Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah I know, I'm just bustin' your chops about trying to make his blindness significant in some way. Daredevil's superpower is being able to see. Barring something on television or on a billboard, he can tell what it is. Sometimes this includes colors.

You could do something interesting with that visually, and I assume the comics have done so. Neutral colors everywhere except where he can detect it by other means. So old paint in a room would be gray but food would be vivid and blood would be a striking contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bruceski posted:

You could do something interesting with that visually, and I assume the comics have done so. Neutral colors everywhere except where he can detect it by other means. So old paint in a room would be gray but food would be vivid and blood would be a striking contrast.

I'm not visualizing this very well, all that comes to mind is Madworld.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
This here is a game I'd love to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bd4OeguMpI

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Honestly, I just want a Superman Origins game. Progress the powers he has in the game similarly to the powers he gains over the time span of the comics--Starts off just leaping tall buildings with a single bound, can shrug off bullets to a certain extent, can punch dudes super hard, just wants to be a hero, but eventually becomes the Superman we all know and love over the course of the story. I mean, that's how a lot of superhero empowerment games work, you start off with nothing and then become unstoppable.

Plus, the thought of eventually overcoming your jump/double-jump/super-jump with a dramatic lead-up in the second-act climax that results in literal flight is pretty loving good overall, and could easily be made into a great moment. The hardest part is just knowing when to make Superman appropriately Super, instead of just throwing a flying demigod at the player with a health bar made up of Metropolis' overall well-being.

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
I thought of a good one - Deadman.

There have been games centred around possession before (2000's Messiah springs to mind), but yeah, I can see that working.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Arglebargle III posted:

An Iron Man game with suit-designing, suit combat, and Tony Stark adventure/conversation as three core gameplay elements would be amazing. Holy crap. Like a Deus Ex title with a more expansive skill tree, constant respecs, and more brawl/arcade style combat.

Call me crazy but I think a Thor title with combat stolen from the Arkham series would be a good time. Thor has a much brighter tone as a franchise and huge possibilities for level design and enemy variety. I think grimdark superheroes have been done to death at this point and a more adventure/brawl focused Thor game would go over well right now. The Thor/Loki buddy adventure sequence from Thor 2 could sustain a whole 30 hour AAA game by itself, those two are so much fun when they're stuck with each other.

A Thor/Hercules game based on the comics would be fun as hell. Something like a light-hearted God Of War reimagined as a buddy comedy - Hercules as the boisterous bruiser, Thor as the straight man, with the pair of them beating up myths and legends for, essentially, shits and giggles.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I've got a tickle in the back of my throat and nose, which is really annoying and might affect my voice commentary. Luckily I have already done videos in advance.

A Real Scorcher/Polsy

New character(s): Firefly

New stories: Keep Your Friends Close, Taking Out The Trash

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've said it before but I'll keep saying it: (Arkham, no idea about comics) Firefly is awesome. You can just tell he's enjoying his job so much and Crispin Freeman is doing a great job with that voice.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Two things about Firefly in this game:

1. You have mid-air gadgets, but don't have an aerial boss fight with him. :(

2. He says you only beat him once, but there are posters of him being wanted strewn around in Arkham Asylum, which undoubtedly means Batman had to have dealt with him more than once.

Interestingly enough, Crispin Freeman seems to be giving Firefly a damaged voice this time around, as though his burns have gotten worse.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Firefly is fun. He clearly enjoys what he does.

On his voice getting more damaged what with all the gasps in his speech. He is not even wearing his Flameproof suit anymore so likely his condition has gotten worse. (Plus the dude really likes to talk)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

1. You have mid-air gadgets, but don't have an aerial boss fight with him. :(
Oh, yeah, it's a total waste, especially since you have to do aerial takedowns on the Man-Bat; imagine combining that with predator-style stealth.
Honestly I'm just glad they brought him back since they seem to avoid Origins as much as possible.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Really the only problem with Catwoman's combat is that they didn't really give it any depth. If they actually put the effort into creating distinctive combat for each character and put that in a setting that you could call them in to any section of the game after earning them, such as a Battle for the Cowl/Batman Inc. game, Rocksteady could learn from what mostly went wrong with the AK challenge maps.

