Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Poseidon's Wake is the third of a trilogy, but in that trilogy in particular the books are very standalone so it's a little bit of column A, a little bit of column B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah, that series literally opens with the first book's protagonist watching a rail-based launch system bolted onto the side of Mount Killimanjaro test fire while he checks on his pet elephants in the Kenyan savannah, so Afro-futurism is definitely a theme in the series.

Weird place to start with Reynolds all round, really. Chasm City is a good solid first Reynolds book, and also one of his best. Or House of Suns is I think the other traditional recommendation ITT.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Antti posted:

Poseidon's Wake is the third of a trilogy, but in that trilogy in particular the books are very standalone so it's a little bit of column A, a little bit of column B.

I would still highly recommend reading them in order. Even though they're a lot more stand alone than his other trilogy, the plot and universe are still highly connected.

Book 1 is Blue Remembered Earth and book 2 is On the Steel Breeze.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For those of you who have Kindles, the Kindle deal of the day includes a number of Arthur C. Clarke stories.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Deptfordx posted:

If you're interested in that sort of thing, all the Starfire books just came out on Audible.

I am indeed, thanks for the head's up!

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

NmareBfly posted:

Speaking of Cibola, I'm listening to the Expanse audiobooks and it looks like the change narrators for 4 -- anyone know if the new guy is as terrible as some of the reviews make him out to be? Might have lucked out with the first three because the narrator there just nails a lot of the line delivery (especially for Avasarala in 2.)

Trying to decide if I should just, you know, read the book instead of listening.

The narrator used for that book is just awful. The narrator sounded like a student reading a passage from a text book out loud in class, with that odd sort of pacing where they are figuring out the word they are saying half way through saying it.

Listen to the sample though, maybe it won't bother you though.

I had to return the audio and just read it.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Cythereal posted:

I've started on Poseidon's Wake by Alistair Reynolds now. I've only read one book of his before, Pushing Ice, and that was a long time ago though I remember enjoying it. I'm not sure whether this is an established setting or not - sure feels like it, but as with Dark Intelligence it might also be dropping the reader in in situ. I was not expecting African culture to be a big thing in the book, or that one of the two protagonists is a happily married lesbian (bonus points for the book not making a big deal out of her homosexuality at all), and I'm interested to see where things go with her. The chapters back in Sol are much less interesting, though I'm curious how they could end up tying in to the other protagonist.

Why are you starting at book #3?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Just read Aurora by KSR, while not really a space opera I thought it did a good job of turning the idea of our inevitable successful expansion to the stars on its head. Overall the book was a little depressing, and while I wasn't the biggest fan of the characterization and some of the events involved seemed forced, I appreciated the subject matter which really seemed to go against his previous works.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

gohmak posted:

Why are you starting at book #3?

Book #1 and #2 aren't available at the library right now? I've read a couple series of standalone novels out of order because I wanted to dig in without waiting for the books to become available in chronological order.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Antti posted:

Book #1 and #2 aren't available at the library right now? I've read a couple series of standalone novels out of order because I wanted to dig in without waiting for the books to become available in chronological order.

They're definitely connected and I wouldn't call them real "stand alone" novels. It's a trilogy, just not really direct sequels to one another if that makes sense.

That said, it's not going to ruin the series reading them backwards and since you're already started it you might as well go with it. You'll definitely have some cool moments reading the previous ones when certain things click and make sense.

A friend of mine actually picked up Echopraxia by Peter Watts and read it having no idea Blindsight existed. He enjoyed it but when he was done he had a ton of questions for me. why the hell are there vampires in space?
Then he read Blindsight and loved it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Antti posted:

This, also the book doesn't say it's part of a series. Same thing for Dark Intelligence. Saw an interesting looking book in the library, book doesn't say anything about being part of a series or established universe, I check it out and give it a read.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Jack2142 posted:

Just read Aurora by KSR, while not really a space opera I thought it did a good job of turning the idea of our inevitable successful expansion to the stars on its head. Overall the book was a little depressing, and while I wasn't the biggest fan of the characterization and some of the events involved seemed forced, I appreciated the subject matter which really seemed to go against his previous works.

Aurora is great. But KSR has believed since the 80s that interstellar expansion is unlikely/doomed - It comes up in Icehenge (1984), Jackie Boone's somber, defeated story exit in Blue Mars, and the mini-chapter about (and eventual fate of) the interstellar ships being made out of Nix in 2312. He does think that expansion throughout the solar system is interesting and worthwhile, and probably possible (hence all the books about it) - but he also feels pretty strongly that interstellar travel is a completely different kind of enterprise. I think he makes a pretty good case.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Aurora is great. But KSR has believed since the 80s that interstellar expansion is unlikely/doomed - It comes up in Icehenge (1984), Jackie Boone's somber, defeated story exit in Blue Mars, and the mini-chapter about (and eventual fate of) the interstellar ships being made out of Nix in 2312. He does think that expansion throughout the solar system is interesting and worthwhile, and probably possible (hence all the books about it) - but he also feels pretty strongly that interstellar travel is a completely different kind of enterprise. I think he makes a pretty good case.

