Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
I miss going to dusk-to-dawn shows at the drive-thru. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, literally nobody except Lady Naga wasn't aware of all of that.

Except the cleaning crew stuff I guess.

Huh?

Lady Naga: "They charge out the rear end for popcorn because it's the only way to make money." (as opposed to profits from tickets)

Thread: "They don't make any money from tickets, it all goes to the publisher."

I don't see a contradiction here?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Huh?

Lady Naga: "They charge out the rear end for popcorn because it's the only way to make money." (as opposed to profits from tickets)

Thread: "They don't make any money from tickets, it all goes to the publisher."

I don't see a contradiction here?

this thread goes through bad, weird, periods of self-harm. a symptom of growing up in pyf

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

sweeperbravo posted:

this thread goes through bad, weird, periods of self-harm. a symptom of growing up in pyf

I'm kinda surprised we don't have a PYF: bad, weird, periods of self-harm megathread.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, literally nobody except Lady Naga wasn't aware of all of that.

Except the cleaning crew stuff I guess.

What am I not aware of?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

What am I not aware of?

I think everyone was playing another round of Pedantic SemanticsTM, a game that despite widespread popularity isn't actually fun.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

sweeperbravo posted:

I think everyone was playing another round of Pedantic SemanticsTM, a game that despite widespread popularity isn't actually fun.

It's kind of like nuclear war; everybody participates, nobody wins.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
My fav. was the dude who was like "if you believe that then don't read this" and then posted a link to Determinism like as if the fact that an alternative philosophical viewpoint exists is going to completely own me down to the soul.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
The theater experience that some of you have just baffles me. I live in an expensive part Southern California, but unless you're going to a 3D IMAX movie, tickets are never over $14 a person and most theatres have at least one day or so of ridiculously cheap tickets (my local Cinemark is $5.50 all day on Tuesdays). Commercials only run before the start time of the movie (unless you're counting previews, I guess). Like, it can be really expensive if you buy a ton of extra stuff, but if you just buy a ticket and show up close to the showtime, then it's not very expensive and you won't see a ton of commercials. At least at any theatre I've ever been to.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Is it really that hard to sit through a movie without stuffing your face? If my choices are "go two hours without eating or drinking" or "spend $20 on snacks and drinks that would cost me less than a buck anywhere else," guess which one I'm doing.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

The theaters around me are $24 for IMAX, $17 for regular, $9 for matinee regular screen movies that start before like 1 pm. I live in a medium sized city. :shrug:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

walrusman posted:

Is it really that hard to sit through a movie without stuffing your face? If my choices are "go two hours without eating or drinking" or "spend $20 on snacks and drinks that would cost me less than a buck anywhere else," guess which one I'm doing.

It is easily possible, but if my choices are "have delicious too buttery movie theater popcorn that I will later regret" or "don't have delicious too buttery movie theater popcorn that I will later regret," well, I live on the cutting, loving edge

:munch:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Karma Monkey posted:

Another benefit of poo poo rear end nowhere Ohio. While we don't have dusk-to-dawn shows there are double features for $5 starting again next month. Now that they've upgraded to digital it isn't even a painful experience to go to!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

walrusman posted:

You spend $20 on snacks and drinks.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Where are you going that movie theater-sized cups of soda are less than a dollar?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Virtually every gas station near me has a 32+ oz fountain drink for $0.69 or so.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
That's fuckin' bonkers.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It will be real someday

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Mu Zeta posted:

It will be real someday

my local movie theaters sizes are quarter, half, and 3/4 gallons, and i'm not joking

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I find this literally unbelievable and bewildering.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Like I give a goddamned poo poo about a movie theater company, I'm not going to buy over priced snacks so they can make money are you guys out of your mind? Charity capitalism loving baffles me every time.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Like I give a goddamned poo poo about a movie theater company, I'm not going to buy over priced snacks so they can make money are you guys out of your mind? Charity capitalism loving baffles me every time.

Nobody was saying that you should buy their overpriced snacks.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Just do what every reasonable man does and buy cheap poo poo-tier candies at the Dollar Tree, and superglue them behind your nutsack to smuggle them in.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

Just do what every reasonable man does and buy cheap poo poo-tier candies at the Dollar Tree, and superglue them behind your nutsack to smuggle them in.

Why the gently caress would I do that when every man is already equipped with Nature's Pocket?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sweeperbravo posted:

It is easily possible, but if my choices are "have delicious too buttery movie theater popcorn that I will later regret" or "don't have delicious too buttery movie theater popcorn that I will later regret," well, I live on the cutting, loving edge

:munch:

If it's all about the movie theater popcorn, just buy a carton of flavocol and yellow dyed coconut oil. Pop some popcorn in that and you have "delicious too buttery movie theater popcorn" any time you want!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Andrast posted:

Nobody was saying that you should buy their overpriced snacks.

This is true, but I'm weirded out when people go 'oh it's how they make money' and someone else goes 'sometimes I buy extra snacks'. It may be how movie theater companies make their money but that's their problem to deal with, as consumers you are under no responsibility to support their business model. This isn't charity it's a for profit business.

