Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Sometimes you'll luck out on something made by Peerless too, which produces a lot of the major-label stuff like Calvin Klein (non-Signature), Ralph Lauren, etc. Their suits are largely Canadian-made and not bad fit/quality for something in the $300 range when they go on sale at the outlets.

Also, their Facebook page is a loving goldmine of poo poo like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Vulture Culture posted:

Sometimes you'll luck out on something made by Peerless too, which produces a lot of the major-label stuff like Calvin Klein (non-Signature), Ralph Lauren, etc. Their suits are largely Canadian-made and not bad fit/quality for something in the $300 range when they go on sale at the outlets.

Also, their Facebook page is a loving goldmine of poo poo like this:

I literally had to read this over 5 times, slowly, before I could make sense of the complete lack of sentence structure. Jesus.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

anthonypants posted:

Still as relevant as the day it aired http://www.hulu.com/watch/615358

Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Sprechensiesexy posted:

You don't have contracts that cover this kind of poo poo? Under influence on the job = fired.

It was in the employee handbook about being under the influence, coming to work drunk, unable to do your job, etc etc.

None of that poo poo mattered to the Labor board. It was very much "gently caress you, pay him"

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Is there a SHSC slack or discord group set up? If not, there should be :c00lbutt:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Danith posted:

Is there a SHSC slack or discord group set up? If not, there should be :c00lbutt:

Why, I don't want to talk to any of you disgusting nerdlord fuckers

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Danith posted:

Use IRC like a real nerd.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Danith posted:

There are two IRC channels on Synirc, #sysadmin and #bofh.

There are two because IT goons are drama queens.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Collateral Damage posted:

If you think #sysadmin are bad, you should try open source devs.

Jesustittyfucking christ the amount of drama that goes along with a linux fork is loving spectacular.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I click links in every ~Official Phishing Test Email~. Am I part of the problem or part of the solution?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Toshimo posted:

I click links in every ~Official Phishing Test Email~. Am I part of the problem or part of the solution?

Yes.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

And then you add in the reddit two.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Had the interview with the law firm for the "Lead Exchange Admin" today. Bullet dodged, although I wouldn't be a good fit either. They're doing an Exchange migration from 07 to 13 and want someone with firsthand experience doing that before. I've only ever done an 03 to 07 and that was at a simple one node site.

The current IT team is definitely a beaten down bunch too. There was a crusty old lawyer/HR hybrid (I think) he was introduced as the hiring director but was also a lawyer, who the hell knows. Anyway it was a pretty typical technical interview, BS about past experience etc. It was pretty clear from both sides that we weren't a good fit but then the HR guy would interject and ask about "late night email emergencies" and "messages getting blocked". I gave generic answers and you could just tell that the IT people in the interview had a look of shame on their faces. I was almost afraid to answer because it almost seemed like whatever I said was going to be used against them by the HR guy once he had a problem sending a large file attachment or something.

Oh and after the migration they wanted to move this job over to their IT security team? So I guess they're looking for a Exchange/IT security expert which is a weird mix. Probably better off just hiring a short term contractor.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Had the interview with the law firm for the "Lead Exchange Admin" today. Bullet dodged, although I wouldn't be a good fit either. They're doing an Exchange migration from 07 to 13 and want someone with firsthand experience doing that before. I've only ever done an 03 to 07 and that was at a simple one node site.

The current IT team is definitely a beaten down bunch too. There was a crusty old lawyer/HR hybrid (I think) he was introduced as the hiring director but was also a lawyer, who the hell knows. Anyway it was a pretty typical technical interview, BS about past experience etc. It was pretty clear from both sides that we weren't a good fit but then the HR guy would interject and ask about "late night email emergencies" and "messages getting blocked". I gave generic answers and you could just tell that the IT people in the interview had a look of shame on their faces. I was almost afraid to answer because it almost seemed like whatever I said was going to be used against them by the HR guy once he had a problem sending a large file attachment or something.

Oh and after the migration they wanted to move this job over to their IT security team? So I guess they're looking for a Exchange/IT security expert which is a weird mix. Probably better off just hiring a short term contractor.

I am sure they have tried and figured out that expensive short term contractors have less motivation to take a lot of poo poo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Why pay for a short term contractor when you can pay less for an FTE while promising them all sorts of benefits that they'll never reach since you're just going to sack them in 6 months anyway.

~At-will.txt~

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
"Well as a lawyer I mainly handled patent cases, but then expanded over to business and real estate law. It shouldn't be much different for you to go from Exchange to security, it's all IT. If you can't handle it then your ambition doesn't match the expectancy of this firm :colbert: "

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The current IT team is definitely a beaten down bunch too. There was a crusty old lawyer/HR hybrid (I think)

My limited understanding is that the partners at law firms often do all the management stuff themselves (poorly, because they've had a career as lawyers, not managers). So you probably got 'the lawyer that happens to handle all the HR stuff on the side'...

