Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I recommend Druid, Enchanter, Shaman, Necromancer, Magician in that order.

You must have a druid main character and also live in a world of lies.

We need more wizards because you retarded druids can't TL me to bind point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Sweet, I was leaning towards making a caster. I'll probably start playing around Easter since I have to get my Titanium disks from my parents house.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Yea wizard leveling isn't that hard. I quad kited pretty much from 34 --> 58.

dakuroot
Sep 22, 2003
^________^
I rolled a Wizard for my first character on Blue. First 20 levels sucked dick. After that it was smooth sailing with quad kiting.
Also I have made so much money from selling teleports and TLs that I can twink any other character I want now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its not that its hard so much as just immensely dull in a game that already takes years to level in.

I mean if you really want to play MMO Everquest as a single player kiting simulator, go ahead and play wizard, although at that point just play bard.

I like soloing on occasion, so classes like druid and shaman are fun, but you gotta be able to join a camp group once in awhile.

Wiz and War are both great at max level but good luck getting there.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Warrior works great if you have a significant other getting into the game with you for a permanent duo. A Warrior and cleric/shaman duo basically never have to wait for a group because you are the group.

Warriors are just dull as dishwater though.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

DeathSandwich posted:

Warrior works great if you have a significant other getting into the game with you for a permanent duo. A Warrior and cleric/shaman duo basically never have to wait for a group because you are the group.

Warriors are just dull as dishwater though.

Warriors kind of get trashed on for being a one-dimensional class, but playing the class well comes down to a bunch of individual decisions you can make with your group/raid. In all fairness, simply being in a class where "don't die" was pretty much the major role added a bunch of excitement to the game and opportunities to tank in zones during Kunark that some groups often failed in. It's really not that bad, but having to compete with Paladins and Shadowknights for aggro while leveling is always an annoyance.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Ain't that the truth. I just got my War alt to 51 after soloing him from 1 --> 50 as a dumb dumb self-imposed challenge (thanks CoF and Fungi though).

I kind of want to continue AFK soloing him while I'm at work and stuff but don't really know where to go now.

Sphear
Jan 13, 2011

Just jumped back into this after 11 or 12 years. Rolled a bard on Blue, named Svearos if anyone wants to shout at me!

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Warrior is a top tier class if you plan on raiding in everquest. Warrior is a lovely class to roll if you don't raid.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
I don't think anyone says necros are the best at solo anymore. Bards can be considered best if you're saying "best solo" means being able to level the fastest. I started with a Bard wanting to group, though, and that didn't work out, so I went back to playing necro. Because I can group, and I can solo from 1-60 if I want, and it's always fun in either case. They're just boring at raids... but honestly most classes are, anyways.

Shaman at 60 with Torpor is hands down the best solo class. They take down some incredibly tough stuff with relative ease compared to other classes. Bards can solo dragons in WW as well, but not how Shamans do it. Lodizal and the rest a shaman can do? I'm not sure it's possible without something high enough around to charm. That's how I rate my "best solo class". Necromancers are best - at high level - soloing smaller targets, but quickly and efficiently in dungeons, with utility to engage, survive, CC, the works. At least in Howling Stones I don't ever see a single other class constantly soloing in the south wing, where the nicer drops are. Yeah, it's just one place, but SOE didn't give us very many places to use the tools we have at these levels. Later on down the line I remember Veksar being fun. KC basement is possible, though not fun at all.

No one mentions duo, either. Put my necromancer with a decent shaman and we can do so much together. I'm not 60 and duoed fire giants in solb with one, and killed Tranix and Magi. He doesn't even have Torpor yet. Only a few days ago we were doing Paebala rats in Dragon Necropolis, even cons to me at 58, along with a cleric. But honestly, we didn't need the cleric, he was just a friend.

Same goes for a Shammy/Enchanter duo (from what I've heard and imagine), and a Enchanter/Necro duo. A lot of fun, and lots to kill.

A cool thread to check out - even though it's dated - is the Solo artist challenge thread on the p99 forums. Listed with duos and trio accomplishments too. One bard on the solo list. The clerics and warriors listed there almost certainly used puppet strings, so I wouldn't even count them personally. It's from Kunark though. I hope someone makes a Velious updated one sometime soon.

