Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrYenko posted:

It means a car with no real personality. Probably beige. It's EXTREMELY descriptive of the Volt.

Anyone using it to describe a GTR or 911 is a loving idiot, but that doesn't mean it's not a meaningful description of something else.

The Volt has way more personality than say, the Corolla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A Corolla has plenty of personality, it just depends on how hard you drive it.

Of course, that personality is mostly "would you please stop doing that?", but it's personality nonetheless.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

A Corolla has plenty of personality, it just depends on how hard you drive it.

Of course, that personality is mostly "would you please stop doing that?", but it's personality nonetheless.

I can confirm that a Prius has no personality though, regardless of how it is driven.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Linedance posted:

I can confirm that a Prius has no personality though, regardless of how it is driven.

I enjoyed driving a third-gen Prius in Vegas about seven or so years ago on those dusty roads, flooring it everywhere, making the back slip around, only getting 35mpg.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

A year and a half into Leafhaving and even post test driving a Model S, it's still fun as h*ch to smack off Eco Mode and floor it occasionally.

I was sad the other day when the governor kicked in and I wasn't able to get ahead of this rear end in a top hat who wouldn't let me into a turn lane onto the freeway, I almost beat that Civic CNG gently caress :argh:

Thank you Nissan for preventing my stupid decisions from being even worse.

I cant wait to appliance the gently caress out and let the car drive in traffic for me while I watch Broad City reruns and play Pokemon instead of doing dumb poo poo because I'm bored and hate driving. Please have Autopilot in the Model 3 for a reasonable price, Elon, oh please oh please

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can't imagine why the autopilot package on a 3 would have a different price than the one on the S, unless they think they can get away with obvious price discrimination by charging S buyers more. If anything, I would expect it to get a new gen of autopilot hardware for a lower price than the current S package ($3000 to enable, though the hardware is in everything whether you choose it or not), since it's on a new platform.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Just out of curiosity, can an S get from the HQ in Fremont to the gigafactory without charging along the way? It's over the mountains and about 270 miles...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ilkhan posted:

Just out of curiosity, can an S get from the HQ in Fremont to the gigafactory without charging along the way? It's over the mountains and about 270 miles...

The 100D might be able to, but it would be a squeaker.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ilkhan posted:

If it’s new and you drove it like a granny, maybe. It’s only 258 miles via I‐680.

e: The net elevation change costs something like 9 kWh, no way around that.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 16, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Platystemon posted:

If it’s new and you drove it like a granny, probably. It’s only 258 miles via I‐680.

Mountains really hurt, though, even with the regen on the way back down.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Subjunctive posted:

Mountains really hurt, though, even with the regen on the way back down.

Yeah I added the numbers for that. It’s worse than I thought. If I recall correctly, the grade on I‐80 out of Tahoe isn’t that bad (bad being steep, braking necessary).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Subjunctive posted:

I can't imagine why the autopilot package on a 3 would have a different price than the one on the S, unless they think they can get away with obvious price discrimination by charging S buyers more. If anything, I would expect it to get a new gen of autopilot hardware for a lower price than the current S package ($3000 to enable, though the hardware is in everything whether you choose it or not), since it's on a new platform.

If Audi can cram all of that into the new A4 I don't see why Tesla wouldn't put it in the Model 3. And the more cars they have gathering real-world data, the better they'll be able to make their level 3 and eventually level 4 autonomous cars.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Platystemon posted:

Yeah I added the numbers for that. It’s worse than I thought. If I recall correctly, the grade on I‐80 out of Tahoe isn’t that bad (bad being steep, braking necessary).

It's pretty flat. Once you get onto 80 proper there are some noticeable elevation changes, but I don't know how bad "bad" has to be to really impact economy. Braking isn't really necessary.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Godholio posted:

It's pretty flat. Once you get onto 80 proper there are some noticeable elevation changes, but I don't know how bad "bad" has to be to really impact economy. Braking isn't really necessary.
Well you're going from sea level to 7000ft over Donner pass and back down to 4400ft for sparks so there are some steep sections to get over. Worse, Donner pass is deep into the route, so the regen going into Reno is at the end of the run.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drgitlin posted:

If Audi can cram all of that into the new A4 I don't see why Tesla wouldn't put it in the Model 3. And the more cars they have gathering real-world data, the better they'll be able to make their level 3 and eventually level 4 autonomous cars.

Yeah, I was thinking of the Audi, which seems to have strictly more hardware (rear radar and optical, plus the 360 parking view which, hmm, is that useful for autonomous?). Do you know what that package costs? I can figure it out from their configurer, and it doesn't look like it's in the base model.

At some point it'll be the case that Tesla's best autopilot requires hardware my car doesn't have, which will be sad and/or expensive.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I thought he meant between Tahoe and the gigafactory. Yeah towards CA is going to be a lot more elevation change.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of the Audi, which seems to have strictly more hardware (rear radar and optical, plus the 360 parking view which, hmm, is that useful for autonomous?). Do you know what that package costs? I can figure it out from their configurer, and it doesn't look like it's in the base model.

At some point it'll be the case that Tesla's best autopilot requires hardware my car doesn't have, which will be sad and/or expensive.

It's an $1800 option for the Prestige trim. The Audi will now do a few things that the Tesla won't; the adaptive cruise control is now location aware so it can handle twisty roads rather well. It won't come when you summon it though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drgitlin posted:

It's an $1800 option for the Prestige trim. The Audi will now do a few things that the Tesla won't; the adaptive cruise control is now location aware so it can handle twisty roads rather well. It won't come when you summon it though.

