Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

All the talk of whiffy dialogue and such kinda makes me wanna go back to RF4, but bugger playing on a 3DS now that I've got a farmsim on a proper large screen and controller. Rats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I think the weird moaning noises always occur on rainy days, but I have no idea what its supposed to be

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

King Doom posted:

Anyone else really, really want a weapon rack or display stand or something? How am I supposed to properly impress Abigail unless I have somewhere to display my six fire katanas? What if I want to roleplay as one of those crazy American survivalists? How am I supposed to prepare for the inevitable gubmint invasion without being able to leave haphazard stacks of poorly maintained swords everywhere?

I want a taxidermy display for the legendary fish, so I can go "yeah, I caught that fucker, what of it".

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Speaking of house stuff that would be nice I wish the 2nd upgrade made all the baby furniture optional. gently caress having kids, I want to turn that space into a brewery, or a library, or pretty much anything other than a nursery I'll never use :/

I also wish there was an empty "outbuilding" available that you could upgrade for more floor space; it would make sense and I could stuff it full of kegs and have a proper space to run my boardwalk empire instead of my yard & living room

e: second upgrade. second. I'm super on point today :v:

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 16, 2016

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

flesh dance posted:

I also wish there was an empty "outbuilding" available that you could upgrade for more floor space; it would make sense and I could stuff it full of kegs and have a proper space to run my boardwalk empire instead of my yard & living room

Barns do a pretty passable job of that.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flesh dance posted:

Why not use barns?

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Wow, for some reason I didn't realize you could just have an empty one without cows, haha. All I have so far is a coop. Mind blown!

e: do they get larger on the inside if you upgrade them?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

flesh dance posted:

Speaking of house stuff that would be nice I wish the 3rd upgrade made all the baby furniture optional. gently caress having kids, I want to turn that space into a brewery, or a library, or pretty much anything other than a nursery I'll never use :/

I'd just like a basement that we can expand like the dungeon. Just add stairwells/an elevator and allow for 10 levels or so.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

flesh dance posted:

Wow, for some reason I didn't realize you could just have an empty one without cows, haha. All I have so far is a coop. Mind blown!

e: do they get larger on the inside if you upgrade them?

Sure do. The tier 3 barn is loving enormous, I think you could easily cram like 80 kegs in there.

e: and the outside doesn't change, either.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Omnicarus posted:

I'd just like a basement that we can expand like the dungeon. Just add stairwells/an elevator and allow for 10 levels or so.

This will go great with the inevitable "Kidnap Villagers" mod.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Ciaphas posted:

All the talk of whiffy dialogue and such kinda makes me wanna go back to RF4, but bugger playing on a 3DS now that I've got a farmsim on a proper large screen and controller. Rats.

Actually I think I'll go back to RF4 once I burn out on this one! Unique dialogue is definitely one of RF4's strengths, though. It took ages to run out of new and interesting things which is one of the bigger disappointments I had with Story of Seasons. But actually I'd love to play Stardew on a handheld too if it ever makes it. It's nice having it on the big screen but I find myself switching between controller and mouse or using them both together because neither control scheme is perfect. 3DS joystick with stylus would be pretty similar I think...

I find I'm talking about RF4 a lot in this thread but to be honest it's probably one of my favorite games of all time and I find Stardew to be almost or maybe even just as good, which is the highest compliment I can give really

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 16, 2016

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

Ciaphas posted:

If you're talking about the marriage dialogue and how your spouse turns into a lifeless husk, he's actually working on that and is going to do unique things for all ten of the candidates.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

nonpromqueen posted:

Ok, every time I open the game a new husband appears. This is.....interesting.

make a video w the benny hill theme music playing

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Actually I think I'll go back to RF4 once I burn out on this one! Unique dialogue is definitely one of RF4's strengths, though. It took ages to run out of new and interesting things which is one of the bigger disappointments I had with Story of Seasons. But actually I'd love to play Stardew on a handheld too if it ever makes it. It's nice having it on the big screen but I find myself switching between controller and mouse or using them both together because neither control scheme is perfect. 3DS joystick with stylus would be pretty similar I think...