I twinked up a rogue now, just because sometimes I feel lazy as gently caress. He's level 18 already thanks to that deece halfling xp bonus.

pepito sanchez fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 18, 2016

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

pepito sanchez posted:

I started with a Bard wanting to group, though, and that didn't work out,

Why didn't that work out?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

pepito sanchez posted:

I don't think anyone says necros are the best at solo anymore. Bards can be considered best if you're saying "best solo" means being able to level the fastest. I started with a Bard wanting to group, though, and that didn't work out, so I went back to playing necro. Because I can group, and I can solo from 1-60 if I want, and it's always fun in either case. They're just boring at raids... but honestly most classes are, anyways.

Shaman at 60 with Torpor is hands down the best solo class. They take down some incredibly tough stuff with relative ease compared to other classes. Bards can solo dragons in WW as well, but not how Shamans do it. Lodizal and the rest a shaman can do? I'm not sure it's possible without something high enough around to charm. That's how I rate my "best solo class". Necromancers are best - at high level - soloing smaller targets, but quickly and efficiently in dungeons, with utility to engage, survive, CC, the works. At least in Howling Stones I don't ever see a single other class constantly soloing in the south wing, where the nicer drops are. Yeah, it's just one place, but SOE didn't give us very many places to use the tools we have at these levels. Later on down the line I remember Veksar being fun. KC basement is possible, though not fun at all.

No one mentions duo, either. Put my necromancer with a decent shaman and we can do so much together. I'm not 60 and duoed fire giants in solb with one, and killed Tranix and Magi. He doesn't even have Torpor yet. Only a few days ago we were doing Paebala rats in Dragon Necropolis, even cons to me at 58, along with a cleric. But honestly, we didn't need the cleric, he was just a friend.

Same goes for a Shammy/Enchanter duo (from what I've heard and imagine), and a Enchanter/Necro duo. A lot of fun, and lots to kill.

A cool thread to check out - even though it's dated - is the Solo artist challenge thread on the p99 forums. Listed with duos and trio accomplishments too. One bard on the solo list. The clerics and warriors listed there almost certainly used puppet strings, so I wouldn't even count them personally. It's from Kunark though. I hope someone makes a Velious updated one sometime soon.

I twinked up a rogue now, just because sometimes I feel lazy as gently caress. He's level 18 already thanks to that deece halfling xp bonus.

You can absolutely group with a Bard too, casters love your mana song and melee loves the extra haste. You bring buffs and downtime reducers on top of crowd control, some light melee, and some of the most potent GOFAST in the game.

Bards, shamans, and necros all fall into different styles of soloing really:

- Bards level and grind money off the sheer volume of relatively weak, non named mobs they kill simultaneously. You won't get the big fancy drops from named mobs or dungeons, but you can make a killing off dropped cash and gems/research mats/vendor loot.

- Necro soloing is a beast of efficiency. Your DoT spells are some of the most damage efficient in the game, you get a long duration snare and fear on top of a pet to serve as a buffer between you and the bads, you recover your mana at the cost of your health, and you recover your health by stealing it from the enemy. Worse comes to worse, you feign death and try again. In groups most mobs don't live long enough for your DoT efficiency to really come into play, but you are an excellent mana battery and can still do some rough damage.

- Shaman soloing really doesn't come into it's own until closer to the endgame, but when you get there hoo boy. You're whole schtick is to buff up, torpor yourself, slap a -70% slow on the enemy and go HAM on whatever you're fighting. You're incredibly durable by endgame, you eat your own rear end for mana, and you bring some of the most potent buffs and debuffs in the game on top of some allright healing and DoTs. Groups love you

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

khysanth posted:

Ain't that the truth. I just got my War alt to 51 after soloing him from 1 --> 50 as a dumb dumb self-imposed challenge (thanks CoF and Fungi though).

I kind of want to continue AFK soloing him while I'm at work and stuff but don't really know where to go now.

I soloed a halfling warrior to 52 with worse gear than you have. You'll want a truncheon of doom for slows, it really saves on the dowtime. I stayed in DL, but you could probably do the lesser sarnaks, undead, and bees in burning wood along the DL zoneline.

I don't get the warrior solo hate. Yes, I wouldn't do it naked, or as a first character, but you can wreck things as a warrior from 1-45 fairly easily with 10-20k in gear. Crippling blows with a staff of battle or better turns mobs into paste quickly, bandage up to 50%, then pull another. I've done 3 warriors to 45 as I couldn't decide which race I liked best. 45-50, yes it sucks but still doable. After 51 gets really painful. Soloing at 52 in DL I was getting 2-2.5 blues an hour killing blue drolvarg ragers, brutes, and petrifiers. I've started grouping in KC due to bards taking all the DL mobs.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

DeathSandwich posted:

You can absolutely group with a Bard too, casters love your mana song and melee loves the extra haste. You bring buffs and downtime reducers on top of crowd control, some light melee, and some of the most potent GOFAST in the game.

