Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

peter gabriel posted:

It was a magical time.
David Braben sometime seemed to go out of his way to piss them off / go against their grognard ways.

They all proudly proclaimed 'This is NOT Elite:WoW this is Elite : DANGEROUS :smug:' and then one by one Braben lowered repair costs, ship costs, insurance costs, added route planners, make combat profitable, grouping, added PVP arenas, oh god the list goes on and on and it still is with planned loot etc, these are all things the die hards were 100% adamant would never ever be in an elite game

Edit: I remember when the game went on Steam and Frontier offered free keys to existing players and a lot of them were all 'NO THANK YOU GOOD SIR' about it :lol:

TTerrible posted:

I will never understand this whole "stop making elite fun!!" thing. How dare people enjoy combat and want more features. How very dare they.

thank feck Elite D has these fun-making features. i can't imagine what the game was like around release. i love the slow paced nature and the more cumbersome weighty flight model, i like trading and mining... so most of my interests lie in the more slow "boring" parts of the game but all of the little features you describe make it a greater whole than the sum of it's parts deal.

also that's good reflection of the Frontier forums and how loving bad they are for a totally different reason than SC's forums are. SC forums are full of delusional cultists who believe the dream whereas the Frontier forums are comprised entirely of grouchy old men who want nothing to change, and for mechanics that worked (as a result of limitations) in the 80s to be the core mechanics of the new game instead of bringing the game in the 21st century. hey wait a second that sounds familiar...

ok now this is :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF4qln6-qUw

Maybe one day Star Citizen will have this, probably by the time of E:D Season 5 :v:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
My favourite E:D forums posts were the ones complaining about the christmas community goals to deliver snowballs to Hel station to reward new players with ships. The more snowballs delivered, the better the free ship.

• The GOONS smashed the goal so it is automatically bad because GOONS are bad.
  • Mumble mumble bootstraps new players should grind mumble
  • Delivering SNOWBALLS to HEL?? reall?? my immersion!!! Mods?

jfc.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Ballard of Leonard Skinly was pure magic :allears:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
TommyNoble was punished with a week long probation recently. I'm not sure what the trigger was but this is a good post.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6449823/#Comment_6449823

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

My body is ready.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

TTerrible posted:

I will never understand this whole "stop making elite fun!!" thing. How dare people enjoy combat and want more features. How very dare they.

It's the same subset of gamers that like Wildstar unironically and that FFXIV was better with Tanaka as the lead.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sundowner posted:

thank feck Elite D has these fun-making features. i can't imagine what the game was like around release. i love the slow paced nature and the more cumbersome weighty flight model, i like trading and mining... so most of my interests lie in the more slow "boring" parts of the game but all of the little features you describe make it a greater whole than the sum of it's parts deal.

also that's good reflection of the Frontier forums and how loving bad they are for a totally different reason than SC's forums are. SC forums are full of delusional cultists who believe the dream whereas the Frontier forums are comprised entirely of grouchy old men who want nothing to change, and for mechanics that worked (as a result of limitations) in the 80s to be the core mechanics of the new game instead of bringing the game in the 21st century. hey wait a second that sounds familiar...

ok now this is :psyduck:

The game at release was frustrating, especially since I didn't know Frontiers intentions, it felt like you were stuck being a delivery driver if you wanted to do anything at all.
You had to courier crap around for days to make money to have fun for a day.

So you would go off and make maybe 150,000 space dollars, that would cover your insurance twice over, so congrats you can now go and have fun for a night and die twice before you face bankrupcy and have to go hauling fish around.

Meanwhile all the groggiest of space grogs were all :smug: as gently caress because they were rich and getting richer 'Maybe this isn't the game for you :smug:' was the order of the day for months. It was around this time I got a forum ban ha ha.

Then the changes started :laugh:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

It's the same subset of gamers that like Wildstar unironically and that FFXIV was better with Tanaka as the lead.

I'm sorry I don't speak anime.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

peter gabriel posted:

I've said it before but I only bought this heap of poo poo for VR.
THANKS CHRIS

For me going to triples changed the way I game. It made a massive impact with it. So if VR is the next level I understand why everyone is so hyped and why I am as well.
This along with a few other games (sims) and strafe were my VR games. I heard Alien Isolation is also excellent.

