Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Duckaerobics posted:

So someone in that thread posted a link to a list of milestones with this as the top comment:

”Pre-kickstarter”? What drugs is he on? Also, kickstarter campaign was in 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

MeLKoR posted:

What he meant is that Cymelion is frequently quoted.

oh that makes more sense. uncle derek got me so hosed up i don't know who's trolling and double donut reverse trolling who.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Erenthal posted:

Hmm, it appears that instead of removing my birthmark, the doctor is currently sawing my limbs off with a hacksaw. But since I myself have not spent 5 years in medical school I have no business telling him how to do his job! Thanks, CIG forums!

I've never shoveled poo poo, so i've got no grounds to tell you you're not doing it right by flipping the shovel around every minute and alternating between shoveling poo poo with the shovel and its handle.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sundowner posted:

haha really? it reads very much like a cultist post so i just assumed.

the thing is I have a good condenser mic with a pop filter and all that poo poo, i'm just not a good audio technician haha :P

What program do you use to record?

I got rid of my good mic and stand when my podcast ended, which was probably a mistake. We were running it through someone else's mixer though, so it wouldn't help me much anyway.

I've been thinking about picking up a decent USB microphone but (aside from SP) I have no idea what I'd actually use it for.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

orcinus posted:

”Pre-kickstarter”? What drugs is he on? Also, kickstarter campaign was in 2012.

I was a pre-kickstarter backer.

They started the crowdfunding on their own site, then did a parallel campaign through Kickstarter to help "legitimize" their campaign by tying it into the then-hype around Kickstarter, before Kickstarter itself became synonymous with "poorly thought out idea that isn't a legitimate product/business because of the following obvious reasons..."

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If you reverse reverse troll are you back to regular trolling again or is it something different?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Sundowner posted:

the thing is I have a good condenser mic with a pop filter and all that poo poo, i'm just not a good audio technician haha :P

Your spoken audio is absolutely fine, if anyone wants these all cleaned, polished, normalised and compressed stick them up somewhere when they're all finished and I'm more than happy to do it. Also what are they for?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Sundowner posted:

oh that makes more sense. uncle derek got me so hosed up i don't know who's trolling and double donut reverse trolling who.

I am exactly the same, I have no idea what or who is real any more. Some of these guys are so far out I have a hard time believing any of them are real, until someone posts Bunnyman.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

runsamok posted:

They started the crowdfunding on their own site, then did a parallel campaign through Kickstarter to help "legitimize" their campaign by tying it into the then-hype around Kickstarter, before Kickstarter itself became synonymous with "poorly thought out idea that isn't a legitimate product/business because of the following obvious reasons..."

^ this. Also an RSI pre-kickstarter backer.

After it hit kickstarter, poo poo got mental and it was just a case of hang on and see where this shitshow goes. I did toy with dumping the LTI for...what...$140, but that would mean giving up a ringside seat for the gaming event of the last five years.

Edit: Poe's law is a hell of a thing.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Beet Wagon posted:

What program do you use to record?

I got rid of my good mic and stand when my podcast ended, which was probably a mistake. We were running it through someone else's mixer though, so it wouldn't help me much anyway.

I've been thinking about picking up a decent USB microphone but (aside from SP) I have no idea what I'd actually use it for.

i was just using Audacity with a USB mic (audio technica at2020). i've had my mic for pffff 5 years now? i did LPs and poo poo for a while so i've had reason for it. generally i just use my headset mic if i'm chatting with people but for any real voice over stuff i'll break out the beefy one.

it's a surprisingly good mic for being part of a £30 ~gaming headset~ (tritton kunai)

SomethingJones posted:

Your spoken audio is absolutely fine, if anyone wants these all cleaned, polished, normalised and compressed stick them up somewhere when they're all finished and I'm more than happy to do it. Also what are they for?

you sound like you know what yer talking about! the stuff i uploaded is just samplers for potential voices for characters in Solar Plebian. if i end up contributing any voice work to it i'll be re-recording it with a little more effort in the technical side but i still only know the basics so you could help with that.

e: in fact it was just referring to this https://soundcloud.com/sundownersa/war-of-the-forums rather than the actual voice acting one which does sound fine. i purposefully over-processed the dumb war of the worlds parody to get that spoopy jeff wayne timbre and in the process all the plosivez blew up.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 16, 2016

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yes clearly this is just a case of the internet, and goons, being against star citizen because we are meanies.