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bought a suit and took it to a Tailor today, got complimented on my style choice :3:

Someday, I'd like to make enough money to just... Have tailored suits. Like more then 1, a whole closet of poo poo that makes me look like a hitman, Smiteful motherfucker. Tailor said the white gloves were a little much for an interview, which honestly he's probably right, but I'm going to wear them while driving with sun glasses. It just makes me feel cool.

What do you guys normally wear to Tech Interviews? I have another one on Friday. I never know what to say about my current job, so I just talk about what I'm doing at work currently, and the pay I'm making. I will probably leave out the "Here's 2k to install key loggers," bit.

I am getting a ton of phone interviews, but I'm flubbing them because I don't work with business systems. I'm wondering if I should stay here for a few more months and see if I can get some more learning. Especially if I get to set up the ADD system.

I got an E-mail with a list of computers that aren't working since the Windows 10 push :'( and every E-mail I've received from NOT my boss instead of my name has CT on it.

E; Question I just thought of, what happens when you interview someone whose WAY over dressed?

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 16, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
When I was searching for jobs last year I tended to wear a nice pair of slacks and an oxford button down, tie, and a blazer. Decently business looking, but not full-blown suit level. These were for tier1/helldesk positions though so ymmv. A few months ago when I was interviewing people for a position, most people ended up wearing something similar to what I described.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Know your audience. We openly make fun of people in ties. If you're working with a place which has its own internal recruiting ask them directly what typical interview attire is for your position. It varies wildly. Whatever you do, look good in it. Make sure it fits correctly, wear a belt, clothing not worn out or ripped, etc. You can never be overdressed, but you can absolutely be under dressed.

Here in Los Angeles "tech" (not business IT, but tech companies) most male candidates it's a button down, designer jeans, not running shoes, belt. If you have a sharp blazer to go with it, that. No tie, neck button undone.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

H110Hawk posted:

We openly make fun of people in ties.

H110Hawk posted:

You can never be overdressed, but you can absolutely be under dressed.

:raise:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Wear a suit unless you interview for Silicon Valley startup bros.

Return those gloves and absolutely do not wear them you probably look like a butler

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I'd rather be made fun of for being suave, than not considered for looking like a bum.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SaltLick posted:

Return those gloves and absolutely do not wear them you probably look like a butler

I found a picture of Turtlicious at his next interview:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'd rather be made fun of for being suave, than not considered for looking like a bum.

I understand the meaning of the phrase, but you can't put it right after "We will insult you if you are overdressed."

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

lol no one in this thread looks suave

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Please please please wear white gloves and a fancy suit to a loving IT interview lmao

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

SaltLick posted:

Return those gloves and absolutely do not wear them you probably look like a butler socially inept high school student at prom without a date

But seriously it depends on location. West coast I'd probably follow the no tie advice. In the midwest, wear a tie. Don't wear a suit jacket unless your interview is on the 40th floor or above.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 16, 2016

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please please please wear white gloves and a fancy suit to a loving IT interview lmao

I really want to do this now. Cane and everything.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I really want to do this now. Cane and everything.

Dress for the job you want to have.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I'm sorry sir, I can't hire you because I don't think you'd be a good fit with our corporate culture. You had a chip in your monocle and we can't have that kind of bum-rear end scrubbery representing our elite batch of Computer Janitors.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I mean, maybe wearing the gloves would be a good thing since every fucker and their loving mother wants to talk about WHITE GLOVE SERVICE.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, maybe wearing the gloves would be a good thing since every fucker and their loving mother wants to talk about WHITE GLOVE SERVICE.
Not to mention how loving disgusting most people's keyboards and other peripherals are. Maybe they should be talking about RUBBER GLOVE SERVICE.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

We will openly make fun of you / joke around about the tie, we will silently reject you if you are wearing a ratty slackware shirt, cargo pants with a hole in them, and flip flops. Don't bother showing up socks and sandals. You rock a tux (hand tied bow, cumber bun, suspenders, well tailored, and you own all of the above) and you basically get a pass on technical deficiencies.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

SaltLick posted:

Wear a suit unless you interview for Silicon Valley startup bros.

My current job at the ski resort told me, after they made the offer, "Don't wear a suit here ever again!"

They were joking, of course, but it does prove you should know your environment prior to interviewing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I wear a suit unless I'm specifically told not to.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

When did the second one come about?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

psydude posted:

When did the second one come about?

When the first one got pissy about people talking about this thread (and the tickets thread).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Dress for the job you want to have.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
A project manager scheduled a meeting in the middle of the evening. I have a wife and a newborn, this is not something we negotiate, I don't work in the evening. If you need me to do something at 2am, I will be the first to volunteer, because that gives me the cover I need to flatly refuse any work when it is family time.

Her: "I did not realize you took the evening for family time"

Well god drat son I didn't know I had to tell you something like that. I also take Saturdays and Sundays off if I'm not on call, hope this isn't too big of a shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This was Methanar's uniform on that first day outside