Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Dabir posted:

Actually griefing is cool and good.

it's good and seeing a thread full of people you'd expect to cry about it crying about it is also good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If they enjoy it then you're not ruining their fun so what's the problem? Are you saying it's impossible to ruin someone else's fun? Or that it's the other person's fault if you ruin their fun?

I'm saying there's not a problem. Other people itt seem to think there's never a scenario where deliberately trying to play objectives counter to the stated objective of a game is fun. I was offering my game-playing group as a counter example and people resorted to "you must like family guy" as some sort of incredible super-slam on me for having friends that are apparently better humored than his.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
To be fair at first you were offering it as an example of you ruining other people's fun so that might have given people the idea that your friends did not have a very good time when you did it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Granted I phrased it a bit poorly.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Family Guy is one of my favorite TV shows (for leaving reruns on at low volume in the background and not really paying attention to)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

JT Jag posted:

Family Guy is one of my favorite TV shows (for leaving reruns on at low volume in the background and not really paying attention to)
My favorite SA related thing is that gif showing everyone reacting to one of those cut a way pop culture gags and being really into and going "I remember that!! Hahaahahah"

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I'm saying there's not a problem. Other people itt seem to think there's never a scenario where deliberately trying to play objectives counter to the stated objective of a game is fun. I was offering my game-playing group as a counter example and people resorted to "you must like family guy" as some sort of incredible super-slam on me for having friends that are apparently better humored than his.

I love how you're trying to dis on my friends here, like I'm exactly like you except my friends don't put up with my poo poo. I don't go out of my way to make sure everyone around me has a bad time for kicks. That's not fun for me and I really, honestly think less of you as a person for sticking to your guns on this.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Granted I phrased it a bit poorly.

If by "poorly" you mean "100% the opposite of what you claim to actually mean." Also, I still don't actually believe your friends have any fun playing with you. It sounds a lot more like you're telling yourself you're enriching their play experience by being an element of chaos because the alternative is acknowledging that you're an emotional toddler.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Griefing is funny.

This is not debatable.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Poor grief-fans haven't seen a good grief for years, have to resort to rewatching these old classics over and over again to remember times gone by.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Only one episode left before we move on to The Fight and Zone of the Enders!

Drunk Metal Gear History #4.....Baldurdash.....Libsyn/RSS feed

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

MGS2 as a game is disappointing. As a set-up for late plotlines though, it's amazingly funny. Nobody expected Raiden to become the fabulous cyborg vigilante ninja he is today.

Still stings that it was the last game you get to play as Youngish Snake in. Also the last time we get to hear Cam as Liquid.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Chip Cheezum posted:

Only one episode left before we move on to The Fight and Zone of the Enders!

Drunk Metal Gear History #4.....Baldurdash.....Libsyn/RSS feed

Was The Fight recorded immediately after Drunk Metal Gear History?

Also going to be sad to see this feature go as I enjoyed this feature a lot.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

The Fight was recorded earlier in the day before Drunk Metal Gear, I think. I'm very excited for people to learn of the Brothers Marv, though. I don't think a story that tragic has ever been told through interpretive video game performance before.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
No drunk Revengeance? :(

I hope the next time the pair of you get together you get wasted again and do Revengeance and MGSV.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
As I remember it, we did talk about Revengeance that night. But, I also remember that chair spin taking less than half as long and being much more graceful.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
For years I have wondered what the gently caress was up with Revolver Ocelot's ghost-possessing arm and it never occurred to me the real reason.

Holy gently caress this series is awesome in the dumbest ways, thanks for all this Chip. Another years-old mystery finally cleared up for me.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

General Ironicus posted:

As I remember it, we did talk about Revengeance that night. But, I also remember that chair spin taking less than half as long and being much more graceful.

I was growing very concerned watching your maneuver.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

We sum up Revengeance pretty quickly at the end of the final episode, but I think we do it justice.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ironicus you cannot hold your alcohol.
Chip, good on you you dwarven blooded good fellow.

Also I hold this not-environmental cleanup platform hostage until this is added
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaLQCwtBu2w

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 16, 2016

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's
Good lord, the drunken progression of Ironicus is killing me. He started as if he were a professional interviewer, and has now ended up spinning on his chair, kissing the mic, and planting his face on a poster.

Also, watching both Chip and Ironicus passively playing with the mesh cup holders in the chairs in every video.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Just... .

Demonbait
Apr 14, 2014

If MGSV had more than one boss, this could have been a new Love Deterrence.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I remember being 13 (?) and speculating on 3 watching those half hour long digest trailers . Did anyone ever link The Sorrow to being Ocelot's Dad prerelease due a common link in ghosts

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
"I don't think [Watch_Dogs] is that bad a game." - Chip Cheezum, Let's Play Watch_Dogs episode 1

"I loving hate Watch_Dogs!" - Chip Cheezum, Drunk Metal Gear History episode 4

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

kalonZombie posted:

"I don't think [Watch_Dogs] is that bad a game." - Chip Cheezum, Let's Play Watch_Dogs episode 1

When we are inebriated, we are at our most truthful state.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
A whole segment on MGS2 and no talk of Stillman KILLING HIS SOUULLLL or the increasingly awful Emmerich family history as Otacon refuses to call his sister by name while she dies in front of him?

