Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Both Morel and Knov had some of the best support nen abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

alkanphel posted:

Both Morel and Knov had some of the best support nen abilities.

Yeah, but Morel's is also good for just straight-up combat, while Knov's seems to have limited use in that capacity (there's that weird ability he used against that one ant soldier, but it doesn't seem like anything that would be that useful against anything that wasn't already weaker than you). Morel's is mostly crazy just because it can do a bunch of seemingly unrelated stuff. In particular the ability to turn his smoke into a sort of 3d version of Hisoka's Deceitful Texture is really bizarre.

edit: vvv Ah, that's right, I forgot about that. It's still nuts that he can do so many different things with the smoke, though. Like, just the dolls thing alone would be a powerful ability (and we've seen other characters with similar skills, like Razer).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 16, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Morel's limit was based on his lung capacity. It is just that he designed his ability around the fact that he has superhuman lung capacity because he was smart as all get out.

It was the same sort of thing as Killua's nen. The primary limitation on its use is that it causes intense pain from all that electricity, but that doesn't particularly bother Killua.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 16, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Maybe the power of Morel's ability is due to the fact that using it will almost certainly give him lung cancer.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Maybe the power of Morel's ability is due to the fact that using it will almost certainly give him lung cancer.

He just chose a very flexible power that would naturally be able to do alot of those things with minimal manipulation skills. His smoke clones are only really useful for scouting because they don't hold up once you hit them.

Have no idea how he gets away with the unbreakable smoke jail thing though. Probably something to do with having to be in it himself is what makes it operate.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

You know who has a loving ridiculous Nen ability? Morel. His ability can do at least all of the following:

1. Create literally hundreds of Nen dolls that can be given somewhat commands (with increasing complexity and capabilities with fewer dolls)
2. Create unbreakable smoke constructs, including...
3. An invulnerable, unbreakable smoke enclosure
4. Change the appearance of said smoke constructs and dolls to the point where it's apparently not possible to tell the difference at a glance, like when he made his dolls look like Knuckle or his smoke look like grass
5. Create a smokescreen

And all of this without any real restrictions other than needing to use his giant pipe. It's probably one of the only Nen abilities that just seems flat out superior to a bunch of other similar abilities. Any one of its capabilities (except for maybe the smokescreen) would entirely suffice as a good Nen ability by itself.

Yeah, its versatility is insane and Morel is right when he says that he has yet to encounter someone with powers as versatile as his.

That being said, he has had to fight twice with a handicap (limited smoke during his fight against the Cheetah and no pipe when fighting against Yuupi).

So maybe that's his restriction.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

You know who has a loving ridiculous Nen ability? Morel. His ability can do at least all of the following:

1. Create literally hundreds of Nen dolls that can be given somewhat commands (with increasing complexity and capabilities with fewer dolls)
2. Create unbreakable smoke constructs, including...
3. An invulnerable, unbreakable smoke enclosure
4. Change the appearance of said smoke constructs and dolls to the point where it's apparently not possible to tell the difference at a glance, like when he made his dolls look like Knuckle or his smoke look like grass
5. Create a smokescreen

And all of this without any real restrictions other than needing to use his giant pipe. It's probably one of the only Nen abilities that just seems flat out superior to a bunch of other similar abilities. Any one of its capabilities (except for maybe the smokescreen) would entirely suffice as a good Nen ability by itself.

This isn't a restriction per-say. But you can view Morel's overall combat philosophy as an additional catch to his power. He's not a pure fighter and functions best as a support to a combat type user. His ability has a lot of utility functions but unlike Hisoka's Bungee Gum which get's used in a more offensive capacity, Morel's smoke manipulation doesn't have any killing techniques. The fights he does win he does so by just out thinking his opponents instead of outright killing them; and while he's definitely a strong individual he's aware that at the end of the day he's not a combat junkie like say Netero.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
On the other hand, Bisky has a sexy massage therapist. She's a nen master but she chooses back rubs as her special power.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's actually a ridiculous magical massage that can instantly heal minor wounds and restore fatigue. She's a walking senzu bean.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 16, 2016

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Clarste posted:

walking senzu bean.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

YggiDee posted:

On the other hand, Bisky has a sexy massage therapist. She's a nen master but she chooses back rubs as her special power.

Actually she has many different massage therapists that do different things so her power is actually way more diverse!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm pretty sure she has the one massage therapist who has a wide variety of skills.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Ytlaya posted:

I assume he can control the smoke and thus make it not do... like, bad stuff, I guess.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Sexy Massage Therapist is probably the most useful and good power if you could have it irl

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Asuron posted:

He just chose a very flexible power that would naturally be able to do alot of those things with minimal manipulation skills. His smoke clones are only really useful for scouting because they don't hold up once you hit them.

