Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

Scenario 1, every so often when the funding starts to dry up, someone at CIG fakes a $5k purchase (twice today, once yesterday).

Scenario 2, every so often somebody new arrives and makes a $5k purchase for an unreleased pc game (twice today, once yesterday).

I'm not sure which idea amuses me more.

I like the idea of Wulf and his ilk checking the funding goals every day, and dropping $5k to make CIG happy when funding's been meh for a while

e: fixed quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

I said come in! posted:

That's a good point that I hadn't thought about really. I figured it just meant that he led a team of people, but this raises some interesting questions about what it means to really be given credit as creating something when you are doing it for a paycheck with even a small team of people.

If you are listed as Producer it means one of two things.

1. You are responsible for the financials and management of a project. A purely administrative job. No creativity required.
2. You know someone that can make decisions on a project and he sells you the title "Producer" or "Associate Producer" for your contribution to the Project.

The job of a Producer has NOTHING to do with creativity or decisions on creative elements of a project. It's a pure financial and management position usually doing gently caress all or sometimes deciding how to spend the budget.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Thank you. I have been having a poo poo couple of months, but this made me laugh out loud. This game will be the best drat space paarp evar.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

peter gabriel posted:

It totally changes racing games too, you will really not like not using VR once you have in racing sims.
You can look through corners, glance over your shoulder, judge apexes, the whole trip. Anything flying / or driving is where it is at.
I have a buttkicker which is sweet, you can go into a corner, clip the kerb and then feel the kerb in your rear end, it is very cool.

I'm completely stoked to get VR and use it in iRacing. I freaking love iRacing. Personally, I think it's the second best technical achievement in the history of gaming only behind WoW. The physics are so realistic that legit pro drivers use it to practice when they can't get on the track.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Wafflz posted:

I hope croberts watches Ninja Theory do this way better than him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdQpJgLs51w

and I hope it makes him mad as hell.

This is stunning, another cool game and associated tech I've discovered from this thread. As a dev diary that video just reeks of quality production, professionalism, excitement and really groundbreaking tech. One of the devs there is so confident in their work that he proclaimed that they'd made a huge stride in crossing the uncanny valley.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Wafflz posted:

Concept to proof in 7 weeks.

This technology has far-reaching implications. I envision the technology extending into headsets that are both VR and motion capture, allowing people to project themselves physically into their games as well as simply seeing the game around them. Think about playing a multiplayer VR game where your buddies words, facial expressions, where their eyes are looking, etc., are visible in real-time in the game.

Meanwhile, the visionary Chris Roberts has delivered us this:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

lmao the black and white cat's bewildered face

amazing, thank you for posting my friend

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

SomethingJones posted:

This is stunning, another cool game and associated tech I've discovered from this thread. As a dev diary that video just reeks of quality production, professionalism, excitement and really groundbreaking tech. One of the devs there is so confident in their work that he proclaimed that they'd made a huge stride in crossing the uncanny valley.

Ninja Theory has been doing the performance capture thing well for awhile, Heavenly Sword and the Devil May Cry reboot are two others that make extensive use of it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

To be fair, everyone does everything better than Chris Roberts. It's rather funny when you look at his goals, and his statements - he's basically given the entire industry the middle finger, claimed he's going to do everything everyone else is doing, but he's going to do it right. He's going to do it better.

Now look at everything he's done. Look at the games that came out in the last couple of years. Look at the stuff coming out. Star Citizen is already outdated poo poo, and it's years from release, if it ever does release. Bad graphics, bad physics, bad netcode - just complete amateur-hour bullshit from every possible angle. He's not just being upstaged by all the companies in the world - he's being absolutely trounced.

What I love about it is that the other companies are just doing their thing - they're not stating that they're going to save gaming, or that they're gonna be better than everyone else. Only Chris is saying that. And only Chris is failing.

It makes a lot of sense once you accept that Chris Roberts is a narcissistic fraud who's only real proficiency is in convincing others to risk their money on his behalf.

EDIT: HOLY poo poo MY AVATAR IS AMAZING.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 16, 2016

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Daztek posted:

Please add a random chance when you ram something the landing gear will deploy

:lol: done.

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

AP posted:

Scenario 1, every so often when the funding starts to dry up, someone at CIG fakes a $5k purchase (twice today, once yesterday).

Scenario 2, every so often somebody new arrives and makes a $5k purchase for an unreleased pc game (twice today, once yesterday).

I'm not sure which idea amuses me more.

I know someone had a fancy funding graph so we could tell, is it possible these are 'subscriber' payments or something

who am I kidding really

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

And read your PMs, you fiend D:

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Daztek posted:

What always gets me about ED is the scale of everything

yea i've only just started learning to appreciate the size of stars. the game always drops you out at a safe distance and it so happens that distance tends to make all starts generally look the same size or smaller but if you actually target the star and fly until you're about 1000LS away from it and start taking note of the scale based on distance you really see how big those fuckers are.

i seen this on reddit today, a star in front of another star http://imgur.com/zCRvp6T

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

EDIT: HOLY poo poo MY AVATAR IS AMAZING.

that is an amazing avatar

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Scruffpuff posted:

Meanwhile, the visionary Chris Roberts has delivered us this:

Can we stop bashing this please? In the Star Citizen universe there are probably 100,000,000,000 people so one of them having a hosed up head is pretty realistic.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sunswipe posted:

Thank you. I have been having a poo poo couple of months, but this made me laugh out loud. This game will be the best drat space paarp evar.

<3

I'm glad we could bring a little light into your day.

