Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I just started Soma, like, a year late, and someone has probably already made this observation, but there are times when the MC sounds like the MC from Sanitarium.

I mean not as bad, but the weird retro-50s dad voice happens sometimes.

Also this game seems cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

RichterIX posted:

If it was built on Arkham Horror there would be a huge chance that even seeing a monster would send you to the insane asylum, which I'm for.

I really wish they'd do this, but it's wildly unlikely.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Seeing one monster and having your options reduced to Babbling and Drooling doesn't seem like a very fun video game to me. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

May the rats eat yer eyes!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Bogart posted:

Seeing one monster and having your options reduced to Babbling and Drooling doesn't seem like a very fun video game to me. :v:

Yeah, an RPG would be pretty rough if your healer was always getting lost in space and time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know, Fallout is still immensely unique for creating different dialog based on your intelligence so you could work a system where your mental stats slowly drain. Maybe toss in a random dialog modifier where descriptions subtly change or you stutter or get nervous ticks during dialog. Of course that would only really work in a non-voiced game.

MarkVega
Jan 1, 2008
Just lookin'.

Popular Human posted:

Has anyone played Anatomy yet? It's getting some really good buzz with a bunch of horrorgames people I follow on Twitter.

This one is from a while ago, but I wholeheartedly recommend this one. It's been a while I got that certain amount of dread that just makes me stop every step. It might look like a standard Unity thing from the screenshots but it's anything but.

Hope this Kitty person makes more.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

May the rats eat yer eyes!

Eternal Darkness reference? Or was that quote from somewhere else?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

fennesz posted:

Eternal Darkness reference? Or was that quote from somewhere else?
The former. Eternal Darkness had some good lines.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

al-azad posted:

I don't know, Fallout is still immensely unique for creating different dialog based on your intelligence so you could work a system where your mental stats slowly drain. Maybe toss in a random dialog modifier where descriptions subtly change or you stutter or get nervous ticks during dialog. Of course that would only really work in a non-voiced game.

Hate shamblers

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, an RPG would be pretty rough if your healer was always getting lost in space and time.

It would work in Darkest Dungeons.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

MarkVega posted:

This one is from a while ago, but I wholeheartedly recommend this one. It's been a while I got that certain amount of dread that just makes me stop every step. It might look like a standard Unity thing from the screenshots but it's anything but.

Yeah I ended up buying it not long after I made that post - liked it quite a bit.

It did a BANG UP JOB of ratcheting up the dread - I was almost happy when I started the game for the third time and the house had gone insane, because something had finally come along and drained the massive amount of tension I'd built up in the first two iterations.

Great game, totally worth $3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Any opinions on Kholat? It just came out on PSN but I know it's been out on Steam for a while.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

MarkVega posted:

I assume that this isn't coming to Steam anytime soon by the fact that it isn't on Steam already.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/05/when-does-nightcry-come-out/

Like I dont think I'll drop money on this but I'll watch Harshly Critical or someone play it I guess

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Basticle posted:

Like I dont think I'll drop money on this but I'll watch Harshly Critical or someone play it I guess

Still confused by the "Nude Maker" name of the company.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Japanese guy thinks two English words sound cool without knowing what they actually mean most likely. Or doesn't care.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Sakurazuka posted:

Any opinions on Kholat? It just came out on PSN but I know it's been out on Steam for a while.

I thought it was pretty solid for a 20 dollar outing; I play horror games mostly for atmosphere and this was top notch. The story is an examination of the Dyatlov Pass Incident; I didn't find it to be anything spectacular, but Sean Bean was Sean Bean and I was motivated enough to try and find all those drat notes. One note if you want to play: in the fine tradition of Russian created and themed games, it does not hold your hand in regards to game mechanics. For navigation, it gives you a compass, a map, and the ability to see coordinates on it- that's it. It gives you some coordinates for the main story bits, and you can find other coordinates in game for the non-essential bits, but you have to actually find these coordinates- and campsites (which function as spawning/fast travel points)-yourself. Have fun!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Basticle posted:

It's honestly not as bad as you think, and if you're in the mood for a game with a Deadly Premonition feel with some tension then it's probably worth a try. Honestly if I thought it'd be okay then I'd upload the alpha to dropbox but I think that gets into the realm of files.