And not because it's a laughing stock of vaporware preying on gullible nerds

Will be interesting to see the continued influx of new guys as the dominos continue to topple and people wake up from the fever dream. show us where sc touched you on this doll....

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sundowner posted:

It is as Neitzche said, "And if thou troll long into an abyss, the abyss will reverse troll into thee." :aaa:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

I am exactly the same, I have no idea what or who is real any more. Some of these guys are so far out I have a hard time believing any of them are real, until someone posts Bunnyman.

You rang?

Sundowner posted:

i was just using Audacity with a USB mic (audio technica at2020). i've had my mic for pffff 5 years now? i did LPs and poo poo for a while so i've had reason for it. generally i just use my headset mic if i'm chatting with people but for any real voice over stuff i'll break out the beefy one.

it's a surprisingly good mic for being part of a £30 ~gaming headset~ (tritton kunai)

you sound like you know what yer talking about! the stuff i uploaded is just samplers for potential voices for characters in Solar Plebian. if i end up contributing any voice work to it i'll be re-recording it with a little more effort in the technical side but i still only know the basics so you could help with that.

I'm actually pretty impressed with the mic in my Corsair headset, but I'll probably end up picking up at least a Snowball at some point, because I enjoy buying gadgets. And actually I do miss recording stuff.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

That's not nearly enough white paint.

Stolen Pallor.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Yeah, i see no similarities between SC and Darkout either.
Darkout is a fully playable game without glitches and a decent design.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

the gently caress...?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

runsamok posted:

Hav posted:

^ this. Also an RSI pre-kickstarter backer.

Okay, but he said he backed it "pre-kickstarter" *after* the Kickstarter.

Kickstarter campaign started in late 2012 and ended around Feb 2013.
He says he backed it "pre-kickstarter" on Feb 2013.

orcinus fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 16, 2016

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sundowner posted:

aight here's my take, it's a rough take to give you an idea of the voices but i can do proper clean recordings if you end up wanting to use em

https://soundcloud.com/sundownersa/star-plebian-barky-and-compy

e: just realized you said to email you, i shot an email along anyway but i guess it's funny to share this anyway

and here's a bonus just for the thread

https://soundcloud.com/sundownersa/war-of-the-forums

Dude, your Barky Barktona is loving awesome! If you could, get me the lines in .wav at 24bit/48kHz, and I'll edit them and do some post processing. I'll share a draft with the class this week.

Speaking personally, I still laugh my rear end off that some shitizen did a lore seriouspost where the hero hailed from the great city of BARKY, on the planet BARKTONA. Like, I seriously die every time I think of it.

Also, on a personal level, this community is loving amazing. There is so much talent and generosity here, and people willing to contribute to each other's projects. I mean, compare this with RSI forums. Or reddit.

Sincerely,
Barky "Bon Bon" Barktona

I still need help with is callsign.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

orcinus posted:

Two years ago he was wearing a:
http://kristiankiel.com/automatic-movement/challenger-automatic/

Nice upgrade. $600 => $6000.
I applaud the evolution of his taste, tho, Portugieser is one heck of a watch.

No. The Portugieser is a $16K watch. And depending on when he bought it, could have cost about $20K.

Sunswipe posted:

Strange that he's spending so much on watches but can't deliver his game on time.

Backers are paying for it; since that's his sole source of income.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

Barky "Bon Bon" Barktona

PML

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
My kitty is not much for jumping.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

Dude, your Barky Barktona is loving awesome! If you could, get me the lines in .wav at 24bit/48kHz, and I'll edit them and do some post processing. I'll share a draft with the class this week.

Speaking personally, I still laugh my rear end off that some shitizen did a lore seriouspost where the hero hailed from the great city of BARKY, on the planet BARKTONA. Like, I seriously die every time I think of it.