I agree with you completely on KSR's views. It also seems as if there's a larger portion of current 'hard-ish' Sci-Fi that concentrates on more "local" expansion. You have your hard-ish that treats C as a hard limit (Reynold's Rev Space, and then also more recent stuff that focuses almost entirely around the local system (Expanse, though that pushes 'hard-ish', and also McAuley's The Quiet War). Barring an amazing breakthrough, it's looking more and more that C is a hard limit, and with resource scarcity and Global Warming being more and more on people's minds, it seems to me that there's a growing trend of fatalism when it comes to actual Interplanetary SF.

That's not to say there's not GREAT Space Opera and galaxy-spanning stuff still being written, but maybe it's just me that I've seen a growing trend of more pessimism when it comes to reaching outside the Solar System in the last 15-20 years by some of SF's brightest stars.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kim Stanley Robinson actually just recently did a long interview on the Planetary Society podcast about Aurora, and talks a bit about why he doesn't think he's gotten more pessimistic:

http://www.planetary.org/multimedia/planetary-radio/show/2016/0229-kim-stanley-robinson-aurora.html

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

thetechnoloser posted:

That's not to say there's not GREAT Space Opera and galaxy-spanning stuff still being written, but maybe it's just me that I've seen a growing trend of more pessimism when it comes to reaching outside the Solar System in the last 15-20 years by some of SF's brightest stars.

And who are those brightest stars? Because I don't remember that pessimism at all. Compared with the cynical SF I remember from the 90s, today's SF is basically sunshine and lollypops.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

When I think of 90's space opera I think of Gap Cycle, haven't even read it since reviews made it sound so disgusting, but I guess early Alastair Reynolds was pretty bleak? His new series is fairly positive but there aren't many FTL novels these days that's true

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

mallamp posted:

When I think of 90's space opera I think of Gap Cycle, haven't even read it since reviews made it sound so disgusting, but I guess early Alastair Reynolds was pretty bleak? His new series is fairly positive but there aren't many FTL novels these days that's true

Could be confirmation bias, of course. For example, I still vividly remember reading The Invincible by Stanislav Lem and thinking: "Man, that's bleak."

Edit:

I know The Invincible isn't a book from the 90s, but back then I blindly believed the edition a book was printed in was the only edition in existence. So if a book was printed in 1990, I just assumed the author wrote it around that time, too. It took me until the end of the 90s before I noticed books could come out in more editions than the one I had in my hand. Or before I noticed all those foreign authors were translated and not just really good in writing German. :shepface:

From actual 90s stuff I remember the Gap Cycle by Donaldson and lots of Cyberpunk. And I read a lot of Perry Rhodan back then, which now that I think about wasn't ever really negative. gently caress.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 15, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
you want loving bleak read The Road by Cormac Mccarthy

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Baloogan posted:

you want loving bleak read The Road by Cormac Mccarthy
Road is bleak in a very touching way though, at least as a father (I guess as a son too, or a child I guess, to not be sexist)
Lots of sci-fi (and these days fantasy too, they have whole genre of grimdark) seems to be bleak for sake of it with overly descriptive random ultraviolence

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

mallamp posted:

I've just read the Revelation Universe books from A.R., and I find they are not bleak "per se". For instance, The Prefect is a brilliant mistery/detective story, while Chasm City is kind a hardboiled noir story. The "main" arc depicts an aparently unwinable conflict, and some parts of the books (specially the first one) are close to Gothic narrative (the description of "Nostalgia for the Infinity" at the beginning of Revelation Universe immediately comes to mind).

Actually, the R.U. series is about mankind being able to overcome the greatest difficulties, and soldiering on against all the odds . Of course, the last novel (Absolution Gap) is so bad and the ending is so lame that it can ruin the whole experience for the reader.

I mean, come on... agricultural machines gone awry defeat mankind? Meh!

E:

mallamp posted:

Road is bleak in a very touching way though, at least as a father (I guess as a son too, or a child I guess, to not be sexist)
Lots of sci-fi (and these days fantasy too, they have whole genre of grimdark) seems to be bleak for sake of it with overly descriptive random ultraviolence

How does the book compare to the movie? (or vice-versa). I've seen the movie recently and it didn't impress me much. Perhaps because I dislike a lot Viggo Mortensen (I still think Sean Bean woud have been a much better Aragorn, but he HAD to die, of course).

Amberskin fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 15, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Amberskin posted:

I've just read the Revelation Universe books from A.R., and I find they are not bleak "per se". For instance, The Prefect is a brilliant mistery/detective story, while Chasm City is kind a hardboiled noir story. The "main" arc depicts an aparently unwinable conflict, and some parts of the books (specially the first one) are close to Gothic narrative (the description of "Nostalgia for the Infinity" at the beginning of Revelation Universe immediately comes to mind).

Actually, the R.U. series is about mankind being able to overcome the greatest difficulties, and soldiering on against all the odds . Of course, the last novel (Absolution Gap) is so bad and the ending is so lame that it can ruin the whole experience for the reader.

Yeah, that ending destroyed the entire universe for me. It's like the author had a funny joke to tell and just wrote it in because it made him laugh, it's that bad!

