Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Debating on switching from SciFi to Prime Time for a meal. Haven't been to either - since I will be by myself, I don't mind getting picked on with the servers. Any big awesome foods at either to sway me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
50's Prime Time is fried chicken, meat loaf, stew beef, etc. The sampler comes with all three and is awesome. They also have pork chops that are pretty great. Very classic American home meals, and all delicious. Also the pb&j milk shake.

Sci-Fi has the "Sci-Fi Burger" with pulled pork and it's probably the best burger I've had in any theme park. The rest of the menu is pretty standard.

So unless you really love a good burger I'd say 50's wins on food.

Atmosphere wise they're a toss up, the drive in movie thing is awesome but so is the staff and decor at 50s.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Aha! I was thinking the milkshake was at SciFi, and that's why I was going there. Thanks for the heads up.

Serious question: how do you all feel about the new proposed changes that are blowing up a lot of the big Disney sites? I'm talking about the preferred parking fee, resort fees, changes in staffing, cuts in characters. General public reaction on those and Facebook comments are gloom and doom, but I feel this is a different crowd here and I'm genuinely curious, especially since there are CMs and AP holders here, and you are there a great deal more than us who are thousands of miles away.

I used to go to Kings Island a bunch in college and when I was younger, and it's gotten increasingly expensive and has had some major changes since my last visit about 10-11 years ago. Probably I would not go back unless to take my son (when he's much older), but I don't really want to do thrill rides any more. Plus, I don't want to pay 60-80$ more for a fast pass, so I can ride as many rides as possible. That, in and of itself, is probably why I don't want to hit up Universal, or KI/CP back home.

My favorite thing was that I just really enjoyed the immersive experience of Disney, and enjoyed walking around and seeing/experiencing everything even better than trying to run around and hit all of the big name rides. Next month, I'm just planning on just taking in all the low key things and soaking up the atmosphere, and hitting up the last couple of rides I didn't get last time. Price increase things won't really affect me, but I'm not taking an entire family for 5-10 days either. I guess if you are trying to get "your money's worth" and zoom across everything, then you're going to be more upset about price increases. (And that it is a chunk of money, for most families)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, 50s has a full bar you can hang out at before your meal.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's far form doom and gloom, imho, it's Disney getting into the modern era.

I didn't grow up going to the parks, we couldn't afford it, so I don't have any real nostalgia for Epcot center or people walking around main street. From my point of view it's cute when they have those people out performing but what's the point. Kids are going to beehive straight to the characters or the rides. Adults too. Cause i'm guilty of it.

The thing that i question is how is Disney going to not pull a Nickelodeon and fall out of the public eye in a decade or two? I feel like a lot of the business and popularity is due to the elevator effect hitting it's prime now (80s, 90s kids growing up etc), but I don't know how the future looks.

I don't have kids, but between my nephew and the kids at work, they all hold "Netflix" in more reverence than "Disney". You don't turn on the Disney channel and tune out, they watch what they want when they want.

I think a read a article about Disney hoping and praying Zootopia becomes a huge hit because they needed marketable characters.

edit; The other side (the paranoid side) is if the resort fee's are nothing more than Disney wanting more people to be stuck in the Disney bubble and not able to go visit Universal etc.

2016 is a pretty big year for Universal between Hulk, Kong, Paradise Falls and that water place. What better way to ensure that your guests aren't going to Universal with their own car than to charge a resort fee, forcing them to just use Disney Magical express

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 13, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anya posted:

Aha! I was thinking the milkshake was at SciFi, and that's why I was going there. Thanks for the heads up.

Serious question: how do you all feel about the new proposed changes that are blowing up a lot of the big Disney sites? I'm talking about the preferred parking fee, resort fees, changes in staffing, cuts in characters. General public reaction on those and Facebook comments are gloom and doom, but I feel this is a different crowd here and I'm genuinely curious, especially since there are CMs and AP holders here, and you are there a great deal more than us who are thousands of miles away.