People seem to do the same thing with companies like AMD. "Oh I buy AMD to prevent a Intel / Nvidia monopoly" but AMD are the ones that got themselves into the mess in the first place and gave their competitors the monopoly control. Or people that say "buy American!" when the Chevy is made in Korea but the Toyota is made in Kentucky. A company would drop the poo poo out of you as a consumer if it made business sense for them, the least you could do is show them the same respect.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I just prefer giving my business to locally owned theatres/restaurants/whatever if at all possible. It's not that I feel I owe them anything, I just want them to stick around. I realize, of course, that that's not an option everywhere, but it is for me, so I take advantage :shrug:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Crow Jane posted:

I just prefer giving my business to locally owned theatres/restaurants/whatever if at all possible. It's not that I feel I owe them anything, I just want them to stick around. I realize, of course, that that's not an option everywhere, but it is for me, so I take advantage :shrug:

There's a difference between something like that and being beholden to international corporations. Frank at the grocery store knows your name, the CEO of AMD doesn't.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
People are allowed to spend their money for whatever legal reason they see fit :capitalism:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

RagnarokAngel posted:

People are allowed to spend their money for whatever legal reason they see fit :capitalism:

Tell me more.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Some food for thought. My mom lives in the Kalamazoo area, and there's a whole mess of theaters in driving distance, but only two I like going to:

1. An Alamo Drafthouse franchise. They're big and show lots of different types of movies, mainstream, arthouse, cult classics. Their prices are just a little bit cheaper than the multiplexes. They have big comfortable assigned seats with plenty of leg room, as well as having a full bar style counter in front of you at each row, because they serve food and booze there too, with full waitstaff. The food and liquor are upscale (Think Cosmos to go with your artisan pizza) and the prices reflect that, but the soft drinks are about average, and iirc, the popcorn's like two or three bucks for all you can eat. They also have fun theme reels before each film instead of the inane commercial reels, filled with old movie ads and cartoons and short films, tangentially related to the movie coming up (like when my mom and I saw What We Do In The Shadows, they had a bunch of vampire themed silliness). You're paying a premium price, but it feels like you're getting premium service, and like you're at a place that loves movies more than it loves your wallet.

2. There's a local owned non-franchise theater in one of the satellite towns that blows my mind. They show first run films and they're small, but somehow they have super cheap, second-run prices. It seems like they've cut almost all the luxury out. There's no box office, the popcorn and soda are in self-serve stations (after you pay at the counter, natch), most of their candy is local small business brands, they only have 2D standard screens, the floors aren't carpeted, the seats are old fashioned, etc. I'll give them this, they only run a couple previews so their movies start when they drat say they will. They must have figured out how to profit by volume, because I've never seen that place not crowded.

Two very polarizing examples of how business can be booming in the theater industry if your model isn't "rip off customers by thousands of percent on prices"

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Please write more 500 word essays about movie theaters you enjoy going to.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I don't go to movie theaters, goodbye!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

Where are you going that movie theater-sized cups of soda are less than a dollar?
Cumberland Farms around here has a 32oz drink and your choice of candy for $1.09

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Karma Monkey posted:

Were you banned for constantly driving through the drive in?
I miss the drive ins, used to go to them a lot in the 90s.
Haven't been to a cinema since about then too.

E: The drive in I used to go to in Perth Australia is still running too. http://galaxydrivein.com.au/location I remember when they switched from speakers you latched onto your window to a FM transmitter :corsair:

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 17:47 on Mar 16, 2016

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Look at these poor scrubs who don't just have Enrique act out all of the scenes of your favorite movie.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

jadebullet posted:

Look at these poor scrubs who don't just have Enrique act out all of the scenes of your favorite movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCBA1wii70o

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Iron Crowned posted:

If it's all about the movie theater popcorn, just buy a carton of flavocol and yellow dyed coconut oil. Pop some popcorn in that and you have "delicious too buttery movie theater popcorn" any time you want!

As someone who works at a popcorn factory that is not going to get you what you want.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

KakerMix posted:

On that note, remember ~a couple days ago when that guy made a post about the dumb marketing he had to sit through, and then we had to read about a half page of retards :stare:ing and calling him a crazy sexless shut-in for being bothered by how hosed up it is instead of blithely ignoring it and pretending it's healthy and cool? It's actually way more bizarre to me that anyone (at least anyone who's not a young child) isn't disturbed and alienated by ads. It's incredibly surreal to see people do capitalism's dirty work in this very thread, like, "you put thought into the aggressively manipulative addiction tactics bombarding your brain -> you're a loving weirdo who cares too much -> definitely an unclean, lonely virgin with budding schizophrenia, must publicly distance self." How mentally crippled do you have to be to think like that? Actually that's facetious and unfair; I think I know what it might be: people who have to see ads on the hour, like because of work or kids, or who choose to because of their hobbies (moviegoers), are envious of anyone who doesn't have to experience it. People are scared and irritated by anyone who wants to talk about ads being really harmful, and pro-capitalist narratives in society encourage ignoring that and labeling them as anxious, paranoid misfits.

I think commercials are a really weird and scary thing - sometimes they genuinely upset me - and I wish society could somehow disallow everyone from being targeted and awkwardly mindfucked by rich people like that. That sentence alone is probably enough to get lots of people thinking "I didn't know a nerd could be this crazy AND this dumb".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

For what it's worth, I agree with you.