Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

GaussianCopula posted:

As for Sweden, they didn't really do a whole lot during WW2, if you wanted to give a Scandinavian country their own focus tree it would probably be Finnland.

Well, I was just wondering if Paradox could refrain themselves for giving Sweden a little leg-up, it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Enjoy posted:

Goddamnit Paradox, programmable electronic computers were invented by the British government, not some profit-seeking capitalist

Collectivist does not equal egalitarian. And individualist does not equal egotistical.

It becomes pretty clear when you look at the explanation and modifiers for the two ethics. We talked about it earlier, but collectivists put the good of the collective ahead of the good, needs and right of any single individual or smaller or larger group of individuals making up the collevtive, that could very well be a society that sees slavery as necessary and acceptable by way of how it furthers the good of the collective even though it denies rights and goods to select (or all) individuals.

Individualism on the other would put needs and right of any single individual and each citizen as a group ahead of the advancement and good of the collective. This view leaves much less room for justifying and accepting slavery.

As for science it's a bit trickier, but it kind of works there as well if you consider that such a collectivist ethos as described might be a lot more cautious in experimenting socially and scientifically out of concern for disrupting the balance of society and the cohesion and power of the collective. Whereas those stressing the importance of individuals would not be as concerned by that and be more ready to welcome the ideas and opinions of every member of society.

Once again. Collectivism is pretty clearly not supposed to be egalitarianism.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Go back to D&D

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Keep in mind these sliders need to represent things like insect hive minds and the Borg, not just the spectrum of human politics.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kavak posted:

Keep in mind these sliders need to represent things like insect hive minds and the Borg, not just the spectrum of human politics.

Yeah, they are alot more vague than that. Which in my view is pretty good.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If I can't play a sentient honeybee hive that flies around in giant spaceships that look like Marge Simpson's head then what's the point in even releasing the game?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

THE BAR posted:

Are any Scandinavian countries getting any unique trees?

Yes. Sweden gets the larch, Norway the pine and Finland the Douglas fir.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

double nine posted:

Yes. Sweden gets the larch, Norway the pine and Finland the Douglas fir.
:golfclap:

I could see Finland and Sweden getting their own trees eventually; Finland because their stubborn ability to stay alive in the face of the weight of the Soviet Union and Sweden because of their armed neutrality.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Stellaris clicker looks like the least well-thought out promo possible.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

I could see Finland and Sweden getting their own trees eventually; Finland because their stubborn ability to stay alive in the face of the weight of the Soviet Union and Sweden because of their armed neutrality.

What about Norway and our merchant fleet? That one was actually pretty important to the whole Allied war effort. Though it might as well be depicted with an event that grants Britain additional convoys in the face of Norwegian capitulation to Germany.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I want to know what the Luxembourg tree is going to end up like.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I wonder how many focus trees for Mighty Serbia will be modded in

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Monday May 9 is a really weird day to release a game, last time I took Wed-Fri off for an early week game release I got burned so I'm going to make the next weekend after the 9th a four day weekend instead. :getin:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Antti posted:

Monday May 9 is a really weird day to release a game, last time I took Wed-Fri off for an early week game release I got burned so I'm going to make the next weekend after the 9th a four day weekend instead. :getin:

May 5th is a Holiday in most of Europe. Many people string free days together and take the whole week off, or just May 7th to make a long weekend. There's probably both internal and external logistics at play here.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

YF-23 posted:

The Stellaris clicker looks like the least well-thought out promo possible.
Releasing a mainstream clicker as a promo for an entry into a family of the most hardcore niche clicker games imaginable seems like a strange choice, yeah.

e.

zedprime posted:

If I were a betting man, I'd say HoI4 for D Day, and Stellaris at the end of September.
I was right 1/2 in the most delightful way possible, assuming the Stellaris release doesn't blow up.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 16, 2016

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Antti posted:

May 5th is a public holiday in Sweden and alot of people get Friday off too.

Edit: beaten

Fader Movitz fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 16, 2016

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Is the June 6th release date for HoI 4 confirmed? My memory of the livestream is that Johan said "mid-summer-ish" and then the announcer was like "so for World War 2 fans, you could say... around D-Day???" and Johan went ":shrug: sure, whatever." I mean, it's clearly somewhere near it, but is it confirmed for that exact date?

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
They announced it on the Paradox forums as June the 6th so yes.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

They should release Stellaris on May the 4th. There's a long weekend after that for a lot of people in Europe, plus it's Star Wars Day.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Another 30 minute video on Stellaris, with Quill18. This isn't a pre-made save, they start from the begining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go-WHiRqEMg

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Grillfiend posted:

They should release Stellaris on May the 4th. There's a long weekend after that for a lot of people in Europe, plus it's Star Wars Day.