Bards, shamans, and necros all fall into different styles of soloing really:

- Bards level and grind money off the sheer volume of relatively weak, non named mobs they kill simultaneously. You won't get the big fancy drops from named mobs or dungeons, but you can make a killing off dropped cash and gems/research mats/vendor loot.

- Necro soloing is a beast of efficiency. Your DoT spells are some of the most damage efficient in the game, you get a long duration snare and fear on top of a pet to serve as a buffer between you and the bads, you recover your mana at the cost of your health, and you recover your health by stealing it from the enemy. Worse comes to worse, you feign death and try again. In groups most mobs don't live long enough for your DoT efficiency to really come into play, but you are an excellent mana battery and can still do some rough damage.

- Shaman soloing really doesn't come into it's own until closer to the endgame, but when you get there hoo boy. You're whole schtick is to buff up, torpor yourself, slap a -70% slow on the enemy and go HAM on whatever you're fighting. You're incredibly durable by endgame, you eat your own rear end for mana, and you bring some of the most potent buffs and debuffs in the game on top of some allright healing and DoTs. Groups love you

This just made me think about the overall design paradigm for the classes when they created EQ. I know we all joke about the "vision", but obviously people sat and thought about what skills and spells each class should get, at what levels, what gear they can equip, etc. So the fact that Druids end up pretty unwanted at later levels beyond utility teleports and SOWs, that Rangers are never as badass as Tolkien and D&D would make you believe they should be, that Warriors are almost always competing unfavorably with Shadowknights and Paladins (until end game) etc. are all really interesting realities.

Has any original design documentation ever leaked? I feel like it'd be interesting to read. Obviously you can get some information from the nerfs and enhancements they made to things over the life of the game, or maybe changes they made based on the Beta, but I know after Kunark and Velious, a whole new design team took over (at least, that's what I always thought).

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
You guys are making me want to bring my 52 Shaman out of retirement :ohdear:

I raided heavily with Divinity back in the day, played my Rogue up until 58 and then someone cleaned my account out of all money and anything droppable. Didn't affect my rogue too much since nearly everything he has is nodrop, but my shaman got hit pretty hard (Hiero cloak, JB Bracers & Chest). It was a depressing blow that made me quit the server, but I'm pretty sure my characters are still there.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

This just made me think about the overall design paradigm for the classes when they created EQ. I know we all joke about the "vision", but obviously people sat and thought about what skills and spells each class should get, at what levels, what gear they can equip, etc. So the fact that Druids end up pretty unwanted at later levels beyond utility teleports and SOWs, that Rangers are never as badass as Tolkien and D&D would make you believe they should be, that Warriors are almost always competing unfavorably with Shadowknights and Paladins (until end game) etc. are all really interesting realities.

Has any original design documentation ever leaked? I feel like it'd be interesting to read. Obviously you can get some information from the nerfs and enhancements they made to things over the life of the game, or maybe changes they made based on the Beta, but I know after Kunark and Velious, a whole new design team took over (at least, that's what I always thought).

I always kind of felt like Druids suffered from "we can do everything but not as well as _" in that they can't heal like Clerics, can't DPS like Magicians/Wizards, but they offer tons of utility and buffs. I always thought them being 'unwanted' had more to do with limited group size and less to do with their kit and what was really needed at high levels to fit into a typical 6-man group.

e: "We can do everything, just not very well", as it were.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

suuma posted:

I always kind of felt like Druids suffered from "we can do everything but not as well as _" in that they can't heal like Clerics, can't DPS like Magicians/Wizards, but they offer tons of utility and buffs. I always thought them being 'unwanted' had more to do with limited group size and less to do with their kit and what was really needed at high levels to fit into a typical 6-man group.

Which wouldn't be the end of the world if they could solo better...which I guess the Charm Animal stuff lets them do a little bit, but yeah. They do have a lot of abilities that never get quite as good.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I think you're right about the dev team changing, and how you can kind of tell, though. Brad was out by what, 2001? So like, Velious and part of Luclin?