Have no idea how he gets away with the unbreakable smoke jail thing though. Probably something to do with having to be in it himself is what makes it operate.

He can also make unbreakable constructs, such as when he creates a smoke rope and wraps it around Cheetu and tells Cheetu (which Cheetu then confirms) that it can't be broken. While it seems like these constructs can't be used directly from combat, since they probably don't have any real weight to them and there's a good chance they can't be formed that quickly, it's still pretty crazy. Even Machi's nen threads are't unbreakable.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tir McDohl posted:

Sexy Massage Therapist is probably the most useful and good power if you could have it irl

I could sure as hell use one now!!!!!!!

I'm still sleepy and tired.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Ytlaya posted:

He can also make unbreakable constructs, such as when he creates a smoke rope and wraps it around Cheetu and tells Cheetu (which Cheetu then confirms) that it can't be broken. While it seems like these constructs can't be used directly from combat, since they probably don't have any real weight to them and there's a good chance they can't be formed that quickly, it's still pretty crazy. Even Machi's nen threads are't unbreakable.

That doesn't mean the smoke rope actually is unbreakable. Cheetu didn't seem particularly strong, just fast. All it has to be is stronger than Cheetu.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Reporting 2 hours later to say that I could still use that magical energizing massage.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Morel is like Smoker from One Piece only useful.

Smoker's still pretty cool though.

Morel is just cooler.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Reporting 1 hour and 30 minutes later to say that I'm better now and no longer need that massage.

But it could have saved me around 6 hours of fatigue.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Reporting 1 hour and 30 minutes later to say that I'm better now and no longer need that massage.

But it could have saved me around 6 hours of fatigue.

who's giving the massage though?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Asuron posted:

hello

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Asuron posted:

I don't care as long as it's by a nen master.

Stairmaster posted:

i dont think you want to know about my nen technique...

gently caress!

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Is it emission or conjuration based, I need to know

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Asuron posted:

Is it emission or conjuration based, I need to know

first the latter then the former

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Think of nen as fucks. You can emit fucks at people by cursing at them but you can't conjure fucks to give them.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Man, I really hope we get an arc that focuses on Kurapika nad Leorio as they battle a bunch of princes and their body guards on board a huge ship. gently caress the dark Continent, I want some Under Siege action.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wanna see all the creepy prince powers. One of them is a baby.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder how Knov defeated Flutter. They showed him looking at flutter hovering hundreds of feet in the sky and then later he mentioned having defeated him.

edit: As an unrelated thing, I wonder what Leol's end-game was. He was trying to get Pitou to owe him a favor with the end-goal of getting the King to owe him a favor, but I'm not sure how that would really help him defeat the King; neither Pitou's nor the King's special Nen abilities are so vital that losing them would allow someone like Leol to defeat them.

vvv Really? If you're not joking I must have missed that (I'm re-reading this part of the manga now).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 19, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

He shot him with a gun

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder how Knov defeated Flutter. They showed him looking at flutter hovering hundreds of feet in the sky and then later he mentioned having defeated him.

edit: As an unrelated thing, I wonder what Leol's end-game was. He was trying to get Pitou to owe him a favor with the end-goal of getting the King to owe him a favor, but I'm not sure how that would really help him defeat the King; neither Pitou's nor the King's special Nen abilities are so vital that losing them would allow someone like Leol to defeat them.

vvv Really? If you're not joking I must have missed that (I'm re-reading this part of the manga now).

It was an off screen death. I'm guessing he ambushed him and reached him in the sky by doing that Nen jump thing we learned about in Greed Island and because Knov is really good at Nen , he can reach that kind've height.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

where the gently caress is the announcement

did shonen jump go on hiatus?!

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Stairmaster posted:

where the gently caress is the announcement

did shonen jump go on hiatus?!

Looks like it's coming back April 18th.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Finally.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Should start a betting pool on how many chapters we'll get this time.

His last three streaks between hiatuses were 20, 10, and 9 chapters in 2011, 2012, and 2014 respectively.

I'm still really happy that this manga is coming back - however briefly.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sarcophallus posted:

Should start a betting pool on how many chapters we'll get this time.

My guess at least enough chapters for a volume, but hopefully more!

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

alkanphel posted:

My guess at least enough chapters for a volume, but hopefully more!

Dear god I hope not. Wasn't he only a couple of chapters off enough for a volume last time?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In other HxH news some English voice actors have been announced for the anime.

Gon: Erica Mendez
Killua: Cristina Valenzuela
Leorio: Matthew Mercer
Hisoka: Keith Silverstein

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Matt Mercer as Leorio sounds good. Not sure who those other people are.

Oh, Hisoka is Vector the Crocodile and Robert Edward O. Speedwagon. And Gon is Ryuko Matoi.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

cant wait to hear Speedwagon yell about how a little boy is giving him a boner