Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

RB Dragons decks were playing THOPTER ENGINEER in the 3 drop slot because they didn't want to play her so much.
No, RB Dragons decks played Thopter Engineer because Thopter Engineer is good, silly. It's Flamewake Phoenix that was just "well we need a flying three drop."

I played Drana in that deck with plenty of success in place of Flamewake though, especially once I started seeing a lot of decks with fliers that would eat my Flamewake due to the attack clause. Drana has a lot of synergy with that deck, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Uncharted Realms, Magic Story

* Jace rides through the woods of Innistrad on a horse. He has acquired a new coat. He's telling his guide all about this trials and tribulations with Liliana Vess much like an annoying guy at a bar. The guide gets so annoyed by this he turns into a werewolf and tries to live the dream of murdering Jace. Jace tries to use illusions on the werewolf pack that shows up, but it doesn't work, so he creates solid Phantasmal Bears and hits them, which also doesn't really work. He then invades the werewolf's mind and makes them fight each other before reaching the gates of his destination and his his telekinesis, a power he didn't have last week, to unlock it and keep the last werewolf away.

* Jace finds himself surrounded by zombies, who take him to their master, Liliana. Lili is in full-on smuglord mode and tells Jace how much he sucks and how she refuses his help. Jace tells her about the Gatewatch and admits she probably doesn't give a gently caress. Jace is correct: Lili doesn't give a gently caress. He tells her that he needs to find Sorin Markov, and she sells Sorin as the biggest badass ever who could and would kill them both. Jace says "fine, gently caress you I'm heading for Markov Manor." Lili gets upset because Markov Manor is full of the bad guy vampires but Jace is planning to go there anyways. She tries to intimidate him with a zombie attack, which doesn't really work. He says he's going anyways, and she tells him to stay the night, which causes Jace to immediately get hopeful he's gonna score. Instead he has to sleep in a dungeon.

Here lies Jace, he never scored

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Elyv posted:

code:
Rise From the Tides
5U
Sorcery
Put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield for each instant and/or sorcery card in your graveyard. 

This is really good. It's a legit win condition for a Limited U/B or U/R control deck, and maaaaaybe playable in constructed? There's a bunch of ways to mill yourself.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lets Pickle posted:

This is really good.

Man I wanna draft that in a self mill deck. You only need like 3-4 spells in your graveyard for it to be great.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It seems WOTC wants to push 'spell self-mill' in draft .

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

mandatory lesbian posted:

Here lies Jace, he never scored

I already made that exact joke. :argh:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lets Pickle posted:

This is really good. It's a legit win condition for a Limited U/B or U/R control deck, and maaaaaybe playable in constructed? There's a bunch of ways to mill yourself.

They come into play tapped, the translation that first came out doesn't say that, but they do. It's probably chaff even in limited.

As for Jace, I don't think he's really that good - he's basically a blue variant on Ob Nixilis, but even that card saw very little play. If U/W is the control deck of choice, maybe, but even then I would suspect they'd prefer to just drop Ojutai. If you're U/B, I think Ob Nixilis is better because Ob Nixilis doesn't kill your Jace, Telepath Unbound. In either case I don't think he's great. Ob Nixilis barely saw play as it is. I think this is a card you see in a control list as a 1-of, maybe even a 2. 5 mana walkers are in a weird spot where they don't seem to have the tuning on them good enough for them to see as much play as you'd imagine, whereas the 6 mana ones tend to be come from behind win conditions (like Elspeth or Chandra) and the 4 mana ones have a lot of utility.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 16, 2016

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

sarmhan posted:

It seems WOTC wants to push 'spell self-mill' in draft .

Is this a bad thing? It owned in INN 1.0.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Is this a bad thing? It owned in INN 1.0.
No it's a cool/good thing. This limited format already looks spicy and we're missing most of the pieces.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

The only reason there wasn't a ton more whining about Sigarda in limited was that AVR limited was so terrible no one played it.

It's one of several dozen things that sucked about it, besides Mist Raven and Ghostly Flicker in the same color and rarity, Soulbond Monstrosities clogging the ground, etc.

In a normal limited environment Sigarda would be the thing that ruins a draft occasionally. In AVR she's just yet another colossal mistake on the already giant pile.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Sickening posted:

If you are wanting to play drana and don't have them, this is your last call to get them for under 10 bucks for a little while. MTG finance grognards are already discussing specs openly this morning, so this is something that is probably already on its way up.

If you don't want to play this card and vampire decks isn't something you feel like you will want to play, hold on to this card if you already have it until its closer to 20 bucks. Hell, this card could net you khans fetches in value very quickly in shops with big standard crowds the closer to rotation we get.