I mean, AA were really cool because it gave you a reason to keep grinding and really progress your character, but it screwed over people that couldn't play a lot/had trouble finding groups even more. I'm not really sure how they fit into "the vision", although they did give a lot of character customization/class flavor type stuff.

suuma fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 18, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

suuma posted:

To be fair, Druids were the best damage dealers of the priest classes. It was just that A) Literally everyone bar clerics could bring damage dealing to a more or less degree and B) If they got pigeonholed into main healing a group they really brought nothing else to compliment their sub-optimal healing between like a Shaman could with his buffs and debuffs. Shaman slow was one of the single best damage mitigating tools in his arsenal, it really cut back how often he had to do his weaker, non-cleric heals. Shamans also had better combat longevity thanks to cannibalize.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
necro's the best soloer if you don't want to invest a gently caress load of time and plat into a shaman. if you're rolling an alt to farm named camps and POM cards because you main a melee, necro's king. doesn't make sense to invest all the time and plat into a shaman to farm with unless you actually want to play it.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 18, 2016

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

A Strange Aeon posted:

Which wouldn't be the end of the world if they could solo better...which I guess the Charm Animal stuff lets them do a little bit, but yeah. They do have a lot of abilities that never get quite as good.

I've seen a druid soloing with animal charm in WW, doing wurms. That was pretty cool.

WW is a solo playground for druids, shamans, and bards, but necros aren't given what they need to solo there almost at all. So there's that going for those classes.

Yeah, at 60, and raiding? PotG and patch heals. But both of those things are massively more important than you might think.

edit: and yeah I'd still like to get to PoM and try some stuff. I know I could get there on my own, but there's no rush, still being level 58.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Whats a good class to always be wanted in a group then? Bard and Enchanter seemed cool, played a druid way back in the day during PoP and raided a bit with him. Only thing I didn't like about cloth casters was I thought a lot of the robes looked pretty dumb, though to be fair there were a few really cool looking ones.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Mustang posted:

Whats a good class to always be wanted in a group then? Bard and Enchanter seemed cool, played a druid way back in the day during PoP and raided a bit with him. Only thing I didn't like about cloth casters was I thought a lot of the robes looked pretty dumb, though to be fair there were a few really cool looking ones.

aside from the obvious Cleric, Shaman, Tank Class. I really like it when good rogues are in my group.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mustang posted:

I would say Enchanter and Cleric are probably the most desired group members. And yeah, any tank.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I'm looking for advice on how I can gear my 52 Shaman. I'm so out of the loop on this server (blue) since I quit well before Velious came out. His current gear is:

Face - Polished Mith Mask
Back - Cloak of Ice Bear (used to have Hiero cloak)
Legs - Jarsath Scale Leggings
Main - Spear of Fate
Off - Shield of Falsehood

Everything else is naked after I got robbed. I checked all my other characters and I found 8k, plus a Crown of Froglok Kings and Tranix Crown I could sell for extra cash. Now that Velious has been out, are there any cheap but good shaman items you guys can think of I can start out with to re-gear? I think my plan for a while will be solo the entrance to Karnors and keep an eye out for Jarsath rots.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

To be honest just plug all holes with banded/jaundiced/whatever plus HP items and you're all set to get groups where you'll actually roll on legit drops.

Nobody's going to give a gently caress you're in rags, especially with an epic/legit sob story in hand.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
The sheer inevitability inherent in a well geared level 60 shaman allows them to kill some pretty dumb stuff. High level shaman soloing works like this:

First, be level 60 and have Torpor and your epic and Malo and Spirit of the Howler (all required) and ideally Canni IV, Bane of Nife, and Pox of Bertoxxulous. That's a good 250k plat of spells and items right there. You'll also want as much HP from your gear as possible. The point I'm trying to make here is that high end soloing with a shaman requires a very sizable investment of resources before you can even really begin.

The basic foundation of shaman soloing is to combine the Cannibalize line of spells with the incredible efficiency of Torpor to create an engine that perpetually refills your mana and hp. Torpor refills 1200-1500 hp for 200 mana; Canni IV refills 82 mana for 148 hp. Combining these spells creates a positive feedback loop that keeps you alive effectively forever against many high level mobs as long as you land a slow on the mob first. Typically you Malo the mob first to lower its resists, then land a slow, then face tank it while running the torpor engine non-stop to keep your hp up. Use epic click and dogdog to slowly whittle down the mob's hp, adding in Pox/Bane as mana permits. Eventually the mob will die. It might take a while, but it doesn't matter because you have all the time in the world. A shaman is essentially immortal as long as the torpor engine keeps going.

