Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I don't know if I'd blame Bill Clinton for signing a veto proof bill coming out of a Republican controlled legislature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

It fuels us.

We need something to replace Boehner tears.

When all the tears are emptied, nothing will remain. Just an empty, cold feeling.

Numbness.

Nothing matters.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

DeusExMachinima posted:

People for whom Trump is too insane. Take that as you will.

I've always taken Cruz supporters to be the people that think Trump is in the right ballpark, but religion is their wedge issue.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

TheOneOutside posted:

I've always taken Cruz supporters to be the people that think Trump is in the right ballpark, but religion is their wedge issue.

Cruz loving despises abortion with the fury of one million incinerated fetuses.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DemeaninDemon posted:

Cruz loving despises abortion with the fury of one million incinerated fetuses.
Any idea how many abortions Trump's mistresses have had?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

Any idea how many abortions Trump's mistresses have had?

Probably enough to fuel the blood furnace assuming ol' small hands can function properly.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

go3 posted:

8 years of Hillary is going to only further entrench the lackeys in the DNC until they have their own Tea Party like event and then promptly hand over the Presidency to the GOP to match their nearly assailable, gerry-mandered to gently caress and back Congressional lead
Honestly, I'm coming to think that the main problem that whoever wins will have to deal with will not be the economy, or foreign politics, or anything, but a wave of Trump-inspired right-wing domestic terrorism. Lone wolves, mass shooters and all that. And I think that Hillary will do a better job cracking down on that than basically anyone else across the board right now - in part, paradoxically enough, because, as has been pointed out, she's not that averse to using physical force herself. I can't really imagine Bernie's solution to that - handwaving? Finger-pointing? Trying to shame the unshameable?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I don't know about you guys, but Hillary's talking point of "America has always been great!" makes me groan every time I hear it.

Like, yes, it's a good rebuttal to Trumps' "Make America Great Again" campaign slogan, but the reality is that America has more-or-less gone to poo poo since the 1990s and we desperately need a rehaul of virtually every important sector of America - higher education costs, healthcare costs, campaign finance, the Freedom Caucus holding the country hostage every time a budget deadline comes up... The list goes on.

America is in shambles and Hillary's slogan seems disconnected from the reality of the situation. She's already made it clear she only wants to make minor adjustments to the situation rather than any sort of grand overhaul that Obama at least imagined during his 2008 campaign.

Urgh, I don't know... Just venting, I guess. :(

E: It doesn't help when you have the BBC interviewing rally-goers saying how they prefer Hillary over Sanders because they think Sanders is too "equalist" and that life is not equal for everybody. Plus a hairdresser I had the pleasure of listening to today basically advocating for social Darwinist views on why people should have exorbitant college costs.

Americans are going to get the government they deserve.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 16, 2016

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I don't know about you guys, but Hillary's talking point of "America has always been great!" makes me groan every time I hear it.

Like, yes, it's a good rebuttal to Trumps' "Make America Great Again" campaign slogan, but the reality is that America has more-or-less gone to poo poo since the 1990s and we desperately need a rehaul of virtually every important sector of America - higher education costs, healthcare costs, campaign finance, the Freedom Caucus holding the country hostage every time a budget deadline comes up... The list goes on.

America is in shambles and Hillary's slogan seems disconnected from the reality of the situation. She's already made it clear she only wants to make minor adjustments to the situation rather than any sort of grand overhaul that Obama at least imagined during his 2008 campaign.

I really hope Hillary gets good at this, otherwise Trump is gonna steam roll her.

white sauce fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 16, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I really hope Hillary gets good at this, otherwise Trump is gonna steal roll her.

Still can't happen.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Don't you mean steel roll her by bringing back manufacturer jobs?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

Don't you mean steel roll her by bringing back manufacturer jobs?

hes gonna knead her into dough!