Thanks for the advice. I just emptied out my savings account and invested in Dranas. Bring on rotation!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

whydirt posted:

I already made that exact joke. :argh:

sorry, i don't read posts

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'm actually illiterate, i just hit the keys at random and hope everything comes out okay

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Sharzak posted:

i'm thinking UW since Esper will be too hard to do with the manabase, but I see where your head is at. Reflector Mage, Just the Wind, poo poo like that to let you survive til you can proc a Thing in the Ice, or just win with Topplegeist

The mana should still be good enough for shards. You have the ally duals and then the enemy man and pain lands. Plenty to get what you need. More variance without the fetches but it is what it is.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

sarmhan posted:

No it's a cool/good thing. This limited format already looks spicy and we're missing most of the pieces.

Well, they haven't really previewed any of the limited glue yet.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Whoever named Olivia must have been playing Force of Will TCG lately

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The mana should still be good enough for shards. You have the ally duals and then the enemy man and pain lands. Plenty to get what you need. More variance without the fetches but it is what it is.

We will have to see if What black has to offer is worth it I guess. If there's a 2 mana hard removal spell in black that'll be hard to pass up.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Speaking of. This weekend is probably the last chance to grab up the BFZ Duals for super cheap before they spike from Standard decks going from a bunch of 1-2-ofs (because FETCHES) to full 4-ofs.

e: I'm not saying they'll skyrocket but they'll probably creep up from the increased need.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Gyshall posted:

Thanks for the advice. I just emptied out my savings account and invested in Dranas. Bring on rotation!

As always, never invest in cardboard folks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

At first I was like "neat" and then I saw "you still pay its costs" and got sad.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Death Bot posted:

Wizards tends to lump up multiple problems into one. Real eastern mythology is off the table forever because they did it once and no one liked it* and that's why maro says Anime World is more likely than Kamigawa 2, so they can restart and make Goku

* because they did a really bad job in a few different ways

If that happens, I will be quitting magic for a block.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Sharzak posted:

We will have to see if What black has to offer is worth it I guess. If there's a 2 mana hard removal spell in black that'll be hard to pass up.

Also the new vindicate is pretty good.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Angry Grimace posted:

At first I was like "neat" and then I saw "you still pay its costs" and got sad.

Okay so it doesn't say it gives flashback, is the spell exiled after it is cast from the age yard or does it go back?

This is going to make mr UR prowess deck amazing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Okay so it doesn't say it gives flashback, is the spell exiled after it is cast from the age yard or does it go back?

There isn't going to be a UR Prowess deck without Taylor Swiftspear

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Its hard for a prowess deck to be amazing with only 1 good prowess creature.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Seems like a solid design for the sets obligatory red enchantment that doesn't do anything.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

abbot and stormchaser mage both seem ok

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Sickening posted:

There are still 2 good one and an okay one. So that's 12 creatures. There may be some prowess in this set as well.

But is gives you more gas with Jori En and expedites etc allow you to cycle through cards faster. I am going to try and see how it works.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Imagining your opponent playing the card is a weird way to evaluate spoilers.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

little munchkin posted:

Seems like a solid design for the sets obligatory red enchantment that doesn't do anything.

It's even worse than the usual ones. This one doesn't do anything in Commander. :v:

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Cernunnos posted:

Speaking of. This weekend is probably the last chance to grab up the BFZ Duals for super cheap before they spike from Standard decks going from a bunch of 1-2-ofs (because FETCHES) to full 4-ofs.

e: I'm not saying they'll skyrocket but they'll probably creep up from the increased need.

They aren't very good without fetches and we're almost certainly getting new allied duals in this set, I doubt they'll go up much at all

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It doesn't say exile it so it goes back in the GY once it resolves/is countered.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
the new lands are good.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah those dual lands that sometimes come into play untapped aren't good without fetchlands. The best allied color dual lands in the format won't see much play at all :ironicat:

I would be very surprised if they made allied duals better than the BFZ ones.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Are there actually enough people who love big dumb red rare enchantments for them to print one every set?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Magical Christmas Burn:
lightning axe, casting lightning axe in graveyard discarding madness bolt twice (4 mana)

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

They aren't very good without fetches and we're almost certainly getting new allied duals in this set, I doubt they'll go up much at all

Yea especially since 4 of these and ~20 basics is a pretty awful manabase, both value-based and consistency-wise.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

it would have cost like 6 in that case (i wish it did too, that would have been a cool card, even if still useless)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Magical Christmas Burn:
lightning axe, casting lightning axe in graveyard discarding madness bolt twice (4 mana)

If only lightning axe went to the dome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
Is that enchantment playable in modern storm?

• Locked thread