Also there is something beautiful in the idea of Joker being batman's wingman for his weird relationships. "Come on, Bruce. You have to start thinking about the future. If you don't make a little Wayne that you and some woman don't horrifically die in front of, who will be the next Batman?!"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

You know, if all the Joker is going to do this game is being a sarcastic commenter I'm actually warming up to the idea, since he's actually being funny, in a :magical: way, and he's not actively hijacking (Jokerjacking) the plot.

I fear that they'll try to have this plotline go somewhere though, with the inevitable Jokerjack.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Really the only problem with Catwoman's combat is that they didn't really give it any depth.

That and the fact that Catwoman can still do her kiss takedown on Riddler's robots.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Omobono posted:

You know, if all the Joker is going to do this game is being a sarcastic commenter I'm actually warming up to the idea, since he's actually being funny, in a :magical: way, and he's not actively hijacking (Jokerjacking) the plot.

I'm against it myself. This game seems to have more Joker than the games that starred a living Joker since at least he was sequestered to the mainplot instead of also showing up in side missions to poo poo up Riddler/Manbat/etc's 15 minutes. I might be biased though since they could have frontloaded the Joker content nearer to the revelation but, man, I'm not at all confident in this series' ability to moderate its use of the Joker.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

2. He says you only beat him once, but there are posters of him being wanted strewn around in Arkham Asylum, which undoubtedly means Batman had to have dealt with him more than once.

Arkham Asylum is probably only semi canon now, it wasn't supposed to take place in it's own universe originally. The game is filled with references that are later contradicted by the later games (Hush has a character profile for example when his first appearance in-universe is in City).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Veotax posted:

The marketing for Origins said that it took place five years before Asylum, which is really hard to swallow. Having Bruce be on his third Robin in just five years seems a bit much (while Jason hasn't been directly mentioned, there is a line from Joker in the visitor room in Asylum that mentions him killing a Robin). But there is a line of dialogue later on in one of the sidequests that retcons Origins as having happened ten years before Knight, which is a little easier to buy.

Not as bad as the New 52, where he went through four. But only one Batgirl.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Asylum feels very much like 'another Batman story' than its own seperate universe. The only thing that really affected the sequels was Titian, and the Joker's use of it. If the story had been told in a comic, it wouldn't have affected the status quo, they'd be able to go back to normal afterwards with a few handwaves to explain away why Joker is back to normal after.

I can imagine the plot of the first game being a story arc in Batman or Dectective comics or something. Like in a solication it would be:

-Detective Comics # 745
- 'Night at the Asylum' Part Six
- With Titan running through his and the Joker's veins, can Batman defeat a monster, while resisting becoming one himself?
- Also, what is the secret of the 'Arkham City' and what shocking consequences will it have for the Dark Knight?
- The exciting conclusion to 'Night at the Asylum' !
AUG 2009 $2.99 35 Pages

Or something like that.

And as much as Catwoman getting kidnapped might be a bit uninspired, her unimpressed responses to it are hilarious, and fit the character really well.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

OldMemes posted:

Asylum feels very much like 'another Batman story' than its own seperate universe. The only thing that really affected the sequels was Titian, and the Joker's use of it. If the story had been told in a comic, it wouldn't have affected the status quo, they'd be able to go back to normal afterwards with a few handwaves to explain away why Joker is back to normal after.

Hehehe, funnily enough, exactly this has happened, in The Batman. He had an associated hair malfunction there too. :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

OldMemes posted:

You can also see this in the illustrations of characters that wouldn't appear in person until City, like Riddler and Penguin, and they're pretty much just their comic versions rather than what they've been defined as in the Arkham series.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JamieTheD posted:

Hehehe, funnily enough, exactly this has happened, in The Batman. He had an associated hair malfunction there too. :v:
I love Batman's voice in this show. Like, I realized it's been tinkered with by the uploader but he just sounds so wonderfully snide.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

death .cab for qt posted:

Honestly, I just want a Superman Origins game. Progress the powers he has in the game similarly to the powers he gains over the time span of the comics--Starts off just leaping tall buildings with a single bound, can shrug off bullets to a certain extent, can punch dudes super hard, just wants to be a hero, but eventually becomes the Superman we all know and love over the course of the story. I mean, that's how a lot of superhero empowerment games work, you start off with nothing and then become unstoppable.

