Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

SNES is loving epic!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

In Training posted:

SNES is loving epic!!!!

Untrue.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

*makes a creaky hand motion and sneers*

i will forever defend a console which simply released arcade games all day long, thats my poo poo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

but i know its not for everyone

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

SNES is loving epic!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5FqRzUlXsg

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The Phantasy Stars are better than all pre-7 Final Fantasies.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lady Naga posted:

the SNES is a pretty mediocre console that's only as popular as it was because its competition was the loving Genesis and the Turbografx
I would agree if you said the Genesis was overrated, but lol no the SNES had a lot of great games. And I say that as someone who never owned either console and never got into the console wars.

Now the N64 on the other hand, that was an actual mediocre console.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lady Naga posted:

The Phantasy Stars are better than all pre-7 Final Fantasies.

I remember PS4 being dope as poo poo. Didn't much care for the others, though.

Still never beat it. I should probably fire it up again.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Has anyone been playing modern games? I've been playing Salt and Sanctuary and I think it's really good for what it is, which is a side-scrolling Souls-style game. The action is more fluid than Abyss Odyssey's and it's fun to string together attack combos and dodge rolls. There are some definite action-adventure touchstones, like traversal abilities that gate advancement, but so far I feel like there's usually a choice of where to go and what area to tackle. There's a huge skill tree but it mainly boils down to getting the ability to use better weapons and armor, which is a step away from the Souls series but equipment doesn't have stat requirements, so I figure it all works out. My warhammer-wielder wouldn't be able to use a sword whip in S&S anymore than in DS. I have some complaints about the UI and inventory system, and I feel like it tries too hard to be dark and grimy, like, all the time. I think a lot of the names and descriptions of things could have been punched up some (there's a number of strangely worded items, like "Bell of Return" instead of "Returning Bell", or "Ray of Searing" instead of "Searing Ray"), but those are hardly detriments. It's a timed exclusive for the PS4 for a few more days, then it hits Vita and PC. It's crossbuy between the Sony systems.

Okay, back to the 20-year old console war.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Accordion Man posted:

I would agree if you said the Genesis was overrated, but lol no the SNES had a lot of great games. And I say that as someone who never owned either console and never got into the console wars.

Now the N64 on the other hand, that was an actual mediocre console.

Even the good SNES games are just incredibly boring technical executions. The Genesis is better because even if its library doesn't play perfectly it was the only console where weird and interesting things were happening.

The N64 is also really dire even though it has the better versions of Resident Evil 2 and Nightmare Creatures.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

I remember PS4 being dope as poo poo.
It's excellent.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

Even the good SNES games are just incredibly boring technical executions. The Genesis is better because even if its library doesn't play perfectly it was the only console where weird and interesting things were happening.

The N64 is also really dire even though it has the better versions of Resident Evil 2 and Nightmare Creatures.

Super Metroid

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

dear lord. i'm one of those people who has actually played through the division in its entirety and there is exactly one gay main character (a lesbian doctor) and I think in the 100 phone calls I listened to, there was exactly one about a gay couple. But sure yeah, 80%, including all the mans you shoot

quote:

This didn't bother me at first... but it became pretty overwhelming. I'm not one of those anti-gay people. In fact, I've known and been friends with people who are/were gay. BUT... none of them threw it in my face like this game does. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been their friends.

lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Super Metroid

The greatest game of all time

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

In Training posted:

Super Metroid

this doesnt contradict anything in that post

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Stux posted:

this doesnt contradict anything in that post

*shinesparks you into oblivion*

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

In Training posted:

Super Metroid

What part of Super Metroid is weird or interesting it's literally just the first two metroids but better.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

and i love super metroid

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Genesis was sick too, don't get me wrong. But to call the SNES outright bad is odd.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

What part of Super Metroid is weird or interesting it's literally just the first two metroids but better.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

It's not a "boring technical execution" whatever the gently caress that means.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wow *sarcastic clapping* Mario jumps in Super Mario World :rolleyes: Want a cookie?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

In Training posted:

It's not a "boring technical execution" whatever the gently caress that means.

This isn't a difficult concept to grasp. I could play you the full musical scale on my guitar perfectly as fast as possible but that doesn't make it interesting or good music.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

LawfulWaffle posted:

Has anyone been playing modern games? I've been playing Salt and Sanctuary and I think it's really good for what it is, which is a side-scrolling Souls-style game. The action is more fluid than Abyss Odyssey's and it's fun to string together attack combos and dodge rolls. There are some definite action-adventure touchstones, like traversal abilities that gate advancement, but so far I feel like there's usually a choice of where to go and what area to tackle. There's a huge skill tree but it mainly boils down to getting the ability to use better weapons and armor, which is a step away from the Souls series but equipment doesn't have stat requirements, so I figure it all works out. My warhammer-wielder wouldn't be able to use a sword whip in S&S anymore than in DS. I have some complaints about the UI and inventory system, and I feel like it tries too hard to be dark and grimy, like, all the time. I think a lot of the names and descriptions of things could have been punched up some (there's a number of strangely worded items, like "Bell of Return" instead of "Returning Bell", or "Ray of Searing" instead of "Searing Ray"), but those are hardly detriments. It's a timed exclusive for the PS4 for a few more days, then it hits Vita and PC. It's crossbuy between the Sony systems.

Been playing S and S myself. Just had to put it down for now because I"m actually stuck and I am I just getting my rear end kicked in one of the sections of the game but I"m pretty sure it's progress. Also dark and grimy is sorta SKA studios thing.

Just check out their previous works.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LawfulWaffle posted:

I would like to but I've spent enough on games this month and I'm saving myself for DS3. Since the start of the year I've played through both DS2 and Bloodborne and I don't want to burn out on that kind of game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lady Naga posted:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Earthbound is a game that would be a lot better on another console where it doesn't have to deal with weird washed-out pastels and a terrible soundchip.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
ugh

ugh barfing ugh's

ugh with ugh's boiling out of its eyes

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

I know that gay people exist, I just don't want them to exist in my game!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

bloodychill posted:

ugh

ugh barfing ugh's

I agree the SNES makes me do this too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lady Naga posted:

Earthbound is a game that would be a lot better on another console where it doesn't have to deal with weird washed-out pastels and a terrible soundchip.

bloodychill posted:

ugh

ugh barfing ugh's

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
As a kid, I only ever played Jazz Jackrabbit 2 on my computer. As a result, all other consoles suck and Jazz is the best game still 20 years running.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ravane posted:

As a kid, I only ever played Jazz Jackrabbit 2 on my computer. As a result, all other consoles suck and Jazz is the best game still 20 years running.

Furry spotted

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The time between the end of the nes era and the launch of the ps2 was the dark age of gaming

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

You wonder why people don't like you, huh?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Broseph Brostar posted:

The time between the nes and the ps2 was the dark age of gaming
Actually it was the half a decade where collective hysteria resulted in everyone on the planet buying a 360 for some reason.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You wonder why people don't like you, huh?

No?

A lot of people like me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Actually it was the half a decade where collective hysteria resulted in everyone on the planet buying a 360 for some reason.

$599 was the only reason really

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

omg thank u, the snes soundchip is absolute trash, idk why people love it. its bad. its just awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Broseph Brostar posted:

The time between the end of the nes era and the launch of the ps2 was the dark age of gaming

the ps1 owned tho?

the dark age of gaming was the nes and snes eras

• Locked thread