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

SedanChair posted:

Still can't happen.
I don't know how much comfort should realistically be had from the 2008 and 2012 electoral college maps, considering literally every last thing happening in this election so far is basically unprecedented in contemporary American politics.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I know how glacially slow politics can be, but it's been 8 years since 2008. I feel old as gently caress compared to then. And we're supposed to wait another 4-8 years before the possibility of a new, possibly more progressive candidate for president by then?

It's incredibly depressing to think that I'm going to be old and graying, possibly dead, before we even see the remote possibility of trying for universal healthcare again in America where other countries have long since established sane healthcare systems years ago.

Again, venting, but how can we be this spiteful and self-destructive as a country to advocate for this kind of social Darwinism (albeit anecdotally) to justify post-hoc why things are so lovely?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I know how glacially slow politics can be, but it's been 8 years since 2008. I feel old as gently caress compared to then. And we're supposed to wait another 4-8 years before the possibility of a new, possibly more progressive candidate for president by then?

It's incredibly depressing to think that I'm going to be old and graying, possibly dead, before we even see the remote possibility of trying for universal healthcare again in America where other countries have long since established sane healthcare systems years ago.

Again, venting, but how can we be this spiteful and self-destructive as a country to advocate for this kind of social Darwinism (albeit anecdotally) to justify post-hoc why things are so lovely?

Elect progressives to Congress. Primary Blue Dogs out of office. Give money to Tim Canova so he replaces DWS. Make them force Clinton to follow a more progressive route than she otherwise would.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Majorian posted:

Elect progressives to Congress. Primary Blue Dogs out of office. Give money to Tim Canova so he replaces DWS. Make them force Clinton to follow a more progressive route than she otherwise would.

Trust me, I'm trying. :( Been out doing canvassing work, doing what I can to nudge the barometer in my own way.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 16, 2016

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Trust me, I'm trying. :( Been out and doing canvassing work, doing what I can to nudge the barometer in my own way.

I mean this in all seriousness: you should move to Canada.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

President doesn't mean poo poo. It's not like, if Hillary is elected along with a massively Progressive Senate and House, she's just going to veto her own party and stonewall on left-wing causes. The problem is that we're not going to get that in Congress, because the only people who come out to vote in the midterms are bitter old racist shitheads. And it's pretty much the same, though to a slightly lesser extant, during Presidential election years too. Believe it or not a solid Democratic-majority House and Senate is possible to elect this year, if the demographics that support those causes turn out at anywhere near the rate as the ones that don't.

We like to bitch about old people, and sure they are awful at higher rates that most anyone else. But it doesn't help any when you got one faction of the (center-)left threatening to stay home on the election day, and another faction basically saying "that's fine with us". That's not how you build a coalition.

Frankly, with what's going on with the GOP right now, maybe the Democrats can stay right where they are platform and ideologically speaking, and there is room for a Social-Democratic party on the left.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 16, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Trust me, I'm trying. :( Been out and doing canvassing work, doing what I can to nudge the barometer in my own way.

Right on. You're fighting the good fight, and it will pay dividends. Don't give up.:)

Kilroy posted:

President doesn't mean poo poo. It's not like, if Hillary is elected along with a massively Progressive Senate and House, she's just going to veto her own party and stonewall on left-wing causes. The problem is that we're not going to get that in Congress, because the only people who come out to vote in the midterms are bitter old racist shitheads.

Well, but the good news is, sometimes Congressional elections also fall on a presidential election year. The current one, for example.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Kilroy posted:

President doesn't mean poo poo. It's not like, if Hillary is elected along with a massively Progressive Senate and House, she's just going to veto her own party and stonewall on left-wing causes. The problem is that we're not going to get that in Congress, because the only people who come out to vote in the midterms are bitter old racist shitheads.

Frankly, with what's going on with the GOP right now, maybe the Democrats can stay right where they are platform and ideologically speaking, and there is room for a Social-Democratic party on the left.

There's a decaying corpse of Scalia that disagrees.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Kilroy posted:

I don't know how much comfort should realistically be had from the 2008 and 2012 electoral college maps, considering literally every last thing happening in this election so far is basically unprecedented in contemporary American politics.

