Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

madmac posted:

Technically it's a Goblin skill. Orcs get the Foot of Gork instead.

The orkest spell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=830b6aABkBQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I really wanted the siege leader with the winged helmet to be a Blood Dragon but it's just a mounted Wight King innit?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Macedon guy has Wrong Opinions on Mannfred's voice

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Mannfred's general speech voice over is really bad, but I love the model and the animations enough to make up for it, so I'm looking forward to playing vampire murder wizard in May.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So we got Vampires added into the mix, any word on High Elves? Sometimes I think I'm the only one who likes those poncy assholes and their cone-head helmets.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I don't think there's any official word on them, but popular rumor is that they will be part of whichever sequel adds naval combat.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
POM has a better grasp of his new tools and abilities so far.

:frogsiren: DIRECT HIT ON THE BLACK KNIGHTS :frogsiren:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

I kinda hope this guys loses. After hearing about how hard this mission is, everyone's done pretty well. I also wonder what happens if the general dies, did they implement army-wide crumble?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
These guys really kind of suck... most of them are horribly under-utilizing their army, and aren't even organizing their army before starting the battle.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Skandranon posted:

These guys really kind of suck... most of them are horribly under-utilizing their army, and aren't even organizing their army before starting the battle.

I'm betting that warhammer bats will be on par with Castivania bats for sheer annoyance. Especially against ranged heavy armies.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

The Winds of Magic are sitting at full for half the battle. Mannfred is apparently one of the best wizards, and they are casting like two spells per battle

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So we got Vampires added into the mix, any word on High Elves? Sometimes I think I'm the only one who likes those poncy assholes and their cone-head helmets.

Zippo. CA eventually wants every major army to be represented, but given the base game's focus on the Old World and limited naval content (no navy beyond transport ships) chances are we'll have to wait for an expansion before we see high elves.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
This POM guy is obviously good at TW games but he's getting wrecked because he isn't playing to the strengths of his army at all.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

"When you're playing a rush faction"

You should probably rush, instead of waiting around while the enemy picks off half your army from range.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Mans posted:

just play the game on steam you fuckign baby

I'll just do the other thing instead.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

"When you're playing a rush faction"

You should probably rush, instead of waiting around while the enemy picks off half your army from range.

No, no, you should obviously split up all your chaff units and send them against Orc Lords one or two at a time. Also don't cast spells.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I don't know why that guy wasn't pausing when he was trying to figure out which spells to cast or to figure out which buffs were around, but it was kinda fun to watch him go from showing off his units working together to not realizing things were going poorly until it was too late to salvage it.

He should have raised more zombies.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I legit think all 3 rounds would have been finished more swiftly with the use of magic. The winds were filling up crazy fast so I bet once you're hurling those debuffs ASAP then Vampire Counts are gonna crush some poo poo.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Yeah. There was a moment near the end, where he was surrounded and losing, but COULD have still won with a bit of luck. He just needed to summon another zombie, cast invocation of nehek, do an AoE debuff and maybe boost his own units. Since the winds of magic were COMPLETELY FULL he could have done just that

EDIT: Also, everyone complained that their units were so slow. It's a good thing they didn't use that spell they have that makes their units faster. That would have been useless

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BillBear posted:

The girl is going to play after the break then Prince of Macedon. POM is actually pretty good at TW so if you want to wait until someone who knows what they are doing plays I'll wait til then.

POM is also an obnoxious poo poo, tho. He's multiplayer only, and freely admits that, so why they'd choose him to play a scripted singleplayer mission is beyond me.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Arcsquad12 posted:

POM is also an obnoxious poo poo, tho. He's multiplayer only, and freely admits that, so why they'd choose him to play a scripted singleplayer mission is beyond me.

That explains why he wasn't pausing or slowing time. Well, I assume you can't do that in TW multiplayer anyway.

Speaking of multiplayer, someone explain to me why Shogun 2's multiplayer was good and the later games was less good, please?

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Shogun 2 had a cool multiplayer where as you used units you could customize them and make them better in certain areas for a slight cost increase

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I don't know enough about TW multiplayer to know if that's a big deal or not. Are multiplayer games just skirmish battles, or are they multi day long campaign games?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
You can do h2h campaigns or one off skirmish battles. People nostalgic for shoguns system are letting their grog show a little bit--it was awful to get into as a new player after release until you ground out a bunch for upgrades.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
That kind of sounds like a f2p grind mechanic, but I can see how that would keep people playing longer.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

It was really fun to tweak your units and make a really effective army but it wasn't remotely balanced. In mine i had a bunch of elite swords that could get up to +65%(iirc) speed with passives and abilities to very quickly close the gap with those pesky guns

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Who's a good starter clan for Fall of the Samurai?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Yeah I think the big problem with Shogun 2s MP deck system was that after a while/some balance patches it got really bad for new players since people had built up these custom armies over a long period of time. It was indeed really cool/good at launch but it got min/maxed pretty hard and because of its design new players couldn't really do anything to catch up but get poo poo on forever.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The ones that start on the left-side isle, Setsuma and Saga IIRC? They are really easy to do well with. Shogunate has a harder time in general.