Harder mobs require throwing in other tricks as well, but proper, efficient use of the torpor engine is always the central focus of high end shaman soloing.

On a side note, I don't think Lodizal is soloable by a shaman. His resists are so high, even after debuffing, that it's nearly impossible to deal meaningful damage to him. It would take ages to kill him, even compared to other shaman solo targets. He also hits hard enough, even slowed, that the torpor engine struggles to keep up. You have to reslow him every five minutes, and will get resists on those in the process, which further eat into your mana. Eventually you'll run out of steam. Theoretically it might be possible in a perfect world where you get a super clean engage and god rng on your resists for a really long time (over an hour), but that's never going to actually happen.

Prophecy120 posted:

I'm looking for advice on how I can gear my 52 Shaman. I'm so out of the loop on this server (blue) since I quit well before Velious came out. His current gear is:

Face - Polished Mith Mask
Back - Cloak of Ice Bear (used to have Hiero cloak)
Legs - Jarsath Scale Leggings
Main - Spear of Fate
Off - Shield of Falsehood

Everything else is naked after I got robbed. I checked all my other characters and I found 8k, plus a Crown of Froglok Kings and Tranix Crown I could sell for extra cash. Now that Velious has been out, are there any cheap but good shaman items you guys can think of I can start out with to re-gear? I think my plan for a while will be solo the entrance to Karnors and keep an eye out for Jarsath rots.

Buy two Platinum Fire Wedding Rings (+55hp each). Buy two Golden Jaded Bracelets (+15hp/mana each). Group in KC and pick up Jarsath Gloves (+20hp/mana) and a Supple Scale Armband. Buy an Ivory Imbued Collar and an Othmir Fur Cap. Contact me in game on Kefkef or Kefit and I'll give you a Dragonhide Belt I have lying around. Find your Black Fur Boots and put them on. Consider buying cheap Giant Scalemail pieces to fill out some of the remaining slots. These are all really good bang for your buck and really cheap.

You'll eventually want to buy a fungi. Absolutely nothing else will make nearly as much of a difference in the life of a pre-torpor shaman as will a Fungi Tunic. Save plat like mad, sell the Tranix crown, probably. Take advantage of your high buffed strength score to pick up and sell all the fine steel you see. Do the Sarnak Courier camp if you feel like testing your luck. For completely mindless plat grinding, slaughter goblins in SolA with your level 49 pet for fine steel and ore drops (~500p an hour). You can also try your luck with Seafuries (~1000p an hour if you consistently hold down multiple spawns at once).

Kefit fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 20, 2016

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008
Are the admins pretty intense on the no dualbox rule in here? I could really use an EC mule to sell off all my lizard stuff.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

SoUr posted:

Are the admins pretty intense on the no dualbox rule in here? I could really use an EC mule to sell off all my lizard stuff.

Yeah, unless you apply for an IP exemption, they monitor that sort-of thing. You can, however, play on both the Red/Blue server simultaneously without any special permissions. What many people do is create an EC mule for their tunnel questing and just macro their wares for however long it takes to annoy the rest of the zone.

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008
Is it just the ip address they monitor? Could I get around this with a VPN?

I'm not really looking to dualbox, just market pretty much.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Yea VPN is fine just make sure you use two separate computers

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
You can still get nailed with VPN and 2 comps, but it's less likely.

I would really recommend just taking advantage of the EC tunnel forum and stuff like this: http://www.p99auctions.com/

It's not worth losing your main account and all your cash/gear on your EC mule over.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

As a first character, I would probably avoid Warrior, Rogue, and Monk simply due to the degree that they are gear dependent and also because gameplay for them involves hitting 2 buttons every 6 seconds.
Correction; 1 button every 10* seconds :D

I managed to get a Monk (my first char on P1999) to 50 untwinked, but it was certainly a long, slow haul. It relies heavily on the in-fight bind wound trick, and you're bound to very specific areas of certain zones where the mob range and difficulty is just right. For example, SolA gnomes from 40 to 45, no earlier, and at 45 the xp is poop. I just like Monks a lot, and spell casting in old school EQ is so insanely cumbersome. Just the way you need to wait for half a second before casting after stopping movement, lest your spell will be interrupted, is so terrible.

If you make it far though, they are definitely the powerhouses of EQ, whereas melee are crippled in terms of utility.

