather small (at our peak we'll have 3 developers working on something at a time). It seems like it's pretty unlikely that I'd be able to be "software architect" at a much bigger company. Does it look like I'm going backwards, career-wise, if I end up taking a "software engineer" or similar title? I feel like maybe I could reasonably try to be a "senior" or "principal" engineer or something like that, given my current status, but I have a hard time finding people with similar situations to me so I don't know how this looks to people on the outside.
Job titles are meaningless, especially in software. If you're not managing people it's all the same job.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

Job titles are meaningless, especially in software. If you're not managing people it's all the same job.

I mean, yes and no. There's clearly a relationship between title and pay and the last time I went job-hunting I found a lot of places wanted me to be on, say, their customer implementation team instead of their platform team.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Unless you want to something specific, just pick the job that makes more money.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

MeruFM posted:

Unless you want to something specific, just pick the job that makes more money.

I haven't got much picking to do yet; I just want to make sure I'm not hurting my future earning prospects with short-term gains, you know?

I guess what you guys are telling me is this isn't worth worrying about.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
your future earning prospects are based on how often you switch and how much you can increase your salary with each switch

if you really want more money, switch whenever you can get a 15+% increase and start looking for another job after 6 months at a new place.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

It's pretty clear from a resume when someone's "architect" or "principal" title means "smartest/best-liked of the two engineers in the company". It won't look like you're going backwards. It's possible that places you're applying to will worry that you think you're the greatest when you're not, but if you've got multiple successful projects I'd expect you won't have problems getting a callback.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

There's clearly a relationship between title and pay
No, that's really not clear at all outside the context of people at a single large company. My pay's gone monotonically up, but my title has zig-zagged all over the place and none of the pay bumps have coincided with title bumps.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

I'm in kind of a weird position I think.

I've been doing software development for three years now. No prior background but I've led a few successful projects from zero to production now. I've officially been a software architect for a couple months (I was ready to leave but was offered a promotion and a big raise to stay). I'm making low six figures now (from what I can see not great for a software architect, but being a software architect after 3 years experience isn't really typical and it's high for a regular software engineering position).

Anyway, my organization has some issues outside technology that are starting to make my work stressful, so I'm thinking about getting into the job market again.

My experience is mostly C# with MVC, WebApi, and angularjs if it matters.

Optimize your career for what you want, be that titles, money, or interesting projects. It's relatively easy to improve one of those at the expense of the other two. It sounds like up to this point you've been optimizing for titles.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Mniot posted:

It's pretty clear from a resume when someone's "architect" or "principal" title means "smartest/best-liked of the two engineers in the company". It won't look like you're going backwards. It's possible that places you're applying to will worry that you think you're the greatest when you're not, but if you've got multiple successful projects I'd expect you won't have problems getting a callback.

That's reassuring. Thanks.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Titles are worthless and have little to do with ability if anything fundamentally. I had an architect title 3 years out of school and my current title is solutions analyst, among the most useless of titles in the world with a support engineer title where I'm in charge of a team that's got a mix of architect and senior something in their titles. I'm about to look at a VP title job, but in finance circles that's "lol, peon" level due to mass title inflation in the industry vertical.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
Well, after this sequence of interviews with MS, I can sure say that Cracking the Coding Interview is 100% accurate as to the kind of questions you get asked. In fact, the first question I got asked was a verbatim of one of the questions in there. :wtc:

Not sure how linked list and matrix iteration questions demonstrate actual programming ability, but I certainly hate writing code on paper/on a whiteboard.

I'll probably get rejected (certainly didn't feel like I did particularly well, even if I "successfully" completed all the questions as in the code would do what was requested) but it's been educational. I just need to figure out how to practice basic data structure stuff in a way that isn't rote memorization that I'll forget as soon as I have to apply it.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Urit posted:

I just need to figure out how to practice basic data structure stuff in a way that isn't rote memorization that I'll forget as soon as I have to apply it.

