Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hah! An obvious falsehood Ripleys, given that ferrets aren't rodents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

Reading these strips now, it's pretty easy to see why Watterson turned into a media recluse.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Luann

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The Evans are actively trolling, aren't they.
Also it's funny how his infatuation grew from hey I'm single and so's Bernice and we're both super repulsive so we might as well

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Calaveron posted:

The Evans are actively trolling, aren't they.
Also it's funny how his infatuation grew from hey I'm single and so's Bernice and we're both super repulsive so we might as well

It's also funny how the popular and attractive Tiffany graduated highschool and moved onto university only to become attracted to.... the biggest loser in highschool. The Evans don't understand teenagers and they can't write them worth poo poo.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis
Uh is this a colorist thing or is he talking to his own rear end from another room

Cosima posted:

It's also funny how the popular and attractive Tiffany graduated highschool and moved onto university only to become attracted to.... the biggest loser in highschool. The Evans don't understand teenagers and they can't write them worth poo poo.
In the Gunther and her strips months back she seemed to imply she wasn't popular and didn't have male friends - that Gunther was like, the one dude talking to her. I try to not think about Luann too much since I like the characters the "writers" hate, but as far as I can tell she isn't shown to be popular at all. The strip just treats her like poo poo and they bully her because we're supposed to dislike her because they say so. It's hilarious how hosed up and repulsive it is if you actually care which I guess we shouldn't? That line from Gunther is loving vile.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Spiderdrake posted:

In the Gunther and her strips months back she seemed to imply she wasn't popular and didn't have male friends - that Gunther was like, the one dude talking to her. I try to not think about Luann too much since I like the characters the "writers" hate, but as far as I can tell she isn't shown to be popular at all. The strip just treats her like poo poo and they bully her because we're supposed to dislike her because they say so. It's hilarious how hosed up and repulsive it is if you actually care which I guess we shouldn't? That line from Gunther is loving vile.

It's clear that nobody except us likes Tiffany very much, but from the beginning I think her trope was always "superficial popular girl" despite how much the Evans used her as a punching bag for their own teenage insecurities. That's why its ok to poo poo on her relentlessly, because ~she deserves it~. This is the reason the Evans are such poor writers, they couldn't even contain their own judgements about their own character so that her "trope" still made sense at the end of the day (which it doesn't any more because it's very obvious she doesn't have any friends).

computer angel fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 15, 2016

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

The Sphinxster posted:

Hey, Tiff's socks make more sense today. Gunther is still insufferable.

I swear to God, if he utters the words "nice guy," I am going to find some way to reach into the strip and slap the living poo poo out of him.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Cosima posted:

It's clear that nobody except us likes Tiffany very much, but from the beginning I think her trope was always "superficial popular girl" despite how much the Evans used her as a punching bag for their own teenage insecurities. That's why its ok to poo poo on her relentlessly, because ~she deserves it~. This is the reason the Evans are such poor writers, they couldn't even contain their own judgements about their own character so that her "trope" still made sense at the end of the day (which it doesn't any more because it's very obvious she doesn't have any friends).

I can't believe I remember this, but years ago, Tiffany actively did serious Mean Girl stuff (videoing Luann in the girls' locker room, plagiarizing stuff, lying and being shown to be crazy jealous), so that's the source of the "Tiff is Bad" idea. But she hasn't been shown to do anything like that for a long time, and she has been shown to do some nice things for which she gets no credit. The Evanses seem to be expecting readers to not only have been reading this strip for decades, but to remember it.

Yup, that is poor writing.

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 15, 2016

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Sounds like Tiffany was having some problems at home, or some emotional issues and has fixed them through therapy or pills.
She's much calmer now, but no one gives her a chance.

Luann, why won't you give her a chance

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Darthemed posted:

Ripley's

Whoa.
Hey! Posh and Beckham are the same Spice Girl! I can understand not using Sporty of Scary but they could have at least named one Geri or Ginger or something.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set looks for the "any" key.

Working Daze is in love with itself.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix understands comics fans.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix understands comics fans.

Say what you will, but Stupid, Stupid Comics for Morons cuts through a lot of the self-important chaff plaguing large swaths of DC's releases these days.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (March 18, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (June 24-27, 1954)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

I don't always read the story strips, but I like to look at the art - drat, that's a fine Prince Valiant in panel 3. That's what a life of dashing adventure does to you.