Plus, the thought of eventually overcoming your jump/double-jump/super-jump with a dramatic lead-up in the second-act climax that results in literal flight is pretty loving good overall, and could easily be made into a great moment. The hardest part is just knowing when to make Superman appropriately Super, instead of just throwing a flying demigod at the player with a health bar made up of Metropolis' overall well-being.
for what it's worth, this is pretty much Saint's Row IV.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

OldMemes posted:

And as much as Catwoman getting kidnapped might be a bit uninspired, her unimpressed responses to it are hilarious, and fit the character really well.

And, because she's voiced by Grey Delisle, you can totally hear more of Azula bleeding into her voice the more pissed-off she gets.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That trophy outside the orphanage was bugged. I had to reset my game to get it to work when the game first released.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Asylum is definitely only semi-canon at this point. Hardly any of those profiles make sense with the universe they've built since then. Plus there was an eerie lack of Robin mentioning, he didn't even have a profile, and Tim was definitely Robin during those events.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Folks asked about the advantages of clearing tanks out of areas and thus letting police resume patrols- in addition to letting you get around safer, police patrols will periodically highlight mission objectives (such as serial killer and, I think, Azrael locations) in the islands they have access to.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That and the fact that Catwoman can still do her kiss takedown on Riddler's robots.

I believe the animation is actually modified, but not enough that she's not still doing it a bit.

On asylum's canonicity, it seems like the profiles are basically completely discarded, but everything that appears ingame is pretty much still accurate.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The voice acting is excellent. I didn't like Troy Baker's Arkham Knight at first, but he's growing on me - I like the balance between angry and smug he's doing.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

SonicRulez posted:

Asylum is definitely only semi-canon at this point. Hardly any of those profiles make sense with the universe they've built since then. Plus there was an eerie lack of Robin mentioning, he didn't even have a profile, and Tim was definitely Robin during those events.

Yeah, Joker explicitly says Batman could use a new sidekick in Asylum, which unless you really stretch it to mean "your current Robin sucks, you should get a new one," contradicts the Batgirl DLC in Knight, which has Tim Drake active as Robin while Barbara's still Batgirl. If the DLC had had Nightwing instead, it could be made to work (especially if Knight retconned Origins to 10 years prior instead of 5), but :shrug: COMIC BOOKS!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

OldMemes posted:

The voice acting is excellent. I didn't like Troy Baker's Arkham Knight at first, but he's growing on me - I like the balance between angry and smug he's doing.
Well it beats the hell out of his Joker. Although that's more the fault of the writing, really.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there some comic books backstory I'm not aware of re: the Azrael stuff? It sure seems to come out of left field for this guy to show up and promise to be a good Batman. I mean I know he showed up in City to make some meaninglessly vague prophecies, but if Batman had any reaction to them besides shrugging and ignoring him I don't remember it. He doesn't seem like the sort to trust some shmoe in a cape just on his word, especially since he already has Nightwing and Robin running around.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He's got the whole Knights Templar aesthetic going on and Bruce appreciates a good aesthetic.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there some comic books backstory I'm not aware of re: the Azrael stuff? It sure seems to come out of left field for this guy to show up and promise to be a good Batman. I mean I know he showed up in City to make some meaninglessly vague prophecies, but if Batman had any reaction to them besides shrugging and ignoring him I don't remember it. He doesn't seem like the sort to trust some shmoe in a cape just on his word, especially since he already has Nightwing and Robin running around.

He was the guy who took over for Batman when Bane broke Batman for the first time in Knightfall.

The reasoning behind not using Nightwing or Robin back then was as sketchy as it is now, as one reason he took over was to have a more violent batman in place of bruce as a 90's thing, though I do not remember if it was by parody or in earnest. It was sort of like how Superman got killed and then had four replacements that were each what Superman was not.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there some comic books backstory I'm not aware of re: the Azrael stuff? It sure seems to come out of left field for this guy to show up and promise to be a good Batman.

It's almost what happened in the comics when Bruce broke his back. He hands the mantle to this 90s xtreme new guy over nightwing and inevitably comes to regret that decision.

In the comics you could argue that Drake wasn't ready yet since he was like 15 and Nightwing already branched off and became his own man, recalling him to be Batman might be a little awkward.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

He was the guy who took over for Batman when Bane broke Batman for the first time in Knightfall.

The reasoning behind not using Nightwing or Robin back then was as sketchy as it is now, as one reason he took over was to have a more violent batman in place of bruce as a 90's thing, though I do not remember if it was by parody or in earnest. It was sort of like how Superman got killed and then had four replacements that were each what Superman was not.