Chances are you'll never have to apply it, and just having enough memory of it to be aware that it exists and that it's good at handling a specific type of problem will be sufficient.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
My favorite part of those questions is that in 90% of cases an array is faster than whatever twee data structure due to less overhead on the memory bus. Second favorite part is that in 99.99% of the remaining cases you'll be using an abstraction library for it anyway.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

leper khan posted:

My favorite part of those questions is that in 90% of cases an array is faster than whatever twee data structure due to less overhead on the memory bus. Second favorite part is that in 99.99% of the remaining cases you'll be using an abstraction library for it anyway.

Hell, I could have solved 2 questions with "use the System.Collections.Generic version" but hell no we can't have that.

Ithaqua posted:

Chances are you'll never have to apply it, and just having enough memory of it to be aware that it exists and that it's good at handling a specific type of problem will be sufficient.

When I say "apply it" I mean "use it in an interview." I was glad I did do implementation once, I had an implementation question that was "write a basic b+-tree structure + pseudocode for the insert/read operations" that I was damned glad that I actually knew since I wrote one for giggles. Basic algorithms mess with me too: I had a couple questions that boiled down to "in a matrix, find the values that are boolean true, and do a thing to the matrix" (first one was set row/col to 0 if natural value is 0, see page 48 CCI5e :v:, second was find the area of all connected "on" pixels in a grid of pixels). The one that hosed me up hard though was "delete a node in a circular singly linked list". It's not conceptually hard but I got too bogged down in list head deletion and basically duplicated my code, once to handle head and once to handle rest but doing the same thing, then ran out of time.

Urit fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 15, 2016

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
edit: nm

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 15, 2016

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
I found a really interesting position I want to pursue but the only option might be to do it as a contractor with no benefits. Are there any good resources online for estimating how much and how much of a hassle it is to do insurance and all that yourself? Adding up the typical costs of health insurance, vacation, and 401k matching it seems like you'd need to be making a solid $25,000 more as a contractor than salaried. However I don't know if that vastly underestimates it or not, or if your taxes become a nightmare too.

I'm at the stage where I'm entertaining salaried positions between 115-135k, but this position is contractor at 60-80/hr (124,800-166,400). Is this comparable at all?

Cryolite fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 15, 2016

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Cryolite posted:

I found a really interesting position I want to pursue but the only option might be to do it as a contractor with no benefits. Are there any good resources online for estimating how much and how much of a hassle it is to do insurance and all that yourself? Adding up the typical costs of health insurance, vacation, and 401k matching it seems like you'd need to be making a solid $25,000 more as a contractor than salaried. However I don't know if that vastly underestimates it or not, or if your taxes become a nightmare too.

I'm at the stage where I'm entertaining salaried positions between 115-135k, but this position is contractor at 60-80k ($124,800-$166,400). Is this comparable at all?

You also need to pay the extra 7% or whatever for Social Security and Medicare that self-employed people have to pay. Health insurance you can probably price out a plans on whatever your state uses for ACA exchanges or on health sherpa, or use your old job's Cobra for up to 18 months. Your W2 should have information on what your employer paid for their share of health benefits for the last year.

I'd say 25k is a good starting point for estimating the cost of benefits + payroll taxes. The statement my employer gave me for 2015 said they paid 17k for insurance and SS/Medicare, for example, and I'm on HDHP insurance with no spouse or kids. You'll probably also want to add in an extra premium for uncertainty against possibly not working full time, vacation, etc.

And yes your taxes will be a pain in the rear end. Remember you have to pay quarterly estimated taxes too directly to the IRS or they will ding you for an extra penalty.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Cryolite posted:

I'm at the stage where I'm entertaining salaried positions between 115-135k, but this position is contractor at 60-80k ($124,800-$166,400). Is this comparable at all?

How does 60k == 124k?

Based on the rates, the contractor position would be like making 45-60k salaried. Also don't forget the tax disadvantage to contracting vs salary.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I think when he said "this position is contractor at 60-80k ($124,800-$166,400)" he meant 60-80/hour.

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
Sorry, I meant per hour. That was a typo. I just edited my post. $60/hr * 2,080 hours a year = $124,800 for the year. That means working all those hours without any time off, so realistically I'd never get that much.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Urit posted:

Well, after this sequence of interviews with MS, I can sure say that Cracking the Coding Interview is 100% accurate as to the kind of questions you get asked. In fact, the first question I got asked was a verbatim of one of the questions in there. :wtc:

Not sure how linked list and matrix iteration questions demonstrate actual programming ability, but I certainly hate writing code on paper/on a whiteboard.

