Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BobTheJanitor posted:

If this article has its facts straight, it's placing him a little to the left of Kagan.

That doesn't sound too bad I guess. They can't all be Sotomayor and anything that's not as bad as Scalia is going to unfuck the court a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Isn't the assumption that if Hillary wins, especially if the Dems retake the Senate, Ginsburg retires?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Arcturas posted:

According to Nina Totenberg on air a few minutes ago, there was apparently some back channel conversations where republican senators agreed to confirm garland during the lame duck period if a Democrat wins the election.

In that context, a nomination of a satisfactory moderate justice makes sense as a hedge against the republicans winning the senate but losing the presidency.

Geez, if that's true it's another case of Obama getting rolled yet again. And a nice way to hose your potentially democratic successor.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Radish posted:

That doesn't sound too bad I guess. They can't all be Sotomayor and anything that's not as bad as Scalia is going to unfuck the court a lot.

Kagan is herself Perfectly Fine. Not particularly exciting in terms of actual jurisprudence but fine, and has a little fun with her opinions sometimes and is generally layman-friendly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So Garland handled the McVeigh case? So he's for the Death Penalty... Lovely.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Agronox posted:

Geez, if that's true it's another case of Obama getting rolled yet again. And a nice way to hose your potentially democratic successor.

Hillary will get to replace RBG and possibly some combination of Kennedy, Thomas, and Breyer.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Obama just name dropped Hatch. This is pure Trollbama at its finest

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Garland isn't the best pick, but replacing Scalia with Kagan 2.0 is objectively great.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Capt. Sticl posted:

I took that to mean, if the Republican's win they confirm him and the Dem's save themselves from a Trump/Cruz pick.

If the Democrats win, the Repubslicans save themselves from Hillary's more progressive pick.

And int he event the Dems win (they will), while Garland isn't the best option they are likely to get another 1 or 2 nominations over the next 4 years anyway.

Except that's insane, there's no way Republicans would agree and there is no way you could trust the Republicans would follow that plan. If Republicans win the Presidency, they keep the Supreme Court. Why would they then give that up?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Isn't the assumption that if Hillary wins, especially if the Dems retake the Senate, Ginsburg retires?

Ginsburg has no interest whatsoever in retiring before she's good and ready, or she would have listened to the people calling for her to retire before 2014.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

mdemone posted:

I think you can be "tough" on crime while being in favor of significant CJ reform. I don't know if that describes Garland or not, but at least it doesn't seem like such a clear-cut dichotomy to me.

I mean sure if you want to be pedantic about it, but I think most folks understand that in practice, people who we would normally describe as "tough on crime" as a shorthand don't also generally hold views consistent with BLM advocacy.

But let's look at the nuance. Here's Garland's record:

quote:

The most significant area of the law in which Judge Garland's views obviously differ materially from those of Justice Stevens is criminal law. Judge Garland rarely votes in favor of criminal defendants' appeals of their convictions... Most striking, in ten criminal cases, Judge Garland has disagreed with his more-liberal colleagues; in each, he adopted the position that was more favorable to the government or declined to reach a question on which the majority of the court had adopted a position favorable to a defendant. Because disagreement among panel members on the D.C. Circuit is relatively rare, this substantial body of cases is noteworthy.

Does this sound like it could probably be perceived as part of the over-incarceration problem that the BLM and others are trying to address? I would say yes.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

TheGreyGhost posted:

Obama just name dropped Hatch. This is pure Trollbama at its finest

Seems like Hatch baited him to the choice, so I'm not sure if this qualifies as trolling.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Forever_Peace posted:

Does this sound like it could probably be perceived as part of the over-incarceration problem that the BLM and others are trying to address? I would say yes.

From the "half glass full" perspective, the Court debating the merits of tenets of BLM is a big step up from debating the merits (and striking down) voting rights. I'm disappointed in this pick, but literally anyone other than Scalia is a vast improvement.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Well, dang. That's not great. Guess I'll be hoping for GOP obstructionism (and a Dem win in November). Criminal appeals are a Pretty Important part of the SC (and the thing Alito is obsessively, 100% horrible on, to the point that in his previous judgeships the prosecutors and police departments he was granting vast powers went "whoa, slow down there a bit hoss, that sounds like a bit much").