As a note, that was Jean Paul Valley Azrael, while this Azrael is Michael Lane.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Lane, but they seem to be merging bits of JPV with his character?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Acne Rain posted:

Basically this, but it was a bit more... intense for Jean Paul Valley. Yes, he took over for Batman but the problem was that the programming he got from the Order of St Dumas was a bit too intense for him to weather. Azrael would have been a pretty worthy successor if not for that. He was very brainwashed into his role against fighting evil. Even as he took up the mantle of the Bat he was visited by vision of St Dumas himself urging him on to even more decisive measures against evil. That vision was what made him put on those vicious claw gauntlets that had wrist-mounted batarang launchers. When the cape held him back because of lovely aerodynamics he changed it to long strips of some vaguely cape-like design. All the while "St Dumas" urged him to keep at the whole fight against evil at all costs. Jean Paul became Batman without the whole not killing people thing.

It took Bruce a while of both physical and mental recovery before he was able to take on the new Batman. In the end it all came down to stripping Jean Paul of the mantle and cowl to get him to see just how far he'd fallen.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Acne Rain posted:

To be more specific, this Azrael is the replacement for the guy who took over for Batman in Knightfall. This one's Michael Lane, not Jean Paul Valley. And Jean Paul Valley? Was pretty much a lesson in why you have your writers talk to each other, because Jean Paul's first storyline (Apart from, y'know, being an origin) was about breaking the mental condition the Order of St. Dumas put on him, and then the whole reason he goes nuts as AzBat? That same conditioning wot he broke. Somehow exacerbated by the suit he designed. For all that it has its good bits, Knightfall... Isn't terribly well written.

Then he died, and now he's back, along with Michael Lane in the New 52. They seem to carom between getting duped or hypnotised by some group or other, and breaking out of it, and they come out the worse for it as characters. So I honestly wouldn't be surprised if something like that happened here, because that's what they often do with Azrael.

EDIT: Beaten with a slightly different, but no less accurate perspective on the Azrael thing. :haw:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

hard counter posted:

In the comics you could argue that Drake wasn't ready yet since he was like 15 and Nightwing already branched off and became his own man, recalling him to be Batman might be a little awkward.
Sure but I bet Nightwing would be willing to help out in Gotham even if not literally as Batman if Alfred called up and said Hey Bruce had a spine injury you think you could punch thugs here for a month?

Waffleman_ posted:

He's got the whole Knights Templar aesthetic going on and Bruce appreciates a good aesthetic.
This is a good reason and I can understand it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think Bruce was afraid of Dick fighting Bane, too, if I'm not mistaken.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Vicissitude posted:

Also, it's pronounced "peh-dant" not "pee-dant" :v:
You would of let it go if you could of.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Great Joe posted:

You would of let it go if you could of.

:dogbutton:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SonicRulez posted:

Giving an in-depth analysis on a game that you haven't completed is a bit ridiculous.
It isn't at all. You can analyse part of a piece of media just as well as you can the whole thing, and the context of the discussion here is obviously the bits we've seen so far.

SonicRulez posted:

Before you declare Oracle as completely useless, you have to see where it goes. And fair bones to Rocksteady, they immediately disprove your point by having Batman go to Lucius for something and he says "This was Oracle's specialty. It's gonna take me some time." And then you have to do a couple sidequests to give him time to work it out. That's not completely revolutionizing gameplay, but it did do what you asked.
It really doesn't though, because it doesn't acknowledge what Oracle's actual role in the game is. She delivers exposition to justify the next section of gameplay. There are about half a dozen other characters who have the exact same role. Nothing actually changes when she disappears. If they wanted to make her loss impactful, they needed to make her actually functionally different. Like, maybe if she did something that helped you in combat, so without her you lacked an ability you'd come to rely on. Or if you could call your allies at will to get or activate something and now you can no longer call her. Or if there had been a clear pattern of upgrade unlocks and now that she's gone you get fewer or no upgrades. But none of that is true.

snograt posted:

Any ideas on a superhero that would make a good game character?
Either a Shadowrun Returns or Dragon Age Origins style RPG starring the X-Men.

or

A strategy game in which you control a team of heroes and have to choose the right hero(es) for the right mission and pick which missions to take to get the resources you need, like you might send Batman out to investigate a crime scene for clues while the Green Arrow rescues some kidnapped scientists and the Flash keeps the villain and his henchmen busy elsewhere.

• Locked thread