Also, on a personal level, this community is loving amazing. There is so much talent and generosity here, and people willing to contribute to each other's projects. I mean, compare this with RSI forums. Or reddit.

Sincerely,
Barky "Bon Bon" Barktona

I still need help with is callsign.

Pls read your PMs :)

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

No. The Portugieser is a $16K watch. And depending on when he bought it, could have cost about $20K.

Depends on which one and how you buy it.
Sure, you can get the white gold or red gold ref for around $20k.

But a plain, black dial, SS one you can get for $6-$8k.

In any case, it's an order of magnitude away from the watch he was wearing 2 years ago.
(Which doesn't necessarily mean anything, but is funny nonetheless.)

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Sundowner posted:

e: in fact it was just referring to this https://soundcloud.com/sundownersa/war-of-the-forums rather than the actual voice acting one which does sound fine. i purposefully over-processed the dumb war of the worlds parody to get that spoopy jeff wayne timbre and in the process all the plosivez blew up.

It sounds absolutely fine and clean, try sticking a huge loving duvet over your head and your mic when you come to do the real thing (serious), your levels etc are fine. The closer you are to the mic the bassier your voice will sound.

Offer of post production audio stuff stands for all the solar plebian voice acting, I'm sure it will be pure hilarity and an absolute joy to do.

edit - looks like poots has it under control, if you need any help poots let me know

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 16, 2016

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

try sticking a huge loving duvet over your head and your mic when you come to do the real thing

Not sure if advice for Sundowner or Chris Roberts.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

That's a sweet acoustic!
I am in the process of buying one myself, I went trying some yesterday.

Pic of new guitar though:

I love it!

Flamed maple :swoon: very beautiful.

I told myself no electric guitars until I get as good as Segovia. There's a slim chance that won't happen in which case I'm gonna get a gretsch electromatic, i thought that's what you had at first glance. Love those f holes

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

It sounds absolutely fine and clean, try sticking a huge loving duvet over your head and your mic when you come to do the real thing (serious), your levels etc are fine. The closer you are to the mic the bassier your voice will sound.

Offer of post production audio stuff stands for all the solar plebian voice acting, I'm sure it will be pure hilarity and an absolute joy to do.

I might take you up on that. Gonna give the "Compy" script a shot tomorrow night.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

1. Its not really burning your account when it takes a disgruntled videogame developer calling in a favour on the other side of the world to check a database to verify the authenticity of a twitter account. It's more "Wow, Derek Smart is really weird".

2. This does explain your viewpoints on what constitutes trolling.

3. :lol::lol::lol:

Not really. He could have safely kept his troll account if he didn't respond to me after I revealed that the Vietnam vet thing was bogus.

Also, since you all keep ignoring it, he copped to owning the account here in SA, all on his own. That has nothing to do with the Vietnam vet reveal - at all. Since I've had him ignored for weeks now, I had no clue it was his until someone excerpted his admission. By that time, he had already taken the initiative - all on his own - to burn the account by admitting to owning it. That was all on him. Nobody made or forced him to do it.

And why am I disgruntled? Just because I took issue to the fact that I immediately spotted a farce? Isn't that what we do? Or do I have to be famous or infamous to get the disgruntled tag for doing the same poo poo you all do?

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Toops posted:

thank you! i'll get them done ASAP and give you a couple of takes to pick from too!

and yeah, SA is p great despite the poo poo it gets from every other community. it might have edge cases of being bizarro but for the most part my experience has been that people here are decent and, importantly, self aware (edit: for the most part, uncle derek :allears:)
(which i think is a HUGE thing when it comes to how a given community works, not being aware of yourself (the CIG forums and the reddit) is a huge red flag).

i mean just this week a kind goon offered to replace my dead GPU with a card that's actually an upgrade because they understood the tough spot i'm in having been laid off recently. so i hope to pay that forward some day soon, and in the mean time i'll have a functioning computer again. i've never experienced that sorta thing elsewhere.

orcinus posted:

Not sure if advice for Sundowner or Chris Roberts.

pretty sure it's also just good life advice in general.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 16, 2016

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

peter gabriel posted:

That's a sweet acoustic!
I am in the process of buying one myself, I went trying some yesterday.

