Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kojei
Feb 12, 2008
Seat belts pretty much don't do poo poo for restraining even if it's "locked". You'd have to trigger the explosive pretensioner to actually hold someone in place on top of disabling the release and locking the retractor reel, and that's not something you can really do on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
To be honest, silly though it is that he didn't think to wriggle out under the belt, he was hardly in his right mind at the time, having just been blindsided by the killer a few minutes earlier, as well as being faced with imminent death on top of that. Perhaps a bit of a shame it needs to be justified that way, but oh well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Dialogue could have been a teensy bit less on-the-nose, though. 'This is my true form'? We're dealing with a small-town serial killer here, not Emperor Frieza.

Lol that part was cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sorry I watch all new shows once a week no matter when they air so I only just saw this episode. The last shot was cool

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I don't give a loving gently caress about the seatbelt

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

littleorv posted:

I don't give a loving gently caress about the seatbelt

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
What if the seatbelt was not a physical restraint, but rather one of the mind

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

"Small town" serial killer, as if the concept of a serial killer matters on the size of their killing grounds

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

"Small town" serial killer, as if the concept of a serial killer matters on the size of their killing grounds

I was more pointing out that despite the time-travel weirdness, this story has generally leaned towards a low-key, small-scale, realistic atmosphere where stuff like child abuse is treated in a painfully true-to-life way. And then we have stuff like the main villain making faces like The Grinch Who Stole Christmas and spouting JRPG villain lines without any obvious sense of self-awareness on the part of the show. There's a bit of a tonal clash there.

Maybe if they played it up as evidence of Yashiro's immaturity? Drew some parallels with our literal manchild of a protagonist? That might be neat and thematically fitting - you could further explore the desire to be 'super' in an unpredictable, uncontrollable, and often uncaring world that's blighted Satoru's life. Without that, it feels a bit too much like the show is expecting us to take something very silly seriously.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He comes across less as silly and more as mentally unstable, to me.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

satoru obviously has some heroic ideals and fondness for the idea of superheroes, see the reoccurring flashback to him with the red sentai figure, an image which im 99% sure the show has related to how he views the teacher. having him use lines that are couched in that sort of sentai hero versus villain style was appropriate

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Gaku is hosed in the head

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

satoru obviously has some heroic ideals and fondness for the idea of superheroes, see the reoccurring flashback to him with the red sentai figure, an image which im 99% sure the show has related to how he views the teacher. having him use lines that are couched in that sort of sentai hero versus villain style was appropriate

Sure, but I sort of feel like there's been this disconnect between the highly grounded setting where Satoru's superhero thing is repeatedly shown to be naive, immature, and more trouble than it's worth (he regularly gets outwitted by kids, for crying out loud), and the hammy, exaggerated evildoers like Yashiro and Mamanazuki who seem to validate his stunted, unhealthy mindset by giving him supervillains to do battle with, and I don't really feel the show has adequately addressed this yet. Like, I can see how it might do it, but it hasn't yet generated enough trust to make me feel sure that it will, if you get me. As is, it sort of feels like two shows slightly awkwardly bolted together.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
people have been terming this the normie aots, but this show is, at most, okay

normie aoty is rakugo showa of course

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Phobophilia posted:

Sounds like a normie show, ayyy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phobophilia posted:

don't sign your posts + turn on your monitor

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Is this show going to be 1 cour or 2?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

khy posted:

Is this show going to be 1 cour or 2?

1, there are only two episodes left

khy
Aug 15, 2005

dogsicle posted:

1, there are only two episodes left

Thank you.

I really am enjoying this show. I read the bit in the OP about the VA being from a drama instead of a regular voice actor, but to me it sounds pretty good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phobophilia posted:

It's the best show of the season and in running for of the year, sorry

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The Colonel posted:

don't sign your posts + turn on your monitor

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

This dude wrong as gently caress

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

It is a very good show, many people will enjoy it. Many others won't but hey that's just life. Personally I'm loving the poo poo out of it and almost literally on the edge of my seat to find out what happens next. Except I'm lying down. In bed. Still.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

You been watching Rakugo? Because that is a p. drat solid show.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

DAYOOOOOOOOON

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
This is totally in the running for anime of the year, easily.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

In Training posted:

DAYOOOOOOOOON

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I do think this show has my favorite ED in a long while

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

I do think this show has my favorite ED in a long while

Yeah, it owns

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Darth Walrus posted:

You been watching Rakugo? Because that is a p. drat solid show.

Yeah, I watched the first few episodes and thought it was good but I find it had to feel invested in a straight (no pun intended) character drama and just never really felt the urge to watch any more.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, I watched the first few episodes and thought it was good but I find it had to feel invested in a straight (no pun intended) character drama and just never really felt the urge to watch any more.

Fair enough. If you ever feel in the mood for it, though, it has continued to be extremely good. Easy AOTY material.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's quite hypnotic

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.
Not sure why people are calling out the seatbelt trap when the whole plan to trap Satoru was kind of ridiculous. So many things could've gone wrong to throw the timing off that I almost believe the killer is also a time traveler.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Sakurazuka posted:

I have been watching this, and have been mostly silent, which supports your theory.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

smidgeonnn posted:

Not sure why people are calling out the seatbelt trap when the whole plan to trap Satoru was kind of ridiculous. So many things could've gone wrong to throw the timing off that I almost believe the killer is also a time traveler.

It was a plan that gave the killer two possible outcomes that he wanted. Either Satoru doesn't come and he gets to murder the girl, or Satoru comes and he gets to murder Satoru instead.
His manipulation of children is pretty spot on considering he's an extremely intelligent, psychopathic adult. The only thing we don't know is how many crimes he's committed before since wisdom in risk assessment is essential for any murder spree.

If it happened after the turn of the century, then it could be a bit less believable, but this was the 80s maaaan.

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.
I'm referring to how he perfectly timed the laxatives, the truck leaving, and Satoru seeing it leave right after losing track of the girl.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

smidgeonnn posted:

I'm referring to how he perfectly timed the laxatives, the truck leaving, and Satoru seeing it leave right after losing track of the girl.

Does the timing really require perfection?

He knows when the truck arrives since he ordered the lunches. After that, there's no timing at all since after he gives the laxatives to the girl, she'll be stuck in the washroom for a long time.

He only needs to wait until the truck is about to leave before showing up and tricking Satoru who is waiting outside the washroom.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 16, 2016

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
If this were an American serial-killer show, they'd be going on and on about the method of murder and victim selection and how it reflects on some trauma the killer suffered.

He definitely seems to have a predilection for killing children through exposure to cold... throwing the car into a freezing-cold lake in the middle, freezing Kayo to death with his atomizer, etc... I wonder what, if anything, that suggests.

Also, given the temperature of the water, and how far away from anything resembling civilization this whole thing took place, isn't Satoru pretty well hosed, even should he manage to escape the seat belt, find something to break the window of the car, get out of the car, and swim in the right direction to reach the surface?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Kytrarewn posted:

If this were an American serial-killer show, they'd be going on and on about the method of murder and victim selection and how it reflects on some trauma the killer suffered.

He definitely seems to have a predilection for killing children through exposure to cold... throwing the car into a freezing-cold lake in the middle, freezing Kayo to death with his atomizer, etc... I wonder what, if anything, that suggests.

Also, given the temperature of the water, and how far away from anything resembling civilization this whole thing took place, isn't Satoru pretty well hosed, even should he manage to escape the seat belt, find something to break the window of the car, get out of the car, and swim in the right direction to reach the surface?
My guess his revival thing will kick in and either he'll go back to before it happened or we'll be back into the present time period

• Locked thread