CA has mentioned that he's had talks about a possible 3DS port. We'll have to wait and see what comes of it, but seems it would work well as a digital download at the least.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mega64 posted:

CA has mentioned that he's had talks about a possible 3DS port. We'll have to wait and see what comes of it, but seems it would work well as a digital download at the least.

Oh God, if that happens I'll finally buy a 3DS and never have a life again.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

XNA -> 3DS sounds like a nightmare. XNA -> Unity, which I assume would be the recommended porting line, is straight :psyboom:

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

I'd just like to drop in and report that this game is literally crack.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Blackray Jack posted:

If you're talking about the marriage dialogue and how your spouse turns into a lifeless husk, he's actually working on that and is going to do unique things for all ten of the candidates.

Mostly that, yeah. Really if I'm honest with myself I just want 3DS on a bigger screen without having to pay two hundred and fifty dollars for a guy to put in a capture card :v:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Barn breweries are the best. Make alcohol out of everything!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Breweries really seem like the easiest way to make money. Brew beer or ale in summer, wine or juice in other seasons. Only problem is you need farming level 8 to make kegs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

AG3 posted:

Barn breweries are the best. Make alcohol out of everything!

Jesus, and I thought my current setup with 43 kegs was nice. :stare:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

RatHat posted:

Breweries really seem like the easiest way to make money. Brew beer or ale in summer, wine or juice in other seasons. Only problem is you need farming level 8 to make kegs.

You also pretty much need your own sizeable tree farm if you want to be able to get enough lumber for all the kegs.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
RF4 is very very very good

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I have like 1k wood from clearing 75% of my farm, wood doesn't seem like much of an issue. When I run out of trees in my farm I'll chop down the trees in the forest and leave the stumps so they regrow.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Kyrosiris posted:

Jesus, and I thought my current setup with 43 kegs was nice. :stare:

That's so late in the game that it's pretty much just for kicks, there's nothing else to spend money on at this point. Unless I want to furnish every square of my farm with endless fortune statues.

On a related note I've been revisiting Rune Factory 3 lately (don't have a 3DS to play 4th; too bad it's not on the Vita), and while I appreciate the combat aspect of RF3 more than in Stardew Valley, the farming feels terrible compared to SV's quality of life improvements. I'm half tempted to fire up Harvest Moon: Back to Nature again which I still feel is the best HM game to date, but I'm pretty sure I'd sorely miss the improvements SV has over it.

What I'm saying is that we need SV2.

RatHat posted:

When I run out of trees in my farm I'll chop down the trees in the forest and leave the stumps so they regrow.

Don't leave the stumps; that actually prevents the trees from regrowing. Chop them down completely and they will regrow fairly soon'ish.

*Edit*
Note to self, Stardew Valley does not abbreviate to SW.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 16, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Is this guy still doing all the development lone wolf style, or has he finally put a team together now that he is at least a hundred thousand-aire.
Because if he can do this on his own I'd like to see the game he makes with a proper team.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

It really needs more late game stuff. A level of farming beyond super saiyan.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i kind of hope this goes like terraria went. original dev fleshes it out for a while, then a company buys it for millions and keeps adding content

edit: i was under the impression terrari was sold at some point but i just checked the wiki page to make sure i wasn't talking out my rear end and apparently this is not the case? well, whatever i just hope sdv keeps getting updates.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 17, 2016

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

after a while it becomes another thing entirely, with an endgame where you are building a rocket ship to farm moon melons in the sea of tranquility while building photon fences to ward off the luna slimes. the mad god yoba stirs from its cosmic slumber and summons the corruption that only you can stop with your holy light plants while joja corp works to undo all your efforts

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

So I just learned that if you wait until 4pm to go to the Luau it is already over; even though you don't get back to your farm until 10 pm :(

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Is this guy still doing all the development lone wolf style, or has he finally put a team together now that he is at least a hundred thousand-aire.
Because if he can do this on his own I'd like to see the game he makes with a proper team.