Now his books are a good example of why a bad ending can destroy everything you build up beforehand. That ending didn't work on so many levels I could basically spend two pages just ranting about it. (I'll spare you, though.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For a dark, heavy space opera story, my pick for a good one is Greg Bear's Anvil of Stars. The mood whiplash of reading that after the previous book The Forge of God is incredible.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Yeah, it's a pretty impressive pivot.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Cythereal posted:

For a dark, heavy space opera story, my pick for a good one is Greg Bear's Anvil of Stars. The mood whiplash of reading that after the previous book The Forge of God is incredible.

The Forge of God is that story where Earth is destroyed by a black hole dropped inside it by a malevolent alien race? Is Anvil of Stars even darker than that?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Amberskin posted:

The Forge of God is that story where Earth is destroyed by a black hole dropped inside it by a malevolent alien race? Is Anvil of Stars even darker than that?

Yep. Anvil of Stars is about a crew of fifty or sixty people, only about twelve years old at the start, who launch into the stars on a mission of genocide against the mysterious alien race that murdered Earth in a ship built for them by another enigmatic race that they fundamentally know nothing about. It's an incredibly hosed up society, and that's even before they start encountering aliens.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Amberskin posted:

Obviously the author was a huge fan of 1998's hit real-time strategy game for PC and Playstation, KKND 2 and the Series 9 faction.

It's a post-apocalyptic setting and Series 9 are just farm-bots that are mad about the apocalypse and the warring between the survivors loving up their crops and decide to kill everyone so they can farm in peace.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Cythereal posted:

Yep. Anvil of Stars is about a crew of fifty or sixty people, only about twelve years old at the start, who launch into the stars on a mission of genocide against the mysterious alien race that murdered Earth in a ship built for them by another enigmatic race that they fundamentally know nothing about. It's an incredibly hosed up society, and that's even before they start encountering aliens.

Those books are both super good, bear is probably one of my favorite authors.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Reading all the titles in this thread makes me want to write about Supernaut Captain Rocket of the Federal States of Space and his rival Cosmoman Boris Redinski of the Meritocratic Solar Soviet Republics, and how they're seduced by the multi-genitaled Spider Queen of Venus.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

MrSlam posted:

Reading all the titles in this thread makes me want to write about Supernaut Captain Rocket of the Federal States of Space and his rival Cosmoman Boris Redinski of the Meritocratic Solar Soviet Republics, and how they're seduced by the multi-genitaled Spider Queen of Venus.

The 80's beat you to this. Usually with any combination of 2 out of the 3 elements.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MrSlam posted:

The Sky People actually is about Americans vs. Soviets on Venus, complete with romance between the all-American astronaut and the beautiful Venusian cave-girl.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I'm on the last book of the Star Force series and this poo poo is dire. At this point I'm just taking a perverse pride in the fact that this poo poo is not gonna beat me, I am gonna bull through. :smithicide:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

WarLocke posted:

I'm on the last book of the Star Force series and this poo poo is dire. At this point I'm just taking a perverse pride in the fact that this poo poo is not gonna beat me, I am gonna bull through. :smithicide:

You're either a stronger or dumber man than me. Maybe both. I bailed during the first book and never looked back.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Oh man that made me check to see if there's a new Ian Douglas STAR CARRIER book and there is.

That series is :patriot: as gently caress. Can the STAR CARRIER America survive the EEEEEVIL Europeans?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Hughlander posted:

Oh man that made me check to see if there's a new Ian Douglas STAR CARRIER book and there is.

That series is :patriot: as gently caress. Can the STAR CARRIER America survive the EEEEEVIL Europeans?

:stare: Why do I have to like this kind of milSF?

More entries on the list of stuff to read...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
After reading the John Ringo thread in TFR, I've started writing a pinko liberal milSF novel as a sort of self-administered unicorn chaser. I just can't handle the sheer :911: -ness any longer.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kesper North posted:

After reading the John Ringo thread in TFR, I've started writing a pinko liberal milSF novel as a sort of self-administered unicorn chaser. I just can't handle the sheer :911: -ness any longer.

Ann Leckie (kind of) beat you to it.

The Ancillary books are so good.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

WarLocke posted:

:stare: Why do I have to like this kind of milSF?

More entries on the list of stuff to read...

It's really bad. Like lost fleet bad. But they go by so fast that as long as you aren't spending money on it, it's not bad. (Also the bad Europeans was just a small part of one book, but STAR CARRIER AMERICA is in the whole thing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

WarLocke posted:

Ann Leckie (kind of) beat you to it.

The Ancillary books are so good.

I didn't enjoy them at all. I was bored by the first one, and so bored by the second one that I gave up after the first third or so.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Hughlander posted:

It's really bad. Like lost fleet bad. But they go by so fast that as long as you aren't spending money on it, it's not bad. (Also the bad Europeans was just a small part of one book, but STAR CARRIER AMERICA is in the whole thing.

Don't forget the ship is dick-shaped, and launches fighters from the tip of the mushroom head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

Don't forget the ship is dick-shaped, and launches fighters from the tip of the mushroom head.

I was trying to... Was the c fractional fighter recon mode with a long tail too?

• Locked thread