Still, the weird thing about that article is that it calls the game 'point'n'click' cause it's definitely not that.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

resurgam40 posted:

I thought it was pretty solid for a 20 dollar outing; I play horror games mostly for atmosphere and this was top notch. The story is an examination of the Dyatlov Pass Incident; I didn't find it to be anything spectacular, but Sean Bean was Sean Bean and I was motivated enough to try and find all those drat notes. One note if you want to play: in the fine tradition of Russian created and themed games, it does not hold your hand in regards to game mechanics. For navigation, it gives you a compass, a map, and the ability to see coordinates on it- that's it. It gives you some coordinates for the main story bits, and you can find other coordinates in game for the non-essential bits, but you have to actually find these coordinates- and campsites (which function as spawning/fast travel points)-yourself. Have fun!

I talked a little about it earlier, but it's one of the few games that really nails the 'isolation' horror vibe. I liked it.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I watched an LPer play the alpha for NightCry....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYsZSqxcs6I

...And I was SUPER unimpressed. It looks like poo poo, imo. Can we get over spooky little laughing girls voiced by 30-year-old women? Please?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Late recommendation for Layers of Fear, it was discussed earlier and has been out of Early Access for a while now but I just finished it over the weekend. It's quite a trip that overturned a few of my expectations along the way; it very effectively uses a mind-bending, surreal style of horror that is also surprisingly beautiful at times, with imagery such as a room filled with seemingly weightless, brightly-colored crayons that float lazily through the air and spin away as you walk into them.

It does have a lot of jump scares. A lot of them are very effective, but there are areas where they're just relentless, one after another, and it has a numbing effect that hurts the overall experience.

Still I'd highly recommend this, it was a wonderfully heady psychological horror with a typically morbid yet still poignant ending.

Also I was happy to see that it continues the trend of horror games mining the more macabre offerings of Renaissance/Romantic era painters; your Bosch and de Goya are in full effect here, as previously seen in the otherwise mediocre Amnesia: Machine for Pigs, and there are also a few slightly more obscure gems, as well as a couple original works made for the game that are not too shabby. I feel this adds more fuel for discussion to the Games as Art debate; Video Games may not be Art, but that doesn't mean they can't have Art in them :smug:

Fun thing to do if you're an uncultured pleb like me, reverse Google image search some of the paintings and pick up a little culture.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Late recommendation for Layers of Fear, it was discussed earlier and has been out of Early Access for a while now but I just finished it over the weekend. It's quite a trip that overturned a few of my expectations along the way; it very effectively uses a mind-bending, surreal style of horror that is also surprisingly beautiful at times, with imagery such as a room filled with seemingly weightless, brightly-colored crayons that float lazily through the air and spin away as you walk into them.

It does have a lot of jump scares. A lot of them are very effective, but there are areas where they're just relentless, one after another, and it has a numbing effect that hurts the overall experience.

Still I'd highly recommend this, it was a wonderfully heady psychological horror with a typically morbid yet still poignant ending.

Also I was happy to see that it continues the trend of horror games mining the more macabre offerings of Renaissance/Romantic era painters; your Bosch and de Goya are in full effect here, as previously seen in the otherwise mediocre Amnesia: Machine for Pigs, and there are also a few slightly more obscure gems, as well as a couple original works made for the game that are not too shabby. I feel this adds more fuel for discussion to the Games as Art debate; Video Games may not be Art, but that doesn't mean they can't have Art in them :smug:

Fun thing to do if you're an uncultured pleb like me, reverse Google image search some of the paintings and pick up a little culture.

there's one part where you open a door and there's a creepy painting but when you turn around on the wall behind you as suddenly appeared a veeeery small version of the same painting. i think it's supposed to be scary? but it had me and my friends on the floor

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I just got through some pretty cool puzzles in Soma, but now I'm in a series of identical corridors avoiding those enemies who can hear you, but not see you, and I have no idea where to go.