*until hasted

A Strange Aeon posted:

I really don't think they thought very far. Remember, raiding was an unplanned concept when EQ was launched. Naggy and Vox weren't meant to be killed as they say, and grouping was just meant to be casual and un-optimized. Many things such as CH chains, FD pulling, sneak pulling, mass quest turn-in xp abuse, mob splitting, kiting, bard swarming and all that wasn't planned at all. Who knows if they even thought that people would solo quad kite; many of the other AoE spells in the game were/are downright useless. It shines through that most of the vision back then was just that people wouldn't min/max, but rather group casually and cast some helpful/damaging/utlity spells now and then.... or something.

What's truly stupid about EQ is that until well after EQ tapered off into obscurity (as WoW launched in 2004), the devs still hadn't changed any of the game basics (neither the engine nor the gameplay) nor seen the light about min/maxing or raid optimization. The dumbasses deserved to have their game "die", although these days I love EQ as a solo boxing adventure.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
/soapbox on

People who play EQ and focus on solo'ing are missing the entire point of the game and 100% are Doing It Wrong.

/soapbox off

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

On that note, my rogue solo project is going decent. I'm 8 weeks in and already level 47. My guy is completely untwinked, unlike some other heathens.

I'm also not using the bind wound macro during combat. I did use it for a few early levels, but it was making things too easy.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

moolchaba posted:

On that note, my rogue solo project is going decent. I'm 8 weeks in and already level 47. My guy is completely untwinked, unlike some other heathens.

I'm also not using the bind wound macro during combat. I did use it for a few early levels, but it was making things too easy.

What are you soloing on an untwinked rogue at level 47 if you don't mind me asking?

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Can you list where you solo'd as a rogue? I'm super curious how you managed to solo before instill doubt from 10 to 21.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Communist Q posted:

Can you list where you solo'd as a rogue? I'm super curious how you managed to solo before instill doubt from 10 to 21.

Here is the path I took my solo rogue down. This was in kunark era.

North Ro then Oasis is super easy. Random wanderers in Ro, then low level caiman then crocodiles in Oasis. At most grab a partner, don't do a 6 man group there, the exp sucks that way. You can also do field of bone then Kurns 10-21. You will probably gain 2-3 levels a day this way. At 21-24/25 the orcs in Kith forest are great exp, and you can make money selling orc scalps. At 25 I went to EK and worked up intimidation on craig spiders until 28. It's not viable now, but I did 28-34 intimidating wooly mammoths in everfrost. LOIO seems like a decent a spot for those levels now. 34-41, pirates in FV. 41-45 I was in OT fear kiting berserkers and other mobs, and got my OT hammer for later. 45-48, hill giants in rathe mountains for money. I bought my epic at 48, then did 48-51 at the 2 wandering guards outside of Oggok for great exp, however you will need jboots or sow to do them efficiently. I stopped punching myself in the dick at 51 and grouped in KC to get my rogue to 53, although I would painfully solo stuff outside KC when the groups weren't biting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Here's some of the path my untwinked Monk took if it helps. I forgot some of the ranges, but approximately:

1-14ish: Field of Bone - it doesn't get better
14-20: Kurn's. Don't leave before 20.
20-21ish: Killing will-o-wisps in EC/WC for Greater Lightstones, then turning them into the Dark Elf in Sro. Not so good xp, but it ups your faction so you can bank in Neriak (super useful for an Iksar), and gives a little xp. It's also easy and comfortable in a sunny, green, crowded zone:3
21-23: Gnolls (live and undead) in the southwest corner of EK; aviak guards in Lake Rathe; gargs in OOT
23-30: Random mobs in South Karana (got 3 peggy cloaks that way)
30-35: sisters in OOT (decent xp, and mainly the best cash camp until the 40's, which was important for me as my first char)
35-40: more South Karana random mobs
40-45: Sol A gnomes; there are lots of them, just beware of damage shields; you'll need a 2-hander and good timing.
45-50: Oggok guards (inside), intimidation kiting, bind wound abuse, and very good cash from all the Fine Steel. A monk can vendor and bank; in theory a rogue could do the same, but it would be insanely risky to go to the bank, since they have no FD.

xZAOx posted:

/soapbox on

People who play EQ and focus on solo'ing are missing the entire point of the game and 100% are Doing It Wrong.

/soapbox off
Yeah you're right, but my location (EU), personal schedule and habits just don't match up with old school EQ grouping. Too much childcare, too much AFK'ing, too much multitasking IRL. I love the living world of P99 (I played last year when there were up to 2000 people online at night - amazing to see the old zones full of life), but just like to buzz around doing my own thing.