I think it's Disney doing what is necessary to update the parks and add all of the new content that will make the parks fresh, exciting, and lasting for an all new generation. Just think, after the HS revamp and AK expansions, EPCOT will be obviously getting a lot of love. By 2022-2024 all 4 parks will be incredible and filled with multiple days worth of entertainment, dining, and attractions. Just imagine when all 4 parks are as good and full of stuff to do as MK. That's where we're headed, and it's going to be great.

quote:

My favorite thing was that I just really enjoyed the immersive experience of Disney

That's what they do best, and they continue to innovate in new ways that keep them so far ahead of the game it's not even a race. For example, they're going to start using magic bands to personalize the experiences more, like It's a Small World now saying "Goodbye David" or meet and greet characters greeting kids by name (and blowing their minds I'm sure) because the magic band beamed the info ahead of time.

Abu Dave posted:

The thing that i question is how is Disney going to not pull a Nickelodeon and fall out of the public eye in a decade or two?

I think they're in a second great resurgence that started with Tangled and exploded with Frozen. Disney is bigger and more popular than it's ever been, and by all indications will continue that trend for the next decade or more. Not to mention, they're in control of the most popular entertainment brands in the world at this point (Marvel and Star Wars). I think the crunch everyone is freaking out about is mostly caused by Shanghai issues, but those will be resolved shortly and the profit train will be zooming along stronger than ever.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Surprised Disney just didn't give Universal buckets of money to buy the rights to Marvel in parks. You'd think any money given would be made back. maybe star wars land is a test bed for that

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
When did they buy Marvel? I know it's an east-west coast thing for use of them in theme parks, is there any Marvel stuff in the California parks?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Disney bought Marvel back in 2009, but Universal has the theme park rights on the East coast in perpetuity. They do have Marvel characters and stuff on the West coast, and they have the Avengers races and stuff, I'm sure they'll do attractions at some point.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Abu Dave posted:

It's far form doom and gloom, imho, it's Disney getting into the modern era.

I didn't grow up going to the parks, we couldn't afford it, so I don't have any real nostalgia for Epcot center or people walking around main street. From my point of view it's cute when they have those people out performing but what's the point. Kids are going to beehive straight to the characters or the rides. Adults too. Cause i'm guilty of it.

The thing that i question is how is Disney going to not pull a Nickelodeon and fall out of the public eye in a decade or two? I feel like a lot of the business and popularity is due to the elevator effect hitting it's prime now (80s, 90s kids growing up etc), but I don't know how the future looks.

I don't have kids, but between my nephew and the kids at work, they all hold "Netflix" in more reverence than "Disney". You don't turn on the Disney channel and tune out, they watch what they want when they want.

I think a read a article about Disney hoping and praying Zootopia becomes a huge hit because they needed marketable characters.

edit; The other side (the paranoid side) is if the resort fee's are nothing more than Disney wanting more people to be stuck in the Disney bubble and not able to go visit Universal etc.

2016 is a pretty big year for Universal between Hulk, Kong, Paradise Falls and that water place. What better way to ensure that your guests aren't going to Universal with their own car than to charge a resort fee, forcing them to just use Disney Magical express

Disney is more profitable than ever. As evidence by this thread, the parks are filled to capacity more often than not these days. They are on a roll with their animated movies and just released the highest grossing movie ever with Star Wars.

The fact that Netflix is getting more casual regular TV viewing than Disney Channel speaks more for people cord cutting these days than anything. And don't forget Marvel series are part of a good chunk of Netflix original programming and I'm sure Disney is getting their cut from that as well.

The explosion of universal's success and popularity honestly probably does more good for Disney than detriment. As more people travel to go to universal, a good chunk of them probably decide to hit up Disney grounds as well whether it be a park or dinner at Disney Springs.

And zootopia is going very well (and is really just a surprisingly good movie), but I disagree with the idea that they "need more marketable characters". As evidenced by the several massive expansions they are already working on, lack of marketable characters is not something they are concerned with.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I think Disney will never really fall out of favor like Nickelodeon did.

