Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Pretty sure the kickstarter is just for PR. Probably cost them almost that much to bring the kid and his parents up and put them in a hotel for the event and film the video. :lol:

Baronjutter posted:

So what's this kickstarter thing? I turned the stream off when they started unironically talking about how minecraft modding is going to change the way developing countries think about urban planning and empower poor children to shape their futures because video games.

A card game base off Magicka by a little kid and his dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Baronjutter posted:

So what's this kickstarter thing?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1834911866/magicka-mayhem-the-card-game-of-elements-spells-an?ref=nav_search

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
MAHYHEM!!!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

this, uh, looks really loving bad

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

God drat I was just about to post that as well!

Their bio says they kid and his dad live in Irvine so I guess whoever set this up was just thinking at the last minute "what's some sob story we can grab on the way from the airport?" and low and behold here we are. I mean kudos for them for doing something they like and can bond over but the loving airfare from Europe probably cost more than the money these two are asking for and it's PI's own drat IP they're working with.

I seem to remember the kid droning on about wanting a game they can play when they don't have access to a computer or no power or something; are the brownouts in California still that bad? No power or water? Why do so many idiots from the midwest want to live there?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

God drat I was just about to post that as well!

Their bio says they kid and his dad live in Irvine so I guess whoever set this up was just thinking at the last minute "what's some sob story we can grab on the way from the airport?" and low and behold here we are. I mean kudos for them for doing something they like and can bond over but the loving airfare from Europe probably cost more than the money these two are asking for and it's PI's own drat IP they're working with.

I seem to remember the kid droning on about wanting a game they can play when they don't have access to a computer or no power or something; are the brownouts in California still that bad? No power or water? Why do so many idiots from the midwest want to live there?

I'm theorizing that the dad may have connections, be involved in the tech industry, or be friends with someone high up at Paradox. It's a weird little project.

Or maybe the CEO just liked the kids audacity. V:shobon:V

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Maybe it's just a nice little thing and we can all just smile about a kid and his dad doing something together.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Maybe it's just a nice little thing and we can all just smile about a kid and his dad doing something together.

What. The Hell. Is this?

I'm actually too tired to make a joke about Goons.

For the record my problem isn't with the kid wanting to do something with a game he clearly loves - it's great that he and his dad can do something fun together. I'm just not sure why Paradox feels the need to hit us up for some spare change when they can clearly cover this themselves. What the hell is $2,500 even going to cover?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Was there any HoI 4 info besides the release date? I mean, the release date is still great news, so it's fine if there wasn't, but I'm curious.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Empress Theonora posted:

Was there any HoI 4 info besides the release date? I mean, the release date is still great news, so it's fine if there wasn't, but I'm curious.

Previous information implied you may be able to take command of a country during World War 2 and fight it as them.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Mister Adequate posted:

Previous information implied you may be able to take command of a country during World War 2 and fight it as them.

oh boy i hope they include my favorite countries like france and the ussr

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Empress Theonora posted:

Fingers crossed!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Empress Theonora posted:

France is in base game, USSR is preorder DLC only.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Psychotic Weasel posted:

For the record my problem isn't with the kid wanting to do something with a game he clearly loves - it's great that he and his dad can do something fun together. I'm just not sure why Paradox feels the need to hit us up for some spare change when they can clearly cover this themselves. What the hell is $2,500 even going to cover?

I would guess the kid & dad asked paradox "please can you mention us our fan project in one of your videos", not "please can you give us $2500". Probably Paradox felt warmly toward their superfans and made it a whole treat for them, flew them out, etc. Seems perfectly reasonable from their perspective.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

No brownouts, but... iirc, if California's Central Valley region was its own state (as has been proposed), it would be the poorest in the nation. Context.

The regions people want to move to are mainly the metropolitan coastal areas.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

They've given them license to use the Magicka IP, that's not nothing.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The dad's a chiropractor, I guess? Bizarre...

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Empress Theonora posted:

There is a Video Dev Diary, but there isn't anything really new in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMkRSRP1IPY

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

tooterfish posted:

They've given them license to use the Magicka IP, that's not nothing.

To create a card game called Magicka.

The flaming eye of Hasbro turns it's gaze upon Sweden...

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Will their be a Byzantium DLC for Hearts of Iron 4 if I pre-order?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Horsebanger posted:

You'll also get the Bulgaria unit model pack for free.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Horsebanger posted:

All Paradox games should have a custom nation DLC.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I was not prepared for May 6th. I don't know what's going on with that timeframe this year but there's about 7 games I'm interested in coming out within a month of each other, it's kind of insane.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

All Paradox games should have a custom nation DLC.

Wouldn't that be really involved for HoI 4 though? A nation in EU4 is just a set of ideas (as well as a few more things like government type and religion). Countries in HoI 4 have large national focus trees that often interact with other nations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I really hope there's byzantium DLC. Instead of tanks they have cataphracts.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Fuligin posted:

This is pretty surprising to me. Perhaps the hope is that the more immediately accessible Stellaris will help build more momentum for Paradox before HoI hits. Or maybe they're just banking on separate audiences.

Looks like the MoO reboot won't be fully released (early access at the moment), until about June. Which means paradox might be a full month ahead of the Mooboot. If so, Paradox could completely trash it and suck all the customers waiting for full release or a deeper space 4x.

Again, I really l think paradox is muscling their way into genres that have been forgotten or botched for a long time and making things happen. It's a really genius strategy, as the market for those types of games never disappeared. New gamers are open to these types of games too, providing they're updated with better UI, graphics, etc. I'm quite happy with the results and I hope they keep this up. The trolling of EA alone by the Cities Skylines people makes it worth it.