Just because the Republican Party's base has gone insane doesn't mean the entire country has. If anything the demographic model seems to be working as fine or even better than any polling models and the demographic model is looking very good for whoever has D after their name.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Kilroy posted:

It's true that the President is not the end-all be-all that a lot of people simplify it as, but it's also a pretty significant factor that affects down-ticket races. Look at what the DNC did to pressure state races in 2014 to distance themselves from Obama since they figured that was the prevailing strategy to win seats.

What happens with the presidency does impact other seats down the ballot.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

There's a decaying corpse of Scalia that disagrees.

True, but he does bring up a good point, which is that the presidency really can't be the engine for progressive change, at least at this juncture in history. We need to be the generation that gets the left organized and mobilized again in the U.S., and I'm firmly of the mindset that that needs to begin downticket. With enough loud progressive voices in Congress, even a center-right president like Hillary Clinton would hypothetically be, can be moved to the left.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It's true that the President is not the end-all be-all that a lot of people simplify it as, but it's also a pretty significant factor that affects down-ticket races. Look at what the DNC did to pressure state races in 2014 to distance themselves from Obama since they figured that was the prevailing strategy to win seats.

What happens with the presidency does impact other seats down the ballot.

True, but on the other hand, it's also just a flat-out terrible idea not to vote in those midterm elections just because a president doesn't inspire you, or did at one point but now doesn't any longer (and I'm not accusing you of doing this at all, to be clear - I'm just speaking of people who have done this). I really wish more young left-wing people had voted in 2010 and 2014. Even if they had voted 3rd party and the Dems had still lost control of both houses of Congress, that would have been a message to the DNC. As it stands, the current strategy of "protesting by not voting" only reinforces DWS' mindset towards attracting younger voters: don't bother. They're too irresponsible to get out the vote. I'm tired of her being "proved right," even if that's only true in her mind. We need to start teaching political leaders the RIGHT lesson, not just any lesson.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 16, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Majorian posted:

True, but he does bring up a good point, which is that the presidency really can't be the engine for progressive change, at least at this juncture in history. We need to be the generation that gets the left organized and mobilized again in the U.S., and I'm firmly of the mindset that that needs to begin downticket. With enough loud progressive voices in Congress, even a center-right president like Hillary Clinton would hypothetically be, can be moved to the left.

I agree. The national seats are pretty much locked-up through federal lobbying and inertia, the real change can only really and necessarily be made on the local and state level that are relatively ignored. Trickle-up pressure, so to speak.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Trust me, I'm trying. :( Been out doing canvassing work, doing what I can to nudge the barometer in my own way.

Dehumanize yourself and face to trump. If things get really bad, you can just use your dual citizenship and move to another country! You are a dual citizen, right?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Majorian posted:

Yeah pretty much spot on. Having the white house not be home to Cruz/Trump/Kasich is still priority #1.

My hopes that Sanders keeps bringing in young people to the cause. That's the key.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/the-huge-cultural-shift-thats-helping-trump-win-evangelicals-213729?o=1

This is a pretty good article, I think. It's put into words my thoughts about religion in america that I could never completely articulate. That your religion is more political than spiritual these days.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 16, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kilroy posted:

What's definitely going to happen is that Donald Trump is going to be the biggest news in the world every day for ten months. The dog that chases cars has finally caught one.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

E: It doesn't help when you have the BBC interviewing rally-goers saying how they prefer Hillary over Sanders because they think Sanders is too "equalist" and that life is not equal for everybody. Plus a hairdresser I had the pleasure of listening to today basically advocating for social Darwinist views on why people should have exorbitant college costs.

Americans are going to get the government they deserve.
People deserve a better government than they vote for.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

GreyjoyBastard posted:

So your argument is that protesting a rally of nontrivial size with nontrivial / remotely comparable numbers is suppression?

I suppose that's an interesting idea.