Kids don't watch tv these days, they watch netflix and youtube and what not. But movies are movies. And as long as Disney can put out princess movies, and marvel movies, and star wars movies, they will be fine.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

couldcareless posted:

Disney is more profitable than ever. As evidence by this thread, the parks are filled to capacity more often than not these days. They are on a roll with their animated movies and just released the highest grossing movie ever with Star Wars.

The fact that Netflix is getting more casual regular TV viewing than Disney Channel speaks more for people cord cutting these days than anything. And don't forget Marvel series are part of a good chunk of Netflix original programming and I'm sure Disney is getting their cut from that as well.

The explosion of universal's success and popularity honestly probably does more good for Disney than detriment. As more people travel to go to universal, a good chunk of them probably decide to hit up Disney grounds as well whether it be a park or dinner at Disney Springs.

And zootopia is going very well (and is really just a surprisingly good movie), but I disagree with the idea that they "need more marketable characters". As evidenced by the several massive expansions they are already working on, lack of marketable characters is not something they are concerned with.

Plus, the existing Disney stable is incredibly marketable. The classic characters from Mickey to Tinkerbell are on virtually every piece of merchandise possible. Disney merch runs the whole gamut of variety and lines at the stores are almost always long. If Disney was desperate for marketable characters, we'd be seeing stores like Mouse Gear filling with Zootopia instead of more Donald Duck.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought I heard it from somewhere, maybe Jim Hill don't remember. I think it was the same conversation where I heard Disney was struggling with trying to make Snow White marketable again

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Of all the characters out there, I think the core princesses are probably the easiest for them to sell. I see tons of kids in Snow White dresses.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

My two have their Elsa days but mostly it's Snow White and Cinderella.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno, I think when you have to go outsource Avatar, something you don't even own, to theme your whole land over instead of one of your own intellectual properties it doesn't speak too well :shrug:.

But when was Avatarland in the beggining stages? 2009?

e; I think the Zootopia thing was in regards to Animal Kingdom now that I think about it; they were hoping and praying the characters would catch on so they could theme a bunch of stuff at AK to it.

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 14, 2016

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
Also Disney is going full steam ahead in India and China. By the time they start lagging in the us (a big if) they'll be rolling in it in the two most populous countries and the us will be small potatoes.

Disney is even teaching children English in China to get the new generation jump started on nostalgia without their parent's help.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Abu Dave posted:

I dunno, I think when you have to go outsource Avatar, something you don't even own, to theme your whole land over instead of one of your own intellectual properties it doesn't speak too well :shrug:.

But when was Avatarland in the beggining stages? 2009?

e; I think the Zootopia thing was in regards to Animal Kingdom now that I think about it; they were hoping and praying the characters would catch on so they could theme a bunch of stuff at AK to it.

Disney was keen on getting the rights to Avatar either shortly after or even just before the theatrical release of the film. The issue is that they bought the rights and came right out and said "We got this thing!" without having any plans, so it took another several years before ground breaking because they had to actually plan the drat thing.

I am still of the mind that the thing will be cool as hell (it already looks cool) and will work independently of the film franchise.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
This was also back in the day when Disney was desperately trying to pull in a successful sci-fi franchise to grab that corner of the market. They didn't have star wars at the time and avatar looked like their best bet.
I think the avatar thing is less out of desperation, more "look how pretty this world looks, we could theme park this"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

couldcareless posted:

Of all the characters out there, I think the core princesses are probably the easiest for them to sell. I see tons of kids in Snow White dresses.

They're also creatively expanding the princess merchandise. Yesterday at Hollywood Studios my girlfriend homed in on a yellow skirt with a glittery red apple in one corner. It was a really simple, minimalist design that you can wear to school or work or on a date without screaming "I'm wearing Disney clothes".

