Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

The priv is literally nothing like a Nexus, it's a flimsy poor excuse for a modern smartphone.

But but but keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

My N5X is an entirely different phone after the update, and by different I mean complete better and perfect in every way.

After bitching about this earlier in the thread I can confirm the same. Just to be safe I did a factory reset post-update and this is the longest I've gone so far without a crash, so far so good!

CLAM DOWN posted:

The priv is literally nothing like a Nexus, it's a flimsy poor excuse for a modern smartphone.

I'm still totally getting one in a few days, or maybe a G5 just for fun if I can scam Rogers properly.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

My N5X is an entirely different phone after the update, and by different I mean complete better and perfect in every way.

Coming from a midrange phone that was already slow when it was first released (Moto X 2k13), the 5X seemed just fine to me. Now, I realize that everyone's complaints were valid but NOW it's a good phone. App loading times are noticeably faster, especially Chrome and the camera. Plus we got 6P's sRGB color display mode. Google did a lot of things right with that last update.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

I've called the Nexus 5X a "huge piece of poo poo" in this thread before but this is 100% true, makes me wonder what the hell was wrong with it before. It's better to the point where I'm tempted to just give the S7 to my wife (she likes Samsung phones and really needs an upgrade) and use the 5X instead.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Plus we got 6P's sRGB color display mode. Google did a lot of things right with that last update.
We did? I can't seem to find it anywhere in Settings.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

IAmKale posted:

We did? I can't seem to find it anywhere in Settings.

Like on the 6P it's buried in the developer settings for some reason. Go to About Phone, tap Build Number until a message pops up, then you can go in there and turn on "Cool color temperature".

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Not sure if should ask here or in the apps thread but:
Phone was recently updated to Marshmallow.
Google maps version, as far as I can tell is 9.21 (last updated February 22).

If I go to the play store, I see that Maps was last updated March 15, 2016. (and that version varies with device).

Anyway, ever since either the Marshmallow update or the last Maps update, sometimes when I try to navigate somewhere, Maps will lock up on the first or second turn of the route. Each time this has happened, I didn't know it locked up until I noticed that the icon was going nowhere and no updates or audio cues telling me of turns. Trying to click on the app would result in Android saying (a few seconds after touching screen) that the app has stopped responding and if it should Wait or Close. I decided to close each time.

After closing, the app did close out, but then my phone would also reboot for no reason at all.

Maps seemed to work fine after that, though. Until the next time it locked up and rebooted phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

Not sure if should ask here or in the apps thread but:
Phone was recently updated to Marshmallow.
Google maps version, as far as I can tell is 9.21 (last updated February 22).

If I go to the play store, I see that Maps was last updated March 15, 2016. (and that version varies with device).

Anyway, ever since either the Marshmallow update or the last Maps update, sometimes when I try to navigate somewhere, Maps will lock up on the first or second turn of the route. Each time this has happened, I didn't know it locked up until I noticed that the icon was going nowhere and no updates or audio cues telling me of turns. Trying to click on the app would result in Android saying (a few seconds after touching screen) that the app has stopped responding and if it should Wait or Close. I decided to close each time.

After closing, the app did close out, but then my phone would also reboot for no reason at all.

Maps seemed to work fine after that, though. Until the next time it locked up and rebooted phone.

Well here is the current version, 9.22, try installing that.

If it still does the same thing maybe clear data for Maps and see if that helps? Beyond that make sure your location settings are for high accuracy? This is weird one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Daily Forecast posted:

I've called the Nexus 5X a "huge piece of poo poo" in this thread before but this is 100% true, makes me wonder what the hell was wrong with it before. It's better to the point where I'm tempted to just give the S7 to my wife (she likes Samsung phones and really needs an upgrade) and use the 5X instead.

Reminds me of when the Nexus S (or was it the Galaxy Nexus) got Ice Cream Sandwich (or was it Jelly Bean) and the heap size was configured incorrectly for the phone and changing it was like night and day.

Well sure, if you set TurboSpeed to 1 it runs faster!

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Ok I can't decide whether to get the 5x or Moto X Pure. Please help me, gentle goons. If the price difference isn't an issue, is there an objectively best choice?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Tsyni posted:

Ok I can't decide whether to get the 5x or Moto X Pure. Please help me, gentle goons. If the price difference isn't an issue, is there an objectively best choice?

Smythe posted:

It's not a Nexus. Do not purchase. Do not ever deviate from the Nexus program.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
Do not, under any circumstance, purchase an Android phone outside the Nexus program. There are no circumstances where it is preferable, desirable, or acceptable. There are no edge cases. There are no use cases. There are absolutely zero times when it is advisable to purchase a non-Nexus Android handset. Accept no other advice. Court no other offers. Deliberate on no other consultancy. Do not, under any circumstance, purchase an Android phone outside the Nexus program.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tsyni posted:

I own both and the X is head and shoulders above the 5x.

