Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

The History of Byzantium Podcast says they'll have a Very Special Guest for the 100th episode.

Will it be Mike Duncan? It seems like Robin was searching for his blessing since he started the project.

It's Mike Duncan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I know the Lesser Bonapartes are bit hit or miss, but I was dying during bits of their series on the Aztecs. They also finally got improved (though still not great) audio equipment

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

I know the Lesser Bonapartes are bit hit or miss, but I was dying during bits of their series on the Aztecs. They also finally got improved (though still not great) audio equipment

I skipped most of the Charlemagne finale because I couldn't stand their rude as hell guest who kept on interrupting them (the history of Germany guy) though I do like that they are now going for the full hour mark on their episodes.
The new weird weapons episode was pretty good though somewhat disturbing. (human fat bombs :stonklol:)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Uh... somehow my subscription to the Revolutions podcast got messed up in my Apple podcasts app, and it seems to have...merged? with another podcast called Juicing Radio, which looks to be all about juice cleanses.

So I've got an episode about The Third Comission in the Haitian revolution sitting next to an episode called "Part 3 Charlie Bruno on life after a 300 day juice only fast".

Anybody else ever have this happen to them?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

How are u posted:

Uh... somehow my subscription to the Revolutions podcast got messed up in my Apple podcasts app, and it seems to have...merged? with another podcast called Juicing Radio, which looks to be all about juice cleanses.

So I've got an episode about The Third Comission in the Haitian revolution sitting next to an episode called "Part 3 Charlie Bruno on life after a 300 day juice only fast".

Is the juicecast good?

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Curious about this as well, I'm a bit of an ignoramus when it comes to juice but I'd love to learn more

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I've never had it mix up two different podcasts, but I've definitely had it lose track of episode listings before. So a weekly show will suddenly get the last 6 months showing up on a single day as unlistened, and of course it'll helpfully download them all for you - hope you weren't near your data cap! This has happened twice to me on two different podcasts :(

I've found lately that the app likes to randomly close itself as well, so I'll be listening and not even using my phone otherwise and the volume just fades out and stops. I have to unlock my phone, re-open the Podcasts app and hit play again for it to resume. I'd say this happens every 2-3 hours of listening - so annoying!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

How are u posted:

I've had podcast icons get lost/change. Please report back on your new-found juicing lifestyle.

webmeister posted:

I've never had it mix up two different podcasts, but I've definitely had it lose track of episode listings before. So a weekly show will suddenly get the last 6 months showing up on a single day as unlistened, and of course it'll helpfully download them all for you - hope you weren't near your data cap! This has happened twice to me on two different podcasts :(

I've found lately that the app likes to randomly close itself as well, so I'll be listening and not even using my phone otherwise and the volume just fades out and stops. I have to unlock my phone, re-open the Podcasts app and hit play again for it to resume. I'd say this happens every 2-3 hours of listening - so annoying!

Reboot your phone.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Good lord don't use the native Apple app for podcasts, use almost anything else instead (I like overcast but there's an entire thread of recommendations)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Has there been any update from Dan Carlin on the HH? I know he puts out a ton content per episode, but how about a heads up on the topic

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

I think the assumption is it's going to be a part II to the last one on the near East

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Has the Myths and Legends podcast been mentioned yet? It's fantastic.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Come ooooon Dan Carlin I need part 2!!!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

CountFosco posted:

Come ooooon Dan Carlin I need part 2!!!

I need that fix man.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It does feel like it's been forever

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

5 months is getting pretty common :(

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Swagger Dagger posted:

5 months is getting pretty common :(

So he's at what, 24 hours per 1 minute of content?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I have an idea, it might not be good: Why doesn't Dan Carlin just make those huge Hardcore Histories and cleverly edits it into like 4 parters that lasts like a month or three? For example, he does a 4 hour episode on an event and edits it in quarters so that after each hour he just edits in "Tune in next time for part two of so and so on Hardcore History". That way he releases a new episode every month and it gives him time to do whatever he'd like to do next, and the masses get something to tide us over until next month's episode.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm sure they've thought of that but part of the reason the shows are so much longer now is they don't have good pause points. He's really good at building a narrative and telling the story, and breaking it up would disrupt the flow of that.

I don't mind it, there are plenty of other good history podcasts nowadays, enough that I barely manage to keep up with the ones I like. I can't think of a bad HH episode so I'm fine with him doing whatever works for him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm sure they've thought of that but part of the reason the shows are so much longer now is they don't have good pause points. He's really good at building a narrative and telling the story, and breaking it up would disrupt the flow of that.

I don't mind it, there are plenty of other good history podcasts nowadays, enough that I barely manage to keep up with the ones I like. I can't think of a bad HH episode so I'm fine with him doing whatever works for him.

I bought the archives and the only ones I dislike are the interview episodes

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Wanted to give this more love, since I started listening to it because of this post and it's pretty fun.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

This sounds good. Is its mission statement what the title says? I've tried lore and it's fine but it's a bit too much folk tales for me at times.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This sounds good. Is its mission statement what the title says? I've tried lore and it's fine but it's a bit too much folk tales for me at times.

The emphasis has been on legends rather than myths (I really liked the Volsung Saga series) but having said that there's plenty of mythology as well, and you can pick the episodes based on their titles. Give it a listen in any case, though, because what really makes the podcast is the guy's witty writing and wry delivery. I love it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/711232263489388544

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Wooooo!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
King of Kings 2?! but the guy passed away in the last episode? who's he talking about this time?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

:suspense:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Al-Saqr posted:

King of Kings 2?! but the guy passed away in the last episode? who's he talking about this time?

It's actually a series about Triple H, the first episode was just leaving the groundwork.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's up.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Holy crap, You Must Remember This is really good. Didn't expect much, but the fact it provides social commentary and historic context got me really excited. Listening to the series on Manson btw.

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 20, 2016

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Without spoiling anything, is it just a two-parter? I haven't listened to part 1 yet since I like doing the whole thing in one go.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Spoilers for the persian shah?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

drat it Carlin I had poo poo to do today

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The man warns: Wrath of Khans is about to stop being free. Download it now if you haven't listened to it yet.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Without spoiling anything, is it just a two-parter? I haven't listened to part 1 yet since I like doing the whole thing in one go.

Not only is it a 3-parter, I could see this going to 4.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

In that case looks like I'm gonna need more podcasts to fill in while I keep sitting on this one.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'd say it's not a terribly exciting episode, especially compared to the last one (which is one of if not my favorite HH ever), but I guess I'm just bitter about the inevitable outcome of being bogged down in the Greco-Persian Wars.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Rodyle posted:

I'd say it's not a terribly exciting episode, especially compared to the last one (which is one of if not my favorite HH ever), but I guess I'm just bitter about the inevitable outcome of being bogged down in the Greco-Persian Wars.

I'd agree, he has a lot of digressions and kind of just jumps around. Its not bad, but its not his best

motorcyclesarejets
Apr 24, 2007
I'm a big fan of his history professor voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Hardcore History: An assassination related startup company.