Working with a team is much harder than solo. It is very hard to get even a small number of people to care moderately about their work. Some days I spend half my time explaining for the hundredth time how to write UI code so the edges actually line up instead of being 3 pixels off. Forget getting them to do something actually complex like event flags that don't cause a million bugs. My poor coworker across the hall spent two hours this afternoon explaining to someone why he wasn't allowed to check in code that wouldn't even build.

Managing a team is also a completely different skill set then writing code.

If he does take on a team I'll certainly watch his next game with high hopes though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i kind of hope this goes like terraria went. original dev fleshes it out for a while, then a company buys it for millions and keeps adding content

Eh, only if it doesn't do the "NO THIS IS TOO POWERFUL NERF IT INTO THE GROUND" nonsense.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think I've decided to go for Abigail over Penny. While Penny is a pleasant person, likes reading and acts more like an adult Abigail is more fun and attractive, plays the flute :3:, loves rain, hangs around graveyards, doesn't suffer from depression and brings much nicer in-laws (who won't turn their daughter's old room into a brewery or distillery). :smith:

One morning I found one of my cows randomly walking around the area, wondering how the heck it got there I noticed that the fence, which connects to the backside of the barn, had broken down completely in the one square that is hidden by the barn. Since then I have planted a maple tree next to the fence so even if it breaks the path will still be blocked. Herding the cow back was surprisingly easy and I only had to demolish two pieces of fence.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

LLSix posted:

So I just learned that if you wait until 4pm to go to the Luau it is already over; even though you don't get back to your farm until 10 pm :(

Mayor Lewis always tells you the hours of the festival in his mail to you, pay attention cuz lots of them aren't all day things

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Mr. Pumroy posted:

after a while it becomes another thing entirely, with an endgame where you are building a rocket ship to farm moon melons in the sea of tranquility while building photon fences to ward off the luna slimes. the mad god yoba stirs from its cosmic slumber and summons the corruption that only you can stop with your holy light plants while joja corp works to undo all your efforts

Oh god :gizz:

Can you do anything with joja mart or is it just an alternative to the community center?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Poil posted:

Herding the cow back was surprisingly easy and I only had to demolish two pieces of fence.

You probably didn't need to do that. I think it would have found its way back at dusk anyway.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mr. Pumroy posted:

So basically cookie clicker then.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

Oh god :gizz:

Can you do anything with joja mart or is it just an alternative to the community center?

Plant grass inside and make a beautiful meadow.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

RatHat posted:

So basically cookie clicker then.

Less cookies more wine.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Poil posted:

I think I've decided to go for Abigail over Penny. While Penny is a pleasant person, likes reading and acts more like an adult Abigail is more fun and attractive, plays the flute :3:, loves rain, hangs around graveyards, doesn't suffer from depression and brings much nicer in-laws (who won't turn their daughter's old room into a brewery or distillery). :smith:

I think you're giving Pam too much credit. Penny is amazingly well adjusted for her current home life. I wonder if Pam used to be less useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

HopperUK posted:

You probably didn't need to do that. I think it would have found its way back at dusk anyway.
Oh, yeah. That would've been smarter. But would it have teleported since I wanted to repair the fence right away?

LLSix posted:

I think you're giving Pam too much credit. Penny is amazingly well adjusted for her current home life. I wonder if Pam used to be less useless.
Could be. She keeps talking about how much she wants to escape her life, how difficult is it to do all the housework (in a tiny trailer) and how she's never going to get to leave the town or experience anything else.

Mega64 posted:

Oh hey, maybe Penny has something more interesting to say.

We're very lucky to have a library in such a small town. When you're lost in a book, it's easy to forget the realities of your life.

...Sorry. I got carried away there.

...Jesus Christ, Penny.
Maybe I'm reading into it wrong but she doesn't seem very happy at all to me. Just blurting out things like that to strangers isn't well adjusted behavior. :(

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 17, 2016