I'll probably get rejected (certainly didn't feel like I did particularly well, even if I "successfully" completed all the questions as in the code would do what was requested) but it's been educational. I just need to figure out how to practice basic data structure stuff in a way that isn't rote memorization that I'll forget as soon as I have to apply it.

Linked list questions are a pointer check. Can you keep track of pointers and use them effectively in an algorithm? Like 90% of linked list problems fall down if you know to use two pointers.
Similarly, graph/tree questions are a recursion check.
The rest are basically just variations on those themes.

You'll never use those specific data structures/algorithms in the real world but I feel like you can get a pretty good idea of someone's actual skill based on how they perform on those sorts of problems.

Just don't ask the stupid cycle in a linked list question. Please.

I'm super close to moving jobs for the first time in about five years. Just went to my screening interview (FB) and I think it went really well. He gave me some low level implementation questions because I mentioned that I've been working in C++ of late, so I got to determine the endianness of the architecture I'm running on and implement a circular buffer.

It was fun! I hope I didn't muse too much about the open office situation (at MS the open offices tend to be constrained to just a working group, at FB it looked like every floor was just one huge open area), but assuming he didn't see that as a red flag (he mentioned some benefits of open office as "you can tell if someone's often away from their desk or on a browser all the time", which I feel should be a red flag to me) I'm expecting the call for a full loop.

Here's hoping I can pick up a 30%+ raise off this move. I'd love to go work for a slightly less huge corporation, where a single engineer can still make a meaningful impact, but there are enough people for teams to have actual specializations.

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
What do you guys think of putting down that one is an Eagle Scout on a resume?

On the bottom of my resume, just above my github and tech blog links I have an "Additional Qualifications" section where I list some army award I got for modeling and simulation a few years ago plus a bullet point that says "Eagle Scout". I've gotten positive feedback on this before during interviews, but I showed someone my resume today for feedback and they said it comes across negative - that I lack social skills, that I'm stuck up, and that it's something too personal in an otherwise professional document, like saying "I like dogs" or something.

This is the first negative feedback I've gotten on having this on there. I can kind of understand it doesn't belong since it's something I did when I was 18 and I'm now almost 30. However, it's at the bottom and isn't using space that would be of better value for something else, and from personal experience seems to have been a positive.

Do you think this is a negative? I'm a little afraid I might not get callbacks or a significant fraction of people won't take me seriously with this on there because they might think it's not relevant on a resume for someone with 7 years of professional experience or they might think something along the lines of "oh how cute, an eagle scout! next."

return0
Apr 11, 2007
I was posting a while back about what kind of offer to expect moving from the UK to the US, as I'd been offered a job in Seattle. I got the offer, my current UK salary equates to around $65k, the offer is $140k base plus a pretty good signing bonus + shares :D

If anyone is thinking about moving from UK to US, probably do it.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Cryolite posted:

It's two words. Leave it.

Most people will ignore it. Of the remainder, more people will like it than hate it.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I got a resume for someone that noted their SAT verbal score from more than 30 years ago as perfect. Yeah, I have no idea how that's relevant anymore as much as "so, what is it.... you do?"

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Cryolite posted:

I would keep it -- it is a hell of an accomplishment.

In other news, I have finally made exit velocity. In a few short weeks I'll be sliding over to a different role managing technical operations for our event spaces and trade show rather than doing that job *and* being responsible for our whole public facing infrastructure, software architecture, development practices and a few other things. IT has been real fun but I'm glad I'm getting out -- just hitting a point of diminishing returns for me, especially at this organization. So to summarize you CAN do it.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

wwb posted:

I would keep it -- it is a hell of an accomplishment.

Depends. I thought the same thing until recently, when a friend's fiance' (who is very active in the girl scout community) explained that there are plenty of boy scout troupes out there that exist as eagle scout "mills" where the sole intent is to get members eagle scout title and nothing else.