Someone claimed above that the S did that as well (GPS cuing speed changes), but I didn't watch the Norwegian videos about it and I haven't seen evidence of it myself.

Might be something that Tesla can add in firmware though.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

That reminds me of the Car & Driver article posted a few pages back, comparing the differnt highway autopilots now available:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/semi-autonomous-cars-compared-tesla-vs-bmw-mercedes-and-infiniti-feature

They found that the Tesla system offered the best performance despite having only one camera and one radar unit (plus the ultrasonic sensors which only come into play when lane changing and parking). That should speak volumes for what they've achieved software-wise. Though for anything where they could officially endorse taking your hands off the wheel, they probably would require something more.

I wonder if the Model 3 will be set up with the intent of eventually upgrading it to at least Level 3 autonomy. After all, its estimated release date roughly coincides with when Elon Musk has been claiming they'll be ready with just about fully self-driving cars.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cockmaster posted:

I wonder if the Model 3 will be set up with the intent of eventually upgrading it to at least Level 3 autonomy. After all, its estimated release date roughly coincides with when Elon Musk has been claiming they'll be ready with just about fully self-driving cars.

Yeah, his level 4 prediction is pretty close to the Model 3 release window. I don't know how they get to 4 without deploying 3 widely, and I'm not sure that the S has the hardware to do level 3.

Experimentation with a post-it indicates that the rear camera isn't used in parking; I thought it might be for perpendicular at least. So there's some headroom on inputs at least there. I'm not sure that ultrasonics are enough for lateral sensing. If the console display is any indication, its traffic model is currently blind to about 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock.

Does anyone use stereo cameras for depth cues?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Oh no not price discrimination against people who own luxury sports cars :ohdear:

The Model 3 is like 1/3 the price of the S and you're paying for a software license as the hardware is standard, unless it becomes an option for some reason which I doubt because they can still use people without the software licence to collect data anyway and it leaves room to upsell.

It'd make sense to only charge $1000-1500 as it'd be about what those of us who are getting a model 3 would more likely throw in with purchase, whereas $2500 is basically pissing away your state rebate. They'd sell more than 2x as many packages at more than half the S price most likely.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boten Anna posted:

Oh no not price discrimination against people who own luxury sports cars :ohdear:

I didn't say it was bad. When you charge different groups different prices, often because of signals that one group is less price-sensitive, it's called price discrimination. It happens a lot, such as with short-notice airline tickets, but it's not usually as obvious as it would be in the case of a major S/3 Autopilot pricing difference.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
The ability to unlock it after the fact is actually genius. Even if it's a more price sensitive market that balks at paying for it upfront, you'll still get a ton of owners paying to enable it a year or two down the line.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It also reduces the number of SKUs they have to manufacture for a pretty invasive variant, similar to how low-capacity battery models were just software restricted versions of higher-capacity models.

"Try Autopilot free for 30 days!"

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Artificial scarcity is stupid and dumb.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

blugu64 posted:

But works like a loving dream.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

drgitlin posted:

The ability to unlock it after the fact is actually genius. Even if it's a more price sensitive market that balks at paying for it upfront, you'll still get a ton of owners paying to enable it a year or two down the line.

I mean, I'd rather pay $2500 as a part of a 5 year loan than all at once so I'll probably get it with the car even if it costs that much, but I also have an obnoxious commute right now and it's easy to imagine passing on it for budget concerns then being real tempted to plunk it down after the 4th 45 minute delay this week.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

blugu64 posted:

Not if you're a job creator.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boten Anna posted:

I mean, I'd rather pay $2500 as a part of a 5 year loan than all at once so I'll probably get it with the car even if it costs that much, but I also have an obnoxious commute right now and it's easy to imagine passing on it for budget concerns then being real tempted to plunk it down after the 4th 45 minute delay this week.

Yeah, they say "activate after delivery" but I bet they can build it into the financed price too, that's a good point.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

blugu64 posted:

That's why Tesla just loathes that dude that hacks his model S. Wonder when people are going to start rooting Model 3s

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if selling based on future software features could get Tesla in revenue recognition trouble.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jealous Cow posted:

I wonder if selling based on future software features could get Tesla in revenue recognition trouble.

They dont use gaap so they can report things however they want. They already do some shady accounting in regards to financing

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Boten Anna posted:

Isn't it actually cheaper if you activate it up front too?
e: yeah. $2500 as an option, $3000 later.

Mange Mite posted:

They dont use gaap so they can report things however they want. They already do some shady accounting in regards to financing
I think they do both, but the numbers they highlight are non-GAAP (and its always called out as non-GAAP).

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 17, 2016

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well that sounds like a shareholder lawsuit waiting to happen.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

blugu64 posted:

Mazda sells a $400 microsd card to enable GPS on the 3.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The GPS option in a Volvo XC60 is 22,000 SEK (~$2,700), which doesn't update automatically, does not have traffic prediction or detour planning, and looks like poo poo. Or you could just buy a $400 tablet with a car mount and run Waze.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh holy hell look at the page number, we forgot to

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Its ok, Tesla's battery capacity is growing faster than the page count of this thread.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jealous Cow posted:

Well that sounds like a shareholder lawsuit waiting to happen.

As long as it's clearly shown as non-GAAP and the differences are clearly defined, what would the grounds be for a lawsuit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Was a P90D cruising along beside me on I-10 yesterday. drat I love the look of that car, just no way in hell I can afford one.

• Locked thread