Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Anybody got any good Pate en Croute recipes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Idk, I've had like 5 boxes of the most fragrant, sweet and flavorful strawberries in ages. And they're cheap too!

I'm super jealous, I've been striking out so far. Final straw was the 2 pound boxes that Restaurant Depot was selling for $1.35, completely tasteless.

Chemmy posted:

If they're from California I thought that too much water made strawberries tasteless. With the heavy rains we've had all season so far maybe that makes sense.

Yeah, I've heard that before, that could be it.

Chemmy posted:

Are they? When I drive through Watsonville they all look like they're there outside.

I used to live near Ventura, and there were TONS of outdoor berries, and no green houses. They would do strawberries from like December to March, and then tear them all out and plant bell peppers.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I don't understand how the sugar covered glazed tart is less sticky than a blueberry enclosed in a velvet skin.

I too regularly eat 2 lbs of blueberries a day during berry season. In the first trimester of my pregnancy, I was eating 2 lbs of strawberries a day because it was the only thing I could stomach (that and canned soup...).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Knife and fork? Also I guess I mean stuff like apples, peaches, plums, and the larger hold-n-bite fruits.

My pie and tart love is so great, fruit just becomes an ingredient.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

Knife and fork? Also I guess I mean stuff like apples, peaches, plums, and the larger hold-n-bite fruits.

My pie and tart love is so great, fruit just becomes an ingredient.

You can use a knife and fork (or a spoon) for any of those. I just don't buy the sticky argument. :|

I'm not a huge pie fan though, and even when I make a tart, I never do a sugar glaze. They're just too sweet and heavy for me.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Also, one of my fav things is to chill a watermelon or a couple peaches or plums during a hot July and just sit on my porch and eat juicy fruit until all the juice covers my face and hands and shirt. Feels good, man.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Chemmy posted:

Are they? When I drive through Watsonville they all look like they're there outside.

There's always exceptions, but most of the serious scale commercial production is in greenhouses in places like camarillo. With a greenhouse it's just so much easier to produce good fruit, control for pests, manage inputs, etc.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

Anybody got any good Pate en Croute recipes?

Pâté was such a huge thing in the late 80s and 90s I remember. Basically it all seemed to revolve around various types of pre-cooked pork, cure or uncured, in a loose, spiced forcemeat stuffing. Bit of liver in there is probably good. Pity I don't really have any way to dispose of one once it's made since we're only three.

e: oh yeah I remember the pastry was always old school shortcrust pastry but I have a very definite suspicion that the British have this down pat with hot water pastry. Maybe the best pâté is, in fact, a pork pie..?

ee: oh and whole hardboiled eggs in there.

eee: I'm fasting before a medical and I'm fetishizing food right now.

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 15, 2016

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Getting a medical in China is amazing fun. Everyone should try it.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Gon go China breakfast so hard now.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Wiggles livejournal update. Got divorced, moved up to Reno. And today I got t boned in front of circus circus and my car got totalled. And during the CT they found a lump on my thyroid.

gently caress my life, etc.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That blows. Anything any of us can do?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That really sucks, Wiggles.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

How do I find a good personal injury attorney in Reno?

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Wiggles, I'm mostly just an admirer of your posts, so please just let me pass along my sympathies.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Wiggles livejournal update. Got divorced, moved up to Reno. And today I got t boned in front of circus circus and my car got totalled. And during the CT they found a lump on my thyroid.

Ah poo poo. Sorry, man.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

sorry to hear about the divorce. you've always painted a pretty interesting picture re: your personal life - if you ever want to vent or e-talk to an e-stranger, hit me up. I don't know if there's anything I could do to help, but always up for talking.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Wiggles, hope your poo poo is okay. Sorry to hear about your gland.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sorry your life has turned into a Warren Zevon song dude :smith:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Thanks, all. Felt sorry I vented like that - was probably just the morphine.

I don't think I like morphine very much.

To cap it all off though, my friend took me to the best late night place in town after I got checked out of the hospital and taxied up to my place, and the restaurant is under new ownership. Which is fine, because the food is still good, but they took congee off the menu. And if there was any time that I wanted congee...

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Hey at least you can cook your own sweetbreads?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Sorry to hear about the downturn, there Wiggles. We do a ton of thyroid biopsies here. Don't get too worked up over the lump.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Oh yeah? That's comforting.

Cause I was feeling like a very sore but still invincible young man until they said that

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sorry to hear about your woes, Wiggles. I hope you feel better soon and that the lump is just a goiter (which a very special episode of Home Improvement taught me it usually is when I was a kid).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Oh yeah? That's comforting.

Cause I was feeling like a very sore but still invincible young man until they said that

More often than not, thyroid troubles are very treatable compared to other parts of the body. I hope you get good news.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Maybe ask the lawgoons here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Every time I see a new doctor, they think I have a thyroid problem because my neck is thick. One by one, every doctor discovers that I'm just fat.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Wiggles, Laub and Laub did right by me about a decade ago. Maybe give them a look for personal injury law stuff.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
It could be that the thyroid stuff is easily treatable if caught early but you would not have known about it until much later had it not been for the accident. That might be more optimism than you are capable of right now though

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah. My stepdad had his prostate cancer discovered before he was symptomatic because of a hernia and his recovery was super easy.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I am also a sufferer of what is known medically as 'weird thyroid'. I got a nodules. It's just something to keep an eye on, it's very low on the list of things that will kill me. I'll probably die in a flamethrower incident before the thyroid gets me.

Oh, I was using a flamethrower all morning. It's like power washing, but a hundred times more dangerous and uncomfortable.

\/\/\/Spoken like someone who's never had to use a flamethrower to kill stinging nettle.\/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 17, 2016

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh, I was using a flamethrower all morning. It's like power washing, but a hundred times more dangerous and uncomfortable fun and impressive-looking.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Any tips for gastrique making? I've only made ones from fruit before and this time I'm starting from a liqueur... Was going to let it reduce, match with vinegar and sweeten to taste from there, is that a solid plan?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Hey Wiggles maybe it's lucky you got boned so they could find that lump! Maybe the old man upstairs done you a solid ~~in mysterious ways ~~~~~.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Any tips for gastrique making? I've only made ones from fruit before and this time I'm starting from a liqueur... Was going to let it reduce, match with vinegar and sweeten to taste from there, is that a solid plan?

Reduce your liqueur, then take a teaspoon of it and put in a bowl. Add vin a quarter tsp at a time until you get a balance you like. Note the final ratio. That way you don't gently caress up the ratio with the bulk of it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Ok, all lawyered up. Hopefully we'll get something.

Thanks, all, for letting me vent.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 17, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
We <3 you, wiggles, you sour old bastard.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat Wiggles, just catching up on all this. Hope everything works out for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
On the thyroid tip - even if it is cancer, that poo poo is curable like 95% of the time. No matter how the biopsy comes back, it's honestly not that big of a deal.

Good luck with the car wreck bullshit and sorry to hear about everything going all to hell all at once.