Anything with a little hype behind it CR will try and latch is sad rear end wagon to it - gotto keep the whales throwing money at him or they realize everything he says is a lie. Too late for me but hopefully not for others!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Playing the free trail, the only graphics options are low, med, high. Really? Are they just going to handle options last? Are there any changes I can make to the config file?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Mirificus posted:

TommyNoble was punished with a week long probation recently. I'm not sure what the trigger was but this is a good post.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6449823/#Comment_6449823

Not Tommy Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6450781/#Comment_6450781

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6451487/#Comment_6451487

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

intardnation posted:

For me going to triples changed the way I game. It made a massive impact with it. So if VR is the next level I understand why everyone is so hyped and why I am as well.
This along with a few other games (sims) and strafe were my VR games. I heard Alien Isolation is also excellent.

Anything with a little hype behind it CR will try and latch is sad rear end wagon to it - gotto keep the whales throwing money at him or they realize everything he says is a lie. Too late for me but hopefully not for others!

Alien Isolation I stopped playing, it's all well and good feeling like you are really there until 'there' is making GBS threads yourself crammed in a cupboard for hours

It's Star Citizens crates all over again

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The economy is already in and working, it is just not implemented yet :psyduck:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

Just like the FPS Cover system that CR said would be in 2.2

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
drat it you're all making me wish i had the fat stacks to go VR.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Daztek posted:

Just like the FPS Cover system that CR said would be in 2.2

not to mention all the content supposedly in SQ42 that we just haven't seen yet and for some reason isn't in the PU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Cryengine is now free and comes bundled with a FPS made by Illfonic :laugh:

https://www.humblebundle.com/cryengine-bundle

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:eyepop:

That looks so much more exhausting than jumping for a 2.5 kg catte

She is a munchkin, so her short little legs can't make that jump.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sundowner posted:

drat it you're all making me wish i had the fat stacks to go VR.

Buy a google cardboard for :5bux:

Download KinoVR on your phone and computer.

Play a game and start KinoVR on your computer, which streams your screen onto your phone with head tracking.

Makeshift Oculus Rift for 5 dollars. :3:

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

any interest in an alien language for solar plebeian?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

peter gabriel posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Grr

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

Cryengine is now free and comes bundled with a FPS made by Illfonic :laugh:

https://www.humblebundle.com/cryengine-bundle

Toops should grab some of these for SP

These are usable in any engine

quote:

Plants and Shrubs
Trees
Environment Props
Prototyping Kit
Textures, Decals, & Visual Effects
Audio Kit
Vehicle Pack SE
City Pack SE
Weapons Pack
Vehicle Pack HQ
City Pack HQ
Character and Animals

Madison Pike, LLC Asset License

E: http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2016/03/15/Inside-The-CryEngine-Humble-Bundle.aspx

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

SirPhoebos posted:

Hardcore gamers are pieces of poo poo tbh

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Scribbled on a bar napkin, aka complete and working but not implemented.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Only if it sounds like wo yeah no dip uh

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
If you're obsessed about any relatively inconsequential activity or interest to the point where you get angry if people don't enjoy it you're probably a bit of a knob.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

TTerrible posted:

Only if it sounds like wo yeah no dip uh

first then we must established what "ya whoah did ehp did eh woh did" means in his native tongue.

but absolutely the alien language should be this.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Make it someone speaking English in a regional British accent (Cornish, Brummie, something like that) that everyone insists is a foreign language.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

It's actually building the economic history, you numb-scull!

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6468658/#Comment_6468658

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'll have whatever he's having.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It's not connected to the PU and I have no proof of it even existing but it has been running for quite a while. You just have to have faith.

They are offensively stupid.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Well I stand corrected

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TTerrible posted:

It's not connected to the PU and I have no proof of it even existing but it has been running for quite a while. You just have to have faith.

They are offensively stupid.

No you see it is running on another server

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
Any of you guys have grandmothers with dementia I could scam into letting me steal their bandwidth so I can download a 30gb patch 31 times a month? This is normal.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Instead of Leonard tweeting out that screenshot of the elderly abusing shitizen we should have made a fake twitter account for Goonius D. Goon and posted it to sandi along with a line saying something about being a veteran of some obscure war.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Can't tell if this guy is role-playing a CIG Developer or he legit actually thinks he is one.

e: reading this thread with tabletop simulator minimized but I can still hear the main menu music and it makes this thread x10000 better if thats even possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

No you see it is running on another server

Locked in a cupboard with no ethernet generating *~historical transactions~* for the *~AI inhabitants of the verse that will outnumber us 9 to 1~*

• Locked thread