I also found out that they created the Twenty Eight & Main clothing line as a more upscale line that lacks Disney logos (it just has the lion from the Cinderella Castle coat of arms), and they're selling it in clothing stores and the Tower of Terror store instead of just one Disney Springs location. It's basically just quality men's apparel (with the likelihood of branching out if it's a success) that looks nice and feels nice.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's also where they stick the dead attractions clothing, like the Mr. Toad and Adventurers Club stuff.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

New discount today! Good for most nights May 30 - Aug 25. It's a 30% room discount and if you add at least 2 ticket days everyone in your room gets a special Awaken Summer Magic Band. The band has BB8 and it makes little sounds and stuff throughout the parks when you scan it. It's pretty cool.

Just be aware that if you do update your package you may not save anything because ticket prices and dining prices just went up recently. If you've not booked yet, this could be a good deal for you, but less so for existing reservations.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 14, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Managed to snag a cancellation and got a cabin at Fort Wilderness for the July 4th weekend!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MK is insane today. Line just to get through bag check was backed up to the docks. We had a fast pass for Pirates and the ride is down right now which is having a ripple effect on the lines for everything else

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yup, AK is pretty nuts too. Probably heading to EPCOT this afternoon, doesn't look too bad.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We left MK a little before 2PM after seeing Country Bears and having a dole whip. My wife and 4 year old son were going to share but he was having none of it. He finished the whole thing and made me promise another one tonight.

We're going to try MK again tonight. It was too drat hot and crowded earlier today.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Where in Epcot can you get the dole whip with rum?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's in animal kingdom around harambe

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Anya posted:

Where in Epcot can you get the dole whip with rum?

Pineapple Promenade has it. They don't call it dole whip though. It's pineapple soft serve with rum on the menu

Anya
Nov 3, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

It's in animal kingdom around harambe

Didn't realize that you could get it there as well, thanks for the heads up. Will look up promenade too!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

skipdogg posted:

MK is insane today. Line just to get through bag check was backed up to the docks. We had a fast pass for Pirates and the ride is down right now which is having a ripple effect on the lines for everything else

Mansion was also down for a healthy chunk of the day, because of some weird technical stuff. It's good to be in Adventureland/Liberty Square

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

They're also creatively expanding the princess merchandise. Yesterday at Hollywood Studios my girlfriend homed in on a yellow skirt with a glittery red apple in one corner. It was a really simple, minimalist design that you can wear to school or work or on a date without screaming "I'm wearing Disney clothes".

I also found out that they created the Twenty Eight & Main clothing line as a more upscale line that lacks Disney logos (it just has the lion from the Cinderella Castle coat of arms), and they're selling it in clothing stores and the Tower of Terror store instead of just one Disney Springs location. It's basically just quality men's apparel (with the likelihood of branching out if it's a success) that looks nice and feels nice.

They sell the Dude's cardigan here?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Mansion was also down for a healthy chunk of the day, because of some weird technical stuff. It's good to be in Adventureland/Liberty Square

I wondered!

At the DRC they have live feeds from the parks in a sad attempt to make us feel like we're in the parks. One of them is the load belt from mansion.

The summer offer magic band looks pretty cool.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Marvel's Haunted Mansion #1 came out last Friday if anybody is into that kind of stuff. It's super awesome and basically all of the art is perfect. (It even has the stretching room)

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
So Ive been looking into going to this conference

http://www.disneydataconference.com/home.html

Because I am about to get my PhD in biostatistics and hella want to work for Disney. And I figure it would be a great way to network, learn cool stuff, and go to WDW.

But it looks like the conference is $3,000!!!!!!! which... no. But they do have hella discounted hotel rates. ~$200 for Contemp or Poly

:shepspends:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone read the journey into imagination comics

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

Anyone read the journey into imagination comics

Read those, and Big Thunder Mountain. They go in a super weird direction because really it's about the character (Figment) vs telling a story using the attraction, so it gets interesting, but a lot of people love the comics because they have the Dreamfinder. But Spaceship Earth and his pavilion are in it. Big Thunder is decent but sort of standard western stuff. This is the first of the four (two are Figment) so far that has me excited for more.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

They sell the Dude's cardigan here?

What the f...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

poo poo, I gotta buy that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
Please spare a thought for the last remaining installation of Star Tours, which will host the last ever trip to Endor later today. RIP, Rex.