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

evilweasel posted:

Except that's insane, there's no way Republicans would agree and there is no way you could trust the Republicans would follow that plan. If Republicans win the Presidency, they keep the Supreme Court. Why would they then give that up?

I have no idea. I agree it sounds insane. I was just commenting that I had a different interpretation of the potential back channel deal. Mine is insane from the Republican side, yours is a terrible deal to take from the Dems side.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So will the GOP rush to confirm him in December or January if Hillary wins the election?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Sadly Hillary is pro-death penalty so I don't think that's going away any time soon with her appointments if she wins. :smith:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Read something interesting on the Twittersphere. Garland's current job involves resolving Congressional disputes that make it to the courts.

He's not exactly someone you'd want to piss off if you're in Congress.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Garland isn't the best pick, but replacing Scalia with Kagan 2.0 is objectively great.

Honestlyk, I have more of an issue with his age than his record.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

hes not Kagan 2.0, he's less progressive/liberal than she is.

ScotusBlog posted:

The point is not that Judge Garland is conservative. None of the candidates under serious consideration is. Rather, there are gradations between the views of the three, and there are questions on which they would disagree. On a number of issues, particularly those related to criminal law, Judge Garland is the least likely to adopt a liberal position.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

mcmagic posted:

So will the GOP rush to confirm him in December or January if Hillary wins the election?

Of course! If there's one thing we've learned from the Republican Congresses over the last eight years, it's that you can surely take them at their word. Comity and all that.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

From the "half glass full" perspective, the Court debating the merits of tenets of BLM is a big step up from debating the merits (and striking down) voting rights. I'm disappointed in this pick, but literally anyone other than Scalia is a vast improvement.

Funny you should mention voting rights, because Garland wrote the opinion to prevent the (majority black) residents of Washington DC from being represented in Congress.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Read something interesting on the Twittersphere. Garland's current job involves resolving Congressional disputes that make it to the courts.

He's not exactly someone you'd want to piss off if you're in Congress.

Democrats already have a solid majority on the DC circuit. In fact, it was getting control of the DC circuit that lead to the aboilition of the filibuster on judicial nominees - Republicans refused to confirm anyone for the three vacancies (sound familiar?) because they wanted to keep control of it, and their filibuster on all of the nominees was what finally broke the camel's back.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Agronox posted:

Of course! If there's one thing we've learned from the Republican Congresses over the last eight years, it's that you can surely take them at their word. Comity and all that.

Just in terms of the calculation that he would be more conservative than anyone she would nominate...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Yes, its shocking that a deputy attorney general would follow the policy of his administration and the law of the land.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Yes, no doubt. Which is what makes him such an infuriating choice.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
I'm not understanding the doom and gloom - he is probably the most liberal judge that has even a remote chance of confirmation. If you're Obama, you don't jump at the chance to lock in that fifth liberal vote? Lots of people in this thread are willing to forgo any chance at hearings just to get a wedge issue nomination, as if voters will need extra motivation when Trump is the GOP candidate.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

evilweasel posted:

Won't they have had to poo poo or get off the pot by then, though? This situation doesn't make it to November, one way or the other, at least IMO.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

And what if Trump wins?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Who should have been nominated? Isn't it likely that if he goes with one of the good, liberal choices that they have no chance of making it? What's the better option?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

On the other hand, I doubt Hillary's choice would be better.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

mdemone posted:

Won't they have had to poo poo or get off the pot by then, though? This situation doesn't make it to November, one way or the other, at least IMO.

Yeah, I imagine he'd withdraw his name at some point.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Just in terms of the calculation that he would be more conservative than anyone she would nominate...

Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, I agree that they will uphold their end if, at that particular point in time, they judge it to be in their best interests.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wax Dynasty posted:

I'm not understanding the doom and gloom - he is probably the most liberal judge that has even a remote chance of confirmation. If you're Obama, you don't jump at the chance to lock in that fifth liberal vote? Lots of people in this thread are willing to forgo any chance at hearings just to get a wedge issue nomination, as if voters will need extra motivation when Drumpf is the GOP candidate.

as with all things perfect is the enemy of good. He's a solid choice and considering who he's replacing he's a beam of light

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Wax Dynasty posted:

I'm not understanding the doom and gloom - he is probably the most liberal judge that has even a remote chance of confirmation. If you're Obama, you don't jump at the chance to lock in that fifth liberal vote? Lots of people in this thread are willing to forgo any chance at hearings just to get a wedge issue nomination, as if voters will need extra motivation when Trump is the GOP candidate.

1. He doesn't really raise the pressure on the GOP to actually confirm him as more as Sri would
2. He's older than Sri
3. He's worse than ideal candidates

The doom and gloom is because he brings nothing to the table that other candidates would. He doesn't seem any more likely to get confirmed than Sri. If he does get confirmed, he keeps the seat a decade less than almost any other choice. If Hillary wins, he's a clearly inferior nominee who might get confirmed in the lame-duck session to block an ideal candidate.

There's simply no sense in which he's better than the other candidates, regardless of how likely you think it is he'll get confirmed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

And what if Trump wins?

Then he'll get ignored until Trump can nominate a replacement.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

evilweasel posted:

1. He doesn't really raise the pressure on the GOP to actually confirm him as more as Sri would
2. He's older than Sri
3. He's worse than ideal candidates

The doom and gloom is because he brings nothing to the table that other candidates would. He doesn't seem any more likely to get confirmed than Sri. If he does get confirmed, he keeps the seat a decade less than almost any other choice. If Hillary wins, he's a clearly inferior nominee who might get confirmed in the lame-duck session to block an ideal candidate.

There's simply no sense in which he's better than the other candidates, regardless of how likely you think it is he'll get confirmed.

What on earth leads you to 1, 2 is stupid, and 3 is debatable

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

On the other hand, I doubt Hillary's choice would be better.

I don't know that Hillary would appoint someone more liberal - though I expect she would, after all Bill's picks were pretty solid as well - but she'd appoint someone who would keep the seat longer. I mean, remember - Clarence Thomas is the same age as Alito and will leave at the same time, except they were appointed by two different Bushes. You get a lot of mileage out of nominating someone younger.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

nerve posted:

Who should have been nominated? Isn't it likely that if he goes with one of the good, liberal choices that they have no chance of making it? What's the better option?

The argument here is that he's not getting confirmed before November no matter what happens. The seat will be empty from now until then whether Obama nominates Garland or Bernie Sanders. The question is what happens after the vote in November.

If Hillary wins, the Republicans will rush to confirm Garland so that Hillary doesn't get to appoint a younger and more liberal justice.

If Trump wins, the Republicans will still not confirm Garland because they just got the opportunity to appoint one of their own instead.

Now look at it from the point of view of appointing a younger, more liberal justice:

If Hillary wins, the Republicans refuse to confirm them. The seat stays empty for a couple months until Hillary nominates her own young, liberal pick, who will get confirmed.

If Trump wins, the Republicans refuse to confirm them and Trump appoints one of their own.

The argument is that neither Garland nor anyone else has a chance of being confirmed between now and November, and as a result it's better not to nominate a compromise candidate because then you're not stuck with a compromise candidate in the one out of four outcomes (albeit the most likely one) where this person ever gets appointed.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What on earth leads you to 1, 2 is stupid, and 3 is debatable

Sri was unanimously approved like three years ago and would galvanize portions of the electorate more than an old white guy. Age s incredibly important: given the importance of Supreme Court justices, you want as many years out of the ones you appoint as possible. Garland's age means that the coming liberal majority is at risk a decade earlier than someone a decade younger.

As for that he's not ideal - I mean, he's a compromise moderate. He'll be just as good as anyone else for five years but once the current mess is rolled back he'll be the liberal O'Connor or Kennedy, being the swing vote that blocks further movement beyond a point.