It's not that the 5x is bad, it's a good phone. The X just has a level of polish the 5x lacks.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Tsyni posted:

MXP is better because it's 99% stock Android but it has Moto Voice and Moto Actions which completely own, also Smythe is a loving retard hope this helps

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

If Moto would release a 5x sized phone with killer battery life and current gen specs that would pretty much be the perfect phone. Not sure why that's difficult to do since it seems that's sort of what people like but whatever.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Only reason I got a 5x over the Moto X Pure is because the Pure is not available in my country.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Ok, thank you for your input, gentlemen.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Syrinxx posted:

MXP is better because it's 99% stock Android but it has Moto Voice and Moto Actions which completely own, also Smythe is a loving retard hope this helps

A "loving retard" because I have differing opinions on consumer electronics? Yea? That's pretty normal.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Smythe posted:

A "loving retard" because I have differing opinions on consumer electronics? Yea? That's pretty normal.
I was thinking back to when you said you hoped someone got physically beaten because they didn't buy a Nexus, specifically. But keep on yosposing it up in here I guess

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Syrinxx posted:

I was thinking back to when you said you hoped someone got physically beaten because they didn't buy a Nexus, specifically. But keep on yosposing it up in here I guess

Yea dude. I was freaking channeling some karmic vibrations to beat that dude up. Psyche, you know that's bull poo poo. Get a grip dude.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Wasn't Motorola the company that dropped update support for a phone like 12-14 months after the phone was released?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Smythe your posts are just insufferable

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

He's right, though. Most Android phones are straight garbage.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

RZA Encryption posted:

So he's not right. Because the number of android phones that are not nexuses and also not garbage is upwards of one.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
lmao I used the N5X for a day today instead of my S7 and I had forgotten what it's like to carry a phone around with me that's a total flimsy piece of cardboard.

I really hope this/next year's Nexus actually focuses on build quality, that's been so bad ever since the Nexus 4.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

RZA Encryption posted:

But so are all of his posts.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

BottleKnight posted:

So he's not right. Because the number of android phones that are not nexuses and also not garbage is upwards of one.

Why not name one?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

fart simpson posted:

Why not name one?

The Moto X Pure Edition, the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 & S7 Edge, the LG V10.

Stock Android is undeniably great but bad OEM software is only truly bad if it's irreplaceable.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ah yes, phones from the maunfacturers that only push updates 5-6 months late and only to their recent phones. Those are very good.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

The Nexus 5X was an absurdly mediocre, mostly bad phone until recently. But because it got monthly security patches it was better than an S7?

The fact that the Nexuses get constant updates is just another pro/con. I still wouldn't trade my Note 5 for a 6P.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

fart simpson posted:

Ah yes, phones from the maunfacturers that only push updates 5-6 months late and only to their recent phones. Those are very good.

The latest version of Android is whatever is on Samsung's latest flagship. Anything else Google has is gravy.

Doesn't matter how you personally feel about that, but it's true. Nexus phones are totally irrelevant in the larger scheme of things.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

So I've just been told by Virgin Mobile that my (preordered) S7 Edge is going to be delayed by another 2 weeks, despite them guaranteeing me beforehand that I would get it on the day of release. Sick service :thumbsup:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

The latest version of Android is whatever is on Samsung's latest flagship. Anything else Google has is gravy.

Doesn't matter how you personally feel about that, but it's true. Nexus phones are totally irrelevant in the larger scheme of things.

Four sentences, all of them factually incorrect. Nice work!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I have a Verizon Motorola Turbo 2. A week ago I got the first update (1 of 2) for marshmallow. When I started the update, the updater just disappeared and I ended up back at the home screen.

I've been waiting for it to pop up again, but now I'm worried it wrong ever happen. Is there a way to force it? When I check system updates from settings, it says I am up to date.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

Whizbang posted:

It's almost like it's an unfinished beta of an OS that will be out in 6 months and flashing it if you're not a developer is a dumb thing to do?

Incorrect, these whilst annoying can be worked around by restarting the phone, going around to the normal camera app and being patient. Getting oses out into the wild so it's not in a lab means more bug reports get filed and the OS improved.

If these are the only issues I experience then I'm pretty pleased with what they are developing. Seems like a lot of under the hood updates which will increase performance/stability but that's subjective.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

taqueso posted:

I have a Verizon Motorola Turbo 2. A week ago I got the first update (1 of 2) for marshmallow. When I started the update, the updater just disappeared and I ended up back at the home screen.

I've been waiting for it to pop up again, but now I'm worried it wrong ever happen. Is there a way to force it? When I check system updates from settings, it says I am up to date.

Believe it or not, Verizon actually supports sideloading updates.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-116821/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

uPen posted:

Wasn't Motorola the company that dropped update support for a phone like 12-14 months after the phone was released?

Wasn't that due to Verizon being total shitters about it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
On Marshmallow, is the volume adjustment popup supposed to stick around until you tap somewhere else rather than timing out? Because that's pretty annoying.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

On Marshmallow, is the volume adjustment popup supposed to stick around until you tap somewhere else rather than timing out? Because that's pretty annoying.

It times out after ~4 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

uPen posted:

Yes. They ended updates for carrier-branded 2014 Moto X's before they were barely even a year old.

FAUXTON posted:

Wasn't that due to Verizon being total shitters about it?

They never gave an explanation why, at least not by the time I had said gently caress 'em and moved onto another phone and stopped caring about Moto's shittiness.