The Shogun MP system was fun and it allowed you to recolor your units and dress up your general in fancy uniforms while also customizing its stats, so you could have a shooting general, a melee monster, a bufflord or a mix in-between. It was broken to hell and back as well, and sometimes you'd get into an unwinnable or really, really annoying matchup.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The ability to atleast customize your general and army for multiplayer, at least visually, would really make a lot of sense this being a Warhammer game and all. Can't see how they missed that.

I mean they might expand upon it later, but they could at least give us the abiltiy to use custom color schemes for custom battles/multiplayer seeing as this is Warhammer.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Have they explained how magic works and how it is affected by winds of magic? Because you guys are talking like full winds means that mana pool is full and should be spent, while from a fluff perspective that sounds to me that all spells are going to be very powerful, but are guaranteed to miscast.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Wizards in Warhammer shape the Winds of Magic to produce whatever effects they need, in theory. In practice it is just as likely to go very, very wrong as it is to go right. This also means that strong Winds of Magic increase the amount of magic a wizard can use because they're using the Winds as fuel.

The way it works is from the Great Chaos Rifts the Dhar Winds of Magic flow, splitting into eight distinct forms. Light, life, fire, metal, heavens, shadows, death and beasts; all magic is powered by shaping a combination of these 8 Winds of Magic. Of course the names aren't particularly useful for what they actually do but I'd rather not go deep into it mainly because I only got this information from a quick read through the 1d4chan page on Warhammer magic.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I just want match making... and some objectives which give you bonuses or just ANYTHING to stop people using cheese armies and camping at the corner of the map for 30 minutes.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

So apart from people here mentioning him, why do we think Kemmler was revealed as the second LL?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Arbite posted:

So apart from people here mentioning him, why do we think Kemmler was revealed as the second LL?

The official TW twitter account changed its portrait to a pic of Kemmler, I think.

Magni fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 16, 2016

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
It would be pretty hilarious if one of the item quests for Kemmler is to locate the tomb of Krell and ressurrect him.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
One thing i found a bit odd and was never questioned is how the undead units seem to have Stamina, which is a bit odd seeing as they're all dead. A mislabeling or do they actually use it?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Have they explained how magic works and how it is affected by winds of magic? Because you guys are talking like full winds means that mana pool is full and should be spent, while from a fluff perspective that sounds to me that all spells are going to be very powerful, but are guaranteed to miscast.

Pretty sure the ambient winds of magic affects how quickly your "mana" fills up. Places like that pillar of bone area have a high winds, places far from the Chaos Wastes or being drained by an appropriate character type have low.

Miscasting isn't a big deal apparently. The spell still goes off, it's just that the caster simply takes a bit of damage. They haven't mentioned whether the cost of the spell affects its likelihood to miscast or anything, I believe.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

drgnvale posted:

Speaking of multiplayer, someone explain to me why Shogun 2's multiplayer was good and the later games was less good, please?

It was unique and yet horribly horribly broken. Basically, you had an persistent avatar for your multiplayer (with a second, separate avatar for Fall) that started off with a few basic units. As you played, your avatar gained experience and leveled up. As it leveled up, it could get new unlocks, similar to the tech tree. So say your army could get a bonus to attack or ammo or speed etc. In addition, there was a personal campaign map for your avatar, same as the main campaign map but in the Risk-style of the first Shogun. You could move your marker to a province, and if you won a battle (or after enough losses) you would capture that province. Some gave bonuses, most unlocked new units for you to use. Lastly, if a unit did well in battle, you could make it a veteran unit. This allowed you to customise them (mostly changing the name and colour) and they would gain levels like the avatar, which granted them skill points to spend on upgrading stats.

It's this stat upgrade that made the system horribly broken. Veteran units cost more to bring then a standard unit, but upgraded right they could dominate. Range was the biggest culprit. Due to the lack of shields, archers were deadly in Shogun 2, and the usual counter was bringing your own archers so that even if your archers lost the enemy's archers were too low in number to make a difference. But when a veteran archer unit had range upgrades, that gave them a fairly large window of uncontested fire which typically let them slaughter your non-upgraded archers, at which point you were forced into a desperate charge to avoid getting shot to death. It was worse with Fall armies, since most units were ranged and had a high rate of fire and accuracy. Upgraded Line Infantry could easily break an enemy unit before it even got into range to return fire.

In addition, the only way to unlock new units beyond the crappy units you started with was the campaign map mechanic. And unless you won a fair few battles (unlikely if you were coming to the game some time after release) , you had to lose a lot to get even a few decent units. And then do it again for your other avatar, since it had a separate campaign map. That kind of grind is soul-destroying.

The other main obstacle to making the avatar multiplayer system again is culture. Unless you threw every unit into a massive mixing pot, with all of the hidious balance issues that would cause, you would have to separate avatars by culture. Shogun 2 had 2 cultures, Shogun 2 (with Rise's units thrown in) and Fall of the Samurai. Rome 2 had 8, with another 4 added as DLC. Attila had 6, with another 4 plus all of the Charlemagne factions. Warhammer is starting with at least 4, maybe 6 if Chaos and the Brets are added. Who the hell wants to grind out dozens upon dozens of battles just so you don't have to use militia-tier units?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Wait.. can you do a co-op multiplayer campaign in this? This is important

• Locked thread