Doesn't hurt to have it on a CV, of course.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
While I consider Eagle Scout an achievement, bragging about something you did as a teenager when you're 30 is still kinda weird.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Plorkyeran posted:

While I consider Eagle Scout an achievement, bragging about something you did as a teenager when you're 30 is still kinda weird.

Yeah it's kind of like having your SAT scores or high school GPA on there. I don't think anyone would ding you for it, but it's kind of weird.

Then if whoever is in charge of screening resumes is a "Wholesome Christian Family (Wo)Man," then I guess it could maybe help.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you need to cut something, that should be the first to go.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
My brother was an Eagle Scout, I wasn't impressed. My neighbor founded a Boy Scout troop in South America when he was 16 but didn't get Eagle Scout because he couldn't swim. So in solidarity I couldn't hire you.

Honestly an 800 verbal on the SAT of 30 years ago is drat impressive. But that's really just a fancy way of saying you were too stupid to get 800 on the math portion.

e: If you do that as a male I'm pretty sure it means you're gay. Or it did in the 80's/90's.

e2: Actually I'm told an 800 math SAT was also really gay back then. :woz:

sarehu fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 16, 2016

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.

Cryolite posted:

Sorry, I meant per hour. That was a typo. I just edited my post. $60/hr * 2,080 hours a year = $124,800 for the year. That means working all those hours without any time off, so realistically I'd never get that much.

A rule of thumb I've heard for contracting is to take your hourly rate and multiply it by 1000 and that's an estimate of how much to expect to keep after additional costs and expenses and not always having 40 billable hours a week.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

30 years ago was before they made the SAT easier in the early-mid 90s. Prior to then the SAT was a Mensa qualifier, so I assume that's sort of an indirect bragging about that.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I was offered $65 / hr 1099 or... $115k base with 15% bonuses :wtc: I'm not sure how the hell they screwed things up so badly internally that they're thinking that paying someone exactly the same rate annually as W-2 or 1099 made any sense. Even with my effective 50 hours / week billed the primary contract (I'm so done being a contractor for anyone unless I'm the one negotiating it now) was a flat $ / person rate with a maximum of 40 hours / week / person. I was also told that the overhead of W-2 employees for them was about 30%, so you'd think that the 1099 rate would have been at least $85 / hr, right? I have zero idea where that overhead went to but this is the cheapest company I've ever worked for including start-ups working out of literally condemned buildings for office space and HP that tried to cut my salary 15% for moving somewhere cheaper (this place is so cheap I took a company trip and the trip's costs were put on my taxes as an employee benefit so I arguably paid at least 20% of the costs out of my pocket in the form of extra taxes, I've never seen a company do that kind of sneaky penny pinching to its own employees besides truly scummy companies where the execs would probably go to jail or would be tied to organized crime).

asur
Dec 28, 2012

bartkusa posted:

It's two words. Leave it.

Most people will ignore it. Of the remainder, more people will like it than hate it.

I would remove it. The question shouldn't be will more people like it than hate it. It should be will this hurt or help me get an interview. I' skeptical that someone will see that and tilt from maybe to yes, also seems more likely to dislike and go from yes to no since competitive jobs are looking for reasons to trash resumes.

Can anyone recommend a book for brushing up on object oriented programming preferably in C++? An upcoming interview recommended to do so since I've programmed mostly in C since college. An online course or the like would work as well if people think it's a better way.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cryolite posted:

[...]
it doesn't belong since it's something I did when I was 18 and I'm now almost 30

Given the time difference, I would assume that mentioning this means that you're Mormon. Seeing an applicant like this at a bay area company, I would at least assume that you're okay with working alongside a diverse crowd at least where e.g. sexual orientation is concerned. But overall things like this would be ignored in favor of reviewing the code sample you sent.

To summarize, I don't think including it would necessarily negatively affect your callbacks, but the time gap is getting to be pretty ridiculous at that point, unless you think the hiring company would care about your experience circa 12 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

sarehu posted:

Honestly an 800 verbal on the SAT of 30 years ago is drat impressive. But that's really just a fancy way of saying you were too stupid to get 800 on the math portion.

e: If you do that as a male I'm pretty sure it means you're gay. Or it did in the 80's/90's.

e2: Actually I'm told an 800 math SAT was also really gay back then. :woz:

???