So you want their staff to work nonstop during that long weekend instead of right after when they would be refreshed?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tuskin38 posted:

Another 30 minute video on Stellaris, with Quill18. This isn't a pre-made save, they start from the begining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go-WHiRqEMg

I'm glad yesterday I posted "I wish some nerd like quill would get a beta copy to do a LP" and here it is. Hooray, this will tide me over.
Ah it's only a visit-play. I was hoping they just gave him the game so he could do like a 20 part LP series like he did with x-com and the MOOBOOT

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bold Robot posted:

May 10, 2016.

I'd like to point out that I almost exactly nailed the Stellaris release date back in December.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

vyelkin posted:

If I can't play a sentient honeybee hive that flies around in giant spaceships that look like Marge Simpson's head then what's the point in even releasing the game?

Would it be possible for you to research better jokes? The ones you have seem really out of date and ineffective.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

zedprime posted:

Releasing a mainstream clicker as a promo for an entry into a family of the most hardcore niche clicker games imaginable seems like a strange choice, yeah.

It looks completely bland and from trying it out it looks like it would take a humongous investment in time to get anything out of it. It feels kind of insulting that they put unlockables for the game in there.

Help me out here, it's normal that I have almost zero progress towards the first planet thing with like half an hour of activity in this thing, right? It feels bugged, but at the same time I don't see any reason it would be.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I'm glad yesterday I posted "I wish some nerd like quill would get a beta copy to do a LP" and here it is. Hooray, this will tide me over.
Ah it's only a visit-play. I was hoping they just gave him the game so he could do like a 20 part LP series like he did with x-com and the MOOBOOT

Have another where hes actually controlling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5rmqiyxxjY

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tuskin38 posted:

Have another where hes actually controlling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5rmqiyxxjY

Why do they need to film them selves blocking out a corner of the screen?? Why youtubers, why?? I get you look like a pudgy nerd, I'm interested in the game not your face.
Oh man that lady is annoying, did quill bring his mom and step brother or something?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 16, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

GaussianCopula posted:

You are right of course, China is not a major but the USA are. As for Sweden, they didn't really do a whole lot during WW2, if you wanted to give a Scandinavian country their own focus tree it would probably be Finnland.
Don't troll.

Bort Bortles posted:

Denmark needs a special one that allows the player to continue playing as the Danish government/people even after being conquered by Germany, based around choosing the right kind of cakes to serve to German troops allowing one to save more Jews.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

YF-23 posted:

It looks completely bland and from trying it out it looks like it would take a humongous investment in time to get anything out of it. It feels kind of insulting that they put unlockables for the game in there.

Help me out here, it's normal that I have almost zero progress towards the first planet thing with like half an hour of activity in this thing, right? It feels bugged, but at the same time I don't see any reason it would be.

From what I understand it is more of a collective effort - so everyone clicking contributes to the progess. Apparently it will take ~90 million clicks to get to the first planet. I don't see anyone doing that themselves but there are some very stupid and very lonely people out there.

Of course I didn't know this last night and tried to see if I could do anything myself. Eventually I resorted to holding the mouse with one hand and slamming down on the left button with the other like it was an arcade machine. I eventually filled that circle bar thing but nothing happened and I just gave up.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Fader Movitz posted:

May 5th is a public holiday in Sweden and alot of people get Friday off too.

Edit: beaten

Yes, it's in Finland too, but that means I want the game before the holiday, not after it. (Yes I realize they will be gone from the office and want to support it when it launches etc. so they can't launch it the previous week.)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It's the day of the Ascension, it's gonna be a public holiday for pretty much all of Europe.

Don't you get Jesus holidays in America?

e: The weekend following that is gonna be pretty sweet though. Pentecost is on the 15th (A sunday) this year, which means that the 16th is gonna be a public holiday (at least in Norway), and the 17th is Norwegian Constitution Day (also a holiday).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 16, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Randarkman posted:

It's the day of the Ascension, it's gonna be a public holiday for pretty much all of Europe.

HA! Holidays, he says...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Randarkman posted:

As an American I would like to know what is a holiday?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Bort Bortles posted:

As an American I would like to know what is a holiday?

A time to get some great deals, obviously.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/54761881

Today's HOI4 stream, singleplayer. Starts around 16 minutes in.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I'm going to play the gently caress out of Stellaris.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Disco Infiva posted:

Game needs to come with a (possibly drunk?) mom to make cat jokes your entire play through.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Disco Infiva posted:

Agreed: Just from that video with quill18 and the two other dudes, the game looks fun, and huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Psychotic Weasel posted:

From what I understand it is more of a collective effort - so everyone clicking contributes to the progess. Apparently it will take ~90 million clicks to get to the first planet. I don't see anyone doing that themselves but there are some very stupid and very lonely people out there.

If Valve can make a stupid clicker game then so can we, damnit! :colbert:

(I assume some nerds will make auto clickers and leave them on all night and normal people can just click a few times and reap the benefit)