Oh well at least Voidburger was kind enough to edit in Snake and Otacon's super amazing high-five bro-hug.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's pretty rad

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

TwoPair posted:

A whole segment on MGS2 and no talk of Stillman KILLING HIS SOUULLLL or the increasingly awful Emmerich family history as Otacon refuses to call his sister by name while she dies in front of him?

Oh well at least Voidburger was kind enough to edit in Snake and Otacon's super amazing high-five bro-hug.
It's even the Konami Code in hand gestures cuz they're SUPER NERDS!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

kalonZombie posted:

The Dazzling Addar Effect

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm still sad that all the crazyness of MGS2 was "fixed" in MGS5 instead of being embraced and topped.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

A shame that something like MGS2 will never happen again, not with the way information gets leaked out so easily these days anyway.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

A shame that something like MGS2 will never happen again, not with the way information gets leaked out so easily these days anyway.

This makes mgs2 all the more special imo. It's really cool the way mgs2 has been vindicated over the recent years

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I still really dislike MGS2 from a gameplay standpoint, and the game's plot seems really rushed in the last act, but I don't think it's a bad game, per say.

That being said it's still my least favorite MGS game (though the plot is still better than 5's).

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

TwoPair posted:

That was Chip, not me!

To be clear: I did the preliminary editing. When Chip was overwhelmed and having trouble starting post-production of Drunk Metal Gear (it was HOURS of footage), I offered to whittle it down to the useable parts (cuz dangit, I wanted to see this video series, too).

So my duties on this series was to cut the footage down to only the funny parts/the parts talking about Metal Gear, cut out bathroom breaks (and huge tangents about that one actor from The Fantastic Four movie), and make a list of places to put game footage and jokes. So I'd suggest "Boss footage here, we haven't seen her in this video, people might want a reminder of what she looks like" or "game footage somewhere in here, it's been a while since the last time we saw some" or "romantic anime background or a little floating heart when Ironicus kisses the mic here?" or "label this hiccup" or "spell drunk mispronunciation phonetically."

I did the most work on the first video, like 90% of the editing was me (Chip chose music and added a few clips later, and somehow missed the flab-grab I put in there). However, I don't know poo poo about the MGS games that came out before MGS1! Since Chip has WAY better recall of ALL of Metal Gear's cutscenes (even in the first vid, it was taking me too long to find them in the hours-long "game movies") he took over that part after the first episode and is now the one in charge of selecting the actual clips/finding them/putting them in the video. He's also the one who is editing the jokes themselves into the video (wolverine, shiny raiden, kernel gee shaking around, kissy heart, etc.) Me doing like 90% of the work on the first video probably motivated Chip to see the project as less of an overwhelming thing, because he got way more involved after that first video (also the drunkeness increased over the course of the videos, so it's easier to edit dumb jokes into them as they went on).

So yeah, basically, the process is: I get the video first and chop it to bits and suggest jokes/footage placement, then it goes into Chip's hands and he assembles the rest, animates the gags, puts in the music, etc.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

ftfy

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Spec Ops did a pretty good job of it

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sapient Afro posted:

Spec Ops did a pretty good job of it

It's not really the same. Sure, if you get spoiled on how Spec Ops shakes out you won't be surprised at the end, but it still stands on its own. MGS2 used a whole goddamn media campaign leading up to the release to lie about what it even was. If that had leaked, not only would it weaken how effectively the game explores its themes, but it'd have been a PR nightmare too.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Spec-Ops really worth playing, maybe I should try again on Easy and just check out the story. It just feels kind of like a generic shooter at the early bits despite the kind of cool setting of sand filled office buildings. How long is the game?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Not too long. I think I'd put it at around 8-10 hours roughly if you're taking your sweet time. The gameplay isn't too exciting however.

There's a good lp here though if you don't want to play it, with bonus effort posts to read after you finish watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's not really the same. Sure, if you get spoiled on how Spec Ops shakes out you won't be surprised at the end, but it still stands on its own. MGS2 used a whole goddamn media campaign leading up to the release to lie about what it even was. If that had leaked, not only would it weaken how effectively the game explores its themes, but it'd have been a PR nightmare too.

Spec Ops did the same thing, advertising itself as a generic shooter. While "You actually play as someone other than Snake" makes a tidier spoiler than "It's actually a contemporary video game adaption of Heart of Darkness that serves as post-modern deconstruction of modern FPS games and the militarized culture that spawned them", both games wouldn't have been as impactful if their twists got spoiled ahead of time.

• Locked thread