He'd be cracking into middle age in strip chronology, wouldn't he?

Sort of. He and his wife get magically aged back every once in a while. It's how he and his kids look the same age.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

You were going to give that stinky old disease bag to the poor?

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
You're not a meddling old busybody, Mary, despite what everyone in town says!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Cyanide and Happiness is a webcomic but it gets to be here today because Stephan Pastis guest wrote this one.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

That is exactly the kind of joke I would expect from a Stephan Pastis guest-writtern C&H, goddamn.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I like how simple the pun is.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I like how completely broken the anatomy of that boner is.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
That was more terrible-offensive than that Fart Baby comic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail Randomly Gets Political
:downs: :what: :pwn:

Cosima posted:

It's also funny how the popular and attractive Tiffany graduated highschool and moved onto university only to become attracted to.... the biggest loser in highschool.
I don't think she is attracted to him. It's so badly written that it's hard to be sure, but I think they're just meant to be friends now, like Tiffany's taken over from Luann for some reason.

Spiderdrake posted:

In the Gunther and her strips months back she seemed to imply she wasn't popular and didn't have male friends - that Gunther was like, the one dude talking to her.
I remember one where Luann was implying that she was a slut and she basically just refuted that, but it's really inconsistent. Also, while she normally isn't shown having any friends (other than the goth), she has been shown hanging out with all of Luann's friends when Luann isn't around, she got a bunch of people to come to a party, and she seems to be friends with Piro now.

The thing about the characters in this comic is that the Evanses seem to only be able to keep them consistent when they're at the centre of the story. Whichever characters aren't currently in focus just play whatever role is convenient right now, regardless of their previously established characterisation.

TofuDiva posted:

The Evanses seem to be expecting readers to not only have been reading this strip for decades, but to remember it.
You see the same thing with newly introduced characters too though. We're expected to accept that characters are the way they're described rather than the way they behave.

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

You were going to give that stinky old disease bag to the poor?
I assume she was probably planning on washing it first.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Julet Esqu posted:

Cyanide and Happiness is a webcomic but it gets to be here today because Stephan Pastis guest wrote this one.

That's my fetish!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Pluggers perpetuate the cycle of abuse upon their children. :smith:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

"Feel the Bern, Mom!"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (January 16, 1929)

Peanuts (March 19, 1969)

And Now THIS poo poo Again

I really wish they made Mopey Pete and Darin dolls, because I desperately want to punch both of them in the face over that first panel.

Crankshaft

Li'l Rip Haywire takes up breaking and entering.

Out Our Way (December 10-11, 1928)

Thimble Theater (October 3, 1929)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (February 21, 1951)

Barnaby (July 29, 1942)

Nancy (April 7, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (December 19, 1928)

Gasoline Alley (January 17, 1923)

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is in love with itself.

Congratulations on cutting the "speaking in third person" quirk mid sentence because "He reminds Melvin of Melvin" is clunky.

Shame for thinking "speaking in third person" is an actual character trait to have.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Isnt the Humongous Fungus in Oregon?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You're just Digging a Deeper Hole Comix.

Pooch Café

This is the dog equivalent of a barrel with suspenders.

Ballard Street

Do you dig, Josh? You look like a digger.

Lost Side of Suburbia

This comic is a laugh riot, for certain definitions of laugh and riot.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

RandomFerret posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

This comic is a laugh riot, for certain definitions of laugh and riot.

She creepy.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

EasyEW posted:

And Now THIS poo poo Again

I really wish they made Mopey Pete and Darin dolls, because I desperately want to punch both of them in the face over that first panel.

Fun Fact: The Dreaded Deadline Doom came about after Stan stopped being editor-in-chief, largely because none of his replacements (they went through a lot until Jim Shooter came on) were interested in actually doing the job.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
I've been trying out imgur again as an image host. Is it still terrible? You be the judge.

Gil 07/19/15

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Oh, that's easy. Neddy spent the entire bankroll. Another mystery solved.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Those early editors tried to warn us, but no, we refused to listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Wahoo Terminal has a lot of interesting parallels to early Dilbert in that it's mostly superior to what would eventually follow, but you get periodic flashes of the horrors to come. Although, since Brooke is "redrawing" all of these strips, I suppose he could also just be adding in modern Brooke-isms.

• Locked thread