Pic of new guitar though:

I love it!

HRrrrrgh

Love a 335, such a good hollow-body texture to the tone while being relative compact.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Moogle posted:

Yeah, it looks breathtaking. If I ever pick up a VR headset, it will be primarily for Elite - and a nice loopback to 1984 and slotting in a cassette of Firebird's Elite for the first time. Bit of a tech leap forward. Time flies etc etc yada.

Is that AS3 thing really so criminal? Scaleform is based on Flash, after all.

Mind you, having had to work with AS3 a while back, I don't mind if it returns to the third circle of hell.

We use Iggy (by Radgametools). Costs less than $6K, has all the same bells and whistles, not a performance hog - and uses Flash for content creation.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Beet Wagon posted:

I might take you up on that. Gonna give the "Compy" script a shot tomorrow night.

It's best if it's all processed the same way by the same guy, that way it all fits together. I didn't know Poots was an audio guy and was already all over this. But if Poots needs any help or resources just shout.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

If there's one thing I know, it's that Derek Smart is extremely gruntled.

e:

SomethingJones posted:

It's best if it's all processed the same way by the same guy, that way it all fits together. I didn't know Poots was an audio guy and was already all over this. But if Poots needs any help or resources just shout.

Sweet, thanks! I'll just send it straight to Toops then.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Norefund14days posted:

Just bought it. Also purchased a x52 pro. Looking forward to playing even though the grind will be fun im sure.

Then you probably want to read this:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26644

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

D_Smart posted:

Not really. He could have safely kept his troll account if he didn't respond to me after I revealed that the Vietnam vet thing was bogus.

Also, since you all keep ignoring it, he copped to owning the account here in SA, all on his own. That has nothing to do with the Vietnam vet reveal - at all. Since I've had him ignored for weeks now, I had no clue it was his until someone excerpted his admission. By that time, he had already taken the initiative - all on his own - to burn the account by admitting to owning it. That was all on him. Nobody made or forced him to do it.

And why am I disgruntled? Just because I took issue to the fact that I immediately spotted a farce? Isn't that what we do? Or do I have to be famous or infamous to get the disgruntled tag for doing the same poo poo you all do?

It's simply an issue of there being a one-way mirror in place during the event. We knew in advance what was happening because we could see your epic cavalry charge coming. By the time you burst through the glass claiming victory, we were already all laughing because we were watching the whole thing play out in real time. It's really nothing more than that. So from our perspective, you have to admit that's pretty loving funny.

We set a trap for Sandi and the brown sea, and nobody was expecting one of our own to take the bait, much less with the intensity and determination that you did. Coming here to show us how you outed a faker was loving awesome, especially since the post came right after pages and pages of us linking the twitter argument with quotes like "OMG Derek is coming after me". The twitter screenshot you linked was literally already linked just a few posts up the page. You were totally in the zone.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 16, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Derek's posting has given him a 5 star wanted level in the UEE and upon his arrest he will be put into a shame cube for 10 irl hours.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Sundowner posted:

aight here's my take, it's a rough take to give you an idea of the voices but i can do proper clean recordings if you end up wanting to use em

https://soundcloud.com/sundownersa/star-plebian-barky-and-compy

e: just realized you said to email you, i shot an email along anyway but i guess it's funny to share this anyway

and here's a bonus just for the thread

https://soundcloud.com/sundownersa/war-of-the-forums

The chances of any suit coming from smart, are a million to one (they said)

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

D_Smart posted:

Should have been obvious when Leonard Skinly is an anagram of Sandy Lore Link.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pre-2.0, yes. Once they launched the open alpha they received a huge shot in the arm by desperate nerds who thought they were getting something good and substantial. Thats thrown off Smart's prediction.

Also, the latest TOS change goes to May, I believe. No full release by that date shpuld mean: CIG releases financials and re-allows refunds (lol)

None of which they will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

D_Smart posted:

None of which they will do.

Well, isn't their stance that a significant portion of the game is out anyway?

• Locked thread