I could really use some maps on the walls in this area.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I just got through some pretty cool puzzles in Soma, but now I'm in a series of identical corridors avoiding those enemies who can hear you, but not see you, and I have no idea where to go.

I could really use some maps on the walls in this area.

That is, IMO, the scariest part of the game. Just throw an object behind an crouch walk

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I mean it's not bad, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing other than something to do with power, these enviroments are kinda hard to navigate

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I mean it's not bad, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing other than something to do with power, these enviroments are kinda hard to navigate

Brb I'll read a guide on my compy and let you know. You're in the basement server room right?

Edit: PM me plz

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I really need to finish Soma. I finished doing a part where you simulate a world for data or something. Then got to a corridor area. Not sure what to do when I pick it back up.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'm still stuck on Tau Astronaut like six months later

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I pushed through Layers of Fear super quickly because I enjoyed the spectacle a lot and the game wastes no time throwing more and more in your face. It wasn't scary to me because it becomes clear very early on that the protagonist is a giant piece of poo poo/possible serial killer, so I could never associate with him. Hell, I cheered for more torment on his crazy rear end. Which he could actually be enjoying, for all we know. The ending (the neutral one) was wonderfully bleak and really well done though. Youtubed the other two and they didn't seem quite as impactful.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I finished Stasis last night. It's a decent enough adventure game and I can't be too hard on them for the technical short comings since it's an indie title, but the plot is really cliche, the villain one dimensional and a lot of the gore is gratuitous at best. Near the end when your daughter dies it felt like that was just the capping point on a game that just throws corpses at you at every opportunity. It also felt a lot like a visual novel with how much text it throws at you and I feel like this is a genre issue with horror games that just put all the context in audio logs and text files on computers.

Overall it's okay but I wouldn't pay the asking price for it.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
It feels very much like an adventure game from the 90s: all nonsensical puzzles and clunky interface. There's only so much you can explain by saying it's a small team on a small budget. Story and production values are all in the eye of the beholder, but make it at least playable, or don't waste everyone's time.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I stopped playing that game as soon as they started singing. I just couldn't stop laughing and it broke all possible tension from there out.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kokoro Wish posted:

I stopped playing that game as soon as they started singing. I just couldn't stop laughing and it broke all possible tension from there out.

When I watched a cool duder stream/record it (OverTheGun) he had to warn the stream about that. "Ohhhhh dudes, probably the most cringe-ful thing I've seen this year about to happen. Ohhh I wish they wouldn't."

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
That new Kitty Horrorshow game that came out about the house, I think it's called Anatomy? Any recommendations for it here? I'm playing spooky games with -*my girlfriend*- and it looks interesting, I'm trying to get her to play psychological horror games over her usual jumpscare messes and that game looks to be about right, but I don't want to waste her time if it's not great.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fatal Frame 1-3 are on sale the PSN store (at least in America) for $1 each.

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

Nice, FF3 is one of my favorite horror games of all time, but most people just go straight for FF2 or FF1. Hopefully this makes people try 3 if they hadn't already.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Not even for sale in Europe. Boo.
But anyway, I just happened to start FF1 on PCSX2 recently, and drat it I'd forgotten how effective visual and audio design in the series is. I'd barely even seen any ghosts. It's scary enough just to have it on. I'm having to force myself to continue. Sweet.

The controls though, mother of god. What do you mean sticks reverse when you're in 1st person?? NOT looking forward to when fights start to become challenging.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm sure there's an alternate control mode that plays like a normal FPS but it's been a while since I touched the first game.

Making a US PSN account and buying digital $ cards from Amazon is pretty easy if you're that bothered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Japans hatred of Europe, even in this digital age, is unacceptable and racist. Once the refugee crisis is done with their time is up.