(Actually, your argument that public, geographically adjacent protest of speech might be illegitimate is even more interesting in some ways, and is a thing I very definitely very emphatically disagree with.)

Well, let's apply your thinking to Planned Parenthood clinics. Is it cool for some giant church group to intimidate the clients? Kick the doctors out? Pregnancy kit, get hit? Is that legitimate and righteous? (Hint: no)

Maoist Pussy fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 16, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

RuanGacho posted:

I want to believe you, but it's hard when you have people in lovely positions justifying their poo poo position in life due to social Darwinism they themselves believe in and profess to out loud in public.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

deadly_pudding posted:

There's this impression that people seem to have that the first amendment protects you from other private citizens.

The importance of free speech does not begin and end with the First Amendment, just as racial justice does not begin and end with the 14th.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Nelson Mandingo posted:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/the-huge-cultural-shift-thats-helping-trump-win-evangelicals-213729?o=1

This is a pretty good article, I think. It's put into words my thoughts about religion in america that I could never completely articulate. That your religion is more political than spiritual these days.
:ssh: they were never that religious to begin with

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

RuanGacho posted:

People deserve immortal lives free of scarcity, but they probably shouldn't expect it, and they definitely shouldn't take deliberate action to prevent it then complain when it doesn't happen.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Got a source for this?

It was already posted in the rightwing populism and the crazy forwards thread, if not already here. Here's a link, but it's behind a paywall: https://www.nationalreview.com/nrd/articles/432569/father-f-hrer

Key quote from the article:

quote:

If you spend time in hardscrabble, white upstate New York, or eastern Kentucky, or my own native West Texas, and you take an honest look at the welfare dependency, the drug and alcohol addiction, the family anarchy—which is to say, the whelping of human children with all the respect and wisdom of a stray dog—you will come to an awful realization. It wasn’t Beijing. It wasn’t even Washington, as bad as Washington can be. It wasn’t immigrants from Mexico, excessive and problematic as our current immigration levels are. It wasn’t any of that.

The truth about these dysfunctional, downscale communities is that they deserve to die. Economically, they are negative assets. Morally, they are indefensible. Forget all your cheap theatrical Bruce Springsteen crap. Forget your sanctimony about struggling Rust Belt factory towns and your conspiracy theories about the wily Orientals stealing our jobs. Forget your goddamned gypsum, and, if he has a problem with that, forget Ed Burke, too. The white American underclass is in thrall to a vicious, selfish culture whose main products are misery and used heroin needles. Donald Trump’s speeches make them feel good. So does OxyContin. What they need isn’t analgesics, literal or political. They need real opportunity, which means that they need real change, which means that they need U-Haul.

There's nothing better than seeing the rural white regressives get turned on by their own party. If we're lucky, they either end up pulling Dixiecrats 2.0 or no major party bothers to court them anymore. Either way ends their ability to ruin the country for the rest of us, and I can't think of a more fitting fate then for them to be ignored until they disappear as group by everyone with the means GTFOing to greener fields.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

rkajdi posted:

If we're lucky, they either end up pulling Dixiecrats 2.0 or no major party bothers to court them anymore.
You mean, like defecting to the Democratic party or something? Very unlikely and, at any rate, they can gently caress off. We're full.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Kilroy posted:

People deserve immortal lives free of scarcity, but they probably shouldn't expect it, and they definitely shouldn't take deliberate action to prevent it then complain when it doesn't happen.

Being immortal is terrible though, especially if a volcano throws you into space and you're just sort of floating out there with nothing to do forever.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Volcott posted:

Being immortal is terrible though, especially if a volcano throws you into space and you're just sort of floating out there with nothing to do forever.
If your body can survive a volcano ejecting you from Earth at escape velocity, then floating around in space is probably not such a big deal for you, either.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 16, 2016

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
And if not, then things don't get much more scarce than floating around in a vacuum, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
You guys shouldn't be so arrogant that Hillary will defeat Trump in a general election. He could easily win.

• Locked thread