I can't wait to assemble the whole script and show you guys. Unfortunately, I'm getting dragged down by all the animations. I'm having to sit down and really learn how to do IK animation, and it's not one of my "core competencies" so it's taking longer than usual. It's really fun when you get it work, but it's really hard to make animations that don't look like hot garbage. Anyway, the whole ship startup animation sequence won't be done this week. Wish I had a mo-cap studio...

But I do have a lot of other good stuff to show for next Monday, and hopefully I'll be able to get a first draft of the ship startup sequence done next week.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Decrepus posted:

Can we stop bashing this please? In the Star Citizen universe there are probably 100,000,000,000 people so one of them having a hosed up head is pretty realistic.
Too bad he's in the director's chair.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

SelenicMartian posted:

:boom:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

By the way, the voice acting in this is done by our very own Galarox. He's not only a pro 'shopper, he does a great posh.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Toops posted:

<3

I'm glad we could bring a little light into your day.

I can't wait to assemble the whole script and show you guys. Unfortunately, I'm getting dragged down by all the animations. I'm having to sit down and really learn how to do IK animation, and it's not one of my "core competencies" so it's taking longer than usual. It's really fun when you get it work, but it's really hard to make animations that don't look like hot garbage. Anyway, the whole ship startup animation sequence won't be done this week. Wish I had a mo-cap studio...

But I do have a lot of other good stuff to show for next Monday, and hopefully I'll be able to get a first draft of the ship startup sequence done next week.

just curious but what's the extent of your game dev/coding ability? i ask mostly because i'm actually interested in it because i want to create my Best Great Space Sim Game but i don't know a lick of coding yet.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

SelenicMartian posted:

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

:five::five::five::five::five:

gently caress IM DEAD

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Toops posted:

I'm completely stoked to get VR and use it in iRacing. I freaking love iRacing. Personally, I think it's the second best technical achievement in the history of gaming only behind WoW. The physics are so realistic that legit pro drivers use it to practice when they can't get on the track.

iRacing is freaky in that it has been amazing in VR ever since the DK1 days, from the very start it was head and shoulders above everything with full VR menus and UI - it still holds up now.

Racing in VR in that is another level of good, that and ED are my top two 'full' VR games, easily.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Wafflz posted:

where are the 10 billion cameras are they doing it wrong or is CR just bad?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sundowner posted:

just curious but what's the extent of your game dev/coding ability? i ask mostly because i'm actually interested in it because i want to create my Best Great Space Sim Game but i don't know a lick of coding yet.

Learn Java. It's horrible and required in like everything for some reason.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

LMAO

Brilliant. This could have come straight out of a Douglas Adams book.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Holy loving poo poo I can't breathe!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Sundowner posted:

Download UE4 and Unity and have a play around.

UE4 is pretty and has visual blueprint programming that allows you to snap together functionality like a visio graph. If you want to modify things beyond that you'll have to dive into the C++ engine code.

Unity uses C# and has an enormous asset store with a ton of content to get you started slapping stuff together.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

:five:

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Burst out laughing while I was drinking pop, now I have to wash off my second monitor, jfc.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Ravane posted:

Learn Java. It's horrible and required in like everything for some reason.

TTerrible posted:

UE4 is pretty and has visual blueprint programming that allows you to snap together functionality like a visio graph. If you want to modify things beyond that you'll have to dive into the C++ engine code.

Unity uses C# and has an enormous asset store with a ton of content to get you started slapping stuff together.

i guess everyone learns unity these days so i was thinking of looking into the workings of that and although unity 5 looks dope i read it's only just caught up with 5 despite it's flashy new looks but... whatever, so it's caught up now right??

i know unity has produced some absolute drivel though so i dunno.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

TTerrible posted:

What's the difference between C++ and C#? I only need Python for using an electron microscope or really any other equipment.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sundowner posted:

i guess everyone learns unity these days so i was thinking of looking into the workings of that and although unity 5 looks dope i read it's only just caught up with 5 despite it's flashy new looks but... whatever, so it's caught up now right??

Well it's free. Depends on if you want to code android/ios apps or not. If you want that then you need Java, if not then all you need is C# apparently.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I wish I could remember who made that thumb head shop originally so I could give them credit. It is amazing though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ravane posted:

What's the difference between C++ and C#? I only need Python for using an electron microscope or really any other equipment.

C# is a modern, fairly safe language that runs on the .NET cli. C++ is an evolution of C and therefore dark and full of terror. Learn C#

Sundowner posted:

Yeaaaahh I've always disliked Unity. The editor drives me crazy, at one point there was UnityScript and Javascript and stuff. It's always seemed to be graphically behind everything else. It does seem to get used for a ton of terrible free games (Gaming Garbage illustrates this well) but it has potential. They've cleaned a ton of it up and made it better recently, maybe in reaction to other engines starting to go down the free route.

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 16, 2016

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Goobs posted:

Burst out laughing while I was drinking pop, now I have to wash off my second monitor, jfc.

if i weren't so embarrassingly broke rn i'd force that avatar on like 5 people include my self, it's a masterpiece talk about realist painting

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Toops posted:

I've been thinking about getting into iRacing when I get VR, but now that you've said that it's a bigger piece of poo poo than WoW, I guess I won't.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Ravane posted:

Well it's free. Depends on if you want to code android/ios apps or not. If you want that then you need Java, if not then all you need is C# apparently.

well considering i'm an ideasguy like christ roberts i'm gonna be pc only and bite off more than i can chew so i reckon unity or unreal are the best choice for me and my Absolute The Best Great Space Sim Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

If the day ever comes when this thread must breathe its last and finally be put to rest, this must be the very final thing on it. Almost choked.

• Locked thread