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Wouldn't that be really involved for HoI 4 though? A nation in EU4 is just a set of ideas (as well as a few more things like government type and religion). Countries in HoI 4 have large national focus trees that often interact with other nations.

You can lock out some of those ideas for custom nations, if necessary. EUIV does this.
But I see no reason why a generic event-idea related system couldn't be. China can just get a generic event that says "CUSTOM NATION requests an alliance, yea or nea?"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

The big ones do, but I'm assuming that there is probably some sort of generic national focus tree for minors (or a set of a few different ones based on the dominant ideology in the nation at the start), since I highly doubt they're going to design huge, detailed, unique national focus trees for every single nation on the planet. Custom nations would probably just use those.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I feel bad for the MOOBOOT people, they're going to get destroyed by Stellaris. The moo2 paradigm is dead and needs to be given a respectful burial. Hopefully there's a market for both. The new Moo looks really polished and the cute/funny theme of all the advisors and diplomats didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

I'd live to see some more casual all-of-history civ type game that didn't just grab random good and bad elements from civilization and make a "new" game from them. gently caress I'd kill for a GOOD SMAC remake, or just a cool game about colonizing an alien planet. I bet Paradox could pull this all off super well.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

willing to settle posted:

Looks like "Collectivist" governments get bonuses to slavery doing and penalties to science though, for some reason.

Goddamnit Paradox, programmable electronic computers were invented by the British government, not some profit-seeking capitalist

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Enjoy posted:

Goddamnit Paradox, programmable electronic computers were invented by the British government, not some profit-seeking capitalist

Wasn't the first computer programmer an English woman anyway?
Not to mention the most technologically advanced countries are (admittedly smaller) countries that have direct government support of science and technological infrastructure. Japan the easiest example to name.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Bel Monte posted:

Wasn't the first computer programmer an English woman anyway?
Not to mention the most technologically advanced countries are (admittedly smaller) countries that have direct government support of science and technological infrastructure. Japan the easiest example to name.

Which is correctly modeled in Paradox games. You, the government, spend resources on research to advance. How many of the technologically advanced countries of today would you describe as "collectivist"?

If you look back in history, it becomes clear very quickly that the ability for an individual to profit from his ingenuity was often a driving factor for technological advancement.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I just want to play as platypodes, why do I have to play a clicker? :negative:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

Which is correctly modeled in Paradox games. You, the government, spend resources on research to advance. How many of the technologically advanced countries of today would you describe as "collectivist"?

If you look back in history, it becomes clear very quickly that the ability for an individual to profit from his ingenuity was often a driving factor for technological advancement.

I would personally say they were more collectivist than capitalist, but purely collectivist? Nope. I wouldn't say any country in the world is purely capitalist either. Probably just the US and certain random smatterings of other countries are the most capitalist of countries, but that doesn't mean glowing reviews. Not to get into "what's the best government type". But for purely research reasons, government sponsorship is an amazing help to private and public good.

Thankfully, we have sliders(?) (kinda drunk I forgot) to determine exactly what kind of society you are playing as.

Edit: okay maybe I had too much to drink, but per wiki

Space sloths are amazing. I wanna feel good, man.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 16, 2016

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Shouldn't you be complaining about black people on the paradox plaza?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Putting in June 6th and 7th as days off work now, I guess.

Stellaris looks real good but I also don't get the feeling it'd be up my alley enough to play hooky.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I was not prepared for May 6th. I don't know what's going on with that timeframe this year but there's about 7 games I'm interested in coming out within a month of each other, it's kind of insane.

May 9th! June 6th!

Baronjutter posted:

I feel bad for the MOOBOOT people, they're going to get destroyed by Stellaris. The moo2 paradigm is dead and needs to be given a respectful burial. Hopefully there's a market for both. The new Moo looks really polished and the cute/funny theme of all the advisors and diplomats didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

I've not enjoyed the new Moo, but I have no idea what parts are just poorly thought out and what parts are not done yet. Early access! :argh:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The big ones do, but I'm assuming that there is probably some sort of generic national focus tree for minors (or a set of a few different ones based on the dominant ideology in the nation at the start), since I highly doubt they're going to design huge, detailed, unique national focus trees for every single nation on the planet. Custom nations would probably just use those.

Yeah, the non-majors have a generic tree. I want to say it was shown in one of the DDs, but honestly I am not sure which one if so.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, the non-majors have a generic tree. I want to say it was shown in one of the DDs, but honestly I am not sure which one if so.

Are the two branches "Conquer the world" and "Don't conquer the world"?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Are any Scandinavian countries getting any unique trees?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

THE BAR posted:

Are any Scandinavian countries getting any unique trees?

I believe they announced 7 majors (UK,France,Germany,USSR,Italy,Japan,USA) will have unique trees at the start. But expect other interesting places to get fleshed out through DLCs/Expansions.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 16, 2016

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

GaussianCopula posted:

I believe they announced 7 majors (UK,France,Germany,USSR,Italy,Japan,China) will have unique trees at the start. But expect other interesting places to get fleshed out through DLCs/Expansions.

China? What about the USA?

I was just wondering if Sweden would get any special bonuses, but there's still the event system.

E:

I'm fairly sure they mentioned China not getting a unique tree, at the start, but events will enhance playing as them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

THE BAR posted:

China? What about the USA?

I was just wondering if Sweden would get any special bonuses, but there's still the event system.

You are right of course, China is not a major but the USA are. As for Sweden, they didn't really do a whole lot during WW2, if you wanted to give a Scandinavian country their own focus tree it would probably be Finnland.